Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
keyboardwarrior
Junior A
Club: Ranelagh Gaels

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by keyboardwarrior »

Good post Rodgie and your summary of the pivotal switch at the end of the game is bang on from what I saw.

A hard one to take for Ryanaghs it seemed that they may have peaked that bit too soon at the semi. I would be a fan of Franny Forde and I don't expect that he would have left much to chance in his preparation. When both lines of their defence got on top midway through the second half it looked like they would kick on. I do hope they pick it up again next year as I’m convinced there is a county championship in that panel. One positive to take is that there does seems to be a levelling off in standard of the ‘tier 1’ teams this year (possibly Shinrone could improve in the next two years to join that bunch?). A more competitive club championship is better for the county.

Toxicity think its fine to say in hindsight that Forde should have dropped a forward back in front of Brady with 3 to go. Shorrt and his corner backs had come into the game at that point and St Rynaghs game plan is very much played on the front-foot. You observation as Shortt as a 6 for Rynaghs is interesting but I didn’t know who would slot in behind him at 3 to command the square. Certainly it would create a very strong half back line.

It was a treat to see the 'Roy of the Rovers' moment at the end from Joe Brady. Joe is everything what you would need in a player and it’s a pity we don't have more of his ilk around the county at the moment. I don't hold great hope for them in Leinster I have to say but be that as it may it was a great win for Coolderry.

There was a decent crowd at the game too considering it clashed with 2 Rugby world Cup quarter finals and those who made the journey from the ‘deep south’ must have been happy theymade the journey in the end.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Hard one to take is right. Fair play and well done coolderry good luck in Leinster.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Firstly, well done to Tacmot on a great win. Coolderry hurled with style, as they always do.

On a general point regarding the frees. Thing is, a point from a free counts the same as a point from play. I’m not contesting the fact that Coolderry were the best team for longer, but whether the scores were from play or from frees, ’Rynagh’s had got back to within 3 or 4 points of Coolderry without themselves creating very much by way of scoring opportunities. Most of Stephen Wynne’s first-half frees came from over 65 metres. However, his second-half frees were closer in, sometimes around the 30 metre mark.

Also, St Rynagh’s were awarded the majority of their frees when they themselves were in possession. Which is what generally happens in hurling anyway – he who is first to the ball does not generally foul. And so the free count will generally be in direct proportion to the possession count.

Some people get into a strop when there is an imbalance in the free count, but really the free count should be a measure of possession. There will be exceptions, such as at the Dublin SHC semi-final last night where a referee was operating to a strict balancing act where no team would be awarded more than two successive frees. And so obvious fouls and ‘advantages’ were ignored while the referee kept his ledger balanced. Which was a crazy method of refereeing.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Lads i dont agree that it a given that this St rynagh team will win a county final .
.Ihonestly dont think they improved much from last year .
shinrone are impoving ,kinnity improved a lot this year ,but coolderry improved most this year and they seems to have a new hunger this year ,johnny kelly looks good on the line and certainly made all the right moves last sunday .
kk will be back next year maybe with a change in the backroom team .
Paul murphy will be in charge of clareen and there is always birr so it no certainty that st rynagh will make another county final next year .
To me coolderry and kk, both playing to their potental would be a great final and i think both have hurled to a much higher level than this rynagh team over the last 6 years .
it annoys me to hear people say that if rynaghs or birr won it would be better for the county .

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I would like to congratulate Na Fianna on their historic victory. Great group of lads with great management behind them since 6 years of age. They are an example of the work that can be done in Offaly if people are willing to put in the work. The belt is starting to turn in the parish with a good u16 team still competing in the championship.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

sam88885a wrote: To me coolderry and kk, both playing to their potental would be a great final and i think both have hurled to a much higher level than this rynagh team over the last 6 years .
it annoys me to hear people say that if rynaghs or birr won it would be better for the county .
Kilcormac/Killoughey gave a minimal contribution to Offaly in 2015. Don't think that Coolderry will offer much more to Offaly in 2016. St Rynaghs & Birr have the more promising younger hurlers.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Sharp Eye wrote:
sam88885a wrote: To me coolderry and kk, both playing to their potental would be a great final and i think both have hurled to a much higher level than this rynagh team over the last 6 years .
Kilcormac/Killoughey gave a minimal contribution to Offaly in 2015. Don't think that Coolderry will offer much more to Offaly in 2016. St Rynaghs & Birr have the more promising younger hurlers.
When are Coolderry playing the Dublin SH champions?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

two weeks time Dublin hurling final next saturday, Cuala and St.Judes .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Sharp Eye wrote:
Sharp eye St rynagh had 4 of their 6 defenders that played for offaly last year . i hope they start delivering on the potental that u talk about because i have seen very little sign that these guys good enough even at club level.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sharp Eye wrote: Kilcormac/Killoughey gave a minimal contribution to Offaly in 2015. Don't think that Coolderry will offer much more to Offaly in 2016. St Rynaghs & Birr have the more promising younger hurlers.
Can't Agree with this.
Kilcormac Killoughey lads were willing to commit. Some weren't ask. Kevin Gorgan. Peter Healion, Brian Leonard and others. Some were in and overlooked. Ger Healion, When Rory Hanniffy with a broken Knee was selected ahead of him. D. Kilmartin picked and drop at the dropped at the 1st chance, Slevin was played at no 12, Midfield and has only played no 10 twice in the 3 years he was in the squad. Currams has played a only full forward when Offaly have played 5 forwards.
There more with Con Mahon told to choose between his education or hurling.

Now Coolderry have been treated just as bad. The Brady's were been blamed for game we lost when they were the one keep us in the the game with there fight and hard work. Joe Brady was moved to the forwards when Offaly management didn't have the experience to develop a game plan to get the best out of him at centre back.
Its the most disappointing point in Offaly hurling that we had Joe Brady and we never used him in his best position.
Kevin Connolly was played as a sweeper, Fucking hell. a Sweeper. David King as a corner back when he has been the most improved midfielder over the last few years.

These two clubs have lots to offer to Offaly hurling over the next 6 years but over the last 6 years these two club have been outstanding for Offaly Hurling. But they have been under used at intercounty level. while the players from other clubs that haven't come near winning a county title have been getting on the team ahead of them . The likes of David King, Kevin Connolly, C Molloy, C Kiely and Con Mahon all have a huge amount to offer to the county over the next 5 years. Kilcormac Killoughey won the U21 this year and the Minor last year and there a lot more in the two clubs that have build a successful mentally at club level.

The 3 players in Rynagh's i love to see use by the county over the next year. Shortt need games at centre back he has the potential to be a excellent centre back.
Dolan is a great war horse but He has lots to learn and Stephen Wynne need game in a half forward line he has been outstanding over the last 2 years he is able to pick off points from out the field and has the ability to get back the field to help the midfield and defense. he was bloody wasted at corner back.
Jesus we left Stephen Egan and Chris McDonnell on the bench and put King and Wynne in ahead of them. E Nolan and D Currams started in midfield ahead of King in the Clare match.
But saying that. Rynagh's need to earn that county title. They need to get the performance level wright on the big day and while they have load of potential within that squad. Potential is nothing if you don't deliver.

If you want Kilcormac Killoughey and Coolderry to contribute more to Offaly Hurling them, you would have to pick the players, given them a chance to develop and treated them correctly.
This hasn't been done with players from these two clubs over the last 7 or 8 years when they be the power house of Offaly hurling.
If and when Rynagh's take the throne hopefully there players will be given the chance to lead at inter county level the way Coolderry and Kilcormac Killoughey weren't.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Toxicity234 wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote: Kilcormac/Killoughey gave a minimal contribution to Offaly in 2015. Don't think that Coolderry will offer much more to Offaly in 2016. St Rynaghs & Birr have the more promising younger hurlers.
Can't Agree with this.
Kilcormac Killoughey lads were willing to commit. Some weren't ask. Kevin Gorgan. Peter Healion, Brian Leonard and others. Some were in and overlooked. Ger Healion, When Rory Hanniffy with a broken Knee was selected ahead of him. D. Kilmartin picked and drop at the dropped at the 1st chance, Slevin was played at no 12, Midfield and has only played no 10 twice in the 3 years he was in the squad. Currams has played a only full forward when Offaly have played 5 forwards.

Now Coolderry have been treated just as bad. The Brady's were been blamed for game we lost when they were the one keep us in the the game with there fight and hard work. Joe Brady was moved to the forwards when Offaly management didn't have the experience to develop a game plan to get the best out of him at centre back.
Its the most disappointing point in Offaly hurling that we had Joe Brady and we never used him in his best position.
Kevin Connolly was played as a sweeper, Fucking hell. a Sweeper. David King as a corner back when he has been the most improved midfielder over the last few years.

These two clubs have lots to offer to Offaly hurling over the next 6 years but over the last 6 years these two club have been outstanding for Offaly Hurling. But they have been under used at intercounty level. while the players from other clubs that haven't come near winning a county title have been getting on the team ahead of them . The likes of David King, Kevin Connolly, C Molloy, C Kiely and Con Mahon all have a huge amount to offer to the county over the next 5 years. Kilcormac Killoughey won the U21 this year and the Minor last year and there a lot more in the two clubs that have build a successful mentally at club level.

The 3 players in Rynagh's i love to see use by the county over the next year. Shortt need games at centre back he has the potential to be a excellent centre back.
Dolan is a great war horse but He has lots to learn and Stephen Wynne need game in a half forward line he has been outstanding over the last 2 years he is able to pick off points from out the field and has the ability to get back the field to help the midfield and defense. he was bloody wasted at corner back.
Jesus we left Stephen Egan and Chris McDonnell on the bench and put King and Wynne in ahead of them. E Nolan and D Currams started in midfield ahead of King in the Clare match.
But saying that. Rynagh's need to earn that county title. They need to get the performance level wright on the big day and while they have load of potential within that squad. Potential is nothing if you don't deliver.

If you want Kilcormac Killoughey and Coolderry to contribute more to Offaly Hurling them, you would have to pick the players, given them a chance to develop and treated them correctly.
This hasn't been done with players from these two clubs over the last 7 or 8 years when they be the power house of Offaly hurling.
If and when Rynagh's take the throne hopefully there players will be given the chance to lead at inter county level the way Coolderry and Kilcormac Killoughey weren't.
The facts speak for themselves: Kilcormac/Killoughey as County Champions provided minimal leadership & support as members of the Offaly Senior Hurling Team in 2015. Hope Coolderry will give a much greater contribution in 2016, but I have serious doubts.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

The facts speak for themselves: Kilcormac/Killoughey as County Champions provided minimal leadership & support as members of the Offaly Senior Hurling Team in 2015. Hope Coolderry will give a much greater contribution in 2016, but I have serious doubts.
Haven't posted here really since registering but have read all of this thread with interest. Bit of a mixed bag of a post below touching on a number of issues both club and county.

In reply to Sharp Eye: I think that there are many factors that would need to be looked at before agreeing wholeheartedly with that statement Sharp Eye. It is true to a point but I am definitely in agreement with Toxicity that matters were made far worse by factors beyond many of the players control. Interesting to see what happens this year with new management and hopefully all of Offaly will rally around and get everyone's shoulder to the wheel and getting the best players playing and get the best out of those players.

Aside from that I am looking forward to next year with Offaly with fresh optimism.

1st reason: I heard that Offaly are due to return to Birr to play any Home Walsh Cup/Shield fixtures in 2016. This will get the interest in the county set up going from an early stage next season hopefully. The county Board will no doubt keep a close eye on this and could possibly use these matches for deciding on weather Birr may get a few home league fixtures in the future. They will get bigger attendances in Birr I'd imagine and with the ground offered rent free by the Birr club, the extra revenue gathered from extra attendance can be used to pay back the money on O'Connor park . I agree that Offaly should play all home championship games in Tullamore due to greater capacity but having some games in Birr will keep everyone happy I feel. Just my 2 cents on a hotly debated issue

2nd Reason: Offaly are still in Division 1B which can only be viewed as a plus going into the new season. Waterford stepped up and showed that the standard in 1B is not that far behind 1A and Offaly had a reasonably successful run in last years league even if some of the better results I thought were tainted as in many of our better performances, the opposition had men sent off at crucial stages, Limerick & Laois aswell as running Tipp close when they were down to 13.

3rd Reason: I think the round robin in championship will be beneficial for Offaly. Westmeath, Carlow and Kerry will no doubt be looking at us as there best chance of taking a scalp of the bigger hurling powers. Admittedly Offaly aren't the force of old but that is exactly what happened last year against Laois. We were their all Ireland final for the want of a better phrase, and it will be no different against those 3 in 2016. It looks like finishing second gets the easier draw but I would sooner win the group and play Galway in a quarter than hurl bad and play Laois in order to play Galway at the semi final stage.

4th Reason: Also the main point for optimism is because of the new manager at the helm. The County Board whom I am very critical about on a lot of matters, in my own opinion acted swiftly and decisively here. They appointed the right men to look for a manager headed up by both a recognised spearhead in Liam Sheedy but they also got lads who had knowledge of the Offaly scene to support him. I think they got the best possible candidate available and they got him ratified in time for him to see the knockout stages of the Senior championship, so he can familiarise himself with the teams, clubs, players and their most effective positioning.

Looking at Coolderry in the Leinster Championship....they seem to have been handed a pretty tough draw with the Dublin champions first up in a quarter final who have only a week to recover as there county final will only be played next Saturday. The winner of that have to play Clara (KK champions) who receive a Bye into the Semi Final. The other side of the draw looks easier where you'd imagine Oulart will come through and get to the final but Clough Ballaghcolla won't be a push over, and Clonkill and St Mullins will fancy their chances of doing better this year and making a mark in Leinster.

It looks a pretty open club championship with both Ballyhale and Portumna gone, and many others including St Thomas's and Gort also bowing out at the weekend when fancied to go far. From the betting only 15 teams are left and 3 more will go this weekend leaving 12. In my own opinion I think Coolderry are not the team they once were a few years ago as they just don't have the strength in depth and especially missing Parlon, and with Kevin Teehan and Brian Kelly not fit................. I wasn't surprised to see them win Sean Robbins ...........but it certainly wasn't expected. But having said that Coolderry won't fear anyone that's left. They are the dog for the hard road, they have huge experience in that team and they can call upon from when there before, both won (which we all remember) and lost (Raharney in 2010 and UCD IN 2004) in previous Leinster forays. It's bonus territory now but a fair few of that team won't be around for much longer and will want to take every opportunity they'll get. I'm more hopeful than optimistic about there chances of making a deep run again but they could do well I feel.

Any view or opinions are welcome
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Toxicity234 wrote:
Can't Agree with this.

I wouldnt be too convinced some of the Kilcormac guys you mentioned are up to county level though I think Brian Leonard would be with a bit of time in set-up. Same with Kilmartin. To say Slevin was mistreated by being played at midfield and 12 but not 10 is a bit disingenuous. He only really turned up consistently for the club since they won the first county title and Baker had him in with plenty of game time at this time. Whelehan would have used him if he had the chance. Kilmartin is a different story and was badly treated in my opinion while Conor Mahon opted out himself this year and his leadership would have been missed. Currams has gone back a bit and is too reliant on power. He needs to improve his weak side and touch to stay at pace with modern game. the reason he plays at full is that he probably isnt tricky enough for corner spots. Con Mahon for me is a little light for county senior level even if he is an excellent club player.

Kiely was in and played this year in his first year out of minor and Molloy is still in school so I dont see that argument at all about lads not being played. King was in squad as an U21 but wasnt deemed good enough to beat likes of Chris McDonnell Stephen Egan and Dermot Mooney to corner back slots. At the time Kevin Brady, your man Slevin and Rory Hanniffy were playing at midfield so again, I struggle to see where King was going to get in. Fair enough he has improved but he would be a long way from being deserving of a dead cert to start in my opinion. He'd be worth a shot alright but no more than that. He'd have to prove himself. The Joe Brady thing is simple. He is and was an outstanding hurler........but.......and its a big but......the speed of the inter-county game is one that he simply doesnt have the pace for. This is exaggerated by the absence of good fitness people in backroom teams from time to time in Offaly hurling. Joe hasnt been given the tools to address this area and it is obvious his best years are behind him now.
Toxicity234 wrote: players from other clubs that haven't come near winning a county title have been getting on the team ahead of them
For me this simply doesnt tally and is the reason Offaly are where they are. The best players should be picked not on how many club medals they have but on potential and ability. There are lads from Brosna Gaels, Ballinamere, Killavilla, Lusmagh, Drumcullen, Kinnity and Tullamore that should be in there and arent because they arent from the right club or are not wanted. A certain level of speed and physique is required at county level. Speed up the hurling of the lads with athleticism and then you have a team that will be capable. Our problem is that we choose nice hurlers often without the speed or steel for inter-county level.

Emmet Nolan is a lad with huge potential but he would need a solid year training at high level to get up to inter-county hurling speed, same with Sean Dolan and Stephen Quirke of Rynaghs. Chris McDonnell was our best player 3 years ago and hasnt got a look in since possibly because he is from the wrong club. Full back Shortt has potential but needs to be believed in, put in there and developed with solid lads around him. That said, Sean Coughlan is now in his prime and ready if the set-up is right. Sean Gardiner from Lusmagh is a serious talent and up to the level too - a lot more than some we have seen this year. Young Shane Kinsella from Kinnity played very well v Clare scoring 4 or 5 points from play and has the steel and pace I am talking about but his hurling speed can improve too. Kiely too in a proper environment would thrive. What we need is for new management team to identify these lads as within the 30 best lads with the most potential for county senior and bring their hurling up to speed. We have been wasting our time using second rate athletes who are skillful hurlers. You cant beat speed and if you dont have it when playin the likes of Waterford, Limerick Clare and even Wexford, you are finished.

The captain / leader this year was a Kilcormac man. Others either didnt go in or walked away. What kind of leadership is that? In a good county team there should be no more than 3 or 4 from any given club on the strongest 15. If there is it doesnt say much of the strength of what is in the county. It doesnt matter where they are from. It is the best players with the most potential that need to be picked and developed. If we did all that and played lads in their best positions, get Egan back into forwards quick, then we will be competitive. If not the status quo will continue.
jimbob

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

They age profile of most of the kk lads and coolderry lads mean neither clubs are going to contribute a lot of player to offaly in 2016 , its not that either teams lack comittement to offaly rather most of those lads were messed around or their potental was missed by county managment 7 or 8 years ago . that history now .

j Brady and G Healion were sidelined for most of the careers because they lacked pace but there was no efford to train them in order to improve their pace . D Kelliher is in the same boat now all management see is his lack of pace ,ignoring his natural power and his potental if he was full fit .

Would i be mad to suggest that a team of

J Demsey
C Doughan D kelliher P Rigney
S Coughlan D Shortt C Kiely
E nolan B Harding
K Connolly C Mahon S kinsella
S Quirke C Egan S Dooley

could have potental to become a decent team with proper training and a game plan .

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

sam88885a wrote:They age profile of most of the kk lads and coolderry lads mean neither clubs are going to contribute a lot of player to offaly in 2016 , its not that either teams lack comittement to offaly rather most of those lads were messed around or their potental was missed by county managment 7 or 8 years ago . that history now .

j Brady and G Healion were sidelined for most of the careers because they lacked pace but there was no efford to train them in order to improve their pace . D Kelliher is in the same boat now all management see is his lack of pace ,ignoring his natural power and his potental if he was full fit .

Would i be mad to suggest that a team of

J Demsey
C Doughan D kelliher P Rigney
S Coughlan D Shortt C Kiely
E nolan B Harding
K Connolly C Mahon S kinsella
S Quirke C Egan S Dooley

could have potental to become a decent team with proper training and a game plan .
All good enough to be in panel anyway. Id be having Bergin in there somewhere, Best forward we have. Dooley hasnt done it in long time and is needs to offer more than frees. Kelliher is too slow but like you said, can that be addressed. Id have no doubt that a much fitter Kelliher who has developed his pace would be on it. Bant see Harding going in at this stage when he has had numerous chances before. Again same as Kelliher, a fit version would be an addition. Kiely for me is too good a shooter for wing back so id play him wing forward if anywhere. Sean Gardiner is a class act and would be on my team midfield or wing back. Doughan should be in shake up and I like Coughlan - maybe even at full back. Chris McDonnell is a definite for me if available and Steven Egan would be in there too if he went in. E Nolan is rightly placed at midfield. Dan Kilmartin from KK and Shane Dolan from Rynaghs from what I saw this year would also be close. The key is to get them all on the same wavelength hurling wise and bring some of their skill levels up a few notches. Lot more skillful lads in county than those mentioned but that group and a few more would have a touch of steel to it. Nobody mentioning James Rigney in that. Is he around. to it. If Morkan was available to train and put in a shift, he'd be bit of addition also.
jimbob