2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by Killeighman »

The way i see it with Kiely is if the lad is a good enough hurler he should play... We need the best lining out for us because we have not got the best hurlers going at this present time

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Breaking my own rules as I don’t like picking teams like this, but here’s what I’d field against Laois. This assumes Brian Carroll and Joseph Bergin are unavailable. I haven’t attended either of the pre-season matches (because that was just January) and I’m not aware of short term injuries, any recent withdrawals, etc.

Laois will play to their pattern, withdrawing an attacker and running at Offaly. Thing is, all clubs in Offaly play the ‘Offaly way’ (with some exceptions), that is, get the ball and hit it away. Therefore the concern is that Offaly won’t cope with a team playing in an unorthodox fashion.

It is also a concern that just two Offaly men hurled in the Fitzgibbon Cup last Thursday. Several clubs around the country had more than that, and not all of them from traditional counties either. Now, I’m not aware of the career paths of many of the Offaly lads but I rather suspect Offaly hurlers are at a disadvantage as a result of insufficient youth coaching resulting in the deficiencies noted in my second paragraph, above.

Time ticks on and hurlers go and come. The 2007 U21 team were the main men for the Joe Dooley and Ollie Baker era. The next era will be centred on the 2013 U21s who ran Kilkenny close and the 2010 Banagher College All-Ireland team.

James Dempsey (I’m fierce tempted to put Conor Clancy in goal, given his better puckout but an inexperienced defence needs the Kinnitty man’s solidity behind it)

Niall Wynne (need a gurrier at corner-back)
Dermot Shortt (deserves his chance at square’s edge, his recent experience with Séamus Callanan will make, or break, him)
Stephen Egan (the man in possession, though Chris McDonald would be a reasonable alternative corner-back)

Emmet Nolan (was apparently decent against Galway when all around him were losing their heads)
Conor Doughan (one of the two who played in the Fitzgibbon Cup last week) query - is he involved currently?
Michael Cleary (deserves his chance, good in the air, mobile)

Pat Camon (not a corner-back, whatever else he is, the half-back line is covered so midfield for the Cloghan lad)
Cillian Kiely (I’ve no worries about his age, can cover defence and win frees in attack)

Paddy Murphy (is a ten, and nothing else, and is a good puckout target which is needed here)
Really stuck here, perhaps Cathal Parlon? Or Seán Cleary
Colin Egan (another puckout target required, and he is the best man for this job)

Stephen Quirke (a 13, and a scoring threat)
Shane Dooley (the main scoring threat, obviously, can win his own ball and score goals so keep him close to goal)
Peter Geraghty (the county is not flush with left flank attackers but he’s the best fit)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

plain of the herbs c doughan is not involved this year so i wonder who ur second choise centre back would be .
i really surprised u didnt pick d currams surely u could have put him at left corner forward ahead of p geraghty .he is this years captain and i expect to see him at full forward with s dooley and s quirke in the corners for the laois game .
id think j demsey n wynee d shortt s egan e nolan c kiely s quirke c egan c parlon d curram and s dooley will all start against laois just not sure in what positions .

Once off
Junior C

Post by Once off »

Townsman you say
Del is a big lost but its a lot more than hurling that has the lad not hurling with the county at the moment.

Townsman there has been a couple of your posts where you seem to want to offload about dels personal life . I have never posted on this website or any other website in my life but I feel I have to this one time as del is my son , I can't make out if you have a problem with del or you are trying to defend Brian whelan ( I would like to think it's the latter ) . My sons private life is private and should be left that way , it's easy to be on here writing anonymously , but if you don't want to put your name up you can contact me and we can sit down and you tell me all you seem to know . I see by your posts that you are very knowledgeable about hurling and that's what this website is supposed to be about , I wouldn't have the same knowledge but let me say this , that del has given 7 years of his life to offaly hurling , there were times over the years he didn't have a job but he still turned up for offaly , last year he had a bit of a wobble regarding his discipline dropped to the bench for antrim game , ( fair enough) came on in second half and I think he had a big influence on the win ,but didn't play against tipp as the manager wanted to discipline him but if he shared the discipline evenly there wouldn't have many started against tipp but I'm sure you know that . He has been treated like shit by Brian whelan and the county board and not only is he a loss to offaly and his club but also to me and my wife as it looks like he is going abroad . Townsman I don't know who you are but you should be aware that these players have family that read this website and while they are open to critism about hurling that's where it should stay you should keep in mind the saying " don't judge me till you have walked in my shoes ". Your statement that it's a lot more than hurling that has him not in with the county is interesting I would really like to know what you mean because he has been in there for seven years and hurling well and whatever about his private life he didn't become a bad hurler all of a sudden .[/quote][/quote]

hurleyman
Junior B

Post by hurleyman »

lads the Geraghtys have pulled themselves of the panel cause the not getting a fair amount of game time. too be honest I cant blame them with the likes of Adrian Hynes and Paddy Murphy getting games ahead of them never mind Tom Carroll for that matter

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

hurleyman wrote:lads the Geraghtys have pulled themselves of the panel cause the not getting a fair amount of game time. too be honest I cant blame them with the likes of Adrian Hynes and Paddy Murphy getting games ahead of them never mind Tom Carroll for that matter
I'd say this is a typical example of one of the big issues that people have with forums like this one. The above quote makes a definite statement, not just as to what happened ("Geraghtys have pulled themselves of the panel") but also why they did this ("not getting a fair amount of game time"), followed by some analysis of the merits of this decision ( I cant blame them with the likes of Adrian Hynes and Paddy Murphy getting games ahead of them...). In a more traditional setting the source for the story would be verified, a statement from the player or the county would be included about this to verify. Here, however, it is pretty much a cut and dry issue that you either believe or choose not to trust: The Geraghtys are gone and they walked because they were not happy with game time .

How can we learn if this is true or not and then the reason for it happening? Do the team release a statement, does the manager have to answer questions from media?

Also, it highlights how non-professional the GAA really is. Lads get asked in, they come in and leave when the like, which is fine as they are only amateur. However, if it was to go pro or semi pro this type of thing could not happen, as contracts would have to be drawn up and broken in such an instances. Would the GAA give a temporary contract to every player that plays in the O'Byrne Cup or gets a run out in the league, only to be gone before the start of the Summer. Maybe a month by month or week by week rolling contract. Not exactly the security that is going to have many players quiting their job to sign up for (apart from the top 10% of inter-county players, that are guaranteed their place). Food for thought.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Well said Once Off, we all need to be mindful of not making personal remarks or insinuations about players. Del is a tremendous hurler and I for one am very sad to see him disillusioned with the way he was treated. I look forward to him hurling with Offaly again when we get a new manager.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Once off wrote:Townsman you say
Del is a big lost but its a lot more than hurling that has the lad not hurling with the county at the moment.

Townsman there has been a couple of your posts where you seem to want to offload about dels personal life . I have never posted on this website or any other website in my life but I feel I have to this one time as del is my son , I can't make out if you have a problem with del or you are trying to defend Brian whelan ( I would like to think it's the latter ) . My sons private life is private and should be left that way , it's easy to be on here writing anonymously , but if you don't want to put your name up you can contact me and we can sit down and you tell me all you seem to know . I see by your posts that you are very knowledgeable about hurling and that's what this website is supposed to be about , I wouldn't have the same knowledge but let me say this , that del has given 7 years of his life to offaly hurling , there were times over the years he didn't have a job but he still turned up for offaly , last year he had a bit of a wobble regarding his discipline dropped to the bench for antrim game , ( fair enough) came on in second half and I think he had a big influence on the win ,but didn't play against tipp as the manager wanted to discipline him but if he shared the discipline evenly there wouldn't have many started against tipp but I'm sure you know that . He has been treated like shit by Brian whelan and the county board and not only is he a loss to offaly and his club but also to me and my wife as it looks like he is going abroad . Townsman I don't know who you are but you should be aware that these players have family that read this website and while they are open to critism about hurling that's where it should stay you should keep in mind the saying " don't judge me till you have walked in my shoes ". Your statement that it's a lot more than hurling that has him not in with the county is interesting I would really like to know what you mean because he has been in there for seven years and hurling well and whatever about his private life he didn't become a bad hurler all of a sudden .
[/quote][/quote]

sorry if you took me up wrong the reason i thought Del was not hurling this year as someone else post up here the lad was going to the uk for work, as why i said he was not back on the panel if you look at all my post's i said he was a fine hurler and will be a big lost to club and county. as i said i said nothing about his private life nor do i want to know about it.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

hurleyman wrote:lads the Geraghtys have pulled themselves of the panel cause the not getting a fair amount of game time. too be honest I cant blame them with the likes of Adrian Hynes and Paddy Murphy getting games ahead of them never mind Tom Carroll for that matter
We'll be lucky to have 15 players come championship at this rate. Lads are dropping like flies, morale must be at an all time low in the camp. It's scary how embarrassing this set up has become in a short time. There definitely is the potential for a very competitive outfit if the proper management was in place. But nothing will happen and nobody cares!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

flyingsaucer wrote:
((Kenny might not be back as his knee is causing him problem's, Del i heard they were trying to get him back,)
Just to clear this up Brain Whelan dropped del from the panel and no approach has been made to get him back .Word is he is moving to the UK ,so not alone is he going to be a loss to offaly but also to his club .

this is the post as why i said Del, was not coming back onto the panel, and it was nothing to do with hurling as it seems the lad is off to the UK, as i have said nothing was wrote about his private life from me and you can go back all my post and you won't find anything i said about his life outside the game, and yes his a big lost to club and county as i have post this before.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'd like to echo first_touch's point. There really is an onus on each individual to be careful about what they post here and to be mindful of who will be reading said post. Best wishes to Derek and I hope to see him lead Shinrone from the front come County Championship time.
first_touch wrote:Well said Once Off, we all need to be mindful of not making personal remarks or insinuations about players. Del is a tremendous hurler and I for one am very sad to see him disillusioned with the way he was treated. I look forward to him hurling with Offaly again when we get a new manager.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

best wishes to del and i hope we will see him in the offaly jersey again very soon .he and other goods lads has been treated shamefully in my opinion .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I'd much rather see the management gone and get these boys all back on board . From reading here it seems there is a divide between some players and management . Del in my opinion was an outstanding wing back when he came on the scene for Offaly and would have been one of my first picks when it came to picking a team , I can't understand how this management have been left in charge if it's damaging hurling and turning lads off playing for the county. Wicklow have Michael Kavanagh on board as an adviser , Carlow have John Allen , Michael Ryan is over Westmeath , Laois are putting every effort in to improve hurling within their county , what are we doing only killing ourselves . For me next Saturday night week is vital either way , win and we have a chance of staying up but it just prolongs a mismanagment of a team that was hammered out the gate by Kilkenny last summer and the matter should have been dealt with them . Lose and its divison 2A hurling next year here we come!

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

It is definitely time for a change of management .....there are no more dedicatedand committed hurlers than tthe two Geraghty. ....all they want to do is hurl. .....and if the current management can take away their passion fir hurling then he us some man....Unfortunately, some man with all the qmanagement qualities you don't want. Is he really that convinced that he is doing a good job and on top of his brief that he cannot see the damage he is doing????

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

hurleyman wrote:lads the Geraghtys have pulled themselves of the panel cause the not getting a fair amount of game time.
Two Hard working forwards leaving. A huge loss this year but it for the best.
These lads are the future of Offaly and don't need to be around this manager and his team.
That leave only Two Kilcormac Killoughey lads on the Panel. one of them an 18 years just out of Minor.
3 Time County Champions. Lost a Leinster final after extra time.

It leave a space for another few hurlers to come into the panel.
some on here will be able to say that the Geragthy's a sure they were committed enough to play for the county.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”