Antrim v Laois, Leinster SHC, Sunday 3rd May

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Antrim v Laois, Leinster SHC, Sunday 3rd May

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This match will have a big bearing on Offaly's Leinster Senior hurling campaign. The winners will likely top the group and will go on to provide Offaly's opposition in the Leinster quarter-final.

South Offaly folk will be keeping an even closer eye. If Laois is the opposition, O'Connor Park will be the venue on June 7th. That being the case it would justify the decision not to move the NHL quarter-final to Birr.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Re: Antrim v Laois, Leinster SHC, Sunday 3rd May

Post by townman »

Leix me arse, where will it be now if Antrim win in mullingar next weekend :lol: :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Man from the Laois border taking the opportunity to have a jeer at Laois' expense.
townman wrote:Leix me arse, where will it be now if Antrim win in mullingar next weekend :lol: :lol:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Antrim's win at Ballycastle puts a whole new spin on who will win the group and go on the face Offaly in five weeks time.

For Laois to top the group, they now need Antrim to slip up, naturally. But, because of the 'head to head' rule and with just two rounds remaining, Laois need a third team to join themselves and Antrim at the top of the group in order that they can win the group on scoring difference. In short, Laois need to beat both Carlow and Westmeath, but they also require Antrim to slip up against Westmeath. Antrim slipping up against Carlow (but not against Westmeath) will not suffice for Laois.

I'm not quite sure but I do believe Antrim v Offaly would be at a neutral venue. IIRC, Wexford played Antrim at Portlaoise last year.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I was in at Westmeath vs Carlow myself yesterday, and I have to say I was quite impressed with Westmeath - I know Antrim is a step up in class, but they definitely have a chance against them. Westmeath are very strong in the air at half back and half forward, every player from 10 to 15 scored at least twice from play so they definitely have a forward line in form, and if they cut out the messing from short puckouts which cost them a goal and a couple of points, they would have won by a lot more - and it would have been deserved.

I note the last time we played Westmeath in the Leinster SHC was in 1976 in Croke Park, and before that it appeared as if there was a home and away arrangement there, with the meeting in Birr in 1971 the most recent outing on either Offaly or Westmeath territory. If that still stands and Westmeath did top the group, then we'd be due to head to Mullingar - which would still be preferable to playing Antrim in Parnell Park, to my mind, if for no either reason that it's nice to hurl against Leinster counties in the Leinster hurling championship.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Hmmm! I’d still be sceptical about Westmeath at this stage. To top the group, they’d have to beat both Antrim and Laois, or else beat Antrim while losing to Laois and hoping to outflank the other two on scoring difference. It’s hard to see that happening.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

after todays wins for laois and westmeath, some win for westmeath beating Antrim by 17 points, westmeath top the table and will play offaly if laois don't beat them by 9 points or more in portlaoise in two weeks time.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The weak group thrown on its head with today's results. The group currently reads -

Westmeath 2 wins, (diff +19)
Laois 1 win (diff +2)
Antrim 1 win (diff -16)
Carlow 0 wins (diff -5)

Two scenarios in a fortnight. The first, if Carlow beat Antrim, then it is straightforward - the winner of Laois v Westmeath will play Offaly.

The second, if Antrim beat Carlow, then Laois need to beat Westmeath by 9 or more in order to play Offaly. Otherwise, Westmeath would top the group. It's hard to see Antrim overturning their scoring difference deficits on Laois (18) or Westmeath (35).

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

On today's viewing (Laois v Carlow) it will almost certainly be Westmeath ye are playing, and it will probably be a tougher test for ye too. Laois were 11 up and cruising, tried to hold that lead instead of increasing it and if a last minute free that was lobbed into the square produced a goal Laois would now be out of the championship. Fairly shocking stuff from us over in truth so far.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Laois are showing all the hallmarks of a team in heavy training at the moment. It's only logical. They were always going to qualify from the weak group and will be aiming to peak for the Leinster quarter-final in a months time. Now is the time to get that training done. Shure when else are they going to do it?

Séamus Plunkett gave that away with his closing remarks when interviewed on the radio. Boffoonery. "Whether we'll be able to turn up at all", "Whether we'll be able for Westmeath at all" and "Not even assured if I'll be able to manage them on the sideline". Take Laois to win, then.

And I wish the radio would desist from using nicknames, regardless of how familiar they are with the players. This 'Butch', 'Pickie', 'Cheddar' stuff cracks me.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

The things that annoy you POTH, you remind me of Victor Meldrew!

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I heard the interview too Plain and thought the very same thing. The ironic thing about talking the opposition up like that is that it is pretty much an admission/acceptance that you are the favourites and that you really should be beating them. If they were playing Dublin next he'd be talking about how good Laois are and that they'd give it a real go, etc... Anything less and he'd be accused of being too negative, not inspiring the team, etc.

People can read through that so easily now that I don't even know why the managers bother with it. If "cheddar" didn't think he'd be able for the Westmeath manager on the line, he'd never have put himself in the position of being Laois manager.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Leix footballers play Kildare in OCP on Saturday June 6th.

Possibility (a strong one, too) that Offaly will be hurling Leix in OCP the following day. It would be logical that Leix will enquire about the possibility of a double-header. With feeling - NOOOOO!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Leix footballers play Kildare in OCP on Saturday June 6th.

Possibility (a strong one, too) that Offaly will be hurling Leix in OCP the following day. It would be logical that Leix will enquire about the possibility of a double-header. With feeling - NOOOOO!
What about Westmeath, we might be playing the lake county in the round robin in June?

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Go for the double header, twill be a cracking game of football and our lads need to be able to deal with a partizan crowd, sure we get no one supporting the hurlers now anyway. Not fair to ask Laois folk to come to Tullamore on consecutive days, ,sur Jaysus as Sucin diesel says, they are as badly off as us!!