League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: League Quarter-Final Offaly Vs Tipperary, 29 March 3pm

Post by townman »

besides Ollie Bakers side beating wexford in tullamore 3 years ago, what other big win have we had sam, beating limerick in limerick in 2008 was no shock as we always most days beat Limerick.
would i be right in saying the all ireland semil-final in 2000 again Cork was our last big win ?

we have only beating Laois,wexford, Dublin,Antrim,Limerick since, so since Pat Fleurys side in 2000 not to many mangement had any notable wins in their career's over offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

How are Tipp fixed for injuries? Talk is that Bubbles O'Dwyer is out

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

dey had around 10 missing for de clare & KK matches. had bonner bak v cork but lost barrett. Decent enuf panel @ dis stage...will need dem all on Sunday esp wit de match in OConnor pk

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Is there any truth in them charging €20 into Tullamore on Sunday? That would be €15 buying them online or in the selected shops before hand i would presume

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Killeighman wrote:Is there any truth in them charging €20 into Tullamore on Sunday? That would be €15 buying them online or in the selected shops before hand i would presume
i checked on the gaa website and all quarter finals are 20 euro for the hurling. Cork and Dublin come off better as they have double headers with the division 1 footballers, Dublin vs Limerick, Dublin vs Derry, Cork vs Mayo, Cork vs Wexford. Waterford vs Galway is a single game.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

fifitrixiebelle wrote:dey had around 10 missing for de clare & KK matches. had bonner bak v cork but lost barrett. Decent enuf panel @ dis stage...will need dem all on Sunday esp wit de match in OConnor pk

pity they didn't play the team that they played this year and kilkenny and clare,last year as their best team haven't won anything the last 4 years.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to Offaly at the week end , looking forward to the game . Tipp very good team and well capable of scoring 20 + points in a game so we need to be on our toes from the get go .

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

townman wrote:
fifitrixiebelle wrote:dey had around 10 missing for de clare & KK matches. had bonner bak v cork but lost barrett. Decent enuf panel @ dis stage...will need dem all on Sunday esp wit de match in OConnor pk

pity they didn't play the team that they played this year and kilkenny and clare,last year as their best team haven't won anything the last 4 years.
true....as you accept dere townman victories over de likes of offaly mean notin to tipp

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Best wishes to All involved with Offaly this weekend!!!

Let's go get 'em!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Seriously?

Whelehan venue request turned down
27 March 2015

O'Connor Park in Tullamore.
©INPHO
Offaly manager Brian Whelehan’s request to have their NHL quarterfinal against Tipperary played in Birr has been turned down.

The game has been scheduled for O’Connor Park, Tullamore, but Whelehan had asked the Offaly County Board to move the game to Birr.

However, the county board have revealed that when they contacted Croke Park over the possibility of playing the game in Birr, they were told that they would need a safety statement from the venue before the game could go ahead.

This will not happen before Sunday and the game will go ahead as planned at O’Connor Park, despite Whelehan’s pleas.

Offaly are huge underdogs against Tipperary, and Whelehan felt that playing in Birr would have brought out more support for them.

From Hoganstand.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

beat he to it Kevin:-)

I would have love to see a few a this years games in Birr and this bullshit about a safety statement has been the excuses for far to long now.
The county board need to step up and explain in detail what need to do to meet the requirements,
If New Ross can hold inter county match Birr should be no problem.

To me the Galway, Waterford and Wexford Game should have been in Birr or at least one or two of them.
But this request should have been put in at the start of the league not the week of the match. (that is that Birr could hold inter county matches not just this Match)
“Common sense is not so common.”

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

Best of luck to the lads on Sunday, with nothing to lose hopefully we put in a decent shift and we take the game to Tipp from the start, wouldn't it be great going into work on Monday and not have to listen to all the shit from the Tipp boys that I have to listen to every week, miracles do happen!

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Toxicity234 wrote:beat he to it Kevin:-)

I would have love to see a few a this years games in Birr and this bullshit about a safety statement has been the excuses for far to long now.
The county board need to step up and explain in detail what need to do to meet the requirements,
If New Ross can hold inter county match Birr should be no problem.

To me the Galway, Waterford and Wexford Game should have been in Birr or at least one or two of them.
But this request should have been put in at the start of the league not the week of the match. (that is that Birr could hold inter county matches not just this Match)
Rumour has it that Smoky McDonagh has challenged Ronnie O'Sullivan to snooker game. He's confident of pulling off a shock if its played on a pool table...Birr.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Tipp Team v Offaly:Egan P Stapleton O'Mahony Barrett Bergin P Maher R Maher Woodlock Breen O'Dwyer B Maher Forde N McGrath Callanan O'Meara

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It’s worrying that the manager is concentrating on getting the match played in his home club’s grounds when his efforts might be better concentrated on devising a plan for the match.

Offaly have played Tipperary in Burrr 13 times in the NHL, winning 3, drawing once and losing nine. So the venue hasn’t exactly been an inspiration. Indeed, of Offaly’s 6 NHL wins over Tipperary, 3 have been in Birr, with one each at Thurles, Nenagh and Limerick. Burrr is no fortress.

And for those who claim Tellamore has no atmosphere. Well, who makes the atmosphere? Don’t go to the match, and the atmosphere thing becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

And if the Burrr club claim a percentage of the gate (as is their right), that’s alot of draw tickets and lotto tickets the other clubs have to sell in order to compete. Perhaps the Burrr gate should be divvied among the other hurling clubs?

I wouldn’t be as quick to poo pooh safety considerations either, and I am writing from experience. Many years ago, as a boy still in Primary School, I was outside OCP queuing to enter. Some randomer decided he wasn’t going to queue and gave a closed entrance gate a joult, forcing it open. A few dozen people charged for the open gate and I was caught in the stampede, lifted off my feet and carried inside the gate while the duffle coat (think Paddington Bear!) I was carrying was ripped from my arm and it disappeared ahead of me. Now the stampede only lasted ten seconds or so, no-one was hurt but it was still frightening for that short period. And I was able to collect the duffle coat of the ground once inside the gate so all ended well.

I know accidents, slips, trips and the like can and will happen but OCP has been designed with safety in mind. That’s important.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.