Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
italia90
Junior A

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by italia90 »

yea there was great effort and an honesty to the play, cant fault that. as I said already coolderry will take beating in county final. they are an above average team and play to their strengths. yea I take your point that there was good defensive play from both sides but wayward passing had a lot to do with it at times. a big bug bearer for me is when the crowd lets a roar when a lad goes into contact and then hits it as far as he can. generally speaking it was hit to an opposition player and it was going maybe 50 yards rather than 80 or 90. rynaghs laid the way sunday with clever short passing or crossfield ball into forwards. going solely on sundays display they are 4/5 points better off than coolderry but we all know come final day that could change.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Really looking forward to the matches on Sunday.

The minor has the making of a cracker its a bit frustration that it clashes with the Rugby cause both teams deserve to be playing in front of a good crowd in O'Connor Park.
The 4g network around the O'Connor Park will be in overdrive.
I think Na Fianna might have the legs on Sunday but it should be a great game.

COOLDERRY V ST RYNAGH'S HURLING CLUB in the big one at 4 O'Clock.
Rynagh's are in really need a final win. They have been knocking on the Door for too long now without it. 7 finals lost in 21 years.
There have excellent hurlers all over the field but in fairness like in last year final they sometimes forget that winning a match is about winning the battle and that battle isn't just for 5 or 10 mins its for 77 mins.
In the semi final they man up and won that battle and there game flowed after that.
Stephen Wynne is a fine centre forward, Finding space, delivers the ball well and picks off points from distance.
Sean Dolan and Dermot Shortt are two lions heart Warriors.

Coolderry. Every man and his dog know how Coolderry are going to play. Doesn't make it any easier to stop it. if Rynagh's try to run down the middle. Joe Brady will eat them alive. But the other side is Joe Brady won't be following his man all over the field but the Coolderry midfield have been outstanding at closing the space for both the centre and the two midfielder. The Bradys and King given time will give excellent into the Coolderry forwards.
The Coolderry forwards given good ball are very good but there not the biggest. Any bad ball they going in high they going to struggle with(come to think of it the same could be said about the Rynagh forwards).
Brian Carroll was excellent in the semi. Coolderry get him enough ball and Coolderry will be hard to beat.

They are some really taste Personal battle on Sunday.
Joe Brady Vs Stephen Wynne. Brady is the anchor to the Coolderry defence. Break that and your on to a winner.
David King Vs Sean Dolan. Two Warriors. The battle for The ball and for turnovers will be huge on Sunday.
Brian Carroll Vs Dermot Shortt. huge fan of Shortt. this battle could be won out the field. If high ball drop in on top of Shortt he win them all. if low ball come in front of Carroll Shortt will have his hands full.

To me this match will be won in the Rynagh's half back line vs Coolderry half forward line. The Rynagh's half back line are excellent hurlers but not always the best Warriors. Sometimes they let men pass them very softly. The Coolderry half forward line will give them nothing easily.
Normally when i picking a winner i go for the team that has the simple and most fine tuned game plan. Coolderry to me have this. Today i'm going to break that rule. mainly cause the Rynagh's game plan this years is not build on been prefect.
There using the ball long and short. but mostly important there picking the best option. sometime that just hitting the ball instead of trying to find a pass under pressure but them they have time and space they using the ball excellently.
So Rynagh's by 2 points.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

St Rynagh's - seeking the spirit of '65

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Any visitor from another county who witnessed the semi-finals of a fortnight ago will have drawn only one conclusion as to Sunday’s Final winner.

One semi-final, while the outcome was never in doubt, was a cut-and-thrust encounter, full of intelligent hurling played with width and movement, two rivals looking to take control of the game, excellent use of the ball and quality scores at both ends. The other was the opposite – hurling down a crowded middle, little or no movement in attack, all breaking ball with just one outfield fetch the whole game.

The former was the St Rynagh’s v KIlcormac-Killoughey semi-final, the latter Coolderry’s win over Birr.

All that said, Coolderry have alot going for them. The Stephens, Connolly and Burke, have adjusted seamlessly to the full-back line, Conor Molloy similarly further upfield. As an aside, one of the year’s highlights was Molloy’s audacious winning point in the group match against Kilcormac. The forward line is effective – Brian Carroll has possibly played in each of the six forward positions during the year and every puck of his 3-22 has been scored from play. And there’s always the likelihood Eóin Ryan will nick a goal; or maybe two.

Other hand, always a concern about the ball winning capabilities of Coolderry’s half-forward line. That was the way during their magical 2011 run as well, mind. The, midway through the semi-final they moved Barry Teehan to 11. A throwback to Ken Hogan’s time in the Bainisteóir bib, when Teehan roamed far and wide. The move just gave Coolderry a better shape. They need to start him there on Sunday, though with Kevin Teehan unavailable they might feel the need to keep him at midfield. How Coolderry choose to target Garry Conneely’s attackers instincts at centre half-back. Come to think of it, Kevin Connolly wouldn’t be a bad fit between the two ‘65s. Coolderry don’t want all their golden eggs in the full-forward basket – not with an ailing half-forward line.

As for ’Rynagh’s, Conor Clancy is arguably the championship’s best goalkeeper, and I’ve been calling for a Wynne, Shortt, Maloney full-back line for a while now. And Pat Camon played the best hurling of his Senior career in both quarter-final and semi-final. Seán Dolan has been very effective at midfield – a very intelligent and underrated hurler. Aidan Treacy is more effective in the half-forward line and his clash with Kevin Brady will be a key one. Joey O’Connor’s mobility turned out to be a great asset against Kilcormac – he’ll face a very different challenge from Trevor Corcoran, but much will depend on the quality of the ball going in there.

Much is made of St Rynagh’s short game, but to be fair there was little evidence of a ‘short game’ in the semi-final. Instead there was an exhibition of playing the ball into space and of running into space, at pace and with few turnovers.

Which brings me to Stephen Wynne. They will shake hands at the start and directly oppose each other, but it’s likely Wynne and Joe Brady won’t cross paths very often once Declan Cooke throws in the ball. Brady will do what he does best, patrol the centre and let nothing pass. Wynne will travel, will read the game and collect breaking ball. That he is taking frees and has his eye ‘in’, scoring wise, gives him the confidence to attempt scores from 60 metres, and he will likely do so again on Sunday. The question is, will Coolderry drop a midfielder back in his shadow? Will that midfielder be Barry Teehan, eschewing the option of Teehan at 11?

Always the chance that St Rynagh’s will blow hot and cold, which they tend to do, going out of matches for 20 minutes at a time. Still, there was a maturity and a hunger about their semi-final performance. There will possibly be a drop from the level of the semi-final performance, maybe up to 20% - finals can be a draining event with the build up, the emotion and all that. Still, ’Rynagh’s have so much going for them here that, even allowing for something like a 20% drop in their performance level, coupled with Coolderry increasing theirs by a similar level, it’s hard not to see ’Rynagh’s winning. Maybe not winning by much, but by enough all the same.

Conditions appear to be going to be ideal. No rain, little or no rain. A day for the terrace.

‘Rynagh’s then, something like 1-18 to 1-15, in the spirit of 1965.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Looking forward to sundays final . i think both teams have a really chance of winning .

Coolderry did enough in the semi final to see off a poor birr team but i suspect there was a few more gears in them that day.

Coolderry defence looked rock solid and i think both corner back have been particularly good . D king is developing into a fine midfielder and young Conor molloy has step up to senior hurling admirably .
They rest of the team have huge experence of winning on big days which will stand to them on sunday .
St rynagh on the other hand looked very impressive against kk , they had a game plan and imposed their game plan from the start .d shortt looks solid at full back alongside s wynne,P camon andG Connelly are excellent going forward ,S Dolan was brilliant in the semi finaland Swynne s quirke and A tracy are fine hurlers too but its they collective that is StRynagh real strength.
St rynagh were the most impressive of the 4 semi finals in my opinion but i think kk were very very predictable and st rynaghs exploited glaring weakness in kk this year that Belmount had highlighted in the quarter final .
KK were only a pale shadow of they team that played ST rynagh in last years final so StRynagh need to be aware that coolderry will be a huge step up from kk.
Coolderry will believe that if the can up their work rate and get at that rynagh defence as kk did in last year final ,that this rynagh team have a soft belly and they could crumble like last year .
Whereas rynagh will hope to start fast , build up an early lead and allow them to play deep while still keeping the score board ticking over .
Honestly i think it will be very tight but i think unless St Rynagh lads find some of the steel that St Rynagh team of the 70s 80s and 90s had and learn to stand up when the battle is it high , Cooldery wil win but i have the impression that F Foard will get these guys to man up and finally end they 22 year famine on shannon side .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

has the making's of a good final, will Rynaghs put back to back semil and final displays they have fallen in the final the last few years after good semil - finals , Coolderry are old hands and most have been knocking around since 2004 , Cathal Parlon has been missing but they still have got to the final handy enough. Damien Murray is back this year and is hurling as well as ever, Eoin Ryan also even doe he was young in 2012 leinster run his back to that form. Brian Carroll been captain has put in a great year and would love to climb the steps in tullamore on sunday to pick up the silver.

Coolderrys halfback line of Trevor Corcoran, Joe Brady, Kevin Brady, again Rynagh's half forward line of Matt Maloney Stephen Wynne, Ronan Hughes, who ever comes out on top here could be the winning of the title, and i think Coolderry might just shade this line. if Carroll Eoin Ryan, and Damien Murray line out in the fullforward line they should get the better of Daniel Maloney, Dermot Shortt, and Niall Wynne, we could have the two captains on each other if Carroll lines out on the eadge of the square.

Sean Dolan and Conor Molloy battle in midfield will be worth watching with Sean Dolan display i though the last day was the best out of the four teams that were on show, a repeat and Rynaghs could be on there way, Stephen Quirke and Joey O.Connor done alot of harm the last day again k/k and they are lighting fast and love the low ball in front of them if they get the right ball they will be hard to handle.

so really its a 50/50 final and it could take a replay if both sides turn up, Hungry will play a big part its hard to belive its 1993 since David Hughes got the Sean Robbins cup in ST.Brendans park and who were very unlucky in the semil again Sarfields in thurles in the all ireland club semil. god knows they have seen a good few hurlers come and go since so this really is the one they have to win they don't want to become the mayo of offaly hurling, and no offence to Coolderry but it would be good to see ST. Rynaghs back at the top in offaly hurling, so who will win don't know, if Rynaghs let 22 years of hurt out of them they should win, but Coolderry have the forwards if they hit a good day to win it,

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Hard luck to rynaghs hard to take after been two points up with a minute to go , but for Coolderry were the better team . They hurled Rynaghs off the pitch in the first half and Rynaghs held on in the game thanks to frees . Joe Brady held centre back with ease as no one stood near him all day and then when he went on full forward you just knew that if ball went in he would cause trouble as Healion did when KK moved him up in the semi. Young Conneely goal was outstanding , lovely catch and finish by the young man and it looked like it would seal it for Rynaghs after 22 years. Coolderry I fancied to win because of their recent showings over the past 5-6 years , Leinster champs beaten all Ireland finalists they were always going to be hard bet. Overall Coolderry played better as a team , Rynaghs couldn't perform to the heights they reached against KK. I don't know where Rynaghs go from here after two defeats in a row , Coolderry have the experience and could progress nicely in the Leinster championship , best of luck !

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

kingscounty wrote:Hard luck to rynaghs hard to take after been two points up with a minute to go , but for Coolderry were the better team . They hurled Rynaghs off the pitch in the first half and Rynaghs held on in the game thanks to frees . Joe Brady held centre back with ease as no one stood near him all day and then when he went on full forward you just knew that if ball went in he would cause trouble as Healion did when KK moved him up in the semi. Young Conneely goal was outstanding , lovely catch and finish by the young man and it looked like it would seal it for Rynaghs after 22 years. Coolderry I fancied to win because of their recent showings over the past 5-6 years , Leinster champs beaten all Ireland finalists they were always going to be hard bet. Overall Coolderry played better as a team , Rynaghs couldn't perform to the heights they reached against KK. I don't know where Rynaghs go from here after two defeats in a row , Coolderry have the experience and could progress nicely in the Leinster championship , best of luck !
Coolderry better team in 1st half. Rynaghs better team in 2nd half. Could have gone either way. It looked to be all rynaghs especially when they took a 3 point lead with a few mins to go. They were utterly dominant in second half all over the pitch. The Brady switch and goal proved crucial. I think they tried to take him down but couldnt as he was too strong and a half struck shot as he was fouled had the Rynaghs goalie try to read the shot and dived to his left as the ball went slightly right of where he stood. Had he stood his ground it was an easy enough save, but had it been stuck properly he had given himself a chance to save it. Either way, the free that followed from 90 yards was superb (think it was carroll) and that pretty much sealed the win for Coolderry when really there was little between the teams and it could have gone either way. While it is little consolation for Rynaghs, they have improved hugely in last two years and are now consistently there with the very best. They were a lot closer this year than last few years and with a very young average age they are just coming to their prime. Their day will come if they continue with their application and work-rate of this year and last. Of that, I have no doubt!
jimbob

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

well done to coolderry 3 titles in 6 years and to win without c parlon make it more impressive.
St Rynagh didnt correct the problem at centre back which c mahon exposed in last years final .
compare j brady positioning to g conneelly today , brady played in front of the full back sweeping up whereas g conneelly spent most of the day running back from the half forward line leaving the centre of their defence wide open .
coolderry made hard work of it today but when the game needed to be won they knew how to get over the line .
I looking forward to coolderry having a real cut at the leinster title now ,there are very few team with their experence out there .
Well done coolderry

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

as i said before the game Coolderry had the better forwards as it prove today, Rynaghs done what they have done in the last few finals they were out of the game after the clara band stopped playing same start as 2014. fair play to Coolderry te old hands won it today the Bradys scored 1-2 between them Corcoran 1 point . Brian Carroll lead the Rynaghs back line a merry dance, his point in the first half said it all as he caught a ball over Dermot Shortt head who had a foot or more over him but yet Carroll showed his class it was as good as point as seen in a county final. Kevin Connolly was outstanding at one point in the second half he beat 3 rynaghs players to a puck out on top of him he has a lovely first touch , i have to feel for Rynaghs players they have gaveit everything but as i said before the game they are becoming the Mayo of offaly hurling. best of luck to Coolderry in the leinster club run they will have a good cut at the Dublin winners in a few weeks time.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Well done to Coolderry today on their win.
They got off to a flyer and kept a strong grip on the game until early in the second half. But Rynaghs really turned the screw and it was a fantastic goal by young Conneely.

However Coolderry fought back well and Rynaghs were left devastated with Brady's late goal.

Its a bitter pill for Rynaghs to swallow but they played well for a spell in the second half, and they need to look at where they need to change to be as effective during the whole game.

Again will leave to the more knowledgeable hurling fraternity to dissect the finer details, and thought the ref , Declan Cooke did a decent job on the game. I passed through the Court hotel after the game and he was enjoying a beverage and a bit of grub with a few friends and it struck me how big a day it is for referee's and their families too, so it was nice to see it work out for him.
Nice to see the 89 minor team introduced at half time also.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

AW Rynagh's. how to tie one arm behind your back and them shot yourself in the foot.
The Rynagh's half back line in the 1st half were more a midfield than a half back line. It was summed up when in around the 10 min from a coolderry puckout. Carroll at centre forward ran back into the Coolderry half back line and Conneely follow him the whole way. The rynagh's midfield held there positions and there was Kevin Connelly vs a wing back and 40 yards of space in the Rynagh's half back line.(The Rynagh's midfield wasn't reacting to this at all) If Coolderry Forward had been more ruthless Ryangh would have been hammer by half time.
Every Coolderry forward was in space (sometime they use it very very badly) cause there was 10 players in the space where there should have been 12. Forward with pace and space to run into, Rynagh's were lucky to be so close at half time.
The other side was Brady at centre back for Coolderry was doing 1/10 of the running of Conneely and been 50 time more effected.

The Second half and Coolderry managment made a mistake. they dropped a player out the field. which had the effect of bring Shortt to Centre Back. Coolderry were find it imposable to get the ball by him. If he wasn't winning it them the Coolderry player were running straight into him and Shortt love that. Dolan moving to full forward gave them a ball winner at full forward and he did a lot of good work. Rynagh looked excellent when Shortt was holding them together at centre back. Coolderry forward were winning no 1st time ball and there backs were in big trouble. Rynagh's could have been out of sight in the last few mins. When Brady start walking up the field i felt that Rynagh's were in big trouble. Shortt had to go mark him and there was the possible that Ryangh's half backs would wander to far out and leave Shortt and Brady on there own. Coolderry need a goal. Points weren't going to get them back into the game. so if Ryangh's wanted to stick a forward in front of Brady and Shortt that would have been the time.

Ryangh's progressive game plan once again fails against a simple one.
I think Ryangh's club will win the County title next year but Shortt need to be Centre Back, Conneely need to be in midfield and Dolan need to be centre forward with Wynne roaming from one of the wing forward. Again Rynagh's have the players to dominate Offaly, Leinster and Ireland club hurling. But there Game Plan Doesn't get the best out of them. There discipline and decision making in defence and midfield is poor and costing them titles and Shortt need to begin bossing the players around him.

Coolderry will need to focus for there next game against the Dublin champions. it won't be easy but they can go a long way but they must focus on one game at a time.
But this year Cooderry were the best team in Offaly and congrats to the them. Love their Brand of hurling, Love their fight,
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

First of all, that was a massively disappointing performance by St Rynagh’s. I expected so much more of them, and while it was reasonable to expect there would be some drop off in the level of the semi-final performance, their near-complete collapse was a surprise. The kind of performance you fear from a team playing in their very first final, not a team in their third and hurling well.

In indifferent form on the way to the final, Coolderry turned to the Ken Hogan era. Barry Teehan started at centre half-forward, and a flying start. Remember Coolderry, when winning the 2010 and 2011 championships opened the scoring in the quarter-final, semi-final and final in each year with a goal.

I’ve massive admiration for Kevin Connolly, and the media rightly selected him as their man of the match. Rynagh’s couldn’t cope with him at all, and Pat Camon could have been switched off him much earlier. Perhaps Danny Maloney might have been the best candidate for the job. And while Coolderry find their half-forward line troublesome betimes, a line of Connolly, Teehan and Carroll is close enough to the optimum. Coolderry’s attack more or less did to ’Rynagh’s what ’Rynagh’s did to Kilcormac a fortnight earlier. Dragged them out of position, played diagonal ball and used their pace. Kevin Brady was at the very top of his game too. They were a joy to watch really.

So many inspirational scores for Coolderry – apart from the opening goal, there was Alan Corcoran’s one, and the three following half-time from Connolly, Carroll and Kevin Brady. And yet for all that, and with their opponents not having had a single moment of inspiration themselves, Coolderry led by just four points around the 40 minute mark. Ben Conneely’s introduction marked a turning point too. The youngster thundered into challenges, something his side hadn’t been doing. Because really only Seán Dolan had showed a glimpse of form. Smashing goal from the younger Conneely too.

Two points – a dangerous lead. You know the rest. Bang! You’re dead.

Hard to know now for St Rynagh’s. They’ll be thereabouts next year, semi-finalists anyway. But Kilcormac will be back, and Coolderry will be hard to dislodge. Cathal Parlon will be recovered from injury too. To win a final now, ’Rynagh’s will need to go into the decider under the radar, a bit like K-K did in 2012. Can they do that? Maybe not.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A day to revise the record books on Sunday, with Kevin Connolly’s early goal. I timed it on my watch last night watching TG4’s highlights programme and I clocked it at not quite 20 seconds.

Early goals had been Coolderry’s hallmark before in knockout matches. Damien Murray found the net 49 seconds into their 2010 final against Tullamore, while it took Eoin Ryan 47 seconds to score a goal against Birr a year later. And if I recall correctly, all three goals were scored into O’Connor Park’s Park Avenue End.

Stephen Wynne may have carried his side as regards scoring, but by scoring 13 points in a final he did something no-one has done for over 60 years, since Willie Mitchell scored 2-7 in 1952’s Final. The only ones to score more than that are Phil Purcell of Birr who scored 4-4 against Tullamore in the 1946 final, and Mick Molloy, also of Birr, hit 4-2 against Edenderry in the final of 100 years ago. In recent times, Ciarán Slevin has scored 1-9 and 0-11 in the 2012 and 2013 finals respectively, while Colm Coughlan fired over 0-11 for Kinnitty in their 2008 final appearance.

Rodgie
Junior B

Post by Rodgie »

Hard Luck to St. Rynaghs on Sunday. While the scoreline was close I though that Coolderry were the better team all through. I think they scored 2:10 from play as opposed to Rynaghs 1:4. A number of the frees the referee gave to Rynaghs were very questionable and, if they were frees at all, then Coolderry can feel aggrieved they didn't receive frees for similar incidents throughout the game. This was the main reason for Rynaghs recovery. Coolderry completely blitzed Rynaghs early on and clearly Kelly had the better of the tactical battle between himself and Forde from start to finish. Kelly has an ageing team refreshed and their hurling is far quicker and workmanlike than at any time in the past. The moves at the end of the game was incredible to be honest, as it looked like Martin Corcoran went to midfield, Barry Teehan to centre back, K Connolly to centre forward and Joe Brady to full forward. These changes wrestled back control of the game in the final minutes when all the momentum and crowd support was with Rynaghs.
Another aspect of Coolderrys' play this year compared with Hogans' recent time, is the tackle count and the workrate employed. Brian Carroll is and has been a free scoring forward for along time but the tackles he is putting in and the chasing back is something else, as is that of all the Coolderry men. Their wing backs pushed up on their men high up the field and scored 3 brilliant points. Joe Bradys' Goal in injury time was "Roy of the Rovers" stuff and showed the tremendous spirit and fight which they seemed to have had all year.
For Rynaghs, Stephen Wynne was brilliant from frees and was looking dangerous in the 2nd half but could only manage a point from play. Ronan Hughes tried hard and is a great prospect. Quirke had really only one chance all day but took his shot for a 2nd half Goal from too far out. The Rynaghs defense/ midfield did regain control during the 2nd half but all told Coolderry pulled them out of shape easily at times. In the end they are deserving winners of the county championship given their unbeaten run, the loss of so many players through injury and the game plan and rotating tactics their manager employed to win their 30th title.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Time to sit down and absorb our co. final win on sunday.
First of all we fully deserved our win and we would have been as devastated as Rynaghs if we lost on sunday as our performance over the 60 mins( +2 :D )
was far better than theirs. Testement to this was the scores from play (2-10 - 1-4) says it all. The rynaghs free count was close to twice Culdoires and only the 12 pts from frees that kept them in touch then the game was over by the 40th min. I will admit that most of them were frees , which Culdoire will have to cut down on in next games goin forward , that 4/5 of them were softly given by Cooke and the same type of challenge/foul at the other end , particularly on Carroll , a head high challenge under the stand in about the 55th min plus a blatant hold on Kevin Connolly arm on the other side which resulted in a Rynaghs point at the other end.
People talked of the great fight back by Ryanghs and how the crowd got behind them to lift them, it was only the awarding of them frees by Cooke that lifted the crowd. We saw no moment of inspiration from any Rynaghs player apart from young Conneelys goal which was well taken , whereas on the Culdoire side we had 2 savage scores from Kevin Brady particularly the 2nd one, also from Carroll , Alan Corcoran and Kevin Connolly. Not to mention the great man himself Joe who went up and done the bizz AGAIN when asked, maby the 2 Rynaghs backs should have paid more attention to Joes hurling than given him jib then maybe maybe........ lesson learnt lads.
While people will say hard luck to Ryanghs and the mite come back to win a co. title some day soon , they have to remember that to win you have to hurl for over 60 mins and not just 10 in the second half. first point from play in the 32 nd min of first half is just not good enough in the county final.
Finally id like to say Congrats to our lads on a brilliant win to claim our 30th Sean :mrgreen: and roll on the leinster club.