2015 Walsh cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: 2015 Walsh cup

Post by kingscounty »

Absolute disgraceful performance from a very poor Offaly side. Laois will hammer us in 3 weeks time . Sean Ryan and Kiely were the only two hurlers who tried hard and never gave up. Our stick work was brutal bad and we could barley strike the ball a few yards at times. Galway hit some wonderful scores and could have won by even more in the second half only they took the foot off the gas in the second half. Glynn ran riot for Galway and no one could even step up and give him a good rattle to stop him. I know its only the Walsh cup but I can't see Offaly winning a game in the league hope I'm wrong but we are in serious trouble .

Don Hurley
Junior A

Post by Don Hurley »

Disappointing to watch. Perhaps Galway have a better selection of players but the same could be said of KK versus Shamrocks. The big difference is that KK played like a team that has good spirit and is well prepared albeit against a club team with 7 current or former all-stars and two ex players of the year (some club!). So why does the Offaly county team disappoint so much? In the second half five different Offaly players failed to catch easy uncontested high balls. A sure sign of players running low on confidence. The spirit of the team looks poor. Don't want to reignite the management issue and have always felt that Sid is the greatest player of the last 30 years or so, but he simply does not have the ingredients necessary to make the best of the players available.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

you wouldn't know where to start, at times in the first half it was like nowlan park in the summer all over again Galway players walking throughs offaly defence and scoring points for fun and not even a block coming in on the Galway players. first things first the blame lays at Sid as he is the man over this side this is his second year and we are poor as last year if not worse if you can get any worse than last year.

i do belive the talent is short in offaly theses times, but why in the name of jesus christ are offaly mangement playing players in their wrong poistions Colin Egan and Parlon are not defenders Stephen Wynne is not a midfielder Dan Currams is not a centre forward not strong enough or doesn't like been timber his a fullforward where he might get a goal, lets not forget this is his 6th year in with offaly and has scored only 1 goal in the championship make of that what you want but today as a captain he was cruel bad and he was just 1 of about 11 players that didn't want to know about it after Galway got their first goal.

i dont mind a team been beaten once they give 100 per cent and gave it everything on the field this offaly team didn't today or for the last 5 years. Cathal Parlon is in with offaly since 2005 why in the name of god is he still getting picked as a left half back the chap wasn't at the races today or won't be if he is there for the next 10 years his a forward and if not there the bench.

we are going into the league we have no fullback no centre back no midfield no centre forward, fair enough Carroll and Bergin were not playing today but they can go missing to on the big day and have. we will be in a play off again this year as i can't see where this team will pick up points in the league laois beat wexford by 9 points today they will beat that offaly side by as much if not more in the opening saturday night game in portlaoise, and as for the wexford,limerick, waterford games forget about it .

offaly fitness is brutal Cillian farrell and Gift Fox were brough in by the county board as fitness trainers and let me add are getting payed for in i don't know what they have been doing because a junior B team would be fitter if it was a day job they would be sacked. Galway were streets ahead of them in every level and skill of the game, but they have very good hurlers in Galway and there underage is top class with a few minors all ire;land winners from 2011 on board today and lets not forget they were unlucky in the under 21 semil final last year they have something to work with offaly have nothing.

only Stephen Egan Sean Ryan and young Cillian Kiely when he came on can hold their heads high after todays game, Shane Dooley miss 1-3 at least from place balls his penalty was a brutal effort and only one man in the goal, if Whelehan is to stay over this side the man has to play players in their right poistions not forwards as backs, Pat Camon was took off early today but i belive the lad has been sick during the week, there is some work to be done even before we can even give laois a game in a few weeks timeat this moment and time offaly hurling is in a poor place.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Don Hurley wrote:Disappointing to watch. Perhaps Galway have a better selection of players but the same could be said of KK versus Shamrocks. The big difference is that KK played like a team that has good spirit and is well prepared albeit against a club team with 7 current or former all-stars and two ex players of the year (some club!). So why does the Offaly county team disappoint so much? In the second half five different Offaly players failed to catch easy uncontested high balls. A sure sign of players running low on confidence. The spirit of the team looks poor. Don't want to reignite the management issue and have always felt that Sid is the greatest player of the last 30 years or so, but he simply does not have the ingredients necessary to make the best of the players available.
one of the worse players today was the captain Dan Currams Don, club and inter county hurling are worlds apart lets not go down this road again about if this that or the other was playing from k/k offaly would be back winning leinsters young Cillian Kiely is the only one who has stood out so far for k/k and he is in with offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Sid is far too mute on the line, Farrell was the one doing a bit of talking before the game and that didn't do much either . Egan was outstanding at wing forward a few year ago and was good target for our puck outs . Currams has to be full forward , Dooley I would leave on the line he got a handy goal thanks to Quirke doing the hard work . What is the story with Kenny and Del? Is Rigney finished ? Healion would have got stuck into Gylnn today , the talent might not be there but I firmly believe if we had a good manager in charge we would be more competitive .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Kenny might not be back as his knee is causing him problem's, Del i heard they were trying to get him back, as for Rigney and Healion i don't know but Ger Healion would be the best fullback in offaly at the moment but the lad will be 32 this year and i think offaly should be looking for someone who will be there for the next 10 years i don't think Shortt is the answer has been poor in the two walsh cup games i have seen, would Eanna Murphy not be worth a shot there, no centre back either but i think in the next few years Cillian Kiely will be the number 6 in an offaly jersey, James Rigney has been knocking around a good few years and he was really off the pace again kilkenny in the championship last year but in fairness so was the whole offaly team.

kingscounty Shane Dooley has an off day today still took his goal well and has in my opinion lost alot of weight from last year and is still one of the best forwards we have, if you took Carroll,Bergin, Dooley, out of that team we would be lucky to raise a flag.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

In fairness townman Dooley did lose a lot of weight , maybe harder ground and bit more hurling will stand to him , we are still struggling to find a reliable free taker to tho . I suppose it's easy to knock lads which I hate doing its just so frustrating to watch at times .

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

Parlon horendious Wynn not at the races Dooley poor Kinsella could not even pick up a ball even after 5 attempts
Egan corner back Sean Ryan Quirk Tom carroll and Dempsy in goal were probly the pick of the bunch the rest were only average god help us for the rest of the year things are not looking good Sid needs to get something going but i cant see it. Keily when he came on played well ,but he needs to get the nasty streak out of him or he will be taken care of he wont get away with it when teams get to know what he is like. young and nieve

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Kinsella did get it hard to pick the ball up his not a top class forward, but i tell you watching him today he never gave up during the 70 minutes and kept giving it everything he scored was it 2 points and won the penalty, tell you Currams could do with taking a leaf out of his book in how to play for the jersey.

Don Hurley
Junior A

Post by Don Hurley »

Townman, I think you misunderstand me. I agree that KK have few outstanding individuals. What they have is excellent morale and organisation as well as fitness. My point is that despite their lack of great individuals they nearly beat one of the best club teams ever. It is the sense of confidence and morale that KK have that is lacking in the county team, and this is something the manager is mainly responsible for. IMO Sid has lost confidence in himself and has lost the confidence of the players. He hasn't lost anyone's respect - its simply a matter of not having the necessary managerial qualities.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Don Hurley wrote:Townman, I think you misunderstand me. I agree that KK have few outstanding individuals. What they have is excellent morale and organisation as well as fitness. My point is that despite their lack of great individuals they nearly beat one of the best club teams ever. It is the sense of confidence and morale that KK have that is lacking in the county team, and this is something the manager is mainly responsible for. IMO Sid has lost confidence in himself and has lost the confidence of the players. He hasn't lost anyone's respect - its simply a matter of not having the necessary managerial qualities.
agree there i to don't think Sid has it to be a manger, but that is just half our problem the other half is not having the talent to work with and i belive even with Cody over them he wouldn't get that panel winning matches.

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

where has all the basic skills gone Galway were way ahead of us in the air and on the ground won all the dirty ball if you cant compete with them in these departments then we have to go back to doing the basics and go from their plus a lot more heart is needed.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

rocket 57 like some other posters here i have been watching offaly minors over the last 11 years or more and the skill and catching has gone out of offalys game, laois have beaten us the last 3 years in a row and our under 21's have been a shambles since the early 2000's. i do belive that when Shane Dooley, Joe Bergin. Brian Carroll, and Kenny are gone offaly will be Christy Ring level you might laugh but by right we should have went down and kerry came up in last years league i see nothing but a repeat in this years league run as we won't be winning any points. as someone said going out of tullamore today we are the bigger gobshites for going to watch this sh't every year.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

What is surprising is why you all are surprised with a result and performance like today. It's no surprise. Every aspect of Offaly hurling has been mismanaged for the past 15 years and to this very day continues to be the case.
You get what you deserve and that's exactly what's happening with Offaly hurling.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Offalys Future wrote:What is surprising is why you all are surprised with a result and performance like today. It's no surprise. Every aspect of Offaly hurling has been mismanaged for the past 15 years and to this very day continues to be the case.
You get what you deserve and that's exactly what's happening with Offaly hurling.
heres one thats not surprise with todays result and if the game had to go on 5 minutes longer again westmeath we wouldn't have won. what gets under my tits is the same players put in wrong poistions every year on the team and no matter how poor they are they still get picked for the next day, as i said in my last post our minor teams over the last 11 years or more are poor and the few good players we have now are off the under 21 teams that lost back to back leinsters.

i think k/k and Coolderrys winning of leinster club titles has cover up a lot of what is wrong in offaly hurling. and i also belive laois will hammer it home in the opening round of the league in portlaoise on how far we are back in the pack in leinster i'd go as far as to say there wouldn't be much between carlow and offaly right now, lets not forget Mount Leinster Rangers won a leinster club title to and carlow are as far away as ever from doing anything in inter county hurling.