Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Maybe these are in the public domain somewhere, but if they are I haven’t seen them. So, in the absence of any official indication, are we looking at the following projected schedule for the remainder of the Senior championships?

Weekend 23rd August ........ SFC round 6
Weekend 30th August ...... SHC round 5
Weekend 6th September ... SFC round 7
Weekend 13th September .. SHC quarter-finals
Weekend 20th September .. SFC semi-finals
Weekend 27th September . SHC semi-finals
Weekend 4th October ............SFC Final
Weekend 11th October ..... SHC Final
Weekend 18th October
Weekend 25th October ..... Leinster Senior Club football
Weekend 1st November .... Leinster Senior Club hurling
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Official Offaly GAA ‏@Offaly_GAA 7m7 minutes ago
Final score @KK_GAA 0-17 @coolderrygaa 0-16

K/K's first loss in 28 games. Coolderry win group 2 Midlands103Sport added,

FT: Offaly senior hurling championship KK 0-16 Coolderry 0-17 @MidlandsSport

Someone has it wrong

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I was rath yesterday evening. Brilliant performance from coolderry. Joe brady was the rock at the heart of the team. Love watching a brilliant hurler do his stuff.
The Coolderry Forwards worked there socks off.
The game was dominated by the two half back line. Both were excellent.
The Coolderry management got the team tactic spot on moving Joe Brady to centre back.

Kilcormac Killoughey Management didn't. They moved Curmins out into the half forward line and moved around there forward line and it lost all structure. they missing Mahon for that centre position. I think you see Kilmartin moving back into that centre forward and Enda Gorgan out in midfield. Kilcormac Killoughey have a bit to work on.

I just wanted to wish Paul Cleary best of luck in his recovery from a double break leg. He in surgery this morning.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Good competitive stuff in Clara this evening between Ballinamere and Belmont. Time ran out on Ballinamere really (though not quick enough - no idea where Richie Fitzsimons got five extra minutes), they had all the momentum and wouldn't have been flattered by a narrow win.

From a county perspective, if Paddy Murphy doesn't become an automatic starter next year, there's something wrong. He stood out in that game, as he has done all summer.

Huge result in the IHC as well, with Clodiagh Gaels nabbing a one point win over Drumcullen. I honestly couldn't have imagined that, they're clearly making massive strides in the newest club in the county. Great stuff from Lusmagh this morning as well, went 1-5 to 0-1 behind and then lorded proceedings from then on, with their half back line in top form. Lots of good young hurlers stepped up to the mark and did a bit of growing up today, and now they'll have a different challenge, which will be keeping a lid on expectation and confidence in advance of the final. Should be a good one.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Rynaghs, KK, Birr and Coolderry for semis. Clareen and Birr will be tight but Birr to pull through. Paul Cleary in very hard luck was back to his best. Best wishes on speedy recovery.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Agree was in Clara myself and as with all year Paddy Murphy stood out, head and shoulders the best player and only for him would fear for Ballinamere.

The result for Ballinamere didnt matter as Clareen winning meant they were going into the relegation battle.

The hurling wasnt the best but a good enjoyable game all the same.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I was in O'Connor Park for Drumcullen vs Clodiagh Gaels.
I'm bias here as a Drumcullen man.
The games was a ok match. Drumcullen pick off some lovely points early and raced into a 0-8 to 0-2 lead and were in control from the first 15 mins.
Then Clodaigh kicked into gear and scored 1-3 or 1-4 without reply. David Buckley got the goal from a rebound. the original shot came off the crossbar but The Drumcullen goakeeper didn't react and Buckley finished it off.
Drumcullen regrouped and got themselves in front just before half time.

The second half.
Was like the 1st Drumcullen got themselves in front and were pick off scored with out killing off the game and by god did they get punished.
The Second goal came from Clodiagh Gaels Centre forward shot dropping short and ending up in the back of the net. them both team exchanged scores and then a long distance free for midfield beside the sideline from the Clodiagh Gaels sub won the match.
Clodiagh Gaels were a bit lucky but they deserved it. They were far more aggressive than Drumcellen at the breakdown.
Drumcullen have gone to far into trying to play the perfect game. All the aggression has gone from the club.
They need to get the balance right. you want the lads to be aggressive and disciplined.
Man of the Match to me was The Clodaigh Gaels Centre Forward to me. He was a wall the the Drumcullen lads were try to get around all afternoon. He also scored a few points and set up the important goal in the second half.

As a Drumcullen man I'm disappointed but the hard work been done at the club is starting to show on the pitch. hopeful next year with our head correct we be going back to senior level.
And best of luck to Clodaigh Gaels in the Final.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Toxicity234 wrote:I was in O'Connor Park for Drumcullen vs Clodiagh Gaels.
I'm bias here as a Drumcullen man.
The games was a ok match. Drumcullen pick off some lovely points early and raced into a 0-8 to 0-2 lead and were in control from the first 15 mins.
Then Clodaigh kicked into gear and scored 1-3 or 1-4 without reply. David Buckley got the goal from a rebound. the original shot came off the crossbar but The Drumcullen goakeeper didn't react and Buckley finished it off.
Drumcullen regrouped and got themselves in front just before half time.

The second half.
Was like the 1st Drumcullen got themselves in front and were pick off scored with out killing off the game and by god did they get punished.
The Second goal came from Clodiagh Gaels Centre forward shot dropping short and ending up in the back of the net. them both team exchanged scores and then a long distance free for midfield beside the sideline from the Clodiagh Gaels sub won the match.
Clodiagh Gaels were a bit lucky but they deserved it. They were far more aggressive than Drumcellen at the breakdown.
Drumcullen have gone to far into trying to play the perfect game. All the aggression has gone from the club.
They need to get the balance right. you want the lads to be aggressive and disciplined.
Man of the Match to me was The Clodaigh Gaels Centre Forward to me. He was a wall the the Drumcullen lads were try to get around all afternoon. He also scored a few points and set up the important goal in the second half.

As a Drumcullen man I'm disappointed but the hard work been done at the club is starting to show on the pitch. hopeful next year with our head correct we be going back to senior level.
And best of luck to Clodaigh Gaels in the Final.
I was at the game, and Clodiagh Gaels' first goal hit the staunchion at the back of the net, and rebounded to a CG player who made sure. Drumcullen will wonder how they lost, 7 points up in first half, but the Gaels hauled them in, and were unlucky to go in a point down at half time, 0-10 to 1-6.
Drumcullen were dominant in the second half, and were 5 ahead in the closing stages, but they had a lot of wides in that period, had they converted some of those they would be in the county final. Clodiagh Gaels never gave up and drew level, as the game entered extra time. A long range free from Dwayne Dunne sealed it for the Gaels.
Great result for the new club, and thanks to poster for good wishes. Hopefully Drumcullen will have their day in the sun.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

SearingDrive wrote: I was at the game, and Clodiagh Gaels' first goal hit the staunchion at the back of the net, and rebounded to a CG player who made sure. Drumcullen will wonder how they lost, 7 points up in first half, but the Gaels hauled them in, and were unlucky to go in a point down at half time, 0-10 to 1-6.
Drumcullen were dominant in the second half, and were 5 ahead in the closing stages, but they had a lot of wides in that period, had they converted some of those they would be in the county final. Clodiagh Gaels never gave up and drew level, as the game entered extra time. A long range free from Dwayne Dunne sealed it for the Gaels.
Great result for the new club, and thanks to poster for good wishes. Hopefully Drumcullen will have their day in the sun.
I though the 1st goal did too but i check after the match and was told that it hit the crossbar and came back according to the Umpire and he didn't go for the flag until the 2nd strike. but the same umpire wave a Gaels point wide in the 1st half and it wasn't close it was over the black spot.
Its was a good finish for the forward

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Toxicity234 wrote:
SearingDrive wrote: I was at the game, and Clodiagh Gaels' first goal hit the staunchion at the back of the net, and rebounded to a CG player who made sure. Drumcullen will wonder how they lost, 7 points up in first half, but the Gaels hauled them in, and were unlucky to go in a point down at half time, 0-10 to 1-6.
I though the 1st goal did too but i check after the match and was told that it hit the crossbar and came back according to the Umpire and he didn't go for the flag until the 2nd strike. but the same umpire wave a Gaels point wide in the 1st half and it wasn't close it was over the black spot.
Its was a good finish for the forward
Win some lose some!
P

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Some achievement to reach the final in their first year , just goes to show that there are and were good hurlers both ends of the county . It would be interesting to know when was the last time there was a senior hurling team in the so called non traditional end of the county for hurling ? I know Edenderry last had a senior hurling team in the 60s but I wouldn't know of any other team around that end . Poth might be able to enlighten me if he can ! Great work at underage level is and will pay off for the Gaels into the future . Drumcullen I thought would go straight back to senior ranks as they have done before but this is a big set back , if a team fails to go straight back up it can get harder each year to bounce back especially with another team coming down from senior fighting for the one spot next year.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Some achievement to reach the final in their first year , just goes to show that there are and were good hurlers both ends of the county . It would be interesting to know when was the last time there was a senior hurling team in the so called non traditional end of the county for hurling ? I know Edenderry last had a senior hurling team in the 60s but I wouldn't know of any other team around that end . Poth might be able to enlighten me if he can ! Great work at underage level is and will pay off for the Gaels into the future . Drumcullen I thought would go straight back to senior ranks as they have done before but this is a big set back , if a team fails to go straight back up it can get harder each year to bounce back especially with another team coming down from senior fighting for the one spot next year.
Just for information, Killeigh( including Killurin) were Senior in the 60's and 70's. Killeigh also won the Intermediate title in 1981, beating Kilcormac/ Killoughey combination in the final. Killeigh and Killurin parted in 1985, and played as separate clubs until this year, when they merged. The result is there for all to see.
This part of Offaly isn't a hurling wasteland, never was. Ballinamere, Tullamore, and the Rahan area, under various names, all played hurling from early days, pre 1884, and to date.
We love the small ball up here too.

Mush
Junior C

Post by Mush »

Hi lads, wasn't Clara senior after winning intermediate championship in 2003

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Aw Janey! Edenderry would be the only club from the eastern end of the county to have played at Senior championship level. They won Junior in 1962, Intermediate in 1963, graduation to hurl Senior for four years between 1964 and 1967 inclusive. Prior to that, Edenderry's 1935 Intermediate Final win led to a decade at Senior grade while their 1954 win led to four further years at Senior, a spell which included a win over Birr.

As Searing Drive pointed out, Killeigh were last Senior during the 1980s, winning Intermediate in 1981 and staying Senior until 1986 when they were regraded when a Senior B competition was introduced. Killeigh were also Senior for the entire 1970s, and reached Senior semi-finals in 1976 and 1977.

Clara were Senior during the 1930s and 1940s but regraded downwards following the ending of the Emergency as they discovered football.
kingscounty wrote:Some achievement to reach the final in their first year , just goes to show that there are and were good hurlers both ends of the county . It would be interesting to know when was the last time there was a senior hurling team in the so called non traditional end of the county for hurling ? I know Edenderry last had a senior hurling team in the 60s but I wouldn't know of any other team around that end . Poth might be able to enlighten me if he can ! Great work at underage level is and will pay off for the Gaels into the future . Drumcullen I thought would go straight back to senior ranks as they have done before but this is a big set back , if a team fails to go straight back up it can get harder each year to bounce back especially with another team coming down from senior fighting for the one spot next year.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Great info there Poth and Searing .