League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by allstar2010 »

Bloggs - It would only help us if they were consistently playing in Birr, I agree it's a much tighter pitch but makes no difference as these players rarely play on it. The playing surface and facilities in Birr are only average club standard. You'd only fit half the panel of players in the dressing rooms there that small. Tullamore is excellent facility for inter county games and unless Birr gets a serious overhaul all games are in Tullamore. End of.

F D Begrudgers
Junior C

Post by F D Begrudgers »

Great Call by Sid, The whole O'Connor Park vs St Brendans request will ultimately lead to another intercounty venue option, help keep the whole county united and has the usual mouthpieces bickering instead of their standard belittling of players before games. Offaly can go about their business and give it a real shot. Hon the faithful.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Shocking disappointing, Tipp were miles ahead of us and never pushed on to much . Their passing and movement was far better than ours. Each time our backs got the ball they were messing around with short pucks or not on passes . We had no ball winners on the half forward line . Carroll battled hard all day and got some nice points and got pulled down for the penalty . Our striking was fierce poor , we either hit it no distance or were blocked down far to easily .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Would agree that Carroll did well, but it only highlights the issue we have, which is that nearly all of our forwards prefer playing in the inside line. Putting Shane Dooley anywhere other than close to goal would appear to be madness (in six games, he scored all bar one of our goals and was our top pointscorer from play as well), Joe Bergin is far more effective at full forward than on the half line - though he can do okay further out - while Stephen Quirke and Dan Currams are also either 15 and 14 respectively, or nowhere. Now add Carroll into that, and for me the case for someone like Paddy Murphy as a natural ten grows stronger, simply just for the comfort of fielding someone on the half forward line who actually wants to be there. The absence of Conor Mahon is being sorely felt as well.

As for the game itself, it's hard to judge. Yeah, Tipperary were held to a solitary point for the last half an hour, but they lost Bergin and Callanan, played with fourteen, and were holding on to their lead. It wasn't a normal game situation, in that sense. Some encouraging performances though, and definitely from jerseys one to four you'd have to say we're getting closer to a championship standard unit, which is a pleasant change from where we were. Emmet Nolan did some good work today and while he made mistakes, he was involved in everything and looked to take on responsibility. He and Pat Camon were possibly the pick of the bunch from half back up, notwithstanding Carroll's late cameo and of course Dooley, who continued his excellent recent form.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the funny thing about todays game the way it ened up if we had 3 or 4 good forwards we could have won, how manys pens has Dooley missed now, could they not give James Dempsey a shot at it ?

felt sorry for the backs today they were under fierce pressure with every ball they cleared it came back down as fast, Bergin, Currams, Quirke, Carroll in patches were all AWOL at times today, we had no midfield but in fairness we haven't this 10 years or more.

don't agree kingscounty i think if tipp could have beaten offaly by 20 points today they would have in fairness the lads got stuck in again a tipp side who are way ahead of us, but our problem is from midfield up , where is Paddy Murphy and Shane Kinsella gone to and Sean Cleary, Eanna Murphy was a lost out of the half back line, i think its time to bit the bullet with Currams and Bergin, leave them on bench and bring them on during the game. we have a long break now before championship i suppose its an open panel i see Belmonts David Cox number 26 on todays programme.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Lone Shark wrote:Would agree that Carroll did well, but it only highlights the issue we have, which is that nearly all of our forwards prefer playing in the inside line. Putting Shane Dooley anywhere other than close to goal would appear to be madness (in six games, he scored all bar one of our goals and was our top pointscorer from play as well), Joe Bergin is far more effective at full forward than on the half line - though he can do okay further out - while Stephen Quirke and Dan Currams are also either 15 and 14 respectively, or nowhere. Now add Carroll into that, and for me the case for someone like Paddy Murphy as a natural ten grows stronger, simply just for the comfort of fielding someone on the half forward line who actually wants to be there. The absence of Conor Mahon is being sorely felt as well.

As for the game itself, it's hard to judge. Yeah, Tipperary were held to a solitary point for the last half an hour, but they lost Bergin and Callanan, played with fourteen, and were holding on to their lead. It wasn't a normal game situation, in that sense. Some encouraging performances though, and definitely from jerseys one to four you'd have to say we're getting closer to a championship standard unit, which is a pleasant change from where we were. Emmet Nolan did some good work today and while he made mistakes, he was involved in everything and looked to take on responsibility. He and Pat Camon were possibly the pick of the bunch from half back up, notwithstanding Carroll's late cameo and of course Dooley, who continued his excellent recent form.

agree about Shane Dooley best in the fullforward line but he only got two pucks of it in the first half 1 point 1 wide, its only when he came out under the stand in the second half that he got into the game he scored a nice few points. forget about Currams doesn't matter 14,15,12, the chap isn't cut out for inter county hurling he got loads of ball in the first half and Conor O'Mahony who has a good few years on him left him for dead for every ball his heart not in it, the backs done their best but Niall Wynne was giving Niall O'Meara way to much room and was at fault for Callanans goal in the frist half. in fairness a 6 point defeat wasn't to bad with a missed pen, plus Nolan should have had a goal after 3 minutes Carroll also missed two sitters in the first half also. anyway wasn't a bad league at times for us,

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I would agree young Nolan did well today, he made mistakes and is a little bit slow at making up his mind as to what to do with the ball but in fairness to him he tackled and got stuck in and another year or two hurling at this level will stand to him big time . Mahon as loneshark said is a loss , we need him and Colin Egan in the half forward line to win our puck outs.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This is the kind of shyte that gives genuine posters on this site, and elsewhere, a bad name. This poster adds absolutely nothing to this site, and comments like the one below about Daniel Currams are typical of his/her contributions. Daniel didn't hurl well today but the comment quoted below surely doesn't fit anyone's description of fair comment, it's a regular occurrence and is gone beyond tiresome.
townman wrote: forget about Currams doesn't matter 14,15,12, the chap isn't cut out for inter county hurling he got loads of ball in the first half and Conor O'Mahony who has a good few years on him left him for dead for every ball his heart not in it,
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I have to call you out on this too. If the whole of the country was scoring penalties and Shane Dooley was missing them you might have a point, but the whole of the country is missing penalties in hurling too.
townman wrote:the funny thing about todays game the way it ened up if we had 3 or 4 good forwards we could have won, how manys pens has Dooley missed now, could they not give James Dempsey a shot at it ?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Turenne
Junior A

Post by Turenne »

If Tipp had a couple more sent off, your lot could have nipped that.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well we didn't lose a 4 goal lead like your cork did last weekend :roll:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:This is the kind of shyte that gives genuine posters on this site, and elsewhere, a bad name. This poster adds absolutely nothing to this site, and comments like the one below about Daniel Currams are typical of his/her contributions. Daniel didn't hurl well today but the comment quoted below surely doesn't fit anyone's description of fair comment, it's a regular occurrence and is gone beyond tiresome.
townman wrote: forget about Currams doesn't matter 14,15,12, the chap isn't cut out for inter county hurling he got loads of ball in the first half and Conor O'Mahony who has a good few years on him left him for dead for every ball his heart not in it,
so you think he done his best today and this was an off day. but its alright for you to post up whos good and who's not in all the views you have post up.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Jesus townman a lad is struggling for form, not hurling well is a part of all part of sport but to accuse a lad of no heart is a different story altogether. I know the lads hurling are working very hard in putting Offaly hurling back on the map and the effort they are putting in on and off the field this year is very impressive and Dan would be no different and would probably one of the most committed guys for looking after himself and like all inter county players put there lives on hold for GAA. I enjoy this site and come on here regularly and I have criticised performances and styles of hurling we trying and not trying and I think I am entitled to do so as are you but I am not entitled to question individuals heart on here.
I think it is a disgraceful comment.

As for the game from an Offaly point of view things are improving slightly, we are trying to do the right things more often than not ie support the man in procession more, lay off the ball to a man in a better position, cross field balls to the forwards, varying the puck outs more, backs out in front and when behind discipline not to rush in and give away silly frees, a more settled team. Ok a lot of things went bad yday aswell ball winning was very poor especially from long puck outs or hand passing and short passes were very poor at times and lost a lot of breaking balls in the middle third was lost but these things can be worked on. I would have taken a 6 point lose before the game. Disappointing support from Offaly there yday

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

looking at the positives after the league , sid has found a full back with real potental , j demsey is a top class keeper , the team is much fitter than last year, there work rate has improved .
n wynne d king c kiely e nolan s quirke s kinsella and p murphy are young lads that are improving and the experence gained should stand to them .
s dooley has found his top form after a disapointing year in 2014 by his own standards .
j bergin and d currams are struggling with their form but both are fine hurlers .
i think d currams came straight into training after kk lost to ballyhale , he hasnt had a break in 3 years and has had a few nasty injuries during those 3 years . j bergin was also injured so hopefull with improved weather in 9 weeks both will be back to their brilliant best .
with 2 rounds of the club championship sid will get a chance to see if there are players outside the panel that can add to the team for the laois game .
overall some improvements from last year but a lot of work to be done but honestly i would have been happy before the league started if i was told we would be within 6 points of tipp in a league quarter final

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

I agree with sam8885a. we have to look @ the positives. The only negative I have is that Whelan still doesnt

Dempsey has proved he is one of the best in the business. Shortt is solid @ fullbackand should be left their to develop. Paddy Murphy & Shane Kinsella have been injured but they have been in good form when playing. Kiely and Nolan are getting game time and developing into some of our better players. Dooley is looking fit and back on form.

The negatives will always shine out though. How can we improve if we dont know our negatives!!!

Whelan still doesn't know his best 15. I think neither Niall or Stephen Wynne are corner backs. Does anyone know where Stephen Egan is the last few games?
Colin Egan is not a center back and proved it again last Sunday. I know Eanna Murphy was injured but he is the best #6 at present in the county and played wing back the last 2 games.
Our midfield pairings have changed nearly every game. Sean Ryan is flying it but has not found a similar partner.
We are not wining puck outs. Not one ball caught against Tipp. Paddy Murphy will be an addition but I think Egan should be wing forward.
Currams is not hurling well consistently but when in form is very dangerous around the goal.