Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Shes no relation
Junior C
Club: Durrow

Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by Shes no relation »

I've heard over the last few days that The Offaly hurling management have recently selected a panel of 52 players.(excluding K/K). I may have it wrong so anyone can correct me on this but. To my knowledge there was 4 players from both Kinnitty and Tullamore called in (both in relegation playoffs),there were also 2/3 called in from Brosna Gaels (also in relegation the past 2 years). Ballinamere reach the Quarter finals of the Hurling Championships this year and although they didn't shine in every group game they played, they had great wins over Tullamore and Kinnity. On Merit alone from their achievements in 2013 and their first stab at Senior, surely they deserve more players to be drafted in.

Without this subject sounding like sour apples. Paddy Murphy has earned his call up and I don't think anyone can doubt this. But to leave out players like David Magner~(Held Dan Currams to 2 points in QF) Gerry Spollen and Kevin Mealiff to a lesser degree (injured most of the year) is an outrage and has left my optimism and faith in Offaly Hurling at an all time low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting for one minute that the players called in from Tullamore, Kinnity or Brosna Gaels don't deserve to be there or are not good enough, they are all fine hurlers and do deserve their chance but if anyone can explain within reason and without grudge, why these lads arent getting a look in to this current set up.

Little fact for you. here is a list of winners of the IHC over the past few years and the amount of players called in for Offaly panels the following year.

Brosna Gaels 2011 (2/3 players)
Lusmagh 2012 (2/3 players)
Ballinamere 2013 (zero)
Shamrocks 2014 (2 players)

I wonder is this the same with the Intermediate champions of counties like Kilkenny and Cork.
I doubt it

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel 2015

Post by kaiserchief »

Shes no relation - I am in full agreement with you.

Gerry Spollen is def woth a shot at it. People say Magner is too small for inter county but he was able to hold his own against the best players this year and has played Fitzgibbon for the last few years.

Who from Shamrocks was called in? How many have KK in their? Kiely surely called in after his performance the last day!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Have we got the full trial panel list?

Like other years and alot of Offaly county teams from u16 to senior over the years, there will be lads who get called in who shouldnt and there will be lads who do deserve to but wont get the call. I think it has improved in recent years though. It was a big big problem in 90's and early 2000's at underage level certainly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:Shes no relation - I am in full agreement with you.

Gerry Spollen is def woth a shot at it. People say Magner is too small for inter county but he was able to hold his own against the best players this year and has played Fitzgibbon for the last few years.

Who from Shamrocks was called in? How many have KK in their? Kiely surely called in after his performance the last day!
way to early for Cillian Kiely the lad is just out of minor, let him hurl under 21 this year 2016 will be time enough for him. its aright bring lads in to a team that is doing well or winning but like most young players who come into a team who are down the ladder they won't be heard of after one or two years.

who's the 4 from kinnitty i heard the other kinnitty goalkeeper not james dempsey was called in whats the story here, i hope Con Mahon and Brian Leonard get the call in. would love to see Dylan Hayden and Paul Cleary back in two might not be everyones cup of tea but they are as good if not better than what was there this year.

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

Why don't Offaly publish their county panels (or at least those called in for the preliminary panel) like many of the other cutiesdo? I heard something ssimilar about Dempsey not being included.....i also heard Brian Mulling has been called in. Now, I think Mullins was one of Offaly's best goalkeepers but at 36 (37 next year), is this the way we would want the county team to be managed.....

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well if Breeder who is 18 years in goals for Birr is back in the squad and the likes of Conor Clancy and Conor Slevin and James Dempsey are over looked its time to call a halt to this circus under Sid.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Can anyone Confirm the 52 member of the panel at the moment or is it top secret?
If any of the above is true. i'm going to start call Whelehan, Troy and Coughlan. Larry Moe and Curly.
“Common sense is not so common.”

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

4 from kinitty : james dempsey kevin o connor james rigney shane kinsella

townman; there no kk lads in there yet and prob wont be for a while hopefully ;-) well not for another two or three weeks anyways. didnt say kiely should be on the first 15, just he should be ther training with the panel and gettin use to inter county set up. Emett Nolan got the very same exposure last year and he will surely be a starter this year.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I've often said that in both Offaly football and hurling, where the playing pool is comparatively shallow, quite often you're making choices between players who have been given several chances and who have never quite made the grade, or players who have never been given a chance and who possibly aren't standout performers but who might surprise you. Players in the former category are guaranteed to prove not quite good enough, players in the latter group are more likely to miss out but might improve for the exposure. Given that choice, there should be no contest.

Just on a couple of topics above - I only saw Ballinamere once this year so I'm not going to say that the right number of panelists from the club should be any number, but I will say that it's not as clearcut as better team = more county players. That should be obvious.

Also, of all the positions on the panel, sub goalkeeper is one that's notoriously difficult to fill, particularly when the man in possession of the number one shirt is seen as rock solid - as James Dempsey is right now. It's not unheard of for managers to get a lot of "thanks, but no thanks" responses when trying to get sub keepers on board and while I too would consider it a very retrograde step to bring Mullins on board, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that a lot of good keepers turned down the offer.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think the day Mullins was taking off again Antrim at half time in the championship in parnell park in 2010 was his last day in an offaly jersey, sure to god Coolderrys Stephen Corcoran or Clancy will be under study to Dempsey this year.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:4 from kinitty : james dempsey kevin o connor james rigney shane kinsella

townman; there no kk lads in there yet and prob wont be for a while hopefully ;-) well not for another two or three weeks anyways. didnt say kiely should be on the first 15, just he should be ther training with the panel and gettin use to inter county set up. Emett Nolan got the very same exposure last year and he will surely be a starter this year.
is ger's son Colm gone from the panel, i think Kiely could do with another year away from senior, Emett Nolan hurl again tipp and done well, it will be intersting to see how he does next year.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

b mullins shouldnt be brought back to the offaly panel at 36 , ahead of j demsey c clancy c slevin and k o connor .
if it is the case i guess b whelahan has invited anyone that can hurl in ,knowing over 50% wont hurl for offaly under his managment .
this year has to be all about the guys u 25 .offaly need to blood them and develope them because rory hannify and b carroll are not our future .we have to create new leaders now .
worrying time !

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I see Brian Lowry posted on twitter a short time ago that Brian Whelehan will name his full backroom team and his initial 34 man panel (excluding the KK lads) in tomorrow's Tribune......all will be revealed shortly so!!!! Dread to think what it might read like.....but here's hoping for the best!!!!

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Townman

maybe Ger Coughlan is gone as well!!!!!

I heard Damian Fox and Killian Farrell are in with Brian Whelehan!!! But don't't know in which capacity....actually think Damian Fox will be a sensible appointment....don't know enough about Killian Farrell to make a call one way or another, other than to say he was a fine hurler....at the level at which he played!!!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Farrell was over Meath for a few years be no harm give the lad a chance the Gift was also over Laois a few years ago,