Kilcormac players in Offaly Squad

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Up The Faithful
Junior A

Kilcormac players in Offaly Squad

Post by Up The Faithful »

So the training squad at the moment is...
Paddy Murphy (Ballinamere)
Colin Egan (Belmont)
Chris McDonald (Brosna Gaels)
Seán Cleary (Shinrone), Michael Cleary (Shinrone)
Shane Dooley (Tullamore), Niall Houlihan (Tullamore), Stephen Egan (Tullamore), Gareth Mann (Tullamore)
Seán Ryan (Birr), Brendan Murphy (Birr), Emmet Nolan (Birr), Colm Mulrooney (Birr)
Brian Carroll (Coolderry), Cathal Parlon (Coolderry), Kevin Connolly (Coolderry), David King (Coolderry)
James Dempsey (Kinnitty), Kevin O’Connor (Kinnitty), Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty), James Rigney (Kinnitty)
Joe Bergin (Seir Kieran), Adrian Hynes (Seir Kieran), Brian Mulrooney (Seir Kieran), James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran), Eanna Murphy (Seir Kieran), Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran)
Stephen Quirke (St Rynagh's), Stephen Wynne (St Rynagh's), Niall Wynne (St Rynagh's), Pat Camon (St Rynaghs), Joseph O’Connor (St Rynagh's), Conor Clancy (St Rynagh's), Dermot Shortt (St Rynagh's)
(34)
Personally I believe Brian could add at least 7 Kilcormac players...Conor Slevin pulled off a brilliant double save today. Ger Healion he was the rock in the Kilcormac defence and brings a big level of physicality. The whole half forward line of Kilcormac Cillian Kiely played great today only 18 and didnt look out of place, Slevin picked off some nice points from play had an off day on the frees (Walked off panel last year) Conor Mahon is a big presence in the air and wears his heart on his sleeve was a torn in Fennellys side all day. Dan Currams has to be in the panel always has that eye for goal and his clinical. Peter Geraghty also has to be in the panel quick and dangerous can only improve .
Views??

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Kilcormac players in Offaly Squad

Post by sam88885a »

looking at the current panel i dont see any men there is no lads there that would stand up to c fennely t j reid or h shefflin .
all i see is light lads that would spend most of their time on their ass when the game gets physical .
i cant understand why we dont pick a few men down the middle .
look at u against kilkenny last rory hannify at full back and d morkam at centre back .
both lovely hurlers but neither would put a 14 year old on his ass with a shoulder .

if i was picking an offaly team and every one was avable i pick a team like this

1 j demsey
2 e nolan
3 g healion
4 d shortt
5 k grogan
6 d kelliher
7 b leonard
8 d kilmartain
9 c egan
10 b carroll
11 c mahon
12 p murphy
13 s quirke
14 j bergin
15 d currams

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:looking at the current panel i dont see any men there is no lads there that would stand up to c fennely t j reid or h shefflin .
all i see is light lads that would spend most of their time on their ass when the game gets physical .
i cant understand why we dont pick a few men down the middle .
look at u against kilkenny last rory hannify at full back and d morkam at centre back .
both lovely hurlers but neither would put a 14 year old on his ass with a shoulder .

if i was picking an offaly team and every one was avable i pick a team like this

1 j demsey
2 e nolan
3 g healion
4 d shortt
5 k grogan
6 d kelliher
7 b leonard
8 d kilmartain
9 c egan
10 b carroll
11 c mahon
12 p murphy
13 s quirke
14 j bergin
15 d currams
thats all well and good putting lads on their arse this time of year, but come the summer when the ground is hard and the ball is flying i don't think the number 3 or 6 that you picked would have the pace to hit a top class forward in full flow. fair enough Hanniffy and Morkam are not big men but they did have pace for summer hurling i don't think if both Healion and Kellegher were 3 and 6 this year again kilkenny there wouldn't have been much different to the score board. our two corner backs were took to the cleaners after 20 minutes in that game.

that foward line besides Mahon wouldn't be knowed for putting backs on their arse either.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i wont agree townman we are over worried about pace . the only time we did conceed a goal against kilkenny in recent times was last year when kenny was full back and healion was centre back .kilkenny could not run through offaly centre that day .
it a balance put the power in the middle and the pace around them

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I presume you mean 'didn't' and not 'did'. That being the case, the main reason Offaly didn't concede a goal that day was because Offaly fouled Kilkenny out the field and didn't let them near the goals. In the second half Kilkenny moved up a gear, pulled the Offaly centre half-back out of position, ran through the vacant middle and picked off the points from around the 45m mark. This is quite evident during the third quarter of the game. And the Offaly centre half-back had some difficulty making up ground to support his wing-backs when the ball was breaking.
sam88885a wrote:i wont agree townman we are over worried about pace . the only time we did conceed a goal against kilkenny in recent times was last year when kenny was full back and healion was centre back .kilkenny could not run through offaly centre that day .
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I presume you mean 'didn't' and not 'did'. That being the case, the main reason Offaly didn't concede a goal that day was because Offaly fouled Kilkenny out the field and didn't let them near the goals. In the second half Kilkenny moved up a gear, pulled the Offaly centre half-back out of position, ran through the vacant middle and picked off the points from around the 45m mark. This is quite evident during the third quarter of the game. And the Offaly centre half-back had some difficulty making up ground to support his wing-backs when the ball was breaking.
sam88885a wrote:i wont agree townman we are over worried about pace . the only time we did conceed a goal against kilkenny in recent times was last year when kenny was full back and healion was centre back .kilkenny could not run through offaly centre that day .
Yeah your correct that the Centre back was trying to cover too much space.
That because the Midfield was M.I.A. Can't blame The Centre Back without looking at where the space is coming from.
It better to give away frees than Goals and Kilkenny are excellent at "winning a free"
“Common sense is not so common.”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Toxicity234 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I presume you mean 'didn't' and not 'did'. That being the case, the main reason Offaly didn't concede a goal that day was because Offaly fouled Kilkenny out the field and didn't let them near the goals. In the second half Kilkenny moved up a gear, pulled the Offaly centre half-back out of position, ran through the vacant middle and picked off the points from around the 45m mark. This is quite evident during the third quarter of the game. And the Offaly centre half-back had some difficulty making up ground to support his wing-backs when the ball was breaking.
That because the Midfield was M.I.A. Can't blame The Centre Back without looking at where the space is coming from.
It better to give away frees than Goals and Kilkenny are excellent at "winning a free"
I’m not sure Offaly were hard done by as regards the fouls and frees. Kilkenny might have gotten a couple of easy ones, but this was to compensate for the ref not reducing Offaly to 14 men early on.
But yes, in the absence of a black card in hurling, fouling out the field to prevent goal chances developing is often a wise gameplan.
One might argue that Baker’s approach in 2013, although crude yielded a better outcome than Whelahan’s more sporting, non-fouling approach in Nowlan Park this year, where James Dempsey’s heroics stopped Kilkenny reaching a double figure goal tally.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The centre half-back had the same space to cover as a centre half-back generally does when playing a high calibre opposition - he just couldn't make it to the breakdown in time.
The same thing happened last Sunday. The Kilcormac midfield had their own job to do and weren't able to offer the usual support to their half-backs. Also, the rucks were less frequent and of less duration than in the Shemaliers game.
It's better to get to the ball first than to give away frees.
Toxicity234 wrote:

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

poth
i think kk midfield did very well last sunday untill both c kiely and d kilmartain went off injuryed and k leonard had to go wing back because of g healions injury .tj reid went to midfield and started to pull the strings out there .
i dont think that would have happened if kilmartain and kiely were able to contiue and grogan was at wing back and healion at full back .
those 3 guys are as important to kk as m fennelly chat fitzs and c fennelly are to ballyhale at least .
kk only lost by for 4 point without them so it unfair to suggest that kk were found out in injury time .ballyhale got lucky and the know it too .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

agree k/k were the better team in 60minutes, but the lost of kilmartin, Healion, and young Kiely took some hard belts in that game. but the missed frees killed them, and you could sense Ballyhale knew they were off the hook going into extra time. i think if Currams the one he bat over the bar had to hit the net they would have went on to closed it out as they had Ballyhale on their knees at that stage of the game and were well on top plus Ballyhale got two soft frees to keep them in it one was for Brian Leonards hurl hitting Shefflians foot as the ball was on the ground who he was got him that free .

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

just watch it on tg4 player .
the missed frees were killers , the hurled ballyhale off the field for most of the second half but didnt put it on the score board .ballyhale we only hanging on during the last 20 minutes of normal time .
dan scored a scrappy goal and had a great chance for a second but batted it just over. c mahon had a good chance but didnt connect properly on the ground stroke .
after watching it i have to say if kk took their chances the would have won by 7 or 8 point in normal time .
but the didnt and ballyhale took there chance in injury time .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Would people stop picking teams with Paddy Murphy at left half-forward. Yes, Paddy had a great year for Ballinamere, yes he has potential and yes he deserves to be in the Offaly squad. But because of his preference for turning infield to strike off his left he can only be considered for the right side of the attack.