2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by sam88885a »

poth
kk must be going something right ,they have won 3 of the last 4 minors , 3 senior in a row . a lenster club title and generally represented offaly very well outside offaly .
their underage team are very strong so i think people should praise them rather than SNEER at them POTH

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Under the new Kilcormacology programme, all Offaly's home matches should be played in Kilcormac. That would put an end to the Birr v Tellamore debate, once and for all. After all, over 50% of the team will be from Kilcormac.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Nobody's sneering at Kilcormac-Killoughey at all. However it is entirely possible to have immense respect for the club and for their achievements over the past three years while still at the same time retaining a little bit of skepticism regarding the view that transplanting half the team into the county side would suddenly be a panacea for all ills. I think it's that attitude that's being mocked, not the club itself or the players therein.

Just to illustrate the silliness of this argument, here are five of the 2013 county champions in the main hurling counties:

Clara (KK)
Midleton (Cork)
Loughmore-Castleiney (Tipp)
Sixmilebridge (Clare)
Passage (Waterford)

Out of those five clubs, I'd say they did well to provide six county starters between them when it came round to the intercounty championship last summer, and none of them provided more than two if I'm not mistaken. I'd say when you count the number of players from Gort, Shelmaliers and Kilmacud in 2015, you'll get similar numbers also.

The county game is a different environment and while I would fall into the camp of preferring a player with good club form where possible, it's not the be-all and end-all by any means.

sam88885a wrote: lone shark do u honestly think that the 15 plus top club hurlers that wont hurl under B whelahan are doing so because their afraid of the step up or dont want to test themselves against the best .
Clearly there is a problem there but sadly p boland and yourself along with others are in awe of B Whelahan and continue to make excuses for him .
offaly wont win an all ireland with the current crop of players but if we had everyone involved and a decent manager we could be hard beat at least .
jimbob good post all ur question need to be answered before offaly can talk about 5 year plans .
we certainly are losing good player and i think its clear why
As for why there are so many players who won't play for Brian Whelahan, I'm certainly not going to presume their reasons and I certainly don't agree that it's "clear" why it's happening. If players come out and express their views I'll certainly believe them, but in the absence of any clear knowledge as to what's going on in the personal lives of fellas that in many cases I've never even met, I'm certainly not going to be so arrogant as to think that I know their mindset.

I'm absolutely not sold on Brian Whelahan's management to say the least of it, and it's a matter of record that Offaly have regressed hugely under his tenure. Players walking away is a worrying trend, however just the same as managing Offaly wasn't an appealing job when it became available eighteen months ago, playing for Offaly isn't appealing now either. More importantly, and I'm not accusing any individual of this, but if there is a perception of bias there among players from certain areas, well then maybe that's a self-fulfilling prophecy? If a player walks into a dressing room with the thought in his head that he's a second class citizen here and that it doesn't matter what he does on the field, of course that's going to come through in his attitude at training and in matches. Now obviously it then falls to the manager to address that - but still without resorting to appeasement. And if it's the case that you've a guy in your panel who has a sense of entitlement, then quite often the best thing you can do is get rid of him before that mentality spreads.

Again I stress that I have no idea what certain people are thinking, or no evidence to believe that they were thinking like that. However if I take the argument postulated here at face value - that players from one club in particular feel that they're out of the running before the race starts - then of course you're as well off to just cut them loose, they're not bringing the right attitude into the camp.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:poth
kk must be going something right ,they have won 3 of the last 4 minors , 3 senior in a row . a lenster club title and generally represented offaly very well outside offaly .
their underage team are very strong so i think people should praise them rather than SNEER at them POTH
yes k/k are doing a great job but lets not go overboard on this, ST.Thomass of Galway who beat k/k in the club final did they not drop out of senior level in Galway after ? yes there is a few from k/k that should be in the offaly panel i agree but not as many as some think there should be, and i also don't think that a team full of k/k players would have us in a better place than where we are, lets not forget Coolderry also won the leinster club title 3 years ago just a year before k/k win. and that was two years ago now. how many senior have Rhode won or underage titles still didn't make offaly any better at county level.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:More proof of discrimination against the Kilcormac lads. There must be a tribunal who will hear all the evidence on this and hand out appropriate sanctions.

Such sanctions might include - a minimum number of Kilcormac players on each county team (perhaps 50%, but we can decide on this later), both hurling and football, and there always to be a KIlcormac manager and a Kilcormac captain. Offaly should also wear the Kilcormac-Killoughey jerseys - they're more or less that same colour anyway.

They should also bring a motion to congress (it's too late for this year, but that's the County board's fault) to increase huring and football to 25 a side, so more Kilcormac players can be included.

The whole process can be called Kilcormacology.
hurlus wrote:TOWNMAN, just to clarify an issue AGAIN.
Leonard was NOT asked into the offaly panal, I repeat NOT
Asked into the offaly panal under whelehan, or under baker. Yes he was there under joe Dooley, warming the
Bench like the other young lads that year, as too was grogan, and plenty more.
Same s#*t every year with offaly. Where your from and who you are determines if you
Play for your county
Or may you could start a religion call Birristianity.
You could have Brother Vincent As the messiah.
Pad Joe as the voice of God. Brian can be the pope.
St Brendan College can be the Church and anyone who didn't attend can be call unbelievers.
The Good news can be the match programme from 1986 All Ireland Senior Colleges Hurling Final .
All other Gaa programme like the 1981 and 1985 all hurling final programme which don't contain enough birr men can be hierarchy.
The great thing about this is could have commandments.
The 10 Commandments List, Short Form

1. You shall have no other Club hurler before a birr club hurler.
2. You shall not make idols of anyone but hurler that attended St Brendan College.
3. You shall not be call an Offaly Hurler unless your have some connecting to St Brendan College or Birr Gaa.
4. Remember the only County Hurling pitch is St Brendan Park.
5. Burn anyone who thinks that there a Good Hurler North of the fivealley for these hurlers are nothing but false prophets and despite the fact that look better hurlers than the Birr hurlers they don't wear the correct jersey so there Evil.
6. You shall murder anyone who thinks that a manager could come from another club apart from Birr.
7. Attending Games in O'Connor Park is adultery.
8. O'Connor Park stole inter county games from St Brendan park. Scream it from the roof tops.
9. You shall bear false witness against any other club players for they are sub human as they are not from Birr.
10. You shall burn at the stake anyone Hurler that says anything other than Birr Club is the great club ever.

Can wait till see the martyrs heading for O'Connor Park with a car full of explosives.

I hope that sarcastic enough for you.

Half the the poster on here keep saying that some hurlers aren't committed.
hurlus has come in and point out that some hurler were asked.
Its was a fair point.
maybe take a moment to ask why they weren't asked?
No one saying that half the Kilcormac Killoughey team should be on the Offaly team but surely a few of the leader for the Kilcormac killoughey team would be a good idea on a team with no leader or work horses.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman no one suggested that offaly should be domanated by kk players but lets be honest how many kk have got the chances that c parlon k brady and b carroll .b carroll came good last year after under preforming for over a decade .

like it no not kk are still made feel outsiders in offaly hurling circles .

st thomas didnt retain their galway title and got luck against kk in my opinion.

clara did win the kilkenny title but didnt go anywhere , ballyhale are the class team in kilkenny and the kilkenny panel reflects that .indeed i think they have 39 all irelands amoung them .
lone shark b cody really values club hurling as the raw material for his senior team .
my point is that kk have been the best club so the county team should reflect that .
kk play a very physical traditional type of hurling which i dont think either b whelahan or j dooley like that style and that way be what kk guys were not wanted but their more modern style has been a disaster for offaly

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ger Healion, Dan Curram's, Conor Mahon, Ciaran Slevin, Cillian Kiely, Conor Selvin, the two Gerathy's Peter and Thomas, Damien Kilmartin, have hurl with offaly the last two years let it be walsh cup league or championship, Brian Leonard hurl under Joe Dooley in the league came on as a sub again Galway in tullamore if i rememer rightly. Kevin Grogan was in with offaly in the early 2000's hurl a walsh cup game in birr again kilkenny he was on Shefflian the same day at corner back, Peter Healion was also hurl centreback in 2005 when Carlow beat us in the league down in carlow 10 years ago, most of the k/k team have hurl minor or under 21's with the county so this rubbish that the k/k players don't get a chance to hurl with offaly.

back even futher the late 80's 90's John and Henry Kilmartin, John Rigney, Colm Cassidly, Shane Hand, Tony Spain, Damien Barron, Niall Hand, Stephen Byrne, most hurl senior in league or championship so this rules out the bullshit that k/k are the forgotten club in offaly.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

townman wrote:Ger Healion, Dan Curram's, Conor Mahon, Ciaran Slevin, Cillian Kiely, Conor Selvin, the two Gerathy's Peter and Thomas, Damien Kilmartin, have hurl with offaly the last two years let it be walsh cup league or championship, Brian Leonard hurl under Joe Dooley in the league came on as a sub again Galway in tullamore if i rememer rightly. Kevin Grogan was in with offaly in the early 2000's hurl a walsh cup game in birr again kilkenny he was on Shefflian the same day at corner back, Peter Healion was also hurl centreback in 2005 when Carlow beat us in the league down in carlow 10 years ago, most of the k/k team have hurl minor or under 21's with the county so this rubbish that the k/k players don't get a chance to hurl with offaly.

back even futher the late 80's 90's John and Henry Kilmartin, John Rigney, Colm Cassidly, Shane Hand, Tony Spain, Damien Barron, Niall Hand, Stephen Byrne, most hurl senior in league or championship so this rules out the bullshit that k/k are the forgotten club in offaly.
Hurling a Walsh Cup game or two hardly constitutes being given a chance to show what you can do. And Ger Healion has never played in his best position of full back for Offaly as far as I know. If they were available I'd like to see G. Healion, Kilmartin, Mahon and Currams being given a proper chance to play in central positions for their county. However, it seems Healion and Mahon are not available this year. I take LS's point that if a player comes onto a panel with the mentality that he won't be treated equally cos of the club he comes from then he is better off not being there at all. However, what all this really shows is the need for a manager who can command respect, unity and commitment. And where players leave their club affiliations outside the gate.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Townman since your'e such a know all when did St. Thomas's Galway as you tell us get relegated after beating kk in club all ireland. Answer never! Just to add your attitude towards Del Morkham is a disgrace. He has more talent in his big toe than a bull shit artist like you will ever have!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="shannonbanks14"]Townman since your'e such a know all when did St. Thomas's Galway as you tell us get relegated after beating kk in club all ireland. Answer never! Just to add your attitude towards Del Morkham is a disgrace. He has more talent in his big toe than a bull shit artist like you will ever have![/quote

where did i mention Morkham in my last post, what attitude are you on about i said he is not in the panel as the lad is leaving the country and best of luck to him, and i wasn't the one who wrote that he was leaving the country. i mention he was off the panel over last year, and again if you go back to last years post i wasn't the one to bring it up about why he was. so Shannonbanks you post up here were i have or said anything about my attitude towards Del, as for Thomas's they were in a play off to stay up last year were they not.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

first_touch wrote:
townman wrote:Ger Healion, Dan Curram's, Conor Mahon, Ciaran Slevin, Cillian Kiely, Conor Selvin, the two Gerathy's Peter and Thomas, Damien Kilmartin, have hurl with offaly the last two years let it be walsh cup league or championship, Brian Leonard hurl under Joe Dooley in the league came on as a sub again Galway in tullamore if i rememer rightly. Kevin Grogan was in with offaly in the early 2000's hurl a walsh cup game in birr again kilkenny he was on Shefflian the same day at corner back, Peter Healion was also hurl centreback in 2005 when Carlow beat us in the league down in carlow 10 years ago, most of the k/k team have hurl minor or under 21's with the county so this rubbish that the k/k players don't get a chance to hurl with offaly.

Hurling a Walsh Cup game or two hardly constitutes being given a chance to show what you can do. And Ger Healion has never played in his best position of full back for Offaly as far as I know. If they were available I'd like to see G. Healion, Kilmartin, Mahon and Currams being given a proper chance to play in central positions for their county. However, it seems Healion and Mahon are not available this year. I take LS's point that if a player comes onto a panel with the mentality that he won't be treated equally cos of the club he comes from then he is better off not being there at all. However, what all this really shows is the need for a manager who can command respect, unity and commitment. And where players leave their club affiliations outside the gate.

first touch how long are Healion,Currams, and Mahon in with offaly i don't think its right to say they are not given a proper chance, yes they should be in the squad but to say they didn't get a proper chance is madness.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Yeh playoff with a lot of other teams, but thats not relegation. I havent been on this forum in a while and lookin back at comments re Del Morkham, they out of order. Its easy have all the answers when you're sittin in the stand!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="shannonbanks14"]Yeh playoff with a lot of other teams, but thats not relegation. I havent been on this forum in a while and lookin back at comments re Del Morkham, they out of order. Its easy have all the answers when you're sittin in the stand![/quote

where have i the bad attitude with Del as you said i have, if you look back i said his a big lost to the county as he is the best halfback in the county, it is a forum but don't be posting things up that i didn't say lad, or if i did post it up here and i will answer it if it is wrong cheers.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

To be honest I reckon KK will be even stronger this year with so few ( 2 is it? ) currently on the county panel. I remember last year watching a few club games the week or two after Offaly got knocked out of the championship and it amazed me how poor the players were that were actually on the county panel.
Last edited by allstar2010 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Townman, what I mean by a proper chance is a reasonable run in their best position. As I said I don't think Healion has ever played full back for Offaly though I could be wrong. Mahon and Currams have been in and out of the team. Anyway, my main point is that ideally the best players should be played in their best positions regardless of where the come from.