Division 4 Offaly Vs Longford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Division 4 Offaly Vs Longford

Post by Toxicity234 »

Alan Mulhall (capt);
Brian Darby, Eoin Rigney, Joseph O'Connor;
Declan Hogan, Johnny Moloney, Niall Darby;
Graham Guilfoyle, Niall Smith;
Eoin Carroll, Niall McNamee, Keith Mullally;
Bernard Allen, Nigel Dunne, William Mulhall.

Big game in Longford tomorrow.
Just want to wish the team and management the best of luck.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Re: Division 4 Offaly Vs Longford

Post by townman »

be very hard to get a result on sunday, but the right man is over them and it will take time, whats Bracknaghboys thoughts on this game is he heading to longford.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Dont know about Bracknaghboy but this Doon man is going and hoping to sneak a win even if they were much too big & strong last year

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

safe trip ryot should be a hard tight game could nick a win if Niall Mac hits a good day. McConway is a big lost all the same.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

We'll be seeing more of this bunch so we might as well get stuck in good. Good luck and best wishes tomorrow to all involved. Will be following along on Radio 3.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

This ref is a joke, three offaly players sent off for nothing offences, Anton gets dragged and pulled all over the place with late tackle after late tackle and only a black card shown to the longford player, I'm seriously starting to think he was given a backhander and by the Longford county board, its a disgrace he should be reported

bare biffo
Junior B

Post by bare biffo »

100% agree on referee but first sending off was deserved. You cant punch a player and not expect to walk. Where were his team mates to pull him the fug out of the situation.
15 on 15 Offaly were better but missed too many first half chances.
Great effort in 2nd half but numbers were always going to tell.
Nothing to fear for championship.
Big game now next week.

hawksforever
Junior B
Club: clara

Post by hawksforever »

Where i was sitting Kavanagh struck first with the linesman having a perfect view well then he too should have been sent off. Poor Niall Smith makes histoty in my view as the first player sent off for tying his laces. Going into the last game playing the way we played today we should get promoted and have no doubt that we will easily win our next 2 games against these shower of whingers .
I said at full time to the guys with me that Flanaghan will confront the ref which he did and stewards made sure he was got off the pitch very quickly and i would imagine the accessor will need more than a few pages in summing up his report of this very poor referee.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

first they have to beat Antrim next sunday, then if theres anything in them they will have to cut the shit out of longford in the final, big game next weekend i hope they don't let all the hard work go to waste, it will be heartbreaking to stay in division 4 football for 2016.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bare biffo wrote:100% agree on referee but first sending off was deserved. You cant punch a player and not expect to walk. Where were his team mates to pull him the fug out of the situation.
15 on 15 Offaly were better but missed too many first half chances.
Great effort in 2nd half but numbers were always going to tell.
Nothing to fear for championship.
Big game now next week.
I agree with Bare Biffo's comments. Offaly were the better team, had they taken 2 chances at the start of the game, Offaly would have been in a strong position, even with 13 players in the second half Offaly were still playing the better football, and a Niall Mc Namee/Bernard Allen move might have yielded a goal.
Offaly's backs played well in the latter period, the loss of 3 players told in the end. We must beat Antrim at home next Sunday to get promoted.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Have to agree on that fool who some call a referee,,,,,,

From start to finish Longford targeted Anton, who was fouled at least 20 times, many of them late hits and nothing done

Then when he decides to book a Ld player while Anton is baulked taking a quick free and pushes the offender Anton gets booked.

Nial S was silly throwing a dig a few mins after getting yellow. He sure made Cauley look even more stupid with the tying of the laces !!!!

Paul punched and deserved his red but Kavanagh had punched at his "privates", then got up and went after Paul with a few belts. Linesman had run in when Kavanagh threw the first punch so he knew the score yet Yellow for Kav but REd for Paul was so unfair.

The time Brian D was caught around the neck in a half nelson and he gave a free against him was another joke,,,,

It was obvious from early on as Anton was being abused and not protected while Kavanagh was holding the tackling hand and then falling down and getting a free or pushing his hand into the defenders face and being let away with it that we would get nothing from Cauley.......

Disgusting to lose when we were much the better team. Missing the first minute goal chance and the one mid-way into the second half were killer blows but nothing compared to Cauley,,,,,,,

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Probably irrelevant with the sendings off but did Niall Mc start at centre forward?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bad as a referee a might be, you have to try and not give him reasons to keep punishing you.

Some refs will ease off on a team when they have sent off a man or given a few frees against them. Then there are other refs who will go to the other extreme and spend the day moving up frees and putting players off on the aggrieved team.
The more reaction they get, the more the think their hard line is being justified. I'm guessing this fella decided that Offaly needed policing and forgot about Longford. He'd be like the Garda squad car driving behind waiting for you to run an amber light or not to indicate on the roundabout.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I heard that it was Joey O'Connor who struck for the first red card.... Is this true and McConway being sent off in the wrong? Its not like McConway to strike a player off the ball no matter wjat wemt on between the two. Can anyone clarify that for me?

Pop76687
Junior B

Post by Pop76687 »

No it was McConway...maybe O'Connor struck him too! Kavanagh was on the ground and had made a bit of a meal out of a challenge. As mentioned earlier he was looking for the free every time and grabbing the forwards arm and falling to the ground any time there was contact. The boys went over to him to tell him to cop on and get up at which stage Kavanagh struck out at McConway. Fairly tame slap but seen by the linesman all the same, who in fairness, ran out and tried to get the attention of the ref, presumably to instruct him to give Kavanagh a yellow. Unfortunately McConway didn't like the mouthing he was getting and decided to give Kavanagh a dig in the back. Moment of madness really, given that the linesman was 5 yards away with the flag in hand awaiting the the ref. I'd be slow to give out too much about lads who are giving up there time but it really did let the side down as Offaly were looking good for the win at the time. Better now that later in the year I suppose.

Guilfoyle was a little unlucky with his 2nd yellow, he was sidestepped and kind of pulled his man to the ground. I didn't see Smith tying his lace but he was looking for trouble the whole 2nd half with late tackles. Discipline was cat and it will have to be looked at. Lost count the amount of times the ref brought play up. Again as someone stated I'd say the ref got sick of the mouthing at him and decided to police Offaly. As a result he was terribly biased and gave some crazy decisions.

On the plus side I thought Offaly looked a better side. The defence worked hard and the full back line won a tonne of ball in front of their men. With 14, 13 and finally 12 men they never gave up and worked tirelessly to turn over the ball. The attitude in that respect was very good and given how hard they were working it was understandable their frustration with the ref. Midfield is a problem area. Guilfoyle was good in patches, carried the ball well at times but took a few bad options. Smith was relatively anonymous bar one spectacular catch in the 2nd half. I thought Moloney was exceptional at centre back. Really led the side, carried the ball well and threw his weight around in the right way. Very unlucky to be penalized for very good tackling on occasion. All the backs I thought were pretty good to be honest. Carroll was quite enough at wing forward. Don't like McNamee at centre forward but he scored one outrageous score in the 1st half, which had both sets of fans applauding.

Anyway that's my two cents. Hopefully they'll get the win next week and will bottle the frustration until the meet Longford again later in the year.