Offaly v Waterford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Offaly v Waterford

Post by Kevin »

Can anyone point me in the direction of the Offaly lineout?

Waterford will show up in a positive mood. Hopefully we can change that.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... ?ID=231446
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Killeighman
All Star

Re: Offaly v Waterford

Post by Killeighman »

Same team as last weekend

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thx!

And COME ON OFFALY!!!!!

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

the blahs will be promoted to div 3 id reckon

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I agree

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly 0-13 Waterford 1-04 , great win well done Pat and the lads , keep her lit.

Don Hurley
Junior A

Post by Don Hurley »

I suppose a win is a win, but that was hard to watch. Waterford were down to 14 men after about 15 minutes yet the advantage only began to be obvious when McNamee came on. The build up was laboured and not very confident and the forwards, McNamee apart, had a lot of trouble getting possession and finding space. Midfield was out-fielded all the game and this is an -on-going weakness. Positives? The goal was soft but the FB line seemed in control. Young Hogan did well and Moloney can be frustrating but he has what it takes. Padraig Sullivan was covering acres and worked like a demon - overall a very good contribution. Nigel Dunne took a few good scores but you wonder about his mobility. Nice point by Mulhall before his black card.

Was it just me or did that yellow ball seem very heavy or perhaps a bit soft? The Waterford free taker had at least 5 shots that dropped short from well inside the 45 and a lot of the attempts at long kicks seemed to end up short.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

key win by offaly all the same i wud have thought

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Why did Offaly Players receive Black Cards. Were they deserved. Were they the result of careless behaviour or an over zealous ref.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good win again top of the table well done to Pat and his team, they beat a fancy waterford team well today, 3 weeks i think till wicklow a bit of revenge here after last years championship defeat, good to see Niall Mac back and scoring away better side with him in the first 15.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I was delighted with the win.

Now there are faults but the effort was great.

Their class midfielder/freetaker getting sent was a help as they missed 5 or 6 frees. He had hit one & missed one. He was booked in the first minute & was off after 19 minutes (noy 10 !!!).

I have to admit, I did not actually see what happened with their 6 but he did get a belt and we were probably lucky the ref did not even the numbers.. So discipline is a must and thankfully the lads kept theirs.

The first black card was on the far side and looked a bit harsh, just pushing a player over the sideline ( or can someone who was over there correct me ?).

The second Black was straightforward, Anton had run out of steam and justed hauled down a lad, nothing dirty or cynister but the rule is clear !! He will need the training in the 3 weeks break to be in the frame for a start as he was only on about 15 mins but did work hard.

Niall was just class while he was on but probably needs time as well. I would not be sure he would start the next day but I bloody hope he is ready !!!!

Got there a bit early & paid my Club Faithfull membership & even bought a wooly hat & enjoyed the cuppa & a chat after !!!!

2 wins is a good start & hopefully things progress,,,,,

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In one sense, Offaly can count their blessings in this one for me. Shane Aherne's red card was absolutely pivotal in this game as in the last quarter, Waterford were visibly out on their feet and it made life a lot easier for Offaly in terms of running through them. Now admittedly that was also a result of Offaly's high workrate and tackle count up to that point, since they had drained a lot of the energy from their opponents, but this was still a game where an extra man was utterly vital.

As for the sending off itself, the first yellow was on the far side of the field which was very difficult to make out on account of the fog, but I was doing interviews after the game and Tom McGlinchey was livid with it, said that there was nothing to it at all. The second yellow was on the stand side and it was fairly harmless to say the least of it. Only once in three times would a referee give a card for that, and maybe one in ten if that card was going to lead to a sending off.

All that said, we've now conceded eight scores in two games and the players are beginning to show signs of regaining their confidence and self-belief, which is no small thing after the shocking year that they endured in 2014. More importantly, they worked well together and appeared to be much more adept at support play going forward and indeed going backwards. The sight of watching two or three Offaly players feebly attempt to dispossess an opponent only for the ball to be laid off to a free man in acres of room was all too common last year, but not this time. There was intent and strength in the tackling, and that made a big difference.

Also, if we were going to get a lucky break like this one, that was a great game in which to get it. Waterford are a very decent side and they will be in the hunt for promotion. They'll take points off other good teams and what's more, the head to head win could yet be significant. It's a pity that Wicklow dug a win out after being nine points down against Leitrim since they could have been on the floor by the time we go to Aughrim in three weeks, but we're still in a nice position now of having three home games to come. Win those, plus take a point out of one of the two away games against Wicklow and Longford, and a top two place will be secured.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

We've got a long way to go needless to say as we are attempting to fight our way out of the cellar division.

A few encouraging items so far include:

1. Full points from the first 2 games.
2. Stingy defending (more tests will come).
3. We are doing well in the 2nd half of games for the most part (certainly in the league so far).
4. Can't be certain, but I'd hope there is a small bit of quiet confidence growing in the camp.

I like how Pat brushed off this Donegal foolishness, but in the next breath mentioned how the team can do things better going forward. Heading into the break, the message is We are who we are, but we are still working out the kinks.

He is quoted as saying, "To be totally honest, I was a little bit disappointed we’re still not playing to the level that we’re training at."

That's a shrewd statement to make. Something there for players, supporters and opponents to chew on.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/20 ... faly-reax/

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Pat Flanagan: Offaly not the new Donegal
Who went and asked that question :)? We get two wins and all of a sudden we are Donegal.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

I searched for that.

Some troublemaker for sure.