Offaly v Waterford, NHL, Saturday 7th March 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Offaly v Waterford, NHL, Saturday 7th March 2015

Post by townman »

kingscounty wrote:
townman wrote:
kingscounty wrote:Shocking disappointing in the second half. Great start 7 points to 0 after 16 mins , Waterfords first score coming after 17 mins. Bergin should have been taken off at half time he wasn't going for the ball at all . Dempsey made an unreal save in the second half . Nolan at half back was running around marking no one , Waterford seemed to have 3 or 4 men waiting to pick up breaking ball , we couldn't win our own puck outs at all . Waterford got a fierce soft goal when the Offaly back made a terrible effort to clear the ball
Emmett Nolan was midfield today not half back, our problem was Currams standing off Tadhg De Burca waterfords number 5 on our puck out and let him catch about 4 puck outs without laying a finger or hurl on him, and to cap the day off they took off Sean Cleary who was trying his heart out and won some good ball under the stand in the second half he made Dooleys goal , how Mulrooney and Currams got the 70 minutes in the forward line was a joke.
Well he was named at half back then , he was running around pulling out of 50 / 50 tackles anyway. I thought Mulrooney tried hard enough got a score and Dooleys goal came off him I think could be wrong there too. Cleary was going for the ball and did win and fight for the ball . Currams is very much out of form maybe the captaincy isn't suiting him and maybe more pressure on him , no harm not starting or subbing a lad like Currams , give him the hunger to get his place back .[/quote

Nolan went midfield instead of Camon, Parlon went right half back, whats the story with Stephen Egan and Colin Egan both were missed big time today.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Colin Egan looked injured , thought I seen him with blue tape on the back of his leg , huge loss indeed. Not sure about anyone else

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

It's worse it's getting. There was no shape to the team, we won very little (if any) of our own puck outs, we pulled out of countless tackles, we stood back and let them claim the ball.....tactically we (or, more correctly, the manager) had not got a clue .....ithink only two lads out of the whole Offaly contingent can say theydid their best.....Shane Dooley and James Dempsey.....oOur full backline was pulled all over the place, our half back line was non existent, our midfield was by - passed, the half forward line won no ball, and the ccorner forwards touched tthe ball 3 times in the whole game I think.....we had no leaders, on or off the pitch.....sorry to sound repetitive.....but the manager has no idea how to use this group of hurlers in an effort to get the best out of them. No coherent plan, no shape, no direction.........and flattered by the scoreline
Last edited by Chris on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Hurley
Junior A

Post by Don Hurley »

Lads, I am from Dublin and live in Offaly. Having been part of the Dublin hurling set up for many years I can understand disappointment. And I appreciate how hard it is to go to matches like today's and watch your team give away a lead and play well below what you believe they are capable of.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I really do understand the pain and sometimes anger of it - but this site often says disrespectful things about players and management. They really are trying their best and probably suffer a lot on evenings like this.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

Did sid instructed currams to play deeper sweep around midfield , protect the lead when we went 7 points up?

This is the second game that our defence has been destoyed by runners from deep creating overlaps and the managment still havent a game plan to counter act it .
IN the wexford and waterford games we have coceeded almost 100 scoring chances , { shy of 50 in both between score and wides } , if we continue conceeding that amount of chances we are going to get a huge hammering some day soon .
We really miss C mahon at centre forward doing the donkey work , currams dooley bergin quirke or carroll just dont get stuck in enough in my opinion .
Still the first 16 minutes was positive when we were 15 on 15 , if we had c egan s egan c kiely and d kenny back and we had a decent simple game plan , and a managment that really believed in his team things might improve .
We need to be settling on our best 15 soon .

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Lads I am seeing people writing posts about Dan Currams is out of form because of captaincy,Dan currams is not hurling well etc etc. It's noting got to to do with anything other than Dan himself. He is the best club hurler in thr county the last 2 years but I honestly can put my hand on my heart and say I have never seen him hurl well for Offaly .Maybe it's time we let joe bergin and Dan Currams go and bring in young lads.It's not happening for either of them and it hasnt been for the last 4 years why persist with it.Club level is totally different to county and these 2 more than the rest of the lads just don't cut it at this level.It was an awful appointment by sid making him captain.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Could someone post up the Offaly team.... I didn't make the game.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Dempsey
Stephen wynne, shortt, king
Mooney, eanna Murphy, pardon
Nolan Ryan
Cleary, curmins, James mulrooney
Dooley,Bergin, Carroll
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don't believe there is anything to be gained by announcing your team to the world pre-match, but be that as it may, Chris' question was answered by Offaly County Board at 4.30pm yesterday.

It's alot of work.

Offaly GAA's Twitter account didn't give its own score updates from OCP yesterday, instead opting to piggyback on Waterford by retweeting their tweets. @Offalygaa then tweeted "Thanks to @WaterfordGAA and @EastDeiseGAA for the tweets. You save me alot of work".

By extension, I am taking it that the other work County Boards do like underage coaching, are curtailed as they are "alot of work". And so the County Senior team is sent out without a clue how to contest a dropping ball (hurlers have been fielding hurling balls since the 1950s) and how to defend when an opponent is running at you, ball on hurl (that's been going on since the 1930s).
Chris wrote:Can someone please tell me why Offaly Senior Hurling management are, generally, the last to name their team before League and Championship games?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well Lads disappointing. It a game with some leadership we should have won.
After the Dooley goal the game was there for the winning at that stage. Waterford were rattle but we just didn't take the next two scoring chances. Its a pity.
Games ebb and flow. We have to learn that when the games ebb it isn't going away from us and not to panic.

But there was some good stuff.
Demspey Save was possible the greatest save I've ever seen. his reflex to adjusts to make that save. we're Blessed to have him.
Dooley form is excellent.
When we had a shape to the team and went after the game. We destroyed a good Waterford team.
We were running the game for the 1st 17 mins.

But there was Bad as well.
The main one was that no leader step up when the game was going away from us.
Communication wasn't there at all.
Half back line melted into midfield. Midfield were never in the game. the half forward line didn't win anything, turnover or move the ball.
The Waterford sweeper clean up but that mean that offaly had a spare man and I have no idea who it was.
Brian Carroll at Centre forward in the 2nd half.
We ended the match with no Ball winner in the Forward line and we were driving in long ball in on top of Quirke. (it pop into my head that we need Ger Raffitty in there for that type of ball not Quirke).
We played two cross field balls in the whole match.
Currams need a full game at full forward in a 3 man full forward line and not to be misuse like he has been over the last few years.
No idea how to play as unit in defence ( but in fairness Murphy, King, Parlon and Wynne were start there 1st game of the year).

More convinced than ever that we have the hurlers to compete and beat anyone in the county.
We started with 4 new backs, two changes in the half forward line and a change in the full forward line from the last day and half way through the second we still could have won this game.

Whelehan interview after the match was good. over the few week his interviews have improve a lot.
His talk about teams playing a running game and our struggle to stop combat it.
The easy way to combat running game is to make sure you have a half back is the stopping line. you try to turn over the ball before that point but if they get there you hit them and you hit them hard. Make it so that them the player running at your half back once and when he get the ball the next time he look for who going to hit him and not where the pass is going. a huge hit for a half back can change a game.
But for that to work you need to have you half backs in the half back line.
As Cody said "You should never say you’re prepared to die to win. You should always be prepared to kill to win a game."

The thing about naming the team. There two ways of looking at it.
If you name the team early you given the opposition a chance to prepare for your team but the other side naming your team early your saying to the opposition that you have your team ready for the game.
But in fairness Offaly should release the team at least 24 hour before the game.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Laois beat Antrim , so is this good or bad news for us?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It means that an Offaly win in Torshavn would see Offaly safe. A draw would see Offaly safe too, provided Antrim don’t get anything from Waterford next week (and everyone knows there’s no chance of that).

An Antrim win over Offaly would see Offaly, Laois and Antrim level with a 1 and 4 record, once all three of next week’s three matches go to form, ie Limerick, Waterford and Wexford beat Offaly, Antrim and Laois respectively (though a Laois win over Wexford couldn’t be absolutely ruled out). In that case, scoring difference will come into play. Without looking at the updated tables, Laois already have a sizeable deficit from the visit to Waterford; Antrim don’t, but still have to go to Waterford, while Offaly’s visit to Limerick has the potential to get messy.

The situation will become clearer next week. And there is also potential for a scenario where a narrow defeat to Antrim would suffice for Offaly.
kingscounty wrote:Laois beat Antrim , so is this good or bad news for us?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

d currams is used completely differently by kk , they try and isolate him at full forward and leave him space to take on the full back by playing the half forward deep . as both wexford and waterford done against us, isolated their full forward line .
.The big difference between currams playing for kk and offaly is the quality of ball that k grogan and b leonard supply him . long accurate passes in to space in front of him to run onto .
e nolan s ryan c parlon d mooney c egan p camon p murphy s kinsella j mulrooney are not capable of putting that quality of ball into the forwards . d morkam r hanniffy were .
imagine they damage S dooley would do if he was in the kk full forward line with quality ball and they space the create inside .
tox is correct the only way to counter act a running game is to drop ur wing back deep cut out the channels to run into and tackle properly and have players that can score from distance,but u also need guys that can win their own ball around the engine room of the team .
sid seem to want runner but i think we need a few hardy men to get stuck in .

i honestly think ballyhale would destroy that offaly backline because we lack physical strength . apart from d shortt and e murphy the rest would not break eggs .
inter county hurling is a mans game ,they great offaly team of the 90s had hardy guys in defence , great hurlers but guys like m hanammy , k kinahan h rigney and k martain were not going to be bullied by anyone and if u ran at them u would be put on ur ass fair quickly .
i think sid has to change his game plan and try to create room in the full forward line but have wing forwards that can score from distance too and track back behind midfield

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

you can't compare county with club hurling, i think Currams should be full forward and stay in around the square, the thing that got on my wick was he didnt bother his arse going for the ball and just walk around the field for most of it, Kevin Grogan and Leonard do hurl well but theres a big differ from club and inter county hurling. Dan was talking about people and maybe forums running down the squad but by god he didn't show anything this year so far that he is giving 100 per cent, as greenairfield said maybe its time to forget about a few of them.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

So play me full forward or I cant play? Complete Bollocks!!! He went on the radio slating people for having an opinion. Look, I feel sorry for the players who train and put in the effort, plus the management. I am not owed anything by them. But they owe it to each other. I could name lads who threw in the towel yesterday, but out of respect to their amateur status etc , I won't.
But you Sam , you have blamed all bar Paisley for Daniel Currams display yesterday! Dan won't be happy, and he doesn't need you talking nonsense on his behalf. As POTH and Townman , ( who rarely agree!!) said, we didn't contest properly or want to contest the high ball or the puck outafter the 1st 15 mins.