Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Re: Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

Post by allstar2010 »

Massive win, congrats to all involved ye did yourselves proud. 2 penalty saves and S Dooley on fire! Great chance for a q/final spot now.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Brilliant to beat Leix in Marboro !!!!!

Well done everyone........

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Congrats to Brian Whelehan and Offaly on a great result tonight. I followed the game on MIdlands 103, a great display by everyone, now for Wexford.
I have to admit I thought it would be a home win,glad i'm wrong. Faithful for ever!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Come on the faithful in the car freezing , great fucking win . Fought for every ball and never gave up . Murphy was excellent , Dooley was on song . Great to see joe back , Kiely got stuck in when he came on . The whole team deserve this , I may be getting carried away but this is a great and badly needed win uibh Abu
Last edited by kingscounty on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Sounded like a very exciting game.

Congrats to all involved in this battling performance.

Funny, I broke a perfectly cut tile when re-entering the room to the roar of the crowd at the start of the second half.

Thought Laois had scored a goal, only to find out it was an Offaly goal!!

Thanks to those who made the journey and roared the team on too. It must have been worth it!!

Hope the team enjoys the win.

Let's proceed with plans for more!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just home great win happy for Sid hope this win will get the hounds off his back, as i said it would take something special from Dooley to win it and he did, Murphy, Kiely, great to see them getting a win, on their first taste of senior league they will be the better for it. roll on the yellow bellies :D

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well done team and management. A bit lucky but a hell of a lot good in the performance. Murphy was outstanding. Look at an league quarter final instead of down and there closer to where we should.
Can't stop smiling. :D
“Common sense is not so common.”

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

ye just back great win and team performance some great scores taken from both sides laois will feel hard done as they realy took the fight to offaly after the sending off two good penalty saves and dug deep to get the win up next wexford lets hope another win take some confidence from tonight and drive of

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

townman wrote:just home great win happy for Sid hope this win will get the hounds off his back, as i said it would take something special from Dooley to win it and he did, Murphy, Kiely, great to see them getting a win, on their first taste of senior league they will be the better for it. roll on the yellow bellies :D
Brian certainly sounded relieved after the game on Radio. He credited the boys on the good training they''ve been doing. Was great to hear!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Kevin wrote:
townman wrote:just home great win happy for Sid hope this win will get the hounds off his back, as i said it would take something special from Dooley to win it and he did, Murphy, Kiely, great to see them getting a win, on their first taste of senior league they will be the better for it. roll on the yellow bellies :D
Brian certainly sounded relieved after the game on Radio. He credited the boys on the good training they''ve been doing. Was great to hear!!
well he has took alot of stick in the last 14 months , but he has said and lets not forget, he has a squad in (who want to hurl for offaly) lets remember this when this or that is not on the team.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Sid seemed to be a lot more vocal on the line and at half time when Offaly came out he gathered 10 of the lads in midfield for a talk , good to see him get involved more . It was the first time in a long time that I seen the forwards tackle and put pressure on a back line . Dooley looks hungry and fitter than I've seen him in a long time , Quirke battled hard and was fouled a lot . Currams best position is full forward wing forward didn't suit him . For the first time in years I'm looking forward to next weekend against Wexford .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

also good to see Sean Cleary back tonight with Tommy and Brian Carroll to come back in the forward line is looking good and a battle for places for the rest of the league.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

A thing that stood out to me was when sid said that he has a group of hurlers that want to hurl for Offaly. Pity a few more dont want to hurl for the county. We lost a lot of quality players over the last 14 months.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

well done to all involved , presure is off now and the have something to build on .huge huge win,
dooley has found the form of 3 or 4 years ago .
sid can work on developing this team now whereas last year it was a battle to survive from day one .
credit where it due well done sid

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’ll get this underway then get out before the thread is commandeered by the Kilcormacologists.

I’d never generally say this about a League match but Saturday’s is probably the most important match Offaly will hurl this year. The need to make a statement against a Laois team who are improving with each year and are seemingly on the cusp of taking a major scalp.

That Offaly apparently stood and watched Galway run rings around them in the recent Walsh Cup match was a massive disappointment. But now Offaly can turn that to their advantage. There can be no more standing on ceremony, no waiting for the ball to come, no more waiting for the opponent to turn over possession unforced.

While the old way of Offaly hurling is outdated and obsolete, I believe one aspect of the old Offaly way is still relevant – the ability to quickly recover from an abject performance and hurl well the next day. Item: Antrim in Ballycastle last June when Offaly could have thrown in the towel but clung on and were in position to grab their fortunate break when it came.

The pressure is on Laois on Saturday night, and while it’s not a match they absolutely have to win, it’s not that far off either. There will be local expectation, hyped up by their local radio correspondent, they are hurling at home, they fancy their chances, they beat Offaly away last year, they should have beaten Galway last year, they beat Wexford in the Walsh Cup etc. etc. A win over Offaly is the next logical step in their progression.

There is another factor though – this is the first time in a while that Laois fill the role of the hunted going into a match, instead of the hunter. It’s a role they haven’t coped well with – losing to Antrim at home in Portlaoise in the Leinster Championship, losing badly to Dublin in this year's Walsh Cup, losing narrowly to Offaly in the 2013 U21. Not something that develops naturally as the team’s life cycle evolves either – 35 years since their major breakthrough Offaly have yet to master the role of the hunted.

And though against the run of play, Offaly scored two second-half goals to narrow the gap last year and might have created more goal chances late on but for some momentum-halting Laois fouling that would have warranted a black card in a football match. And respectable performances followed against Cork and Limerick. Interviewed on Radio3 last Sunday, Stephen Quirke pointed out that Offaly’s strength and conditioning programme had gone well.

There’s still alot of pride left in Offaly hurling. Management and players can prove this on Saturday night by taking the game to Laois. It really is that important. An early hook of block will epitomise the spirit and they can’t let Laois off to a start. Because Laois still fear Offaly, and Offaly still spook Laois.

Offaly to win, if the spirit is right. For now, I’m backing Sid.

your spot on Offaly still spook laois :wink: