2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
timber
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by timber »

Physically he is a big lad and that wont be an issue.

I just feel hes too young still and has plenty to learn hurling wise. Let the lad focus on making an impression with his club at senior level and u21 with the county and then consider promoting him to the next level.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Intresting read this week.

I had to say that i was real inpressed with Offaly 1st half last sunday. 10 turnover from the forwards choked the Westmeath backs. Wynne use of the ball was good. Ryan had a real bad day. The forward worked so hard the backs were under no pressure. Nolan stricking was excellent and his long distance free's were well taking.
Offaly could well have been 12 or 13 points ahead at half time.
Dooley booking for following the ball in and clashing with the goalkeeper. Its was nothing but the goalkeeper going off injured and he got booked.
In the 1st half Egan, Shortt and Camon were shouting instruction to both the midfield and half back line. Keep everyone in line and keep the backs in the position they felt was best.

I don't know was happen in the 2nd half. Westmeath outfought Offaly in ever position. i think the Offaly players thought the game was won. Dooley send off was a from almost the 1st ball that went into him in the 2nd half and that was in the 50 min(the send off was a complete joke), the 3 Offaly half forward spend most of the 2nd half in midfield untill the send off and Carroll pushed on to cover the space left. The other problem was the players try to play the same game plan againist the wind as with the wind.
Offaly were lucky to get out with a win.

The Kiely issue was is an intresting one.
The idea of an 18 year old playing a minor County final the week before christmas and an senior intercounty match the 2nd week in January isn't good.
Not a huge amount of rest time for such a young lad. Hurling wise the lad has a lot gone from him but at this moment in time he is just at starting to get to be a excellent Club hurler. Pushing into the inter county team without the rest his young body needs could be dangers for him mental and physical.

This was Offaly 1st game of the year and real hopeful that the 1st half is a sign of thing to come, they was some great stuff in the 1st half.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Sunday 2pm O Connor Park , a win against Galway here would set us up nicely for the league campaign ahead . Galway beat Westmeath by 7 or 8 points last weekend so they seem to be around the same level as us at this stage so I would expect a good tight game with two experimental teams maybe starting the game with more experienced players introduced as the game goes on .

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Sunday 2pm O Connor Park , a win against Galway here would set us up nicely for the league campaign ahead . Galway beat Westmeath by 7 or 8 points last weekend so they seem to be around the same level as us at this stage so I would expect a good tight game with two experimental teams maybe starting the game with more experienced players introduced as the game goes on .
Offaly playedGalway champions yesterday in a challenge game, I believe they won, can anyone confirm this?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Look like Joe Canning will be Playing for Galway on sunday.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=230441
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Will Joe Bergin be back for sunday or whats the story with him is he injuried.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Hurling Tipp tomorrow i think in tipp.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Joe Bergin is out of Sundays game with injury. He should be back for the first round of the league against Laois

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Dan Currams Captain for 2015.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I would have expected that the Walsh Cup Game v Galway on Sunday would not have been played in O'Connor Park but played in St Brendan's Park Birr as promised by our Co Board Chairman last autumn as part of the effort to restore the interest of the South Offaly Hurling Supporter in Hurling. O' Connor Park will attract just about 200 hardy souls from North Offaly which is surely not in the Best Interest of Offaly Hurling.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:I would have expected that the Walsh Cup Game v Galway on Sunday would not have been played in O'Connor Park but played in St Brendan's Park Birr as promised by our Co Board Chairman last autumn as part of the effort to restore the interest of the South Offaly Hurling Supporter in Hurling. O' Connor Park will attract just about 200 hardy souls from North Offaly which is surely not in the Best Interest of Offaly Hurling.
My understanding is that at the moment, the Offaly county board couldn't even schedule a club game for Birr no matter how much they wanted to, as there are aspects of SBP that need to be addressed before they can be allowed accept any paying customers at all. I'm not sure of the details, but I've been told that there is a lot of work to be done in the ground before it can hold a match of any kind right now on stuff like the turnstiles and the terracing.

I don't know what kind of crowd Banagher is licensed to hold, that would have been a grand venue for it all right if it's capable of taking 1000 people or so.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well if st brendans park isn't fit to hold a walsh cup game they might as well knock in down and turn it into a car park, how would Banagher be fit to hold it and not SBP. 1000 people Lone shark
we wouldn't get that number at matches if you add up all the crowd for our home games.
i'd say there were about 150 if lucky from offaly at the last game, whats wrong with the terracing in Birr or is this more bull from the county board just to have all games in tullamore to pay for the stand
they might as well come out and say it, instead of beating around the bush.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:well if st brendans park isn't fit to hold a walsh cup game they might as well knock in down and turn it into a car park, how would Banagher be fit to hold it and not SBP. 1000 people Lone shark
we wouldn't get that number at matches if you add up all the crowd for our home games.
i'd say there were about 150 if lucky from offaly at the last game, whats wrong with the terracing in Birr or is this more bull from the county board just to have all games in tullamore to pay for the stand
they might as well come out and say it, instead of beating around the bush.
Considering it's your own club, you'd do well to learn a bit about it. I've been told that the county board right now couldn't fix a club under-21 game for SBP if they wanted to, following on from the latest health and safety report. There are issues with the barricades on the terrace, there are issues with the proximity to the N62 outside the ground, there are issues with the turnstiles - again I don't know the exact details, but right now the ground is effectively closed is my understanding, and none of the problems are a quick fix either.

This isn't a Tullamore thing - I've said already that I'd be in favour of playing the game somewhere more south and Banagher, being on the Galway border, would make perfect sense to me, subject to it being able to handle the capacity. However I'm not privy to what is and isn't allowed. Also, the Walsh Cup game against Galway last year got 1200 people into O'Connor Park, more than had attended a Walsh Cup game in any Offaly venue for a long time as far as I'm aware. So it's natural that they can only fix it for a ground capable of holding at least that amount.

There are also practical concerns such as press facilities, sufficient dressing room space for physios and doctors and a variety of other things which all weren't thought of back in the 80s and 90s. None of these are up to the proper standard in Birr either.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

look it doesn't bother me where the hurling is now, as i always said if you want to support your county you will go anywhere as i have done the past 37 years, wouldn't have mind the game in birr or Banagher for a change. anyway the hurling is gone out of Birr since 2006 and most that hurl with the senior team see tullamore as there home ground as thats where they have played most of their hurling.

Lone Shark could you tell me if you know whats the story with lights not in OConnor park yet, just was talking to an kildareman last week and he said that we are due to play them in the under 21 football but as like the louth game two years ago we will lose home ground again to kildare as Gracefield it seems is not fit to hold the game, if all county games football and hurling are to be played in tullamore wouldn't you think they would put the lights in. its lucky we are not higher in the leagues as we would lose out on alot of games on TV on saturday nights.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

As far as I'm aware, it's the same story - O'Connor Park is wired for lights, it's just about the cost of installation, which would be somewhere in the vicinity of €100,000 from what I can recall. However I don't know for certain if planning and all that has been dealt with, there may be an issue there. Others involved more closely would probably be able to paint a fuller picture.