Shamrocks in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mr X
Junior C
Club: Birr

Shamrocks in Leinster - 2014

Post by Mr X »

Big game for shamrocks on Saturday in O Connor Park against the kilkenny champions Bennettsbridge in the Leinster junior club final. Shamrocks have been impressive all year and have gotten to this stage at their ease. Going on Ballinamere's success last year I'm sure they have a great chance of bringing home the silverware and hopefully the start of a good weekend for Offaly hurling up against 2 Kilkenny teams.

How does everyone else rate their chances and anyone know much about the Kilkenny champions?

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Shamrocks in Leinster - 2014

Post by sam88885a »

i have heard that bennetsbridge have a number all ireland minors on the team and that they are one of the up and coming team in kilkenny ..
if shamrocks go man for man like any game it wil be 50 /50 .shamrocks may have an edge in power .
i hope they dont stand off bennetsbridge and watch them hurl because if the do they will loose .
i dont think that will happen , make it a man game and we could have a second leinster title in a week .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bennetsbridge are a fine young team who have a great history in kilkenny hurling they are 3rd on the roll of honour with 12 senior titles, its a small place with a green with houses that holds some amount of all irelands medals around with it been Noel Skehan country. they had the best minor this year in Liam Blanchfield and is one to watch, but like every kilkenny team from number 1 to 15 they all can hurl. Shamrocks should give them a good run pity Derek Molloy is missing he would be a big plus in a game like this.

Mr X
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by Mr X »

Sounds like it's shaping up to be to a great game. I heard during the week that Derek Molloy was back in training so he could yet make an appearance? Shamrocks play a nice brand of hurling so they should take some stopping if they have a clean bill of health.

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

The very best if luck to Shamrocks on Saturday......hope they get a good crowd from around the county out to suppor them....iit woukd be a great boost if we could beat two Kilkenny teams in Leinster finals over the weekend

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Yes the very best of luck to all involved from shamrocks. Its going to be their toughest challenge this year without question. The intermediate championship in Offaly was weak and Shamrocks had a good performance in the final against a disappointing Rynaghs side. The games against Clontarf (Dublin junior champions) and Carlow and Westmeath intermediate champions were nice games to have but lacked a real contest although they struggled against Clontarf for long periods. Bennettsbridge will be a different breed altogether.

Can Shamrocks win it, yes why not. But they are going to have to play very aggressive and stick in there when the Bennettsbridge take a bit of a lead. I think this is a good young Kilkenny team that have had a good year winning the league and finally winning a junior championship at the third attempt on the trot. Last year Lisdowney beat them who were later beaten by Ballinamere/Durrow.
They are obviously making progress. They won the U21B last year and opened their account in the "A" grade last weekend beating St Lachtains. Their team includes 9 u21s. 4 played for Kilkenny against Wexford this year when they were beaten by 10 points.
They hammered the Meath and wexford club champions on route to this final.

They may be getting into a winning habit this year, but they also know plenty about losing. Shamrocks have to bring it to them and keep at them, keep putting those doubts there.

Nick Cleere is a very good free taker and Morrissey and Lannon pose the major scoring threat from play. If Shamrocks can cut out the easy frees and curtail those key men they will be in with a shout. But stand back and let them hurl and there will be only one result.
Molloy will likely get a game with Kearney away so a big performance from him will be needed.

The very best of luck to the lads.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Is Trevor Darcy still suspended for this? Huge loss if so.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Lone Shark wrote:Is Trevor Darcy still suspended for this? Huge loss if so.

He received two yellow cards in the match with St Brigid's of Westmeath in the semi final so he won't be suspended. Had a very good game that day, a very reliable free taker.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Correct, Darcy received two yellows and heard this morning from a Shamrocks man that Molloy isn't back.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

The mentality has to change.
Offaly should be entering in the Leinster Intermediate Championship and not the Junior.

In my opinion this sends out the wrong message to our players. We are not inferior to Kilkenny.
Intermediate players play at intermediate level and Junior players play at Junior Level.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Bennettsbridge are an Excellent Team but they nothing Shamrock can't handle.
Shamrock are an Excellent team as well.
Best of Luck to Shamrock.
If Ballinamere can beat the best in Leinster Last year they no reason Why Shamrock can't do it this year.
“Common sense is not so common.”

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Toxicity234 wrote:Bennettsbridge are an Excellent Team but they nothing Shamrock can't handle.
Shamrock are an Excellent team as well.
Best of Luck to Shamrock.
If Ballinamere can beat the best in Leinster Last year they no reason Why Shamrock can't do it this year.
Shamrocks have made progress this year after a number of very poor seasons. the last two years in particular have been very disappointing. I think the management have done an excellent job getting the max out of whats at their disposal. Getting back to senior was absolutely vital and they have achieved that goal. This is bonus territory and will benefit them hopefully for next season back in senior. Plenty of work done but so much more to do.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Offalys Future wrote:The mentality has to change.
Offaly should be entering in the Leinster Intermediate Championship and not the Junior.

In my opinion this sends out the wrong message to our players. We are not inferior to Kilkenny.
Intermediate players play at intermediate level and Junior players play at Junior Level.
Ballinamere's win over Lisdowney was the first win by any Offaly team over the Kilkenny JHC champions in the history of this competition, while heavy defeats (Lusmagh vs Thomastown, Drumcullen vs John Lockes, Brosna Gaels vs St Patricks) were frequent. So while it's nice to say that we are not inferior to Kilkenny, I think results would suggest otherwise. When an Offaly club wins the All Ireland Junior title, then our clubs will play at intermediate, and that's the way it should be - earn their way up on the field of play.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Post by onthefence »

best of luck to shamrocks on Sunday, I have seen them a few times this year and if they can maintain there work rate around the middle tired of the field they have a chance. There striking and movement in the forward line will have to be upped but they do seem to have ability to make improvements as 5 out of the 6 forwards are very young.

have to agree with LS, an Offaly club will have to win a Junior All Ireland be4 they can complete at intermediate and at the moment Kilkenny intermediate hurling is very strong and would probably beat 7 or 8 of our senior clubs in Offaly unfortunately

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Lone Shark wrote:
Offalys Future wrote:The mentality has to change.

Ballinamere's win over Lisdowney was the first win by any Offaly team over the Kilkenny JHC champions in the history of this competition, while heavy defeats (Lusmagh vs Thomastown, Drumcullen vs John Lockes, Brosna Gaels vs St Patricks) were frequent. So while it's nice to say that we are not inferior to Kilkenny, I think results would suggest otherwise. When an Offaly club wins the All Ireland Junior title, then our clubs will play at intermediate, and that's the way it should be - earn their way up on the field of play.
In my opinion you should play at the level you are graded.
Shamrocks players are intermediate they should play intermediate. If that's not the case then GAA should do like other sports and have grading the same throughout the country. If the Leinster council deem that Offaly dont have intermediate hurlers then we shouldn't have an intermediate championship.

BTW if you applied the same logic that you are suggesting to the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Offaly would be playing in the Christy Ring Cup!
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "