Offaly Hurling the real problem

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Up The Faithful
Junior A

Offaly Hurling the real problem

Post by Up The Faithful »

A lot of people are putting the blame on Brian Whelahan and other previous managers, which I think is completely ridiculous. The real problem is at underage level our minors and u 21s!! We even need to go further down to nearly u10's. The structures and systems used over the last decade or 2 are miles behind other counties, like Tipperary, Kilkenny and even Laois in recent years. I think Laois is a very good example where Cheddar Plunkett was part of the minor u21 and senior set up. We need to look deep into the problem and thats underage, for an example Tipperary have big training camps for u12 and u14's where they squat with a light bar, learning the technique for their development. I know in the last year or 2 work is being done with this with Alan Mulhall and the county board. But lots lots more needs to be done at grass roots level. I am in my second year of studying Sports Strength and Conditioning and I see its importance more and more everyday. I know we appointed S&C coaches for the senior hurlers and footballs but why not underage???

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Offaly Hurling the real problem

Post by ryot »

Of course the need is to so doing serious work with the Under Age and long before they hit Minor & U21.....

One big problem I see is that the mere mention of Gym work seemed to bring the worst out off some backwoods types. I remember some sneering at KIldare & their "Gym-monkeys" who proceeded to slaughter us and for a BIFFO living in Kildare that slaughter was hard to take,,,,,,

I believe its the Developement Ages, Under 13, U 15 & U 17 that should get the S & C attention to prepare for the playing years of U14, U 16 & Minor when coaching should be the priority..

Now I would be delighted to hear that Dev panels are in place and working,,,,,,,,

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good post up the faithful, thats what the problem is, but some think we have top class hurlers with buckets of underage medals at county level not playing under whelehan or would walk onto the kilkenny team. i remember the late kieran murphy from clareen/walsh island we were at the game in carlow in 2005 when carlow beat us, and he told me with in 10 years offaly will be only a second division team at best and will never trouble kilkenny again untill we get underage teams back winning leinsters at least, we can't even beat laois now and they are not even winning a game after beating us.

yes but the offaly way is a sure this lads not playing or this lad won't play under whelehan if he was a good offalyman he would hurl for his county matter who's over them. as i said yesterday not ever player gets on with his manger, but you play it for the love of the game and your county not to be some jump up nothing which offaly seem some offaly players are, it was no sercet that the Birr lads back in the 90's didn't see eye to eye with Padraig horan over them in 1991 but they still hurl under him won a league title with offaly and also an all ireland club title under him in 1995.

Up The Faithful
Junior A

Thanks townman, I agree with what that man was saying people started to believe that talent was just coming naturally and that success would be continuous. But reality has hit now . The only way we will win anything in years to come is by development at underage, yes putting S&C coaches with the seniors can only improve the team. But in the bigger picture focus needs to be put on underage

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

townman of course ur correct that offaly need huge work to improve underage hurling in offaly before we can compete at minor and underage level .
the dogs on the street know that .
but offaly senior team going well is the best way to promote hurling .
we should try and get the most out of our current senior players and at least make us harder beat .

there is no point in giving up on our current senior players .

we need young lad looking up to d currams j bergin rather than tj reid and h shefflin .

people seen to forget that the offaly minor team of the late 80 s completely under achieved in the 90s when u compare the achievements of the 80s team .a team who won notting at underage .
guys still need development as seniors no matter how good the are at underage.

b whelahan seems unable to mend fences , there was no fall out with g healion or c mahon i think .
if i was b whelahan id offer mahon the captains job in a hope he would stay around next year .
if we had g healion c mahon d currams b carroll j bergin s dooley at least we have experence .

it cant have been easy for g healion last year to see rory hurling at full back with 3 fractures in his knee against tipp or to see d kenny at full forward barely able to run while ger sat on the bench .
b whelahan clearly thought a crippled hannify or kenny were better than g healion.
townman is that good managment ??

insulting or what???

offfaly lost to kilkenny by 6 points in 2013 and 26 points in 2014 but it was all the players fault and b whelahan was blameless.?????

pity because if he had a full hand to pick from in 2015 .
the draw has been kind to us.
i honestly think we could beat laois and give the leinster semi final against either galway or dublin a real cut .
maybe im dreaming

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes you have a good point about Hanniffy and Healion this summer yes Ger should have been fullback and rory out the field, the madness again kilkenny with paul murphy left on his own to catch every ball that came into the kilkenny defence with connolly out midfield like a mascot, my point is whelehan cant be held for the level of talent that is in with the county at the moment, his way of hurling i agree made no sense this year, i'd give him this one just to see how it goes, but sure who comes after will have the same problem............talent

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
b whelahan set up they team from the first league match to loose .
he lost the supporters that day and soon after the players .
instead of looking at the u 21 team of 2013 and the kk players of 2013 whelahan player birr lads like s ryan b walkins b harding and r hannify at full back with a broken knee brought young e nolan in at the last minute when he had fell out with everyone and put him into the team , to be fair nolan did well .

whelahan seem to be to have the same problem as u townman .
he think u must be from birr to be a hurler .
is it any wonder that ye both cant see any talent in offaly then

Up The Faithful
Junior A

We are talking about the core problem which is the development at underage level. You can sit and moan about Brian Whelehan all day everyday, but realistically if there was a good development system Brian should have 15 to pick from every senior club team!! And players should have respect for the manager and manager should have respect for the players (mutual)

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:townman
b whelahan set up they team from the first league match to loose .
he lost the supporters that day and soon after the players .
instead of looking at the u 21 team of 2013 and the kk players of 2013 whelahan player birr lads like s ryan b walkins b harding and r hannify at full back with a broken knee brought young e nolan in at the last minute when he had fell out with everyone and put him into the team , to be fair nolan did well .

whelahan seem to be to have the same problem as u townman .
he think u must be from birr to be a hurler .
is it any wonder that ye both cant see any talent in offaly then
thats a bullshit statement about that you must be from birr to be a hurler what age are you 7
lets not forget Danny Kelliher was fullback again laois in the game whelehan set out to lose as you say. as for k/k players there were at least 7 of them in with offaly last year as for the 2013 under 21's there was 6 or 7 also in with the panel last year so you should check it out before you post

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Up The Faithful wrote:We are talking about the core problem which is the development at underage level. You can sit and moan about Brian Whelehan all day everyday, but realistically if there was a good development system Brian should have 15 to pick from every senior club team!! And players should have respect for the manager and manager should have respect for the players (mutual)
This that why Martin Foraghty is come up and give Coaching Classes in Mount Bolus every monday.
These classes are the most important thing going on in Offaly Gaa at the moment.
These 110-150 coaches will do the ground work that will make Offaly hurling a super power.
these classes should be done every year or twice a year. even if only 10 coaches at these classes it will help the coaches to bring on our hurlers.

This problem is in the process of been address by the county board and i for one think they doing a great job on this issue.

The problem of getting the best out of the hurlers that we have and the hurlers that the classes will develop is another huge problem.
Its should approched in the same way.
Develop your manager.
Do classes with them to develop they manager skills. When manager goes into club within or outside the county and he hits a problem. have a support system in place to help young manager making they way in the game.
“Common sense is not so common.”

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
p geraghty was the only kk lads to start against laois .
offaly were about 8 points down with 10 minutes finished stronger because d currams and d kilmartain and s cleary came on but c mahon was not used . if we had started those 3 kk and we had g healion at centre bach we would have won easily .

i disagree with u totaly offaly are still ahead of laois if we have a full team and play to our strengths .

laois had a full team we were without r hannify d morkam g healion c mahon d currams d kilmartain and s dooley .

those were the lads offaly should have built the team around in 2014 along with j bergin and b carroll but the were never all on the pitch at the same time.
someone was to blame ,u blame the players townman . i think the blame was with the manager .
but we will never see those 9 guys hurl togther for offaly now .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

but we have seen Currams,Dooley,morkam,bergin,carroll,mahon,Healion,Cleary, play together :?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:but we have seen Currams,Dooley,morkam,bergin,carroll,mahon,Healion,Cleary, play together :?
When??

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

fuck sake lads do ye watch offaly at all, last year again kilkenny Healion,Mahon,carroll,Dooley,Cleary,Bergin, fair enough Currams came on as a sub scored a goal so they did hurl together, morkam was injuried for that game even Ciaran Slevin played that day.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:fuck sake lads do ye watch offaly at all, last year again kilkenny Healion,Mahon,carroll,Dooley,Cleary,Bergin, fair enough Currams came on as a sub scored a goal so they did hurl together, morkam was injuried for that game even Ciaran Slevin played that day.
For Fuck Sake. When have Currams,Dooley,morkam,bergin,carroll,mahon,Healion,Cleary, Started and Play a game together.
Think about it for a second.

You made the statement
but we have seen Currams,Dooley,morkam,bergin,carroll,mahon,Healion,Cleary, play together :?
Back up you statement. find a match??