Appearance Fee for a County Man?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
This Year's Model
Junior B

Appearance Fee for a County Man?

Post by This Year's Model »

(This is a serious question)

What do you think would be reasonable expenses for an Offaly County Man (reasonably high profile) to come and do a medal presentation to an Offaly Club?

Say he had to make a round trip of 70 miles ....

Thanks!

jimbob17
All Star

Re: Appearance Fee for a County Man?

Post by jimbob17 »

No more than 150 euro id say. What has any county player from Offaly done or achieved in the last ten years to warrant any more than that. Should do it for free if you ask me...... Any of the Kilkenny boys will do it for free in Kilkenny!!!
jimbob

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Would a kid or adult even know an offaly county footballer or hurler nowadays if they stood in front of them...like their hardly celebrities around the county?

I'd say keep the clubs or your own €150 & do something for the people getting presented with the medals, no one would remember who handed them a medal, but they probably would remember a nice gesture from their club!!
The Untouchable

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

if he ask for money tell him to stay at home .
b cody or any of the kilkenny guys dont take money not even for fuel. its the same story in kerry players dont take money .

there are all stars in this county who would be honoured to be asked and dont want money but never have been asked because they are not high profile .

they same elite group of player get asked all the time and are bleeding club dry of scarce resources that should be going into underage teams .
clubs are to blame for giving these guys money

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Ah yeh, great lads here!

Kilkenny and Kerry players know well which side their bread is buttered on, clubs and supporters are digging deep in order to pay for the team holidays and raising hundreds of thousands for training funds so they are well compensated for missing work, training weekends etc. These guys know they are well looked after and its a part of the PR exercise to keep the band wagon going.
Clubs in this county have no issue with paying up to 10k per annum for average coaches.

What is wrong with offering an Offaly hurler or footballer a few bob expenses, or a clothes voucher as thanks for giving up their time, which they give up in spades during the year for training and matched for little thanks.

Jaysus, some of ye think ye own the players.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

great post ah lethimoutwithit not a word about there time running around in the mud and shit and the time they give up every weekend let it be matches or training. as for cody not asked for money i know for a fact he is well looked after by the kilkenny county board every year.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If you’re getting a player to come out of his way, then I’d say petrol should be covered and food supplied as well.
After that, I’d say work out some sort of gesture. As suggested, vouchers being a good idea, if all parties aren’t comfortable with the cash idea.
A sports shop voucher which may help cover some of the cost of equipment that players invariably incur, but don’t necessarily get to expense.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Kilkenny and Kerry players know well which side their bread is buttered on, clubs and supporters are digging deep in order to pay for the team holidays and raising hundreds of thousands for training funds so they are well compensated for missing work, training weekends etc. These guys know they are well looked after and its a part of the PR exercise to keep the band wagon going.
Clubs in this county have no issue with paying up to 10k per annum for average coaches.
Some high profile players have gotten smart about this and realise that looking for fees isn’t ideal for reputation building.
About a decade ago, at the height of the GPA’s push for pay for play, certain high profile county teams had players looking for steep enough appearance fees and got a bit of a backlash because of it.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

lads its not about a guy getting a few bob for fuel, a meal and his time no one has a problem with that .
its not about training in muck and shite either townman ,every club player does that too .
there are some guys who ask huge money for apperance fees .
i rember a certain cork player asking for apperance fee in cork city to open a shop a few years ago . paul o connoll opened the shop for a fraction of the price that this gaa star wanted .
there is a certain former offaly hurler who aint shy about asking for money even if it was to go 20 miles out the road .

i know tommy walsh has given out medals in offaly and was honoured to be asked and didnt take a cent . he view was sure it was done for him as a chap its my turn now .
it fine to cover a guys expences but clubs dont have money to waist on former players , putting it into young lads or bring them to see rhode or kk as a day out.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

sam88885a wrote:there is a certain former offaly hurler who aint shy about asking for money even if it was to go 20 miles out the road .
I wonder who that is!!! :shock:

Think its ridiculous players asking for money to hand out medals. If I was a county player I'd be honored to present medals to young players. Fair enough I wouldn't mind a meal afterwards or something small as a gesture but if they offered me something that profited me then I would turn it down. Just dont see how county players try to make money out of it. They were once that young lad getting his medal and looking up in awe at the county player presenting it.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

The players devote 4/5 nights a week for eight months a year to Offaly plus weekends, and some of you are begrudging them a small few bob. Cop on
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Ok seriously if you were a 15/16 year old footballer what current offaly player would you be aspiring to be? Same thing for the hurlers? Beyond Niall McNamee, Alan Mulhall or Rory Hannify i'd be struggling to think of anyone else a young player might know or want to meet!!

The only thing a current Offaly hurler could tell young players is how to "train" all year yet never get fit, or what it was like watching Tipp & Kilkenny players in action.

Players get expenses to train all year so getting asked to present medals to young players shouldn't be something players should be charging clubs for!!

To me clubs should look within, get a good club man to present the players medals, someone who'd be honoured to be asked to do it, as I said before spend the money on the players if your desperate to give €150 away.
The Untouchable

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

we had a player from another county return the expenses the club gave him.
he was embarrassed to get anything
only the best...

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

i know of a kerry footballer who was asked to step in to do a full days coaching with an underage developement squad when the preferred guy from cork couldnt make it .
the kerry guy did as excellent job and refused the money which was the normal amount that the cork guy got every year ,we not talking about a few hundreds either .
so a decision was made to post the money with a thank u note to him but it was sent back by return post stating that he was honoured to help and the he would not take any money but if they had no other use for the money he suggested they should give it to a local charity.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Top man whoever he is