2015 O' Byrne Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: 2015 O' Byrne Cup

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd expected this to be closer with Offaly having a very new look line up. Pleasantly surprised with the result.
A good start, though Gerry Cooney and Emmett McDonnell both had similar wins to launch their tenures.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I expect to see Offaly beat Maynooth next weekend and prepare for a semi final on Sunday week.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Goalkeeper Alan Mulhall stands out for Offaly against Laois

Two crucial saves lay platform for damage to be done at the other end in nine-point win

Offaly 2-12 Laois 0-9

A very solid performance saw Offaly win a battle of two experimental teams as they easily got the better of Laois in O’Connor Park on Sunday.

It was far easier than expected for Offaly, who worked harder than a disappointing Laois outfit and were not flattered by the winning margin.

A couple of outstanding saves from goalkeeper Alan Mulhall at a crucial stages of the second half may have kept the home side in the driving seat but there was no disputing the merit of their win and they did produce some very decent football in the closing 35 minutes.

Alan Mulhall saved brilliantly from Matt Campion and Evan O’Carroll, 12 and 17 minutes into the second half, and these allowed Offaly to pull away.

Laois had been struggling to find any decent momentum in the second half but those two stops seemed to knock the resistance out of them.

Offaly were 1-8 to 0-6 in front when O’Carroll’s shot was deflected out for a 45 and within a few minutes, they had the game in the bag.

William Mulhall and Jamie Evans put them seven clear and a goal of stunning quality from Bernard Allen, after a sensational William Mulhall pass, ended it as a contest in the 59th minute.

The game was 64 minutes old before Mark O’Halloran got Laois’s first point of the half and they never looked like salvaging the game.

It is very early in the season but new Offaly manager Pat Flanagan will have been pleased with the work rate and application of his side.

In a very tame first half, Offaly were steady and battled for everything. The decisive score was a goal from debutant Nigel Bracken 11 minutes from half time.

That gave Offaly a 1-4 to 0-3 lead and they went on to lead by 1-4 to 0-6 at half time.

OFFALY: A Mulhall; D Brady, P McConway, J O’Connor; C Kiely, J Moloney (0-1), D Hogan; G Guilfoyle (0-1), R Allen (0-1); K Mullally, M Young, N Bracken (1-0); B Allen (1-3, 2f), N Dunne (0-1), W Mulhall (0-3, 3f). Subs - P Sullivan for Young (32m), D Kelly (0-1, f) for Guilfoyle (50m), J Evans (0-1) for Mullally (55m), B Crombie for Kiely (62m), M Dempsey for Allen (65m), J Geraghty for Hogan (67m).

LAOIS: E Culliton; A Campion, P McMahon, G Hanrahan; D Strong, P Begley, J O’Loughlin (0-2); K Meaney, J Finn; R Munnelly (0-1), E O’Carroll, B Ging (0-1); G Dillon (0-1, f), P McEvoy, C Kelly (0-2, 2f). Subs - M Campion for O’Loughlin (Black card, 33m), N Murphy (0-1) for Munnelly (55m), C Booth for Meaney (58m), G McEvoy for Strong (60m), M O’Halloran (0-1) for O’Carroll (62m), NMullen for Kelly (68m).

Referee: F Barry (Kildare).

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic- ... -1.2054220

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I know people say that this is only the O'Byrne Cup and not to get carried away, well, I for one am getting carried away. I think that a win like this is a great victory for the team, let the good times roll and the party begin. Big night in Clara tonight. Tubber tomorrow night and then on to Rhode on Wednesday. We'll drink for a week!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:A good start, though Gerry Cooney and Emmett McDonnell both had similar wins to launch their tenures.
True. However this time around we have a manager of proven quality at this level. Him bringing Westmeath from Division 3 to Division 1 in just two seasons shows he knows his stuff and if he could take Offaly into division 2 over the course of the next 4 year that would be fantastic. I honestly think we could be pleasantly surprised and I expect Pat to take us from being a holy show to being competitive again.
He's the first manager we've had in either code in a good while with proven ability who isn't just chancing his arm like the last few football managers we've had.

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

It was a solid start. To get a win was huge. Dublin will test them on Wednesday night. it will be interesting to see how they get on, i for one will be cheering them on. :D :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Laois weren't unduly tuned in for this game so if Offaly had played for the full seventy as they did in the first half and limped over the line by a point or two, my verdict would be a resounding "Meh". However they played with great vigour and intent after the restart and scored 1-6 without reply from half time up until Bernard Allen's quite stunning goal that killed Laois off for good, so praise was earned. Graham Guilfoyle carried his good club form from this summer into the county scene and while he coughed up a few possessions, he was very effective in adding value today, not just carrying the ball with no great intent. The Gracefield trio of Mullally, Ruairí Allen and Ciarán Kiely put in some great hits and really got stuck into their tackles, all three full back line players were completely on top of their men and the sheer refusal to be beaten that Nigel Bracken displayed for his goal was excellent.

The star of the show for me however was Bernard Allen up front, who made a mockery of his exclusion last year. He was dangerous on the ball, took his scores brilliantly and kept his head up even as he was being given some really daft balls altogether.

There were some dodgy moments and two Alan Mulhall saves were crucial, but overall, if we take that form into the first few weeks of the league, I'd be confident we'd get the four points we need against London and Waterford and so set up a real promotion tilt. Far too early to get carried away (sorry llkj!), but a good start by Flanagan and the players overall.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Lone Shark wrote: The Gracefield trio of Mullally, Ruairí Allen and Ciarán Kiely put in some great hits and really got stuck into their tackles
O' Byrne cup or not, Id expect nothing else from any Gracefield player when they see the blues.

It was an important win for confidence. When I saw the team named I was a bit worried and still am regarding the strenght of the squad but they went out and gave it a go and that's all that can be asked of them.

McConway is playing very well. Still one of the top players in the county. He has alot of football in him. whether or not his best position is full back I am not sure but Offaly need him fit and on form.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

timber wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
McConway is playing very well. Still one of the top players in the county. He has alot of football in him. whether or not his best position is full back I am not sure but Offaly need him fit and on form.
I don't know if McConway's best position is full back, but right now I'd say Offaly's best full back is McConway. Eoin Rigney had a good year and might contest the spot, but I'd be surprised if anyone other than Paul wears 3 in the championship, injury permitting of course.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

HT Offaly 0-10 Dubs 0-7 keep it lit lads great display so far all 6 forwards scored i belive in the first half
big differ from McDonnells regin.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Halftime

Offaly 0-10
Dublin 0-7
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Full Time

Dublin 0-17
Offaly 0-13

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well done great display tonight even if it was a defeat but things are going the right way so far and it looks like we could have a good league run when we have a full hand to play with. i see our neighbours leix got another lesson tonight in the other game a win on sunday should see us through should'nt it.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

The game will be a test if results are anything to go by.

Not in a position to say what Laois brought to this game regarding personnel or approach, but the students did a job on them it seems.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well they had Brendan Quiley and Donie Kingston Munnelly, Darren Strong got two yellow cards in the first half they didn't score from play untill the 62 minute, should be a good game sunday and offalys new players will learn from tonights game it's all about getting a good panel for the league.