League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by bracknaghboy »

Totally agree POTH. It beggars belief that a manager would bring this up a few days before a national quarter final, and shows us where his priorities are at. He should be analysing and correcting why his team are struggling to play with wind advantage or how they can't cope when teams drop a man back. Also why his forwards completely loose their shape after 20 mins of a game. These are the real issues. The wind will blow in Tullamore tomorrow as it will in Birr. Perhaps if Tipperary do what most expect they'll do tomorrow then BW has already given himself an excuse in the form of the venue.
Its time "Club Faithful" and the County Board stood up to the plate and start running buses to ferry the masses from the south to Tullamore for these games. Transport appears to be the major issue so why can't that it be done and see actually how many would be bothered to turn up. The real supporters will be in Tullamore or Longford tomorrow regardless. The rest can sit at home and reminisce about how great it was and how unbeatable the team when the games were played in an old rundown venue and the others will just sit at home.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

will you be Longford so Bracknaghboy, its funny you mention club faithful they have been running buses to games the one for the limerick game was called off as feck all were going, and it set off from the capital town tullamore shows you how many were going from that area. i belive the players also want to play the games in Birr. i agree doen't matter where we hurl tipp it will be impossible to beat them in birr or tullamore with the hurlers we have and where tipp are. i rather it was in Thurles as our record in tullamore is cruel even leix beat us there last year plus we lost both home games there this year, yes O'Connor park is where all games will be played now lets hope the county board pull the finger out and get lights on as we won't be losing home games every year in underage football.

i know we are up to our tits in loans over O'Connor park but sure the bank's won't take a field or stand back off them, lets look after the youth in the county and work at underage, no point in have a lovely stand with feck all only division 4 football and division 1B hurling again laois and Antrim to look at every year.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:It’s worrying that the manager is concentrating on getting the match played in his home club’s grounds when his efforts might be better concentrated on devising a plan for the match.

Offaly have played Tipperary in Burrr 13 times in the NHL, winning 3, drawing once and losing nine. So the venue hasn’t exactly been an inspiration. Indeed, of Offaly’s 6 NHL wins over Tipperary, 3 have been in Birr, with one each at Thurles, Nenagh and Limerick. Burrr is no fortress.

And for those who claim Tellamore has no atmosphere. Well, who makes the atmosphere? Don’t go to the match, and the atmosphere thing becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

And if the Burrr club claim a percentage of the gate (as is their right), that’s alot of draw tickets and lotto tickets the other clubs have to sell in order to compete. Perhaps the Burrr gate should be divvied among the other hurling clubs?

I wouldn’t be as quick to poo pooh safety considerations either, and I am writing from experience. Many years ago, as a boy still in Primary School, I was outside OCP queuing to enter. Some randomer decided he wasn’t going to queue and gave a closed entrance gate a joult, forcing it open. A few dozen people charged for the open gate and I was caught in the stampede, lifted off my feet and carried inside the gate while the duffle coat (think Paddington Bear!) I was carrying was ripped from my arm and it disappeared ahead of me. Now the stampede only lasted ten seconds or so, no-one was hurt but it was still frightening for that short period. And I was able to collect the duffle coat of the ground once inside the gate so all ended well.

I know accidents, slips, trips and the like can and will happen but OCP has been designed with safety in mind. That’s important.
the name is Birr sure to god someone from the arse end of lusmagh should know that, anyway who ever was with you should have knowing better not to try and get into a gate after been force open with a child with him. as for a coat with Paddington bear i won't blame you for not putting it on you i would have left it in the stampede to :lol:

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

complete agree . Not the time, Not the Week and not the place to make such a request!

I was caught in a mini crush in Maracanã Stadium when an 96 min goal dragged everyone back up the steps when i was half way down. Not nice at all.

Birr is a fine Stadium and better than some place i been to inter county match at.
But can anyone tell us has the county board done a safety statement and what was the issue that were raised or is it available to read somewhere?

on a side note. The Match itself:
James Dempsey;
Niall Wynne, Dermot Shortt, David King;
Cathal Parlon, Colin Egan, Eanna Murphy;
Sean Ryan, Pat Camon;
Brian Carroll, Joe Bergin, Emmett Nolan;
Stephen Quirke, Dan Currams, Shane Dooley.
According to Wild Rover Facebook page.

Carroll and Bergin are brilliant hurlers but both are inside forwards not half forwards. They need a huge game not from an attacking point of view but from a defence point of view they need stop that Tipp half back line or we be murdered.
We also need to make sure that Wynne, Shortt and King are not left with 40 yards of space in front of them or even 15 or 20 cause that tipp full forward line will destory an back line if it given space.
From an Offaly point of view getting good cross field ball into our full forward line and we can do enough damage to cause an up set. That start with our half back line doing it basic job correctly been in the correct position to attack the tipp puck out and phyicall stop the tipp half forward and midfield if necessary. this mean that out midfield need to get to the breakdown as fast as possible.

lets go and give tipp hell tomorrow and best of luck to the whole team and management tomorrow.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

bracknaghboy wrote:Totally agree POTH. It beggars belief that a manager would bring this up a few days before a national quarter final...
Yep. Could not believe my eyes when I saw the venue change request just before the game.

We've had a decent league this year. I thought where we play could be put aside until the league has concluded at least.

Good luck to all involved tomorrow, give 'em socks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

i dont know why el sid bothers, really i dont.

surely he knows most of the offaly crowd will be below in nolan pk any how :mrgreen:

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

It shouldn't matter where the match is played. It's a pitch with two goals and loads of lines. The surroundings isn't going to magically make a team play better. O Connor Park is one of the top pitches and facilities in ireland. That is why lots of underage all Ireland's are played there and why it is used as a neutrel venue for senior football and hurling games. Any team shouldn't care where a match is and if they do care so much about then they have a lot more to worry about than a pitch. Best of luck to the footballers and hurlers tomorrow

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

It's a strange one alright with Brian looking for d match in Birr considering that lads would be more familiar these days with Tullamore it would be different if they were training in Birr every evening. I do agree that more matches should be played in Birr but wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to performances at the moment.
Back to d match hopefully we can get our match ups right 2mor and don't let d gaps through d middle happen like last year in Portlaoise and don't give up soft goals. If we can make them shoot from distance and stop quick ball into their full forward line we can give ourselves a chance.
One worrying aspect is the hammering Dublin gave Limerick, how bad ŵere Limerick and it could be the trend for all the 1A vs1B teams tomorrow

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

townman wrote:will you be Longford so Bracknaghboy, its funny you mention club faithful they have been running buses to games the one for the limerick game was called off as feck all were going, and it set off from the capital town tullamore shows you how many were going from that area.
Any bus would have passed through Birr and would have gone ahead if enough people from that area wanted to go.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bad move dredging up an issue that was put to bed nearly 10 years. If local club grounds like Birr are to hold inter county matches, then Walsh Cup and certain league fixtures are their best bet. The quarter final of a national competition is hardly a realistic target.
Hopefully this isn't pre-emptive excuse making by Whelahan.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
townman wrote:will you be Longford so Bracknaghboy, its funny you mention club faithful they have been running buses to games the one for the limerick game was called off as feck all were going, and it set off from the capital town tullamore shows you how many were going from that area.
Any bus would have passed through Birr and would have gone ahead if enough people from that area wanted to go.
so it was half full in tullamore and they said there was no one from Birr rang to book a seat so lets stay at home :roll:

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

It will take a brave soul to go onto the hill today.... A seat in the stand has my name on it!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Good job it's on in an estadio with cover for almost 7,000.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

theoutsider wrote:It shouldn't matter where the match is played. It's a pitch with two goals and loads of lines. The surroundings isn't going to magically make a team play better. O Connor Park is one of the top pitches and facilities in ireland. That is why lots of underage all Ireland's are played there and why it is used as a neutrel venue for senior football and hurling games. Any team shouldn't care where a match is and if they do care so much about then they have a lot more to worry about than a pitch. Best of luck to the footballers and hurlers tomorrow
If I was playing in our back line I would much prefer the game to be played in Birr as all pitches are not the same. Tullamore is considerably bigger than Birr which makes the task of stopping the tipperary forwards much harder. A more compact ground like Birr would make it harder to isolate our defenders in one on one situations which is what the tipp forwards do to hurt you. Now I know you will say our manager should devise a system to prevent this from happening which is true, but regardless of whatever we try a quality team like tipp will outclass us.
I'm not say that by playing the game in Birr would mean we would win, but it would help our team.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good luck today , Tullamore is a top class pitch and venue and can be no excuse good or bad regardless of the result, it's the home of Offaly full stop so just stop the crap about where it's played . Let the team focus on the task ahead and don't hold back , all the best .