Offaly Club Teams of the Year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DeManFromFerbane
Junior C
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Club Teams of the Year

Post by DeManFromFerbane »

Well you talk about players who are undeserved and your sceptical view on the Junior Team of The Year why are you questioning their ability and how much do you know about them from what you have saw ?

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

DeManFromFerbane wrote:Well you talk about players who are undeserved and your sceptical view on the Junior Team of The Year why are you questioning their ability and how much do you know about them from what you have saw ?
Well if you read it back, you’ll find that I never questioned anyone’s ability. Well, with the possible exception of Kevin Corrigan’s observational ability maybe. In fact, I think you’ll find a sentence in my earlier post which reads “I don’t for one second question Sean Ryan’s ability as a footballer and he could be the best player playing in the Junior championship”. The inclusion of the two Birr players (Ryan & Verney) was the main target of my post. I didn’t mention any other player in a negative light.

You questioned how many Junior games I was at this year too. I was definitely at 10 championship games, possibly even 11, including every game in the knockout stages of the championship. However, I was not at any of Birr’s games. But I have been reliably informed that Sean Ryan was black-carded after only 20 minutes of the 1st half against Killeigh in the only game Birr actually won in the championship this year, adding further bewilderment as to his inclusion. On top of that, Michael Verney didn’t even play in that game (apparently…..so I’ve been told)! Do these players merit a place on the Junior club team of the year? I cant see how they do. Maybe I’m missing something. I just want to know if there is anyone here who can say that without any doubt that they do deserve their place.

You’ve suggested that I’m clueless too. Clueless about a lot, I may be. But clueless about club football in this great county of ours, I am not. I might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I try to come on here and create intelligent and fair debate if possible. If I’m failing at that, then I’ll accept that and move on to the next thread that takes my interest and so on.

If you’re picking a team of the year, then pick a team of the year. Don’t pick a team of the best 15 available players in Junior football. Sure if we applied that criteria to the All-Stars, should the Gooch get one every year? Or Joe Canning? Or ‘insert modern great here’.

DeManFromFerbane
Junior C

Fair enough HSM you make a valid point but, I think the Junior Team of the Year is fairly picked perhaps maybe Liam Brennan and Danny Mangan in there but, apart from them two it is quiet fair. Who do you reckon is in the shake up for next years Junior ? 2 horse race for me between Ballycommon and Clonbollouge, two youngish team especially Ballycommon with one offaly minor, 2 offaly 21's and one senior intercounty hurler (Gareth Mann) and they have a few young lads in with seniors at the moment too, while Clonbulloge similarly with two minors, 2 on the 21's and Greg Quinn in with the seniors. Perhaps my own Ferbane will challenge more this coming year too giving the recent sucess at underage its merits will pay off soon ! Kilconfert surely have a point to prove after relegation and obviously Birr Clara and Clonmore!

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

DeManFromFerbane wrote:Fair enough HSM you make a valid point but, I think the Junior Team of the Year is fairly picked perhaps maybe Liam Brennan and Danny Mangan in there but, apart from them two it is quiet fair. Who do you reckon is in the shake up for next years Junior ? 2 horse race for me between Ballycommon and Clonbollouge, two youngish team especially Ballycommon with one offaly minor, 2 offaly 21's and one senior intercounty hurler (Gareth Mann) and they have a few young lads in with seniors at the moment too, while Clonbulloge similarly with two minors, 2 on the 21's and Greg Quinn in with the seniors. Perhaps my own Ferbane will challenge more this coming year too giving the recent sucess at underage its merits will pay off soon ! Kilconfert surely have a point to prove after relegation and obviously Birr Clara and Clonmore!
Who are the young ballycommon lads in with seniors? I think Clonbullogue only have one offaly Minor and dont think they have any U21 Players and Greg Quinn was in with the Seniors 2 years ago as far as I know. Def Between Ballycommon, Clonbullogue and Kilclonfert

DeManFromFerbane
Junior C

Young Dempsey in with offaly minor from ballycommon .. keiran maher and cian o neil with offaly minor from clonbolg .. i thought Lee Dempsey was in with the 21s ? .. and matt dempsey and tom mealiff were in with seniors from bcommon but dont know about mealiff , dempsey still in there anyway

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

HSM you are correct in saying Sean Ryan got a black card after 20 minutes and Michael Verney did not play in that game either.

High School Musical
All Star

DeManFromFerbane wrote:Fair enough HSM you make a valid point but, I think the Junior Team of the Year is fairly picked perhaps maybe Liam Brennan and Danny Mangan in there but, apart from them two it is quiet fair.
Danny Mangan could probably have made it if he hadn’t picked up the injury in the drawn semi-final, assuming he’d continued playing as well as he had been. But he did miss some group games too. Liam Brennan is more debatable. A lot is expected of Liam in Daingean and meeting the standards expected of him is something he doesn’t always achieve. I agree with Ah lethimoutwithit’s assessment somewhat, in that he wasn’t playing particularly well for a lot of the season, but he was coming into good form from what he produced in the semi-final(s). We can never know for sure whether or not he would have had a positive or negative influence on the team had he played the final. To be honest, I wouldn’t have either of them in the final team of the year considering they missed some key games, most notably the final.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Anyone have the Senior Team that was picked?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

High School Musical
All Star

DeManFromFerbane wrote:Who do you reckon is in the shake up for next years Junior ? 2 horse race for me between Ballycommon and Clonbollouge, two youngish team especially Ballycommon with one offaly minor, 2 offaly 21's and one senior intercounty hurler (Gareth Mann) and they have a few young lads in with seniors at the moment too, while Clonbulloge similarly with two minors, 2 on the 21's and Greg Quinn in with the seniors. Perhaps my own Ferbane will challenge more this coming year too giving the recent sucess at underage its merits will pay off soon ! Kilconfert surely have a point to prove after relegation and obviously Birr Clara and Clonmore!
Too early to say really about next year. The winter & early-spring can change a lot of teams.
But I imagine the shackles might be let off Clonbullogue in 2015 if they’ve gotten rid of Laz Molloy. They probably feel that the championship got away from them this year, due in part (a large part) to Laz and his gameplan.
Kilclonfert have been in decline for a good while now and I’m actually surprised they weren’t relegated a season or two earlier. In saying that, Junior is a step down from intermediate and a lot of the teams at the lower end of this championship are pretty poor, so I don’t think it would take much for Kilclonfert to make the knockout stage. Once there, they will be tough to beat. They are a dogged and resolute team and definitely wont fear the likes of Clonbullogue.
Clonmore Harps are limited, but they should make the knockout stages again. I’d be massively surprised if they found themselves in the final though
Ballycommon look dangerous. A good solid young team with another year of experience under their belt now. They are probably the most up and coming team in this grade.
I cant see Birr improving that much to be honest. Hurling will always take precedence down there, so they’ll end up with the same problems that they face year on year. Then again, I really don’t know anything about Birr so I’d be best advised to say nothing at all about them.
The second-string teams of Ferbane, Clara and Tullamore especially could be the real dangers. Edenderry have had a number of good underage teams in recent years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if their second team became a little more competitive in the championship.
Gracefield, Ballinagar, Tubber, Ballycumber & Killeigh are unlikely to feature in the shake-up.
If I was to put money on it, I’d throw my 50 cent on Ballycommon.

Offalyman1234
Junior C

Post by Offalyman1234 »

Can someone please post the senior and intermediete teams of the year?