U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
luigi
Junior C
Club: gar gaa

Re: U21 FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2015

Post by luigi »

Ferbane going alone too , dont think any birr players play

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

If clubs are capable of fielding their own team, even if their chances of success are negligible, then of course that's what should happen. I abhor the idea of clubs not making an effort to find fifteen of their own for a championship at this level, however there are plenty of clubs that simply aren't able to manage it, and how is the good of football in the county served by the under-21s of Gracefield not getting a game? Maybe their concession against St Manchans was for other reasons, but if it was that the couldn't muster up a team, then surely we'd have been better off putting them in with Broughans (for example) and giving a handful of decent young footballers a chance to play in this.

On that note, anyone know what happened between Broughans and Vincents last night?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Lone Shark wrote:If clubs are capable of fielding their own team, even if their chances of success are negligible, then of course that's what should happen. I abhor the idea of clubs not making an effort to find fifteen of their own for a championship at this level, however there are plenty of clubs that simply aren't able to manage it, and how is the good of football in the county served by the under-21s of Gracefield not getting a game? Maybe their concession against St Manchans was for other reasons, but if it was that the couldn't muster up a team, then surely we'd have been better off putting them in with Broughans (for example) and giving a handful of decent young footballers a chance to play in this.

On that note, anyone know what happened between Broughans and Vincents last night?
Gracefield actually joined up with Broughans in 2013 for the U21 championship. As far as i know they only had 2 lads starting and a few subs and they didnt meet the broughans panel till the day of the match - could be wrong so open to correction. Vincents won last night 2-10 2-8. Poor match in terrible conditions. Vincents helped by a lucky goal before half time and then getting a killer goal in second half when broughans brought the game back to one point. Broughans got a goal near the end but Vincents were the better team overall. If broughans had Cunningham it would be a different as he would of been worth 5 points at least. Think the winner of Edenderry and Na Fianna will win it out. Ridiculous having it this time of the year anyway.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Na Fianna great win against St.Patricks, 10 or 11 points in it at the end. Very good brand of football from Na Fianna , movement and scores up front were top class , a little bit suspect in the back line conceding 3 soft goals but over all far the better team.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Wheery were beaten by St manchans after extra time by 5 points or so. According to ferbane twitter account.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Na Fianna great win against St.Patricks, 10 or 11 points in it at the end. Very good brand of football from Na Fianna , movement and scores up front were top class , a little bit suspect in the back line conceding 3 soft goals but over all far the better team.
Good result for Na Fianna, they seem to have a good team there. Any word on the semi final pairings?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Kingscounty
I was not at the Na Fianna game yesterday. How impressive were they? They put up a great score. Have they got the winning material?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:Kingscounty
I was not at the Na Fianna game yesterday. How impressive were they? They put up a great score. Have they got the winning material?
I'd be surprised if they don't win the championship . Midfield were on top from the start , half forward line were very good and full forward won great dirty ball and got some sweet points , don't know there names as there wasn't a programme . The only worry I would have as I said was that they were winning this game well and playing all the football and yet there was only 2 points in it at one stage . Edenderry only scored 3-3 but the 3 goals were soft and that's the only worry , if they tighten up in the back line they will be hard bet.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I believe the 3 Edenderry goals were before half time. Did they have any goal chances in the second half?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Killeighman wrote:I believe the 3 Edenderry goals were before half time. Did they have any goal chances in the second half?
None that springs to mind , Edenderry would have had 3 or 4 players that played in the senior final against Rhode, McDonald lad at full forward, Moriarty corner forward , Mahon lad half back , Lawton midfield so one would have thought that they would have been a stronger test . There must be good work been done at underage with Na Fianna , this group played well together , no arguing or moaning they just got out and played an attacking game from the start .

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

They are a good group of lads that keep the head down and work hard for each other

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Semi final draw
Tullamore óg V Na Fianna
St Vincents V St Manchans

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

Na fianna will be favs but it's not a bad tullamore team either with the 2 durrow Boys on it. These 2 were very close 3 yrs ago at minor level so can't imagine there will be much in it. The second one is harder to call as manchans pulled of a surprise win vs ferbane. They must be strong enough and vincents just got over the line vs broughans.

The matches could go either way. Any word on when they semis are fixed for.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I presume it would be fixed for the weekend of the 14/15 of Feb

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

12/2/2015
Tullamore vs Na Fianna - Croghan 8pm
13/2/2015