Transferring within the County

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
theoutsider
Junior A

Transferring within the County

Post by theoutsider »

Long time reader, first time poster. Just wondering can any posters help me.
I'm not going to name any clubs involved, but anyway. I played football all my life with a village in Offaly. But about 10 years ago when I was still juvenile I moved to the next town which is about 10 miles away. I still played for all with my original club - up until this year.

As with any club, a few incidents happened that were one to many and has come to a point that I no longer want to play football with said club. Not out of pettiness or sulking as I am a first team player.

I want to transfer to the team in the area I have been living in the last 10 years. What I am asking is when my club objects (as they will) will I have to sit out for a year or can I not put a case forward that I am living in that area and can prove it?

Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Transferring within the County

Post by ryot »

The "sitting out for a year" is an old wives tale.............

If as you say you have been living in the "new area" for 10 years I cannot see County Board (i.e. the Delegates from all the Clubs & the few Officers) having any problem approving a transfer.

Your "old Club" must have been delighted that you continued to travel back for all those years and would surely not object.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

It's really up to your club to push it through...if they say no, then u can forget about getting a transfer.

The GAA is really against these types of transfers because they assume that players are just moving to a bigger more successful club...they want you to stay with your local club. If memory serves John Kenny wanted to play for Tullamore back in the day & transfer from Daingain...and ended up not playing for Daingain for 8 years until his transfer finally got granted.

Unless your moving to a club outside the county its almost impossible to get a transfer so thread carefully.
The Untouchable

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Have to disagree with a lot of what "untouchable" says

The idea here is to TRANSFER TO THE LOCAL CLUB.......

Why would there be any problem with that ?

The club losing out might be silly enough to create a problem but surely CB Delegates would see the justice in it ?

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

the Untouchable wrote:The GAA is really against these types of transfers because they assume that players are just moving to a bigger more successful club...they want you to stay with your local club. If memory serves John Kenny wanted to play for Tullamore back in the day & transfer from Daingain...and ended up not playing for Daingain for 8 years until his transfer finally got granted.
Mr. 'The Untouchable', I'd just like to let you know that this information regarding John Kenny is completely false. John played for Daingean through the 90's and was part of their Division 2 League winning team in 1999, the final of which was played in February of 2000 against Tullamore. Now my memory isnt perfect on this, but I think John was still with the Daingean club for the 2000 season, but i'm not sure whether he played championship for them or not. In 2001, he definitely wasnt playing with Daingean anyway, but I cant confirm whether he played for Tullamore or not. And in 2002 he played in the county final for Tullamore, I'm almost certain of that.
That leaves a period of 2 years that i'm not entirely certain on, but one of which I think he still played for Daingean during.
Your figure of 8 years appears to be a little off the mark.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

theoutsider, I don't believe you'll have any issues transferring. If you have been in your new area 10 years and can prove it then even if your current club dig their heels in I still think you'll be fine. These type of transfers go ahead regularly without problems. Don't worry about it, it'll be fine....best of luck with it.

HSM, that takes me a back down memory lane, the ol John Kenny saga!
Ye got to the intermediate final in 2001 and were beaten by Ballyfore and I'm almost certain John wasn't playing.
The ironic thing was Daingean beat Clonbullogue in the 2002 final to go back up senior. He was playing very good stuff at that stage and I reckon if he'd have stayed with Daingean they could well haved managed to stave off relegation in the mid 00's.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Ok, I'm wrong about John Kenny...it wasn't 8 yrs...but it didn't happen straight away either because Daingain objected to his transfer!!

The point I'm making is that if you don't get your backing of your old club to transfer which is what theoutsider has said, then it's going to be very difficult to get a transfer...I know what the process is because I've being through a transfer & without approval from your old club it makes it very difficult to secure a transfer...anyone who thinks that moving 10 minutes down the road from your club into another parish suddenly gives u the right to move to that club obviously has had very little dealings with how the GAA work!!

If they were to grant transfers like this where your club oppose the move & your only moving 10 minutes down the road, then what sort of message would that send out to any other player who wanted to transfer clubs? It would be open season!!

The GAA's Offical guide from 2012 states that "the GAA is community centered, based on the allegiance of its members to their local clubs and counties, a player is considered to owe allegiance and loyalty to his First Club.

But we seem to have some real experts on the topic of transfers on here so I'll bow to yer greater knowledge!!
The Untouchable

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

once you have been living in the area that you wish to transfer to for a minimum of 16 weeks, and have proof of same, your current club can object all they want but it wont stop your transfer, even if you didn't have proof there are still a no of ways to get your transfer through, get in touch with the club you want to transfer too, and get the transfer request filled out and ready to go, forms have to be in with co board some time in January, and you have to give your current club notice of your transfer request, so you would want to get things moving soon. best of luck with the transfer.

theoutsider
Junior A

Post by theoutsider »

Thanks for all the replies. I am by no means going looking for glory with a better team. My original club would have got the better hand of future club regualry. I won't delve too much into it but one of the reasons I am moving but it's quite complicated and I have family involved in the background of current club and I know there will be an objection. All I can do is talk to them and try move on with good terms. I don't see how they could object tho. 10 years in an area of which I now have a young family so it's not about looking for trophies. Could county board not see from my point of view regardless of objections?

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

your current club would have to have grounds for an objection, if you can prove your address and you look for the transfer on that, then your current club have no grounds for an objection, co board will only take your current address into consideration when looking at your request

Kid
Junior C

Post by Kid »

Harps man is correct, the club needs to have grounds to object. More often than not the grounds are the transferee using an "address of convenience" and not actually living where stated on the form. But if you are indeed living at that address in the "new" club area, then really the worst they can do is delay it, as it would be easy prove it's your real and current address.

Also, to repeat the point above, make sure the form is with the original club at the specified time (I think it's 10 days before the first county board meeting but should be easy to get that checked). In a lot of cases, where clubs aren't objecting, they aren't too concerned about the notice period, but if they are going to try and block it, this is one easy way for them to delay it for a year. If the form isn't received in time and the club state this, the application is not heard, end of story for a year.

concrete
Junior A

Post by concrete »

as daingean were objecting to his transfer john kenny sat out for 1 year and then transfered to tullamore. i'm nearly sure it still applies that if you sit out a year you can then transfer to who you want within reasonable grounds. although your club may object, the fact you are living in your new area will be enough for you to transfer, it might slow it down a bit but it won't prevent it