Still no Minor Football Management selected yet??

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Still no Minor Football Management selected yet??

Post by townman »

well done to Ferbane/Belmont on sunday on winning the leinster club minor title it went to extra-time.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Can any of ye good offaly football men tell me if any gallen cs players lined out for offaly today in the leinster minor league? I m not looking for player info, just seeing if our lads - carlow cbs playing gallen in leinster semi on tue, were treated the same as your lads.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

old yellar wrote:Can any of ye good offaly football men tell me if any gallen cs players lined out for offaly today in the leinster minor league? I m not looking for player info, just seeing if our lads - carlow cbs playing gallen in leinster semi on tue, were treated the same as your lads.

8 of the Gallen players started for Offaly and 5 others came on as subs
Doon exile....

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Thanks doon exile. Same boat so. Hard on the lads on both sides playing matches so close. May the best team.win!

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

The Offaly minor footbllers were supposed to be decent this year but heard recently they are down some of their better players with a midfielder from last year who isnt playing this year and a few few long term injuries and some walkouts from some of their stronger players recently from the Rhode club. Heard they lost heavily in challenges to Tipperary and Laois recently. With Dublin up in the first round they will be up against it to make any inroads again this year................
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Minor football team playing Dublin on Saturday in first round...... Not a whole lot expected but if they give a good account of themselves after that demolishing last year, its as much as we can really hope for..... they have'nt exactly set the world alight with recent losses to Tipperary and Laois in challenge games...... They were decent enough at U16 but missing a good few of that crop from what I read in the Tribune...... A solid performance and a run through back door is as much as we can hope for i'd say.........Lets hope it isnt like last year..........team is here on the H Stand.......http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235558
jimbob

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

jimbob17 wrote:Minor football team playing Dublin on Saturday in first round...... Not a whole lot expected but if they give a good account of themselves after that demolishing last year, its as much as we can really hope for..... they have'nt exactly set the world alight with recent losses to Tipperary and Laois in challenge games...... They were decent enough at U16 but missing a good few of that crop from what I read in the Tribune...... A solid performance and a run through back door is as much as we can hope for i'd say.........Lets hope it isnt like last year..........team is here on the H Stand.......http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235558
Kinda irks me that the players and management seem to have given up mentally before a ball has even been kicked, i mean i know the Dubs are better well funded and prepared but its still 15 v 15, if the players are fit enough to hang with the dubs till the end then really its all down to mentality and that's whats sadly lacking at coaching and board level at the moment

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Truth as i see it wrote:
jimbob17 wrote:Minor football team playing Dublin on Saturday in first round...... Not a whole lot expected but if they give a good account of themselves after that demolishing last year, its as much as we can really hope for..... they have'nt exactly set the world alight with recent losses to Tipperary and Laois in challenge games...... They were decent enough at U16 but missing a good few of that crop from what I read in the Tribune...... A solid performance and a run through back door is as much as we can hope for i'd say.........Lets hope it isnt like last year..........team is here on the H Stand.......http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=235558
Kinda irks me that the players and management seem to have given up mentally before a ball has even been kicked, i mean i know the Dubs are better well funded and prepared but its still 15 v 15, if the players are fit enough to hang with the dubs till the end then really its all down to mentality and that's whats sadly lacking at coaching and board level at the moment
I don't think it's likely that the players or management have conceded anything at this stage.
I'd expect the team that has been picked to tear into it and there is a great chance to put in a better than expected performance.
They'll be learning something for the next day, regardless of the result.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Best of luck to both players and management tomorrow.

Give her hell boys!

bare biffo
Junior B

Post by bare biffo »

Dublin 2.11 Offaly 1.09
5 pt loss but a good report on the performance on The 42

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

Excellent performance despite the loss, they brought it back to level pegging with 6 minutes to go after being four points down, great to see heart and fight from the players when things got tough, if they take the right attitude into the qualifiers i can honestly see this team still making the Leinster final, they shouldn't fear anyone if they can put it up to Dublin like that :o :)

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Sounds encouraging.

Bare Biffo, thx for flagging the report of the 42.

Here is the link and text below for any interested A nice level of detail contained in a brief report I must say:

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-minors-2055782-Apr2015/

The minors did the business against Offaly on what was an emotional day for Dublin GAA

The funeral of former player and selector Dave Billings took place before Dublin’s Leinster Minor first round championship match.

7 hours ago 4,386 Views No Comments Share Tweet6 Email1
Dublin's minor team reached the All-Ireland semi-final last year.
Image: Tommy Grealy/INPHO
DUBLIN 2-11 OFFALY 1-9

Dublin delivered an improved second-half display as they accounted for Offaly by five points in their Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship 1st round tie at Parnell Park on Saturday lunchtime.
Ultimately, it was two goals from midfielder Aaron Elliot that proved the difference between the sides although Offaly can take encouragement from an impressive showing throughout.
It was the visitors who started the brighter and they enjoyed a two point lead after five minutes thanks to a brace of excellent scores by Dylan Hyland.
Despite Dublin responding through successive points by Callum Pearson and substitute Shane Howard, Offaly were far sharper in the initial stages and they regained their lead through Ryan Heavin’s 11th minute point.
A struggling home side enjoyed a brief lead following scores by Dillon Keating and Howard but the Faithful County ensured a deserved 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead thanks to two points from the towering Ciaran Maher.
Offaly built on that advantage as Shane Tierney added two points within four minutes of the restart but the visitors ceded territory as the half progressed and the Dubs took advantage to level matters through a Keating brace and Pearson.
Elliot struck for his first goal in the 42nd minute after a jinking run by Keating but Offaly replied in kind nine minutes later as substitute Jordan Hayes fired home from Tierney’s pass.
However, the hosts finished in the ascendancy with Elliot netting five minutes from time and further points by Keating and Callaghan confirmed their progression to the second stage.
Scorers for Dublin: A Elliot 2-0, D Keating 0-4 (1f), C Pearson (1f), S Howard, K Callaghan 0-2 each, J Kindlon 0-1.
Scorers for Offaly: J Hayes 1-1, C Maher, S Tierney (1f), D Hyland 0-2 each, R Heavin, J Lowry 0-1 each.
DUBLIN
1. Evan Comerford (Ballymun Kickhams)
2. Darren Byrne (Raheny)
3. Paul O’Hanlon (Na Fianna)
4. Glenn McNamara (Raheny)
5. Conor Kavanagh (Ballymun Kickhams)
6. Brian Howard (Raheny) – Capt
7. Oisin Kelly (Thomas Davis)
8. Donal McIlgorm (Skerries Harps)
9. Aaron Elliot (Ballymun Kickhams)
10. Kevin Callaghan (St Brigid’s)
11. Barra McGarry (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
12. Tom Fox (Kilmacud Crokes)
13. Sean Caffrey (Na Fianna)
14. Callum Pearson (Kilmacud Crokes)
15. Dillon Keating (Ballymun Kickhams)
Subs:
22. Shane Howard (Fingallians) for McGarry (7).
20. Ben Shovlin (Kilamcud Crokes) for S Howard (27).
23. John Kindlon (Castleknock) for Caffrey (45).
24. Colm Hulton (Ballymun Kickhams) for Pearson (61).
OFFALY
1. Kevin Kinahan (Clodiagh Gaels)
2. PJ Daly (Cappincur)
3. Clint Horan (Clodiagh Gaels)
4. Ronan Hynes (Shannonbridge)
5. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
6. Gavin Smyth (Gracefield)
7. Adam Keyes (Shamrocks)
8. Ciaran Maher (Clonbullogue)
9. Cathal Mangan (Kilclonfert)
10. Dylan Hyland (Raheen)
11. Kyle Higgins (Ferbane)
12. Ryan Heavin (Ferbane)
13. Shane Tierney (Daingean)
14. Shane O’Brien (Clonbullogue)
15. Jack Walsh (Gracefield) – Capt
Subs:
21. Joe Lowry (Ballycumber) for Hyland (39).
22. Jordan Hayes (Edenderry) for O’Brien (44, Black Card).
20. Michael Mooney (Ballinamere) for Higgins (49).
10. Hyland for Maher (54).
Referee Stephen Murphy (Louth)
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I thought the convention was that Minors' clubs stated were the clubs for which they played at Minor grade (Na Fianna, St Vincent's, Ferbane-Belmont etc.).

And it was remiss of the County Board not to that @DubMatchTracker for the tweets of the score updates.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Kevin wrote:Sounds encouraging.

Bare Biffo, thx for flagging the report of the 42.

Here is the link and text below for any interested A nice level of detail contained in a brief report I must say:

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-minors-2055782-Apr2015/

The minors did the business against Offaly on what was an emotional day for Dublin GAA

The funeral of former player and selector Dave Billings took place before Dublin’s Leinster Minor first round championship match.

7 hours ago 4,386 Views No Comments Share Tweet6 Email1
Dublin's minor team reached the All-Ireland semi-final last year.
Image: Tommy Grealy/INPHO
DUBLIN 2-11 OFFALY 1-9

Dublin delivered an improved second-half display as they accounted for Offaly by five points in their Electric Ireland Leinster Minor Football Championship 1st round tie at Parnell Park on Saturday lunchtime.
Ultimately, it was two goals from midfielder Aaron Elliot that proved the difference between the sides although Offaly can take encouragement from an impressive showing throughout.
It was the visitors who started the brighter and they enjoyed a two point lead after five minutes thanks to a brace of excellent scores by Dylan Hyland.
Despite Dublin responding through successive points by Callum Pearson and substitute Shane Howard, Offaly were far sharper in the initial stages and they regained their lead through Ryan Heavin’s 11th minute point.
A struggling home side enjoyed a brief lead following scores by Dillon Keating and Howard but the Faithful County ensured a deserved 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead thanks to two points from the towering Ciaran Maher.
Offaly built on that advantage as Shane Tierney added two points within four minutes of the restart but the visitors ceded territory as the half progressed and the Dubs took advantage to level matters through a Keating brace and Pearson.
Elliot struck for his first goal in the 42nd minute after a jinking run by Keating but Offaly replied in kind nine minutes later as substitute Jordan Hayes fired home from Tierney’s pass.
However, the hosts finished in the ascendancy with Elliot netting five minutes from time and further points by Keating and Callaghan confirmed their progression to the second stage.
Scorers for Dublin: A Elliot 2-0, D Keating 0-4 (1f), C Pearson (1f), S Howard, K Callaghan 0-2 each, J Kindlon 0-1.
Scorers for Offaly: J Hayes 1-1, C Maher, S Tierney (1f), D Hyland 0-2 each, R Heavin, J Lowry 0-1 each.
DUBLIN
1. Evan Comerford (Ballymun Kickhams)
2. Darren Byrne (Raheny)
3. Paul O’Hanlon (Na Fianna)
4. Glenn McNamara (Raheny)
5. Conor Kavanagh (Ballymun Kickhams)
6. Brian Howard (Raheny) – Capt
7. Oisin Kelly (Thomas Davis)
8. Donal McIlgorm (Skerries Harps)
9. Aaron Elliot (Ballymun Kickhams)
10. Kevin Callaghan (St Brigid’s)
11. Barra McGarry (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
12. Tom Fox (Kilmacud Crokes)
13. Sean Caffrey (Na Fianna)
14. Callum Pearson (Kilmacud Crokes)
15. Dillon Keating (Ballymun Kickhams)
Subs:
22. Shane Howard (Fingallians) for McGarry (7).
20. Ben Shovlin (Kilamcud Crokes) for S Howard (27).
23. John Kindlon (Castleknock) for Caffrey (45).
24. Colm Hulton (Ballymun Kickhams) for Pearson (61).
OFFALY
1. Kevin Kinahan (Clodiagh Gaels)
2. PJ Daly (Cappincur)
3. Clint Horan (Clodiagh Gaels)
4. Ronan Hynes (Shannonbridge)
5. David Dempsey (Ballycommon)
6. Gavin Smyth (Gracefield)
7. Adam Keyes (Shamrocks)
8. Ciaran Maher (Clonbullogue)
9. Cathal Mangan (Kilclonfert)
10. Dylan Hyland (Raheen)
11. Kyle Higgins (Ferbane)
12. Ryan Heavin (Ferbane)
13. Shane Tierney (Daingean)
14. Shane O’Brien (Clonbullogue)
15. Jack Walsh (Gracefield) – Capt
Subs:
21. Joe Lowry (Ballycumber) for Hyland (39).
22. Jordan Hayes (Edenderry) for O’Brien (44, Black Card).
20. Michael Mooney (Ballinamere) for Higgins (49).
10. Hyland for Maher (54).
Referee Stephen Murphy (Louth)
Good performance, nice to see the smaller clubs represented on the panel.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Could we please close off this thread????

Some inspiration for our young men who are playing for the county and may have a look in here, and to the management who have taken on the job!

Even pedantic POTH could only drudge up the fact that the players adult clubs are listed and not their minor clubs!