Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

Post by Buttons »

Great win for the lads, build with confidence, the better a team goes the better the training the more desire they put into the jersey and get these crowds back, lets not forget that come the 7th of June we may be playing Laois again if they top the round robin.

For those who attended the game did Dan Currams and Paddy Murphy swap position or where did these two guys play?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

10.Dan Currams
11.Shane Kinsella
12.Paddy Murphy
13.Shane Dooley
14.Joe Bergin
15.Stephen Quirke

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Murphy wearing number 14 lined out at right half forward the number 10 position. Dan wearing 12 lined out at left half forward.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

I just want to thank all the lads for last night and well done to all. Delighted for Sid too. He didn't apply for the job in the first place and I am sure last year hurt him as much as anyone.
I think the key point is that none of us really knows why certain lads won't commit to the panel but one thing that needs to stop is the shite about lads who won't go in despite being asked. If they can't or won't commit, then move on.
Sid nailed it in the post match interview, "these are the lads that want to hurl for Offaly".

However, Brian has a bit to go with some guys who are not part of the panel and especially to understand why some have walked away and what can be prevented.

Back to the game, huge win and great to see Murphy and Kinsella do so well. Great for the confidence of the players, and will make a great boost for training during the week. Probably most important game and sets up the group for a decent run in the league.

Jayz lads, wouldn't it be savage to bate Wexford in Tullamore! !

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn’t surprised by last night’s Offaly performance. Offaly still retain the capacity to climb off the floor and follow up an abject performance with a tour de force. The opposite is still the ase too, but that’s for another day. I’m glad too that Offaly retain a ‘cuteness’, which they did with the dummy team and Joseph Bergin. For a few years Offaly have been seen as being a bit ‘slow’ in this regard. And there was always a big mouth on this forum and elsewhere who was only too quick to spill the beans. Thankfully that didn’t happen. The newspaper feature during the week was perfectly timed and executed, and Laois even reproduced Joseph’s quotes in the match programme.

I happened to arrive early to OMP and I was buying tay and a sandwich at the tay shop, a Laois man outside the counter asked his friend inside “they should win this, shouldn’t they?” and the shop assistant replied “they should win it, yes”. I thought – brilliant! The first shot in what went on to be a night to be proud.

Offaly were everything you wanted them to be. They were spirited, organised, they hurled with intelligence. Even down to the trio who underwent an organised warm-up on the pitch during half-time. James Dempsey appears to have adjusted the trajectory of his puckouts which gave the receiver every chance. Emmet Nolan is a prospect. Facing forward, Colin Egan is an astute playmaker. Offaly could have had three or four goals during the first half. And Offaly employed the ‘Kilkenny’ method of contesting ruck situations. Paddy Murphy announced his arrival with several fetches. Shane Dooley is in form. And it’s great to see Offaly win a high scoring shootout like that.

Yes, there were rough edges, but the first touch will improve. Some ‘overlap’ situations were botched. But Joseph Bergin will get sharper too and there are signs the Bergin / Dooley combination will be back in business. I think a full-forward line with Quirke on the right, Dooley at full and Bergin on the left would be optimium. And I thought the management might have sent for their second, third and fourth subs sooner.

Hard to know about Laois. The precision of their movement and the way they make their passing stick is lovely to watch. They generally concede alot though, and when a team does that they need to create, and take, goal chances. Laois don’t do that.

As I type, I note Wexford have beaten Antrim by a single point. Probably for the best – an Antrim win would have left things massively at the bottom of the division.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I wasn’t surprised by last night’s Offaly performance. Offaly still retain the capacity to climb off the floor and follow up an abject performance with a tour de force. The opposite is still the ase too, but that’s for another day. I’m glad too that Offaly retain a ‘cuteness’, which they did with the dummy team and Joseph Bergin. For a few years Offaly have been seen as being a bit ‘slow’ in this regard. And there was always a big mouth on this forum and elsewhere who was only too quick to spill the beans. Thankfully that didn’t happen. The newspaper feature during the week was perfectly timed and executed, and Laois even reproduced Joseph’s quotes in the match programme.

I happened to arrive early to OMP and I was buying tay and a sandwich at the tay shop, a Laois man outside the counter asked his friend inside “they should win this, shouldn’t they?” and the shop assistant replied “they should win it, yes”. I thought – brilliant! The first shot in what went on to be a night to be proud.

Offaly were everything you wanted them to be. They were spirited, organised, they hurled with intelligence. Even down to the trio who underwent an organised warm-up on the pitch during half-time. James Dempsey appears to have adjusted the trajectory of his puckouts which gave the receiver every chance. Emmet Nolan is a prospect. Facing forward, Colin Egan is an astute playmaker. Offaly could have had three or four goals during the first half. And Offaly employed the ‘Kilkenny’ method of contesting ruck situations. Paddy Murphy announced his arrival with several fetches. Shane Dooley is in form. And it’s great to see Offaly win a high scoring shootout like that.

Yes, there were rough edges, but the first touch will improve. Some ‘overlap’ situations were botched. But Joseph Bergin will get sharper too and there are signs the Bergin / Dooley combination will be back in business. I think a full-forward line with Quirke on the right, Dooley at full and Bergin on the left would be optimium. And I thought the management might have sent for their second, third and fourth subs sooner.

Hard to know about Laois. The precision of their movement and the way they make their passing stick is lovely to watch. They generally concede alot though, and when a team does that they need to create, and take, goal chances. Laois don’t do that.

As I type, I note Wexford have beaten Antrim by a single point. Probably for the best – an Antrim win would have left things massively at the bottom of the division.
I rather be thinking of what's happening at top end of the table than to be worrying about the bottom , but your right we have to travel to Antrim which won't be easy so hopefully we can get a win Sunday to push us up where we badly need to be. Looking at the game last night I thought maybe we could have taken Mooney off quicker as he was on a yellow and very close to getting the red but I think he's much better than Parlon in this position . What do we do for the next day , line out the same way which Wexford might have been watching last night or change things around slightly to confuse the opposition ? Or leave a winning team as is

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Two Paddy Murphys lined out for Offaly against Laois, if The Irish Times is to be believed.
OFFALY: J Dempsey; P Camon, D Shortt, S Egan; E Nolan, C Egan, D Mooney; J Bergin (0-2), S Ryan (0-2); P Murphy (0-2), S Kinsella (0-3), D Currams; S Dooley (1-14), P Murphy, S Quirke.
Subs: C Kiely (0-1) for D Mooney (56 mins).
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Wouldn't it be great to have two Paddy Murphys

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Intresting reading today.
A good win last night.

lets look at the game the way i always look at a game and start with the good.
There was lots of good Saturday. (there a lot of good)

Demspey made some outstanding saves.
The full back line 2 corner backs and a full back.
The full forward line 2 Corner forwards and a full forwards.
8 players stated in there best position.
Joe Bergin at full forward.
No sweeper(thank god)
The style of play a lot more direct than we play in the last 18 months. the amount of score coming for ball been delevered fast and early.
Shane Dooley in full flow.
Shortt organizing his defence was excellent.
Overall fight and workrate was fine.
Murphy in the half forward was outstanding.
Kinsella hard work the half forward line.
Egan save from the penalty.
Camon did a lot of hard work.
1-24 is a good scoreline.
top of the league.

The(not much) bad
we were 6 points up and let Laois back into the game.
we moved Shortt to the extra man and lost his phyicall present at the edge of the square al Shortt stop orginizing the defence after the sending off. We need him under the dropping ball.
when in a winning positon we tried to control the game and instead of pushing home the advanage.
That about it.

Lets hope this style and performance is what we see this year.

On a side note.
Some on here think at a 4 point win over Laois is great reward of the rubbish we seen from Offaly hurling over the 18 months.
There is no excuse for some of the shit we seen over the last year.
There was no excuse for Laois beating us last year. We name the a stupid team, The management had no respect for Laois and play a brand of hurling that didn't suit our players.
Playing players out position.
Playing players that are injured.
The misuse of a sweeper.
Question players that have been committed to Offaly hurling for years without a problem.
This management team has had 14 Walsh, league and championship games to get one good performance.
The idea that a 4 point win over laois wipes out the performance we seen from Offaly over the last year are just wrong.

Some on here call this team the weakest they every seen name by Offaly.
Some on here use to talk about how Offaly need to play modern hurling whatever the hell that is. I asked a number of time but they could answer.
Some on here use to say that Offaly Club not winning lenister title was a showing up that club were production players when Club start winning title sure it was only club hurling.
Some on here said that Shortt wasn't good enough to be playing full back for Offaly after the Galway game.
Some on here have been saying that last year performance were Whelehan fault it was the player were good enough.
Some on here are saying that Laois, Carlow and Westmeath are production better player than Offaly.

Some want to take the Piss out of Kilcormac Killoughey the day the club is burying there Club President Jim Leonard.(may he rest in peace)
It just show what these people are. They should be ashamed of themselves.
“Common sense is not so common.”

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

"You should never say you’re prepared to die to win. You should always be prepared to kill to win a game."

As a matter of interest, who came up with this "momentous" piece of literary genius Tox?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Good to win. Leix may reflect on this as an opportunity lost to try and assert their status. Losses like this are momentum breakers for counties trying to make a breakthrough.

Brian Whelahan needed this because after the Galway game their appeared to be a gap between where he perceived his team should be and what they were actually delivering. Shane Dooley is also showing the benefits of an injury-free run.

As it has been for the last 30 years, Offaly's next performance very often bears no relation to the last. It could be Keystone Cops, slapstick hurling worthy of Benny Hill soundtrack the next day out. But for now, it's the start Offaly needed for the league.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ ... a-disgrace

Agree fully with this.
People need to stand back and say from what base the current squad have come from through schools, clubs, development squads and minor/ u21 past teams. They are doing their best, sacrificing a lot and pushing themselves physically to represent their county, with the odds stacked heavily against them. Realistically, a Leinster final appearance/ win within the next few years would be the pinnacle of their capabilities given their position in the hurling food chain, but make no mistake, they want to improve on that, they are trying to improve on that, and the least they deserve is a bit of credit and support- remember they are looking after the jersey until the next young man who will give the same commitment comes along to take it over.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Listened to this soundcloud from Midlands 103 and have to say i was impressed by Currams honesty.

He isnt asking for much, a bit of support is all they are looking for. Some of the baseless, derogatory and frankly quite inane comments on this forum of late have been below the belt.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully) for this Offaly hurling team. And if they dont get there well then lets keep it about hurling and not much else.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

A very honest interview from Dan reflects an honest hard working preformance from all the team on saturday night .
lets start talking up offaly hurling.
Dan is a really top guy ,a quite leader.
Great to hear b whelahan say that offaly have good hurlers . he sounds positive and hopefully things will run well for him and offaly now .
hopefully guy stay injury free and hopefully D Kenny might get back to full fitness before too long .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

substandard wrote:https://m.soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ ... a-disgrace

Agree fully with this.
People need to stand back and say from what base the current squad have come from through schools, clubs, development squads and minor/ u21 past teams. They are doing their best, sacrificing a lot and pushing themselves physically to represent their county, with the odds stacked heavily against them. Realistically, a Leinster final appearance/ win within the next few years would be the pinnacle of their capabilities given their position in the hurling food chain, but make no mistake, they want to improve on that, they are trying to improve on that, and the least they deserve is a bit of credit and support- remember they are looking after the jersey until the next young man who will give the same commitment comes along to take it over.

I'm going to deal with this first, and then come back to the match in a separate post, since they are distinct issues.

I agree with Currams here in the same way that if someone makes an impassioned speech about how those involved in a life of crime would be better served by coming back to the community and doing volunteer work, we'd all be better off. It's not really a disputed position. Similarly anyone who has any interest or involvement in the GAA knows that the sacrifices involved in playing at intercounty level are immense. As supporters, we thank those that are willing to do it and I for one certainly don't blame anyone who isn't in a position to and so walks away. Not everyone can essentially make a sport the primary focus in their lives, and that's what it takes nowadays.

However I can't agree with the idea which he hasn't stated explicitly but has still implied, which is that criticism of Offaly players is widespread and excessive, either on this forum or in general. Now maybe Dan is hearing things that I'm not, and that's entirely possible since I don't live inside Offaly any more, but on this forum or indeed in general, I haven't read much if any criticism of the players that are in the squad. In fact I think the almost universally held view is that they are blameless in this situation, and that they are doing their best.

Yes there has been criticism of the management, but by any metric, and I'd argue that BW himself would agree with this, some criticism has been earned. Ollie Baker wasn't celebrated as a modern day guru or anything like that, but since he left there was a marked decline in the county's fortunes. There were a couple of bad results where Offaly were filleted tactically (Laois 2014 being the perfect example - and I'm not attributing the blame, I'm just saying it happened) and outside of this, there were incidents of indiscipline that led to some players being cut off the panel, while many more walked away or refused to be part of it. No county has declined more than Offaly in the last twelve months in terms of our overall standing, (let's not forget that we were nine point favourites against Laois in 2014 and two point underdogs on Saturday) and it's daft to expect that supporters would not express their frustration at that.

Now nobody is questioning Brian's legacy as a player - in the eyes of the vast majority of people, yours truly included, he'll be remembered as the greatest we ever were blessed with. However his management hasn't been a success so far and it's not unfair to say this, or to question certain things that were done. Nobody has said he's not trying, nobody has said that his heart isn't in it, but just that results are very poor and either those results are a reflection of the level of ability in the county (and very few of us believe this) or they aren't, and so there has to be a reason.

Moreover, Dan Currams in the piece speaks about things that are "said about players" not just management. Now I genuinely don't agree that the Offaly hurlers (or footballers for that matter) get that much of a rough ride on here, or in any online forum. I've heard far worse on the terrace and in the stand than I've read on here. Admittedly there are posters on here that I have great time for, and there are posters that I don't really rate their opinion too highly. However as a general rule, lads crossing the line when it comes to criticism of players get pulled up on it very quickly, far more than they do in the pub of a Friday night, and that's as it should be. Certainly the only criticism I read is about their hurling, not about their personal lives - and again, that's sticking by the rules in my book.

I would also say to players in general who are logged on and reading this post, that this forum is no different to any walk of life, in that you'll have eejitry and most people can see that. Just the same as I'll sit down and read a piece by Enda McEvoy or Dónal Óg Cusack with great interest and expecting to learn something because I respect the source, and I won't even bother reading Martin Breheny because it'll be a rehash of something he wrote five years ago that made no sense then either. Only you can decide what opinions to take on board as being well thought out and considered, and if you don't perceive them as such, you're probably right so pass no remarks.

However I'm sure Dan would be glad to realise that I would never judge Kilcormac-Killoughey as a club by some of the contributors here that think we should have just walked into their dressing room the day of the Ballyhale game and handed them the 15 Offaly jerseys and let them at it, so neither should players judge online forums by the one or two comments that are either outrageous, daft or both. No entity can be held responsible for everyone who associates themselves, either online or in the GAA.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm an Offaly supporter first and foremost, as well as being in the happy position of being a local writer, and I wholeheartedly appreciate everything that the players and the management do for the cause. I know exactly the level of commitment required and it is truly immense, and I also know that putting in the hours doesn't always result in victories on the field either since the other teams are doing exactly the same thing. Rest assured that whether you win or lose, you have my respect for putting yourself out there and doing your utmost for the county we all love so much.

And if the day comes when I say that Player X had a bad day on Sunday afternoon and that he struggled under the high ball, or that we might have been better off making a few more substitutions earlier, or that we lost the tactical/physical/mental battle, then that doesn't mean that what I've said in the previous paragraph ceases to apply. I write for a living and I've churned out more than a few very poorly written pieces, while I also set odds and consult betting firms and I've made a few very bad calls there too. And just because people take great joy in calling me on it when the bookie gets it wrong, that doesn't mean I interpret their comments as "abuse" or "slander". It just comes with the territory, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks again, f*** the begrudgers, but don't let one or two morons lead you to believe that the vast majority of people, online or otherwise, are anything other than thankful.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.