2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by townman »

that was a game of two halfs for offaly good first half again the wind poor in the second half with the wind took us 14 minutes to score in the second half but a wins a win and by god does offaly hurling needs wins . best for offaly Shane Dooley looks fitter than he has been in years his senting off was a joke as he only ran out over the end line with his westmeath marker who landed again the fence a joke with all the shit Cody gives out about refs he should have a look at his own the are ref the game.

Stephen Quirke done well scored 2 goals and seem to take a knock just before half time and it seem to slow him up as he was taking off before fulltime, Tommy Carroll came into to after Dooley got the line scored 2 good points and has filled out his as strong as a bull should get a good run in the team now
as for the newcomers Paddy Murphy done ok scored Gareth Mann try hard but wasn't his day missed a sitter straight after half time. Sean Ryan was poor at midfield he was at least at fault for 4 westmeath points between fouling or passing it straight to westmeath players his not a midfielder simple as.

the backs were good with Emmett Nolan outstanding scored 4 points 3 long range frees and a great point from play in the first half, Camon and Stephen Egan hurl well in the corners Colin Egan very good at centre back caught some great balls Parlon ok but does take to much out of the ball when he gets it. James Dempsey make another great save today his one of the best keepers in the country Stephen Wynne done well in patches but we are in trouble around midfield the two there are not midfielders, Young Cillian Kiely came on but didn't see to much ball Currams and Carroll also came in. i would rather have seen a few other players like Mulrooney or the Geraghtys coming on anyway its a win and a game again Galway in two weeks time in tullamore to come now.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

[quote="Slieve Bloom Man"]Has anyone got a list of the subs for tomorrow? Thanks

Let's hope team get off to a winning start. Good to see 3 debutants. Seemingly training is going better than last year but this is second hand information! Hopefully it is going well![/quote

the subs from the programme were Conor Clancy,Niall Wynne, Dermot Mooney, Chris McDonald, Dan Currams, Peter Geraghty, Shane Kelly, Eanna Murphy, Cillian Kiely, Brian Carroll, Adrian Hynes, Thomas Geraghty, Micheal Cleary, David King, Colm Mulrooney.

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

Was at the game and felt that while offaly were the better team (certainly in the first half against the wind) Iit could still be argued they were lucky in the end to win. A disallowed goal, a tom carroll point that was at lleast a yard wide.....the sending off of Shane Dooley was a complete joke.....if hurling was played in Kilkenny the way that referee handled the game today they would never win an All Ireland..... Dempsey did well in goal, although there are still big question marks around his puck outs. Full back line was decent enough but looked dodgy under high ball in around the square. ...no one taking control of the high ball which resulted in their disallowed goal.....Colin Egan did well, Emmeline Nolan was Offaly's best player, but Cathal Parlor is not a half back.....midfield worked hard but had no real influence on the game other than to give the ball away every time they got Iit.....i thought Gareth Mann had a decent shift but was unsure what to do when he won ball.....tom carroll surprised me with the amount of ball he got in the second half, but again did not do a whole lot with it......Shane Kinellarwwon't start too many more games based on today's performance......sStephen QUIRKEwas always a threat and scored two good goals, Shave Dooley looked very fit and was very accurate from frees.....Paddy Murphy did well, tried very hard, and caused problems all day....
a win is a win and it gives the lads the opportunity to get a bit of momentum......lets see what Galway bring in a fortnight

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Lads, please can ye stop rating players who are not part of the panel against those who are not willing or able to commit to County. Such as Grogan and Leonard from KK. Its a waste of time on yer part and annoying for the rest of us to keep reading.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Gareth Mann who hurl sunday must be a first as a Ballycommon man to hurl senior with offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:Gareth Mann who hurl sunday must be a first as a Ballycommon man to hurl senior with offaly.
I don't mean to distract the thread or anything, but I will say that this ad-hoc practice annoys me. The correct protocol to my knowledge is that a player should be listed by the club he plays for at the appropriate code. Hence if Gareth Mann plays senior football for Offaly, he should be listed as being from Ballycommon. When he plays senior hurling for Offaly, he's Tullamore, and if he plays minor football for Offaly, he should be from St Vincents.

This used to drive me cracked, particularly in the case of Ferbane and Belmont. There's enough "us and them" out there in cases like this without the county board adding fuel to the fire by highlighting something which in hurling terms, is no more than a place of origin.

I wouldn't mind if it was consistently applied the other way, but it absolutely isn't. For example I never in my life saw "John Ryan - Shannonbridge", or "Danny Kelliher - Ballycumber" listed on an Offaly hurling teamsheet.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good point lone shark though the same myself when looking at yesterdays programme at the game they should have put his club he hurls with.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Interesting alright , so if he plays football for Ballycommon and St.Vincents does that mean he is in the Daingean parish?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well he should have been named as tullamore on sundays programme any how, as for football i don't know neither Ballycommon or Daingean are seniors so it's up to who he plays his football with.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Interesting alright , so if he plays football for Ballycommon and St.Vincents does that mean he is in the Daingean parish?
Yes, Gareth is from Ballycommon (in Daingean parish) and played underage football with St. Vincent's growing up and underage hurling with Tullamore. He now plays adult football with Ballycommon and adult hurling with Tullamore. This is the general arrangement over the years and seems to work out well, as the players are all used to it from when they first start hurling that Tullamore is their club for hurling. Most of the Cappincur players, go to primary school in Tullamore, so they are playing with the same players underage too. A lot of Ballycommon players also attend primary school in Tullamore, but not always the case as their is a school out that direction too (Cappagh, I think).

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Big catchment area for Tullamore hurlers so , they should really be a lot stronger each year one would imagine .

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

"Danny Kelliher - Ballycumber"
Is he not Tubber?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Because Daingean parish does not field an adult hurling team, anyone from that parish may play hurling as a ‘permission player’ with another club in the county. And so GM as well as Ger and Hugh Treacy play hurling with Tellamore. Perhaps there are others - someone might enlighten me?

This, to my knowledge, has to be applied for at the beginning each year. I am guessing but it may be the case that the deadline for what they call ‘exceptions to the parish rule’ may not yet have passed. Has the January County Board meeting been held yet? It’s also possible that it’s still not too late for a hurling team from Daingean Parish to enter a Junior team this year. If that were to be the case (I’m not saying they are going to enter a team, just stating the hypothesis) any players from the parish would have to play hurling with the Daingean Parish team and would be ineligible for an ‘exception to the parish rule’.

Time will tell. The next time Gareth is listed for Offaly hurlers, will his club be Ballycommon or Tullamore? If the former, then there is an inconsistency; if the latter then my theory is proven.
Lone Shark wrote:I don't mean to distract the thread or anything, but I will say that this ad-hoc practice annoys me. The correct protocol to my knowledge is that a player should be listed by the club he plays for at the appropriate code. Hence if Gareth Mann plays senior football for Offaly, he should be listed as being from Ballycommon. When he plays senior hurling for Offaly, he's Tullamore, and if he plays minor football for Offaly, he should be from St Vincents.

This used to drive me cracked, particularly in the case of Ferbane and Belmont. There's enough "us and them" out there in cases like this without the county board adding fuel to the fire by highlighting something which in hurling terms, is no more than a place of origin.

I wouldn't mind if it was consistently applied the other way, but it absolutely isn't. For example I never in my life saw "John Ryan - Shannonbridge", or "Danny Kelliher - Ballycumber" listed on an Offaly hurling teamsheet.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Restricting the comparisons to those who at least currently reside in the northern hemisphere would be a start.
ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Lads, please can ye stop rating players who are not part of the panel against those who are not willing or able to commit to County. Such as Grogan and Leonard from KK. Its a waste of time on yer part and annoying for the rest of us to keep reading.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Because Daingean parish does not field an adult hurling team, anyone from that parish may play hurling as a ‘permission player’ with another club in the county. And so GM as well as Ger and Hugh Treacy play hurling with Tellamore. Perhaps there are others - someone might enlighten me?

This, to my knowledge, has to be applied for at the beginning each year. I am guessing but it may be the case that the deadline for what they call ‘exceptions to the parish rule’ may not yet have passed. Has the January County Board meeting been held yet? It’s also possible that it’s still not too late for a hurling team from Daingean Parish to enter a Junior team this year. If that were to be the case (I’m not saying they are going to enter a team, just stating the hypothesis) any players from the parish would have to play hurling with the Daingean Parish team and would be ineligible for an ‘exception to the parish rule’.

Time will tell. The next time Gareth is listed for Offaly hurlers, will his club be Ballycommon or Tullamore? If the former, then there is an inconsistency; if the latter then my theory is proven.
Lone Shark wrote:I don't mean to distract the thread or anything, but I will say that this ad-hoc practice annoys me. The correct protocol to my knowledge is that a player should be listed by the club he plays for at the appropriate code. Hence if Gareth Mann plays senior football for Offaly, he should be listed as being from Ballycommon. When he plays senior hurling for Offaly, he's Tullamore, and if he plays minor football for Offaly, he should be from St Vincents.

Another interesting point here , as there are 4 or 5 Daingean players already playing hurling with Edenderry as they have done with permission for the past 7-8 years how is there different rules applied here?