Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’ll get this underway then get out before the thread is commandeered by the Kilcormacologists.

I’d never generally say this about a League match but Saturday’s is probably the most important match Offaly will hurl this year. The need to make a statement against a Laois team who are improving with each year and are seemingly on the cusp of taking a major scalp.

That Offaly apparently stood and watched Galway run rings around them in the recent Walsh Cup match was a massive disappointment. But now Offaly can turn that to their advantage. There can be no more standing on ceremony, no waiting for the ball to come, no more waiting for the opponent to turn over possession unforced.

While the old way of Offaly hurling is outdated and obsolete, I believe one aspect of the old Offaly way is still relevant – the ability to quickly recover from an abject performance and hurl well the next day. Item: Antrim in Ballycastle last June when Offaly could have thrown in the towel but clung on and were in position to grab their fortunate break when it came.

The pressure is on Laois on Saturday night, and while it’s not a match they absolutely have to win, it’s not that far off either. There will be local expectation, hyped up by their local radio correspondent, they are hurling at home, they fancy their chances, they beat Offaly away last year, they should have beaten Galway last year, they beat Wexford in the Walsh Cup etc. etc. A win over Offaly is the next logical step in their progression.

There is another factor though – this is the first time in a while that Laois fill the role of the hunted going into a match, instead of the hunter. It’s a role they haven’t coped well with – losing to Antrim at home in Portlaoise in the Leinster Championship, losing badly to Dublin in this year's Walsh Cup, losing narrowly to Offaly in the 2013 U21. Not something that develops naturally as the team’s life cycle evolves either – 35 years since their major breakthrough Offaly have yet to master the role of the hunted.

And though against the run of play, Offaly scored two second-half goals to narrow the gap last year and might have created more goal chances late on but for some momentum-halting Laois fouling that would have warranted a black card in a football match. And respectable performances followed against Cork and Limerick. Interviewed on Radio3 last Sunday, Stephen Quirke pointed out that Offaly’s strength and conditioning programme had gone well.

There’s still alot of pride left in Offaly hurling. Management and players can prove this on Saturday night by taking the game to Laois. It really is that important. An early hook of block will epitomise the spirit and they can’t let Laois off to a start. Because Laois still fear Offaly, and Offaly still spook Laois.

Offaly to win, if the spirit is right. For now, I’m backing Sid.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Re: Leix v Offaly, NHL, Saturday February 14th 2015

Post by TheGreatGame »

Excellent piece PotH. As a Laois man myself you have nailed a lot of my fears going into this match. In the last month alone Laois have showed what they are capable of, both the good and the bad. They comfortably beat a Wexford side that hurled fairly well themselves on the day, but then had a real stinker against Dublin. There is no doubt that as a team Laois can get caught in the headlights when that bit of expectation is there, and at 4/7 favourites that expectation certainly is there on Friday.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

Big game for both teams , whoever losses will be under presure going into every game .
it will be intresting to see who plays at centre back and centre forward for offaly.
laois seem more settled .last year laois were much more prepaired that offaly yet offaly were within striking distance at the end .
on form laois should win but maybe its my heart ruling my head i think offaly might sneek it.
it would be great for young lads like e nolan n wynne d shortt c kiely s quirke p camon etc

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Any word on the starting team??
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

with Carroll and Bergin out i'd say it will be along the lines of the team that hurl Galway in the Walsh cup don't know if Sean Cleary is back yet either, on form the last two years and teams you would have to fancy laois with it been in portlaoise and under lights , but been big underdogs going into this will suite offaly and if there is anything in them it will come out in this derby on saturaday night. if it is defeat then we are facing a battle to stay up as we have to travel to Antrim maybe we can do what they done last year throw the league game and beat them in the play off.

it will be hard to beat wexford and waterford at home if we lose on saturaday night and Limerick away won't be nice viewing but the head says leix heart says offaly by 3.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Any rumour in Aaron Whelahan starting in goals ahead of James Dempsey???

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Killeighman wrote:Any rumour in Aaron Whelahan starting in goals ahead of James Dempsey???

Apparently he has been showing great form in training.......

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

any news on the team .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Killeighman wrote:Any rumour in Aaron Whelahan starting in goals ahead of James Dempsey???
will be war here if Conor Slevin is over looked for the goals :roll:

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

sam88885a wrote:any news on the team .
Conor slevin
Con Mahon
Ger Healion
Alan McC
B Leonard
P Healion
K Grogan
D Kilmartin
K Leonard
C Slevin
C Mahon
C Kiely
J Gorman
D Currams
T Geraghty

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

we lucky we have a number of good keepers in j demsey c clancy k oconnor and c slevin . i wonder is it because we are short on good defenders and that our keepers get tested often .

alstar2010
im surprised to see p geraghty didnt make ur team and that k grogan and b leonard are on the wrong wings

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

1. J Dempsey
2. P Camon
3. D Shortt
4. S Egan
5. E Nolan
6. C Egan
7. D Mooney
8. S Wynne
9. S Ryan
10. T Carroll
11. S Kinsella
12. D Currams
13. S Dooley
14. P Murphy
15. S Quirke

hurleyman
Junior B

Post by hurleyman »

Hi lads I hear Tom Carroll and Shane Kinsella are injured. Ye all know Cathel Pardon broke his hand

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

ditchhurler wrote:1. J Dempsey
2. P Camon
3. D Shortt
4. S Egan
5. E Nolan
6. C Egan
7. D Mooney
8. S Wynne
9. S Ryan
10. T Carroll
11. S Kinsella
12. D Currams
13. S Dooley
14. P Murphy
15. S Quirke

this is the team that is picked god help us Murphy and Mooney come into the team from the one that was hammer by Galway, problems at number 3,6,8,9, 11, 14, its going to be along evening .
look lads don't go out to lose but by god Whelehan and his backroom team must want to Wynne Ryan midfield doesn't and never will work, its unfair on Wynne been picked out of poistion and Sean Ryan also is not a midfielder how many years has this been proved.

it will take something special from Dooley and Quirke if we are to pull this off, not for the life of me can i see that forward 6 scoring 2-18 or 1-20 that we will need to win this match, as for the other end fullback and centreback will be vital i don't think the men with the number 3 and 6 are the answer, anyway best of luck to them . i still think Cillian Kiely will start .
Last edited by townman on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

ditchhurler wrote:1. J Dempsey
2. P Camon
3. D Shortt
4. S Egan
5. E Nolan
6. C Egan
7. D Mooney
8. S Wynne
9. S Ryan
10. T Carroll
11. S Kinsella
12. D Currams
13. S Dooley
14. P Murphy
15. S Quirke
No Coolderry player when is the last time that happen??
Look like we learned nothing from the Galway but lets hope we get a results on Saturday night.
“Common sense is not so common.”