League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Hurling League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 Mar

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:
townman wrote: jesus don't go back over we lost great hurlers over Whelehan :oops: where and who are theses great hurlers. what people have to remember look at the hand Sid has to play with, some on here wanted the kilcormac/killoughey 15 to play for offaly, as for Baker don't think he got offaly this far in the league. yes last year was year to forget but we did have to play the two best teams in the country over the last 8 years, we did beat Antrim up in Antrim in the championship,
Why did i say we lost great hurler in my comment?? We Lost some of the Best Hurler in the County.
Nobody want us to play 15 Kilcormac Killoughey Lads(now who talking shit).

There was no Quarter final in the League when Baker was in charge. If there was we would have made the Quarter final Both Years.
We Played Kilkenny the year before and weren't hammered. The year before we played Clare(all ireland Champion), Dublin(Lenister Champion) and Limerick(Munster Champion) over the years under baker and we ran them all close.

All the players that are playing this year apart from two were available last year. Whelehan Build a team and a plan(and stuck with it) that took us backwards.

this year he has improved thank god.

Your complete and utter dislike for Kilcormac Killoughey is disappointing from an Offaly man but it doesn't surprise me as you treated Coolderry the same when they were beating Birr.

Now back to the match. Had a look back at the All Ireland final replay last night. Kilkenny did a ok job in taking out the Tipperary Half Back line we need to do the same to give ourselves a chance to win on Sunday.

Well done to Sean Ryan on getting on the Hoganstand Team of week. I'm Hoping to see him there again next with a few more Offaly Lads.[/quote

wheres my dislike to k/k, if you go on to there threads i was at every game they hurl in leinster i was in wexford park were you? my point was that every game that offaly played let it be walsh cup or league games, some on here came up with the view that sure k/k would beat offaly and this and that should be on it, the Gerathys left the panel on their own choice, if you want to hurl for offaly you would stay and fight for your place. where did i run down Coolderry toxicity bring up the post that i did, like most on this site saying shit that people never wrote.

last year i was down in thurles on a saturday evening with about 40 other people from offaly watching us stay up again kerry, this year we are hurling tipp in a quarter final so well done to Whelehan and his panel i bet there will be more than 40 from offaly at that one and most are ones who are running Whelehan down all year on the site.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:townman
Dont get carried away we have beaten antrim in a game that didnt matter and we beat laois and limerick both with 14 men but wexford and waterford were much better than us .
townman to be fair to tox he said last year that s egan should be corner back d shortt e murphy should al;so be in the defence and u kept saying the were only club hurlers .
tox never said that all 15 kk lads should make the team , he made the point that g healion b leonard k grogan d kilmartain p geraghty from kk and d kelliher c doughan d morkam and s coughlan are better hurlers that some of the guys on the panel .
Townman u need to get over ur problem with kk because there here to stay after winning 3 in a row at senior and winning 3 of the last 4 minors they will be a force in offaly hurling for some time yet .
Sid seems to learnt that the sweeper system was a failure and that s dooley is a corner forward and d currams is a full forward but it has took him a year . B cody job is safe .
i fear for us on sunday
i have no problem with k/k they can win 9 ina row as far as i care, but what i would be worried about is a club going for 4 in a row have only 2 players on the squad for offaly and one just out of minor. Rhode in football were winning everything senior minors under 21's didn't stop the footballers going back to division 4. k/k winning everything in offaly isn't making the county team strong again is it sam.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by sam88885a »

townman
are u saying that the kk players would make the offaly squad stronger ? that some change u have always said kk had no county standard hurler ,they were only club hurlers .
Have u been converted townman will u be wearing the green and gold now .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman i hope ur correct in ur view that offaly has improved hugely from last year ,im not too sure .

We lost by a couple of point to laois last year , we only beat a 14 man laois team this year by a couple of points .
we drew with limerick last year and we beat a 14 man limerick this year . that was a huge result .
we beat antrim in a notting game in tullamore last year this year in the same game this year we only beat them.
last year wexford and cork outclassed us as did wexford and waterford this year .
Last year offaly completely under preformed in my view mainly due too poor team selection and insane tactics .
sunday will tell us more about where offaly really are and if sid has learnt anything . .

townman i hope im completely wrong , sunday will tell us a lot more can we stop p maher n maher and s callahan

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

townman wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ryot,

Beat Waterford in extra time in a Thurles quarter-final on the day Joachim made his comeback following his cruciate injury.
Beat Tipperary in the semi-final in Limerick on a wet day. Michael Duignan scoring the clinching goal in a tight game. Tipperary went on to win the All-Ireland later that year.
Won the league with a win over Wexford in Croke Park. Wexfordhad beaten Kilkenny in a replayed semi-final. Then feckt it all when losing to Dublin in Leinster's first round.
ryot wrote:Now I need help with a bit of old info.................

When we won t NL who did we beat in the Semi & Final ??
[/quote

don't forget big Daithi Regans two goals in the final again wexford

or Roy Mannion's performance at Centre back
Doon exile....

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

was a big lost to offaly hurling agree Mannion was one of the best around that time, Brian Hennessy also hurl well that day never reach the same level after but was sub on the 1994 winning side, there was some talent in the county them times.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:townman
are u saying that the kk players would make the offaly squad stronger ? that some change u have always said kk had no county standard hurler ,they were only club hurlers .
Have u been converted townman will u be wearing the green and gold now .
like as i said to toxicity please put up where i said kk had no county hurlers, you can't cause its was never said, what i did say that Dan Currams young Kiely and Conor Mahon and Ger Healion would be the only ones that could make it that were in, i also think Brian Leonard has the making of a half back or midfield, if you go back to old threads i have said this already if i get time i will post them up to jog your and toixicitys mind, what i did say is some had there way there would be 10 or more on it because kk done so well in the club. wexfords shemaliers won the title this year in wexford and kk beat them by 1 point in extra time, they only have one on the panel Joe Kelly who only got 5 minutes again us in tullamore. Killmallock won limerick 1 maybe 2 if lucky will be on the limerick team, how many froms Sarsfields in cork are on the cork team, even the great ballyhale the two fennellys TJ Reid are on the kilkenny team Joey Holden and Shefflian were subs, so club form doesn't mean that much at county level different game indeed.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:townman i hope ur correct in ur view that offaly has improved hugely from last year ,im not too sure .

We lost by a couple of point to laois last year , we only beat a 14 man laois team this year by a couple of points .
we drew with limerick last year and we beat a 14 man limerick this year . that was a huge result .
we beat antrim in a notting game in tullamore last year this year in the same game this year we only beat them.
last year wexford and cork outclassed us as did wexford and waterford this year .
Last year offaly completely under preformed in my view mainly due too poor team selection and insane tactics .
sunday will tell us more about where offaly really are and if sid has learnt anything . .

townman i hope im completely wrong , sunday will tell us a lot more can we stop p maher n maher and s callahan
jesus yea have me wore out :lol: as for sunday well tipp hit 2-28 last weekend down in cork again the munster champions, they hurl kikenny out the gate in Thurles beat Clare, with the Bonnar Maher and you will find Eamon O'Shea will put out Tipps best side as he will have to win some cup with tipp this year, i belive they will win the league i think they are the best in munster and if kilkenny are to be beaten late in summer 2015 i think tipp are the side to do it.

now as how will we do, well if we get alot tigher to them in the forwards than we did in portlaoise last summer will be a start, but tipp in fairness have 8 or 9 top forwards in their squad how Sean Ryan and Pat Camon will hurl again Woodlock maybe Shane McGrath, as you said Callaihan the top fullforward in the game, i'd say steve Wynne could be out, so that would leave a fullback line of McDonald, Shortt,King, our forwards this is a big step up in class from what they have hurl in the league, so Dooley who is back to his class best needs a least 3 more forwards to step up to make a game of it at least, Joe Bergin wouldn't be up to his best yet but is getting there, we need Carroll Currams, Quirke to hurl like they never did before, Cillian Kiely is a find young hurler and tipp will do there best as they know the chap can see the red mist at times and will try to draw him out if he starts, Emmett Nolan another young hurler that will find the going hard on sunday, and that will stand to them in the years ahead. so sam sundays result won't really show where we are if they beat us under 5 points it will be thats not to bad if its 20 or more sure they will say sure we knew that tipp would hammer us we are shit with a shit manger over us.

but i don't agree with you on our wins over laois and limerick and Antrim, the laois win laois were flying they gave wexford a hammering in the walsh cup wheres we were well beaten by Galway, laois were suppose to be way ahead of offaly and Cheddar was the bees kness and he was what offaly need, but Sid had offaly spot on that evening and besides the sending off offaly would still have won if the game was 15 each Zane Keenans 2 pens we have a top class keeper.

the Limerick win was guts heart and skill, yes limerick Dowling left them in the shit yet limerick flew out of the traps, but offaly played some great hurling Dooley Bergin, Emmett Nolan done what limerick forwards couldn't put the scores on the board. the Antrim win any win up there is always hard won we lost last year in the play off but after the limerick win Sid keep there feet on the ground i belive if it was last year we would have lost again and i wasn't at the Antrim game but i belive offaly were far the better team. so like last year we have to hurl one of the top teams in the country, yes tipp should have no trouble getting where they want the league final, but i hope offaly give there best thats all you can asked for.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

To be fair, Townman has a point with regard to KK.

Tis some of ye lads, Tox, Sam & the Chris lad spent the whole time talking about all the KK lads that should be on with Offaly.

There is some chip on the shoulder with KK supporters on this site, sur Lord Jayz, we all supported them when they went outside Offaly, same as Birr and Coolderry.

Will say it one last time, Grogan and Leonard are 2 class hurlers but they don't wish to hurl with Offaly.
The Geraghty's are nice hurlers who walked from the panel.
Damien Gilmartin can feel some grievance. Conor Mahon would be better served committing to the football, for every 1 decent game he plays 4 very average.
Slevin hasn't got it for county as we have a couple of very good free takers in there at present.

On the other hand Sid made mistakes last year, but as I said a couple of weeks ago, he deserves a bit of credit when the results have gone well.
Lets face it, there were a lot of lads on here who had us condemned to Christy Ring next year and Div 2.

Good luck to the lads, only got to make the Waterford game and I was disappointed with the way we faded out of the game. Being close to the sideline I watched Whelehans despair as puck after puck out was lost due to the terrible efforts of the half forward line to contest. Lets hope we don't see something like this against Tipp as they will eat us alive.
Lets face it, this is a game that we should look forward to in that we have nothing to lose.

Best of luck to the players and management on Sunday, and lets get off our arses and get out and support the lads or get to Longford!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:
Lets face it, this is a game that we should look forward to in that we have nothing to lose.
That's it right there.

No fear, just git on 'em!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Anyone know what has happened to Paddy Murphy,played very well against Laois, brought off against Wexford and hasnt played since, is he injured or just dropped.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Does anyone know where Stephen Egan is, is he injured? He had been hurling very well by all accounts.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman laois did beat wexford in the walsh cup but wexford played cork in a challenge the day before from what im told .
look its great to be in the league quarter finals and hopefully this offaly team will rise to the challenge on sunday .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:townman laois did beat wexford in the walsh cup but wexford played cork in a challenge the day before from what im told .
look its great to be in the league quarter finals and hopefully this offaly team will rise to the challenge on sunday .
just back to last years league game again laois sam88885a you said they only beat us by a few points, in fairness we got 2 goals near the end to put a good look on the score board, we were way better and ready and had our homework done on them this year. yes it is good to be in a quarter-final sure all we can do is give it a shot.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman that what bothers me this year sid did his homework and we could have lost to a 14 man laois whereas last year we nearly caught laois with half a team
i honestly think we are capable of staying ahead of laois antrim carlow westmeath but we have work to do to catch up with wexford dublin galway and kilkenny in leinster .
last year we were slipping at an alarming rate hopefully things are starting to move in the right direction now .
to me the limerick win is the only notable win of sids management career so far . beating laois antrim and kerry would not be seem as progress to most offaly people .