2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by kingscounty »

Or is it because there is no hurling team in Daingean that the players themselves can play with whatever hurling team they want ?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This is correct, KC. Time was you had to play with an adjoining club but the word 'adjoining' seems to have been dropped somewhere along the line.
kingscounty wrote:Or is it because there is no hurling team in Daingean that the players themselves can play with whatever hurling team they want ?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:This is correct, KC. Time was you had to play with an adjoining club but the word 'adjoining' seems to have been dropped somewhere along the line.
kingscounty wrote:Or is it because there is no hurling team in Daingean that the players themselves can play with whatever hurling team they want ?
All clear now so, sorry going off the topic of the heading here , Galway up next , great game to get before league starts , a win here would boost the squad morale .

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Thats my point , how is it handy when opposition have a goal ruled out when 3 pts down with few mins left??? They tell me that scores can come somewhat frequently in hurling! ?? Sending off may be a joke, but we only scored 5 pts with the wind and many of the team would be fighting for their places so shouldn't be easing up. A worry would be that we turn to Brian Carroll for help to save us in the walshcup. No disrespect to him but we should be looking at some younger chaps in a game like this?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just back to sundays game and panel, i think its a bit early to be throwing Cillian Kiely into senior action the lad is just out of minor i know if your good enough your young enough, thats ok if you are coming into a team that are winning leinsters or all ireland, like when Sid and the Pilkingtons and Brendan Kelly came onto the scene in the late 80's early 90's they had the likes of Eugene Coughlan, Pat Delaney, Joachim Kelly, Mark Corrigan to bring them on plus we were after winning 3 leinsters in a row that time.

as for todays panel in my opinion there no one with medals or leaders at the moment to bring the young players on, i hope it goes well for young Kiely who is a fine hurler but i fear a few poor results for offaly and maybe a few games won't go his way fans will begin to get on his back, but its just my opinion as i said, but i think a year with the under 21's and another year of senior hurling with k/k would have better for the lad, and maybe 2016 would be the year to let the lad hurl senior.

i know my own clubman Emmett Nolan has came from the minor scene onto the senior but in fairness there isn't as much about him as with young Kiely, just a few in the stands on sunday were saying after Cillian try to flick a ball over the westmeath players head and didn't work out some were saying your not hurling club now thats the sort of shit he doesn't need to hear. as for Emmett Nolan his a gem of a player :wink: i hope Sid leaves him right half back all year.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Still don't get this whole Cillian Kiely is too young voodoo...

Kiely will have more than enough protection playing senior and is bigger and stronger than some of the lads in the mid 20's hurling. Put Kiely up against Stephen Egan, Emett Nolan, Cathal Parlon and he will hold his own. The day of mauling young lads when they come on the scene is well and truely gone.

Now flicking the ball over a lads head especially on his debut shouldn't be tolerated. This is where Kiely will need game time to gain experience.

I think it's right having him their now. Let him train with the lads, gain some game experience ( Walsh Cup & League) because I do think he is the future center back for us.
He wont start in the forward line in championship ahead of Dooley, Currams, Bergin, Quirke, Paddy Murphy, Brian Carroll, Sean Cleary, the 2 Gearethy's.

And your right Nolan is a gem and need to be left wing back for the league. I think players need to develop into their positions win loose or draw. But I do think we will miss Del Morkan in the summer. Having 2 forwards in our half back line will show up come summer.

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

kaiserchief wrote: Now flicking the ball over a lads head especially on his debut shouldn't be tolerated. This is where Kiely will need game time to gain experience.
Yes a young lad coming in with a bit of confidence and swagger, that shouldn't be tolerated. How dare he?!
Was Offaly hurling not built on such acts of temerity? Shows how far expectations and confidence of supporters have fallen. Its something different that's needed because what they have already is certainly not working.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

My own view is that he is time enough being called into the senior panel. He still has alot to learn and prove at senior club level. Saw him in the minor semi final this year and he certainly didnt have things his own way. Got very frustrated a number of times when he was blocked and hooked and lost possession. And that was against club standard players at his own grade. He played some great hurling for the seniors in Leinster. My point is that he has plenty of talent but should not be on a county senior panel yet.

He is a talent for the future. I hope he just gets given the opportunity to focus on U21 now and develop a bit further. If he proves to be very strong at that grade for the county then review his progress again for this time next year.
I saw some very strong hurlers at underage get too much hurling playing at grades higher than their age group and then completely packing it in when they left the underage ranks. Not saying that is always the case but player burnout has to be considered.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

agree with you timber, as i said if he was coming onto a winning strong county team i would have no problem, i have seen a few over the years who came in very young and were gone again their peak
Paul Cleary, Dylan Hayden, Stephen Brown, Brian Watkins, from my own club, Daniel Hoctor, Diaruim Horan, Conor Heron, just a few from off the top of my head .

hurlus
Junior C

Post by hurlus »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Lads, please can ye stop rating players who are not part of the panel against those who are not willing or able to commit to County. Such as Grogan and Leonard from KK. Its a waste of time on yer part and annoying for the rest of us to keep reading.
[/quote]

You need to get your facts straight before commenting ,when you are mentioning people's names. leonard was not asked into the offaly panal, neither this year or the past few years. He had being in with the panal years ago under joe Dooley and was not able to commit then, but has never being asked in there since. So it's unfair to put up there thst he is not willing to go in with offaly when he was never asked in.

THis is an offaly chat forum, so people are going to rate players, whether on or off the panal. They are going to give there opinions, and rightly so.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

agree with townman kiely is very young
he has great potental just hope i he is able for senior hurling .
it think he needs a few years even in the raharnery game he struggled with some dig whereas when d kilmartain switched he was well able for the physical stuff . kiely is still only a boy whereas kilmartain is a man .
kiely has a lot of hurling to play before he get our of the u 21s

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Agree with the previous couple of posts....there is plenty of time for Cilian to play county under 21, senior with KK, and get used to tthe different challenges of Senior hurling.... he is a great prospect, let's make sure we give him eevery chance to realise his potential

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

[quote="sam88885a"
it think he needs a few years even in the raharnery game he struggled with some dig whereas when d kilmartain switched he was well able for the physical stuff . kiely is still only a boy whereas kilmartain is a man .
[/quote]

Have to diasagree with ya here.
Kiely and Con Mahon won the game for KK that day when moved midfield. Kiely scored from 90 yards and another from the sideline and also won the last free. He is well able for the hits at senior level its the experience of doing the right thing with the ball that will stand to him.

And Kilmartin is the best in the county at winning dirty ball around the middle and would be my first choice in midfield.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Yes agree Kilmartin would be better than the two that hurl midfield on sunday.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kaiserchief con mahon and kiely did make a huge difference when they went to midfield against raharney but my point was kiely was struggling with a very physical wing back whereas kilmartain was more than able for it .
in three or four years kiely wil really be able to look after himself but people need to rember he is only out of minor