Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
tacmot
Senior

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by tacmot »

Thought we mite get a preview from you Townman since you know the birr set up fairly well.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Birr Vs Coolderry. Coolderry have been in good form all year. Well set up.
Birr have a excellent manager. He been learning all year and i think he has still abit of work to do but they much better than other years.
Rory Hanniffy Vs Joe Brady is going to be a great clash. Looking forward to that match up.
I think Coolderry will win but not by much.

Kilcormac\Killoughey Vs St. Ryangh's. Its intresting to see Kilcormac\Killoughey been written off around the county. Talk to load of people this week and they all expect Rynagh's to win. Personally i think this will be close. It will be interesting to see how much Rynagh's have learned for last year. looking forward to this game. I have no idea how this game is going to go.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

During their glory years, Birr always acknowledged the support they received from north Offaly.
tacmot wrote:Thought we mite get a preview from you Townman since you know the birr set up fairly well.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

cantona
Junior C
Club: drumcullen

Post by cantona »

I heard Rory ha nifty broke his anke. Anyone else hear this

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Does anyone know why Brosna Gaels gave a walkover to both Ballinamere and then Shamrocks today in hurling.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

townman wrote:go for Birr K/K final.
i wudnt dout ya townman. i always go be you. so i put the few bob on coolderry & rynaghs

ya know yer stuff townman!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Buttons wrote:Does anyone know why Brosna Gaels gave a walkover to both Ballinamere and then Shamrocks today in hurling.
I believe they wanted to be relegated
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

fifitrixiebelle wrote:
townman wrote:go for Birr K/K final.
i wudnt dout ya townman. i always go be you. so i put the few bob on coolderry & rynaghs

ya know yer stuff townman!
It will be a Coolderry v St. Rynagh's Final.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

and so it will be, fair play to Rynaghs they played the best hurling out of the 4 teams today. Coolderry upthe pace in the second half and went through. but it took the old guns to get team through don't think our new manger Eammon Kelly learn anything new today bar Sean Dolans display at midfield for Rynaghs today was outstanding.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

birr were in trouble at half time only a point up after playing with the wind. Coolderry pushed on in the second half and done the job but the standard wasn't great in the game. still though coolderry can improve and on there day have a forward line that will pose problems for most teams. st rynaghs were very impressive and got the match ups right. They ran at the two healions and took them out of their comfort zone. Stephen wynne was excellent and deserves an extended run with the county. niall wynne curtailed currams well and Connelly at centre back played well. kk have been great ambassadors for the county in recent years and looked a tired team today and were outclassed by what appeared to be a hungrier and fitter team. No doubt kk be back with a bang next year and a winters rest might not be any harm for their chances in 2016.
rynaghs are improving all year and there gameplan has come on leaps and bounds this year. great pace on the ball and on the basis of performances today are 4/5 points ahead of coolderry. come final day however it could all be different and no doubt the bookies will have little to nothing between the teams. I fear for birr in the next couple of years, a lot of effort but ultimately not good enough and with barry whelahan rory hanniffy and brian mullins all near the end it could be a while before they regain the sean robbins cup.
Coolderry are a team who play to their strengths and will take beating. the forwards interchange well and it should be an entertaining final. as a neutral at the matches today I was a bit disappointed with the first game and surprised at the second game. on a side note having attended the football semi finals last week there was a big difference in atmosphere and crowd overall. nearly two thousand more went through the turnstiles today which is either down to the perceived inevitability of the football results or the competitive nature of the hurling championship. You decide

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Great day at office. Lessons learnt from last yr, played to strenghts pace and skill. Hard luck to kk 3 in a row was great achievment. Looks like Rynas famine is about to end cderry an ageing outfit, fingers crossed!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Great day at office. Lessons learnt from last yr, played to strenghts pace and skill. Hard luck to kk 3 in a row was great achievment. Looks like Rynas famine is about to end cderry an ageing outfit, fingers crossed!
shannonbank i agree rynagh looked impressive but kk managment were very poor in my opinion.
the decision to move k grogan to centre forward back fired because it weakened their defence.
c mahon was a massive loss to kk as he was to offaly this year.
j gorman and k leonard should have been replaced after 20 minutes in my opinion but i understand how a manager stays loyal to guys whom have been such important players to that club .
i couldnt understand why c kiely wasnt brought to midfield along d kilmartain during the first half or how t geraghty didnt come in much earlier.
st rynagh have learnt from last year and are improving but coolderry are in a final and for some of their big players time is running on to pick up county titles so that make them very dangerous but this is rynagh third final apperance in 4 years and
its time they won one.
looking forward to a good battle and whoever wins i hope they go on to represent offaly club hurling as well as kk have done during the last 4 years.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Coolderry Vs Birr. Its a hard game to analysis. Mainly cause Both defence were on top for most of the game. Joe Brady vs Rory Hanniffy duel went the way of Brady by a huge amount. The Coolderry goals killed the game. Birr will be very disappointed with part of there game but from a manager point of view. He a year in and he has the team moving in the correct direction. Coolderry were good. Trying to make the most of the space and trying to use the ball well. The Manager is a good one. Hell they even had Brian Carroll putting in shoulders slowing the defender down. That's the stuff you want to see from you leaders, Physical imposting the teams game plan. .
to say it was a poor game is hugely unfair to the 12 defender that dominated it. each defender worked they socks off. I though David King was the difference between the team. He added the extra bit of hard work, team work and good hurling that got Coolderry over the line.

Kilcormac Killoughey. VS St. Rynagh's. Only one place to start in this game. The St. Rynagh's game plan. Its was awesome. Funny thing is it looked a lot like the Kilcormac Killoughey game plan. Dolan in the middle of the park to win dirty ball out muscled and out fought Kilcormac Killoughey. Fast good ball into a hardworking full forward line. Half forward dropping back and breaking forward or taking long distance points. Breaking the Physical dominance of The healions by making sure the ball broke in front of them. (Healion's still played well but were not able to burst out with the ball). Forde has improved Rynagh's from last year. They were super. The game plan is no longer about trying to run down team its about use the ball effectively.
Kilcormac Killoughey just couldn't handle the rynagh's team but Rynagh's in the second half were everything that was and is great about Offaly Hurling. Everytime Kilcormac/Killoughey scored a few point Rynagh popped back with a score.
They were hardworking and when the ball was to be use they use it well. Shortt at full back was outstanding.
For Kilcormac Killoughey its been a tough year. They fought like champions the whole way through. The loss to Ballyhale weight on the minds all year. They were trying there hardest but the mental intensity they have brought to Offaly hurling over the last 3 years just wasn't there. If Coolderry sparked Offaly club hurling, Kilcormac Killoughey the kindling. Now its up to however win the finals now have the job of making sure that Offaly club hurling stays at the top table.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

Toxicity234 wrote:Coolderry Vs Birr. Its a hard game to analysis. Mainly cause Both defence were on top for most of the game. Joe Brady vs Rory Hanniffy duel went the way of Brady by a huge amount. The Coolderry goals killed the game. Birr will be very disappointed with part of there game but from a manager point of view. He a year in and he has the team moving in the correct direction. Coolderry were good. Trying to make the most of the space and trying to use the ball well. The Manager is a good one. Hell they even had Brian Carroll putting in shoulders slowing the defender down. That's the stuff you want to see from you leaders, Physical imposting the teams game plan. .
to say it was a poor game is hugely unfair to the 12 defender that dominated it. each defender worked they socks off. I though David King was the difference between the team. He added the extra bit of hard work, team work and good hurling that got Coolderry over the line.

Kilcormac Killoughey. VS St. Rynagh's. Only one place to start in this game. The St. Rynagh's game plan. Its was awesome. Funny thing is it looked a lot like the Kilcormac Killoughey game plan. Dolan in the middle of the park to win dirty ball out muscled and out fought Kilcormac Killoughey. Fast good ball into a hardworking full forward line. Half forward dropping back and breaking forward or taking long distance points. Breaking the Physical dominance of The healions by making sure the ball broke in front of them. (Healion's still played well but were not able to burst out with the ball). Forde has improved Rynagh's from last year. They were super. The game plan is no longer about trying to run down team its about use the ball effectively.
Kilcormac Killoughey just couldn't handle the rynagh's team but Rynagh's in the second half were everything that was and is great about Offaly Hurling. Everytime Kilcormac/Killoughey scored a few point Rynagh popped back with a score.
They were hardworking and when the ball was to be use they use it well. Shortt at full back was outstanding.
For Kilcormac Killoughey its been a tough year. They fought like champions the whole way through. The loss to Ballyhale weight on the minds all year. They were trying there hardest but the mental intensity they have brought to Offaly hurling over the last 3 years just wasn't there. If Coolderry sparked Offaly club hurling, Kilcormac Killoughey the kindling. Now its up to however win the finals now have the job of making sure that Offaly club hurling stays at the top table.
I thought the striking was poor on a good few occasions and how many times during the match was the sliothar hit aimlessly to the goalies. And also the blind clearances which ended up going straight to the opposition. I expected more out of two seasoned teams. Cant fault the effort of either team and not going to run down individuals, just expected more.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

italia90 wrote:
I thought the striking was poor on a good few occasions and how many times during the match was the sliothar hit aimlessly to the goalies. And also the blind clearances which ended up going straight to the opposition. I expected more out of two seasoned teams. Cant fault the effort of either team and not going to run down individuals, just expected more.
Yeah. your correct but some of that was down to players working hard and closing down. Its easy to pick a pass when no one about to hit you or to plant you feet and hit the ball 90 yards. to do that under pressure is some different.
(to me there nothing worse in hurling than watch a player struck a ball with a opposition stand back looking at him It annoys the shit out of me and has happen way to much in Offaly hurling in the last 10 years)
The 1st thing i want to see from a team is honest of effort. The matches on Sunday i think we got that.