2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
beirut
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by beirut »

I know it's hard to compare apples and oranges but I remember hearing or reading a piece about Jackie Tyrell, about how an injury to another back was how he got his opportunity, and then how to held on to it by not resting on his laurels but looking where he had to improve, physically been what he said. So he nailed down his place by building and building on each performance and looking where he had to improve.

Now these lads (the Gerathys) are young, but from the outside (I stress from the outside) it looks like they've just went, Ah we're not getting our game so f**k it, we'll come back under the next manager.

Now not saying Kilkenny players don't do that either, Cha been an example, wasn't getting his game so retired.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we've a really bad mindset in Offaly at the moment, we need competition for places to keep the first team on their toes and it doesn't look like this is happening with so many lads leaving etc.

Elnino85
Junior C

Post by Elnino85 »

Some of yer comments on this site about players is an absolute disgrace! Bringing lads personal lives into it. Players are going out to do their best! Townman, the abuse you're giving Currams and young Morkam, you should be ashamed of yourself. The majority of ye probably wouldn't hit it out of yer way! Bunch of cowards is all ye are, having cheap shots at players!

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

I like your handle "Beirut".......iit is very appropriate for what is going on with the Offaly County hurlers.....

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

beirut wrote:I know it's hard to compare apples and oranges but I remember hearing or reading a piece about Jackie Tyrell, about how an injury to another back was how he got his opportunity, and then how to held on to it by not resting on his laurels but looking where he had to improve, physically been what he said. So he nailed down his place by building and building on each performance and looking where he had to improve.

Now these lads (the Gerathys) are young, but from the outside (I stress from the outside) it looks like they've just went, Ah we're not getting our game so f**k it, we'll come back under the next manager.

Now not saying Kilkenny players don't do that either, Cha been an example, wasn't getting his game so retired.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we've a really bad mindset in Offaly at the moment, we need competition for places to keep the first team on their toes and it doesn't look like this is happening with so many lads leaving etc.
i think the Gerathys are right they are two young players that should be getting matches, when you see Adrian Hynes and Parlon, Steven Wynne, getting pick ahead of them most days, its not as if the players that are pick instead of them are top class players some are worse

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Jesus townman that's an outrageous statement. I don't think it's right to be naming lads you feel shouldn't be playing or on the panel. The squad is in bad enough shape without you saying this lad or that lad shouldn't be playing. Geraghtys are two great young hurlers, it's a pity they can't commit and their reasons are completely up to them. There's no rule that states once selected for county duty you must answer the call. These lads probably want to dedicate more time to their studies, who knows and best of luck to them. But to personally name others you feel shouldn't be playing is very insulting.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

To be honest there's worse than townman talking absolute rot on this site the last few months. Real repetitive stuff about how the same players and same manager are not getting a fair crack. Around and around in circles.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Woeful stuff here! Tox , what are you trying to say in last line of your last post? ? Jaysus, will ye read before you send. Looks bad for Brian alright , but Offaly suffering from a raft of poor management over last 10 years at various levels.
Townman, way over the top on yer name and shame policy. Hard task playing county for Offaly without lads being slaughtered on a website. Few more of ye need to cop on too!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sorry. i will try to improve my grammar and spelling
“Common sense is not so common.”

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

And so to Plan B...
There's a range of issues beyond management that needs to be addressed; if Whelehan manages to stabilise the ship this year (which by all accounts here seems unlikely), what then?
Or if he walks away, or is given the P45?
Who is next- Danny Owens? And if it's not working for him, after the requisite pillorying, what then?
Some form of 3 year plan, with emphasis on minor to u21 grade needs to be implemented to identify areas that players can be improved and made more competitive- how to improve decision-making, how to utilise possession more effectively, and how to defend better. This is largely a coaching issue, but if it can be implemented and coordinated, it will mean a better standard of current player, and a better standard of replacement coming on-stream, so it all boils down to coaching.
At the risk of offending hurling people, similar to football, both games depend on creating, exploiting and reducing time and space, and the ability to execute skills within this framework is how to improve, to become competitive, and ultimately how to win.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The problem facing Offaly is not the need for a good manager. The problem is the clubs are unable to produce county hurlers that have the mental and physical skills needed to win. Offaly are now where Dublin were 10 years ago. Dublin got their act together, went away from those who played for the county and focused on getting those who were good at coaching under age teams to work on the county dev squads. The Offaly production line is the problem, not who happens to be the manager. Ye have good people who work for the county board. They are been held back in trying to do their work.

A man can only work with what he is given. From where Im looking, Offaly simply do not have the players to compete at Liam McCarthy level.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote:The problem facing Offaly is not the need for a good manager. The problem is the clubs are unable to produce county hurlers that have the mental and physical skills needed to win. Offaly are now where Dublin were 10 years ago. Dublin got their act together, went away from those who played for the county and focused on getting those who were good at coaching under age teams to work on the county dev squads. The Offaly production line is the problem, not who happens to be the manager. Ye have good people who work for the county board. They are been held back in trying to do their work.

A man can only work with what he is given. From where Im looking, Offaly simply do not have the players to compete at Liam McCarthy level.
I disagree, I feel they players have been let down by the county board over the last 10years. I think they players are there that can compete at a very high level if they right structures are in place, granted I don't think we would be winning leinsters or all-Ireland's but that we could be competitive enough to frighten big teams on any given day. At the moment realistically we would only expect to beat Westmeath, Antrim and Carlow. No disrespect to those counties but that's a very bad place we're in. We had two club teams winning Leinster championships in last few years, they players are there but the county scene is just so bad it's not appealing to players anymore, and who could blame them.

What I would have liked the CB to do would have been to put a young progressive management team in place that could build for the future, I'm thinking the two guys that managed the Clare u21's or why not try get Liam Sheedy in. I know finances are not great these days and the CB would use this and that excuse. What initiatives are the CB doing to generate revenue? What was done with the 40k from GAA to restore hurling in the county. It's actually becoming embarrassing to say your from offaly these days when back in the 80's and 90's we'd scream it from the rooftops!!

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

look lads we need to get the most out of our senior team ,there our shop window .if we go down to christy ring it will be even harder to get guy to comitte to offaly .
some of our best club hurlers are not involved , lads like
g healion d morkam c mahon b leonard k grogan d kilmartain p geraghty t geraghty con mahon c doughan d kelliher s gardner k connolly g coneelly and p cleary r hannify d hayden k brady j rigney are retired to add to our problems
all decent guys that love hurling as much as the guys in the 80 s or 90s but they will have notting to do with the current set up .
the county board need to get to the bottom of that first otherwise a lot of work will be wasted at underage .
if 4 or 5 guys had a problem it would be normal but there is clearly a big problem there and untill that is sorted offaly hurling is doomed in my opinion.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

ah l can speak for himself but I believe it's not your grammar and spelling he has an issue with.
Toxicity234 wrote:Sorry. i will try to improve my grammar and spelling
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

There’s alot in PJ’s statement here, and it sums up the effect of the problem. And I think everyone would agree there are major difficulties with the production line and how it is managed.

Evidence of this is that, last week when there was a full round of Fitzgibon Cup matches, only three Offaly hurlers featured for their respective colleges. That’s shocking. There are rural clubs around the country who had more than that. Because an Offaly chap who is the product of the Offaly development system is totally deficient in the skills required to participate in modern day hurling. Yes, they are good in the ground hurling drills (!), but they are neither backs nor forwards, and stuff like playing as part of a team (anticipation, reading the game, supporting a colleague who is surrounded) is new to them.

PJ’s point on the issue of mental skills is an interesting one and I would love if he would expand on this, if time etc. permits.
private joker wrote:The problem facing Offaly is not the need for a good manager. The problem is the clubs are unable to produce county hurlers that have the mental and physical skills needed to win. Offaly are now where Dublin were 10 years ago. Dublin got their act together, went away from those who played for the county and focused on getting those who were good at coaching under age teams to work on the county dev squads. The Offaly production line is the problem, not who happens to be the manager. Ye have good people who work for the county board. They are been held back in trying to do their work.

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

just on your point on we are where Dublin were 10 years ago, but you must remember the money that was pumped into underage hurling and hurling in Dublin, a kings ransome, also they had ex county hurlers from other countys over senior and underage teams in Dublin, Richard Stakelum Liam Hogan, Vinny Teehan, Nicky English, and theres alot more, as for our county board they are still living in the 80's.