Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Chris
County player
Club: kk

Re: Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

Post by Chris »

Agreed Townman. ...the pitch was in fantastic nick....goid solid ground on which to play hurling.....it was particularly good considering the rain that fell in the days before the game. KK will need to take their chances from hereon in.....but a rest and a good spell of preparation will work wonders.....i am looking forward to some mighty match ups as, if as expected, Ballyhale do the business on Sunday.....but there will be nothing easy....its a double header and will be thronged with Dubs.....i remember two years ago when Oulart were written off against Ballyhale. ...and we all know what happened then. I would loveto see Kevin Grogan get to grips with TJ Reid and I would expect TJ to go the same way as the famous Lar went!!!! The KK lads have nothing to fear from anyone, but they will have to hurl and rake their chances when they present themselves.....the worrying thing for me is that Barry Kelly is probably in pole position to get the game!!!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kilkenny hurling people dont like barry kelly but from a kk point of view at least it wont be j sexton or m cleere .

i watched the highlights of the kilkenny final on tv seemed to be open attacking hurling .

offaly hurling really need kk to preform in the final .
it will be in portlaoise which is nearly a home venue for kk , sure to bring a big crowd again .
i fancy kk to win leinster all year and i think if it ballyhale they bring out the best in this kk team .

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

To be fair to Sean Cleere I thought he was very good in 2015 and was actually pleased he was appointed for the Shelmaliers game.....His performance was inconsistent in that he gave frees to Shels that he did not give to KK for the same thing. The issue is a problem for referees generally and revolves around taking the ball into contact.....there is no clear definition of a tackle and therefore there is a different interpretation by every referee. If we think back to the Leinster final in 2012, Peter Healion took Red monday out of it with a full frontal challenge....we could have had no complaint if Peter got a red card....and things might have been different!!!!! I would put it down to a bad day at the office for Cleere as I think he is not a bad referee at all

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’m thinking Ardrahan can win the Galway county championship. Here’s the logic.

If Turloughmore are excluded and Beagh take their place, Ardrahan will face Beagh in a refixed quarter-final. If Turloughmore are reinstated, the Ardrahan v Turloughmore replay will proceed. Whoever progresses from that quarter-final will face Gort in a semi-final. Gort will be at a disadvantage, coming in stone cold and will face a team who had a recent championship match behind them.

And whoever progresses to the Final will have a similar advantage over Portumna. Moreso Ardrahan / Turloughmore or Beagh who will have two recent matches behind them. And Portumna were not playing well – scraped a group win over Athenry when defeat would have knocked them out, beat Craughwell in the semi-final on a day when Craughwell hit 19 wides. Craughwell were without Niall Healy too. And Portumna beat Ardrahan by just four points (1-17 to 1-13) when the sides met in the group stage in July.

your thinking wrong POTH Ardrahan were beaten today by Beagh who go on to play Gort in the semil.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’m thinking Ardrahan can win the Galway county championship. Here’s the logic.

If Turloughmore are excluded and Beagh take their place, Ardrahan will face Beagh in a refixed quarter-final. If Turloughmore are reinstated, the Ardrahan v Turloughmore replay will proceed. Whoever progresses from that quarter-final will face Gort in a semi-final. Gort will be at a disadvantage, coming in stone cold and will face a team who had a recent championship match behind them.

And whoever progresses to the Final will have a similar advantage over Portumna. Moreso Ardrahan / Turloughmore or Beagh who will have two recent matches behind them. And Portumna were not playing well – scraped a group win over Athenry when defeat would have knocked them out, beat Craughwell in the semi-final on a day when Craughwell hit 19 wides. Craughwell were without Niall Healy too. And Portumna beat Ardrahan by just four points (1-17 to 1-13) when the sides met in the group stage in July.

your thinking wrong POTH Ardrahan were beaten today by Beagh who go on to play Gort in the semil.
Ardrahan lost Iarla Tannian early in the week, after picking up an injury a big lost to ardrahan.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

The question I have is.....how irresponsible was it of Iarla Tannion to play an inter firms game a week before the county championship quarter final

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Chris wrote:The question I have is.....how irresponsible was it of Iarla Tannion to play an inter firms game a week before the county championship quarter final
The easy answer here is to say that the outcome speaks for itself, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that, and you have to remember too that he probably committed to play in an inter-firms game before word came through of the confirmation of Turloughmore's expulsion. He also has to work with his colleagues and build a career, so pulling out at short notice might not have been a runner.

It's not as if the science on playing a week beforehand is conclusive either. Some would say that a player would benefit.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I don't know about the timing around thefixing of the Beagh game and the inter firms game so cannot make a call on that. It may well be that the championship match was only fixed after the inter firm games were played. I would have both Iarla Tannion and Johnny Glynn as key influences in the Ardrahan set up and would imagine that any hurler would wish to win a county championship for their club ahead of an Inter firms tournament. Whatever about the KK lads playing a game the week before Offaly, Leinster and All Ireland championship games, i would doubt that any of them would even consider playing an inter firms game. It's not a question of hindsight after the event, to me it's more a question of judgement in advance of the event.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Chris wrote:I don't know about the timing around thefixing of the Beagh game and the inter firms game so cannot make a call on that. It may well be that the championship match was only fixed after the inter firm games were played. I would have both Iarla Tannion and Johnny Glynn as key influences in the Ardrahan set up and would imagine that any hurler would wish to win a county championship for their club ahead of an Inter firms tournament. Whatever about the KK lads playing a game the week before Offaly, Leinster and All Ireland championship games, i would doubt that any of them would even consider playing an inter firms game. It's not a question of hindsight after the event, to me it's more a question of judgement in advance of the event.
It's not about which title would a player prefer, but that you have to hold your word. Even if Tannion knew about the fixing of the Turloughmore/Beagh game in time for the throw in of the Interfirms match, he would have been committed and wouldn't have wanted to let his colleagues down. When it's your place of work, there also might be career implications of letting people down. I'd have genuine sympathy for him here.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Lone Shark wrote:It's not about which title would a player prefer, but that you have to hold your word. Even if Tannion knew about the fixing of the Turloughmore/Beagh game in time for the throw in of the Interfirms match, he would have been committed and wouldn't have wanted to let his colleagues down. When it's your place of work, there also might be career implications of letting people down. I'd have genuine sympathy for him here.
Can't agree with you on this one LS, if it was a case that he knew that he had a county 1/4 final on the weekend, then he should have pulled the plug on playing in an inter-firms game. This type of thing happens up and down the country, week in week out. You have stuff planned, club games get changed/scheduled and your plans go out the window. Sure, you are letting some people down (of course your work team would love to have an inter-county player playing with them, but, as hurlers themselves, they would be the first to understand), but the affected parties generally appreciate your situation. It isn't ideal, but that is one of the sacrifices that you need to make.

If there are 'career implications of letting people down', then that is a case for the EAT, as not playing in a game of hurling should never have a negative impact on your career. If it is in some way tied in to his contract of employment, then I think the matter becomes more serious again, in GAA terms.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

llkj wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:It's not about which title would a player prefer, but that you have to hold your word. Even if Tannion knew about the fixing of the Turloughmore/Beagh game in time for the throw in of the Interfirms match, he would have been committed and wouldn't have wanted to let his colleagues down. When it's your place of work, there also might be career implications of letting people down. I'd have genuine sympathy for him here.
Can't agree with you on this one LS, if it was a case that he knew that he had a county 1/4 final on the weekend, then he should have pulled the plug on playing in an inter-firms game. This type of thing happens up and down the country, week in week out. You have stuff planned, club games get changed/scheduled and your plans go out the window. Sure, you are letting some people down (of course your work team would love to have an inter-county player playing with them, but, as hurlers themselves, they would be the first to understand), but the affected parties generally appreciate your situation. It isn't ideal, but that is one of the sacrifices that you need to make.

If there are 'career implications of letting people down', then that is a case for the EAT, as not playing in a game of hurling should never have a negative impact on your career. If it is in some way tied in to his contract of employment, then I think the matter becomes more serious again, in GAA terms.
In an ideal world, the latter line is eminently reasonable, however that's not how things actually work, at least outside of the public sector and a few multinationals with massive staffing numbers. As things stand, an intercounty GAA player's life is barely compatible with a modern demanding job, and that player usually needs to get a lot more leeway than your average employee. They can't work late, they aren't available to take calls out of hours a lot of the time, they tend to be very tied in terms of when they take holidays and they certainly aren't available at weekends. One of the few things that the company might get back as a trade off for that lack of flexibility is a small bit of a feelgood factor from a team going well in interfirms and an increase in camaraderie and morale among the staff from a successful on field team effort. If a player can't even help them out on that front, it might be brushed off as understandable, or it might reinforce the notion that GAA comes first and work second in that player's life. Fellow players might understand, as you say, or they might feel a little bit hard done by that the big name guy let them down when they needed him. That won't see the county player fired or anything, but it will be one of many things that might be remembered when staff are being selected for relocation/promotion/redundancy.

Again I stress that in an ideal world that wouldn't be the case and all employees would be judged solely on their contribution to the collective work effort, and equally if your line manager played intercounty for ten years, he/she is likely to understand. However that's not always the case out there and I certainly can think of instances where it wouldn't go down well. Only the player himself knows if that was the case here, I certainly don't, but I wouldn't rule it out is all I'm saying.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

When a County Board arranges a County Quarter-Final for Nov 23rd, you cannot expect a full playing panel. Surely players are not meant to sit waiting for whenever an inefficient Co Board gets around to fixing the match. The DRA confirmed the unsatisfactory manner in which the Galway Co Board investigated the "Beagh Inquiry". In Offaly we have a situation whereby the County Minor Hurling Final is fixed for November 30th next. Should these minor players refuse to play for their school teams until December????

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Sharp Eye wrote:When a County Board arranges a County Quarter-Final for Nov 23rd, you cannot expect a full playing panel. Surely players are not meant to sit waiting for whenever an inefficient Co Board gets around to fixing the match. The DRA confirmed the unsatisfactory manner in which the Galway Co Board investigated the "Beagh Inquiry". In Offaly we have a situation whereby the County Minor Hurling Final is fixed for November 30th next. Should these minor players refuse to play for their school teams until December????
Seeing as today is Monday and the final is on this Sunday, I would absolutely expect that the players involved not play any school games or be involved with any other team this week. If they did, I would be really disappointed with the school coaches for demanding that the player play and the club coach for not mediating with the school coach if any type of question of playing did arise.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

both minor A and B finals fixed for this weekend in Rath on sat and Banagher on sunday. You can be sure that between the 4 clubs involed some lads will have school games in either Birr cs or Kilcormack vs,
School coaches will want them to play and clubs will want them to not make themselves available. Remember a couple years ago we had the terrible situation of lads staying out of school on the day of a schools match.
Anyway there is NO reason whatsoever that both finals are been played on the last sunday in NOVEMBER . Lucky we dint get to the all ireland minor finalthis year :?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

llkj wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:When a County Board arranges a County Quarter-Final for Nov 23rd, you cannot expect a full playing panel. Surely players are not meant to sit waiting for whenever an inefficient Co Board gets around to fixing the match. The DRA confirmed the unsatisfactory manner in which the Galway Co Board investigated the "Beagh Inquiry". In Offaly we have a situation whereby the County Minor Hurling Final is fixed for November 30th next. Should these minor players refuse to play for their school teams until December????
Seeing as today is Monday and the final is on this Sunday, I would absolutely expect that the players involved not play any school games or be involved with any other team this week. If they did, I would be really disappointed with the school coaches for demanding that the player play and the club coach for not mediating with the school coach if any type of question of playing did arise.
How can Offaly GAA expect teachers to give their personal time coaching our younger players when supporters like yourself insist on players not playing championship games for their schools. We are still surprised by the progress of Rugby in Ireland????