Rory Hanniffy retirement from offaly hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Rory Hanniffy retirement from offaly hurling

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I remember clearly that moment during the Cork game POTH and being breathless trying to describe it to people on the phone at half time and at the end of the game.
It is those little things - great memory.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And again I ask myself - why do GAA players do it? See today's 'Daily Cork' here
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 97796.html
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Offaly manager Brian Whelahan has revealed how Rory Hanniffy played through 2014 with three knee fractures and lined out against Tipperary in the Championship ‘against all medical advice’.
Playing badly Injured players. Madness.
Whelahan should be ashamed of himself for letting the man take the field. Its player abuse not player welfare.
But Whelahan screw himself by not getting on with any full back or centre back in the county.
The long term damage Hanniffy could have done to himself by playing when badly injured. There is pride in the jersey but then they stupidity.
Lead to the questions how fit Kenny and Dooley were.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Some great summations so far. Rory was a hurler who always tried to play the intelligent ball and create something. He had great wrists and his peripheral vision was superb. He had an uncanny knack of spotting a pass to a colleague even when he was facing away from them and under pressure. Possibly his versatility was his downfall, ending up plugging holes instead of being the cornerstone the team was built around.

I've said this before, but in the mid 00s when Offaly didn't have enough forwards to win puckouts and clearances and were getting murdered because of this, its a pity we didn't adopt more of a running game with Hanniffy and Brendan Murphy as ball carrying greyhounds in midfield, like Cork did with Kenny and O'Connor.

While success mostly eluded him, only simpletons measure a player's legacy in terms of medals won.