Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by townman »

i never said whelehan was a great manger, as for 2013 i think you mean what we got a few goals again kilkenny they were not at there best that year as cork beat them after, cody made sure that there would be no 4 goals this year as they won everything in the game this year. yes Coolderry and k/k got to back to back club finals didn't win them doe, as for the waterford game could have won it if Baker didn't made a balls of it the year before Galway ran in goals past us as Baker again wouldn't take Kenny out of fullback in portlaoise, lets not go into mangers cause we would be here all night its a while since we had a good one.

just on the coolderry and k/k winning teams name me players off both clubs that weren't in with offaly last year that were good enough.

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

I am not going to repeat mt selfby saying that the current manager was a great hurler, but I will repeat myself by saying that a great hurler does not necessarily make a good manager. Most of the lads who deserved to ge in with the county from both KK and Coolderry were in there......that is not the problem. The problem is that when they went in there they were black guarded, played out of position, and got no leadership from the management team. I don't think anybody in here is saying that the job of managing Offaly county hurlers is an easy one, but we are saying that the county hurlers who commit their time, passion, and energy to the county set up deserve, at the very least, to be managed in an honest, respectful, and knowledgeable way, with a basic understanding of what is required to compete at inter county level today. They deserve to be managed with the same passion as they display on the field of play.....i will base my appraisal of the current manager on what I have seen and heard from him before and after games (as I can only rely on here say as to what happens on the training pitch and in the dressing room!) And the distinct lack of the manager taking responsibility for what happens on the field is worrying....everyone, from County board to players gets blamed, there is no passion in the man's voice, and there is a distinct lack of ability to be able to relate where the issues are on the field. I find it laughable that anyone could suggest that the current manager would be a Sunday Game analyst.....the art of communication is a prerequisite for both an analyst and a managers role.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Ger Coughlan step down as a selector due to personal reason. last night county board meeting. according to Brian Lowry.
Best of luck to ger. hope to see him managing again soon.

No word on the appointment of the U21 manager.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

isn't McDonald from brosna gaels can't think of his first name Chris Mcdonald father taking up the under 21 job. it was no secret that Ger Coughlan step down with all the abuse whelehan gets lets not forget that Coughlan and John Troy are also part of the set up who pick the side to.

i seen the Gift fox with Sid last sunday i belive he will be the new man in.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

was it not to be confirmed at the November co. Board meeting or am i getting my wires crossed.

I don't understand why Coughlan was name as been re-appointed and then leave a month later if his replacement was in the works.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Damian Fox was also with Sid in Wexford together with Killian Farrell....i could not see Damian getting involved in less he was going to have a say in the selection process....i think he will be a good addition to the set up. I also understand that there were some problems with Ger Coughlan and a number of the players. If this is the case may be there is a move on to build bridges and the management team can only be congratulated for that.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Chris you hit the nail there about Coughlan and problems with players i belive him more so than Whelehan was the reason a few left the squad also is his son Colm in with the panel this year didn't see the chaps name on the list or is he hurt.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

No Idid not see Colm nnamedon tthe list either.....there were 4 from kinnitty i believe and he was not one of them. ....lets hope that the corner has been turned. The first thing to do in resolving an issue is to understand what the issue is. Management and players have to work together to have any chance of rrelative success. ....While it has not been confirmed yet....Here's hoping! !!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

some change had to be made after last year .
j quinn is gone and now g coughlan lets hope there the correct changes and that thing will improve and more players will come on board now .
offaly needs everyone

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Offaly U21 Hurling Mgt team for 2015
Ciaran McDonald (manager) with Ronnie Byrne & Liam Dunphy (selectors)& Tipp man James McGrath as coach
Good news.
A team in place before christmas. Best of luck to the management and team

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Andy Gallagher stepped down tonight from the county board.

Huge respect for the man he given a huge service to Offaly Gaa over the the last 40 years.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Very true tox, he is my Dad and I am very proud of him. Andy wasa great hurler and administrator . Started with Offaly in 1953 and finished today. The only Offalyman to manage an Offaly senior hurling team to All Ireland. A lifetime of service. End of an era.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

did anyone hear sids interview on radio 3 .
maybe its just me but i was struck at sids lack of passion about the offaly team and offaly hurling.
if he is like that in the dressing room its no wonder offaly get hammered most of the guys must be half asleep .
am i been un fair ??

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Yes. Yes you are.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

sam88885a wrote:did anyone hear sids interview on radio 3 .
maybe its just me but i was struck at sids lack of passion about the offaly team and offaly hurling.
if he is like that in the dressing room its no wonder offaly get hammered most of the guys must be half asleep .
am i been un fair ??
you could be right in some words but his not going to build up offaly hurling into something it isn't theses times, we heard enough bull last week from Dingle Daly on how great Rhode were and the best forwards in the country only to come out and lie down after 10 minutes, we should just keep our heads down and work hard on getting ourselfs back up the ladder in leinster hurling and if we can get back to the top in the years ahead we will have plenty of time to talk up how good we are when the team does something good.