Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

Post by substandard »

First up, as this looks to be going off on a tangent, the very best of luck to K/K in the final; it's a big ask, but they've rode their luck so far, and I'm sure they'll raise their performance level next time out.
Secondly, and because I'd have a personal interest in it, I'd have to say that playing a minor hurling final in December is ridiculous.
I think the Tannion incident is unfortunate, but not the same thing at all as schools competitions. As long as I've been involved in schools competitions, there has been a 'guideline' that schools have 'call' on players from the first of November. A few years ago, it wasn't all that difficult to reschedule or postpone schools matches, but the reality is that those days are very gone, and its next to impossible move fixtures beyond a week.
The relationship between school and club is very close and symbiotic- schools more often than not rely on the clubs for facilities as well as players, and this time of year, schools competitions at junior and senior are entering knockout stages. There are player welfare issues, particularly in dual schools, as a good 16 year old could be playing for 4 school teams, and considering the obvious that he is in school first and foremost for an education, could do without being placed in a tug of war between club and school teams- hence the original 'guideline'.
At one of the hurling review meetings, it was implied that not enough is being done at schools level to develop players, and one suggestion was to create more competitions to create more games. As I have outlined, getting matches arranged is already like trying to solve a Rubik cube; the county board must look to ensure that club championships don't run as late again any other year...

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Shows how out of touch lads are here, you cannot ask a player not to play for his school in November, the school games are vital for players also.

Fair enough, try to ensure they are played as early in the week as possible to facilitate the club games, but these would be set in stone pretty much and it is incumbent on the county board to ensure that championships are played off well in advance of October

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

lads back to kk .
was anyone up in parnell park to see ballyhale?
did the win as easily as the scoreline suggests?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote:Shows how out of touch lads are here, you cannot ask a player not to play for his school in November, the school games are vital for players also.

Fair enough, try to ensure they are played as early in the week as possible to facilitate the club games, but these would be set in stone pretty much and it is incumbent on the county board to ensure that championships are played off well in advance of October
It could be argued that the approach that you outline here is completely out of touch too. Just because it is November, does not mean that the school should automatically get access to a player either. If every club/school/county wants access and doesn't want to take into account that the player also has other commitments and needs to be managed properly, then the player will suffer. I think a good balance and working relationship between all parties is vital.

Speaking from my own experience, I know that the club would always have come first, mainly because it was a really well structured setup that our group wanted to achieve as much as we could. On the other hand, our school was a mess, lads showed up to get out of class, training was a joke and management hadn't a clue. When asked to potentially sacrifice a minor medal to play in a school game, I choose the club and am delighted that I did. When faced with similar situations in college, I worked it out with both coaches and prioritsed what was most important, but kept my welfare and priorities in mind when doing so. I bet Tannian is regretting his decision to choose the inter-firms game right about now, over the possibility of winning a first Galway SHC medal.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Sam, I was not at the game....but I saw the (very limited) highlights on TG4 on Monday night and the two goals scored by Ballyhale looked very soft indeed. This would obviously put a very different look on the scoreboard....it appeared from newspaper reports that Ballyhale played well within themselves. ....but you never know unless you were there yourself

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

chris
i saw those highlights too both goals looked soft .
i heard king henry may retire when ballyhale exit the club championship .
ballyhale expect that to be on 17 of march .

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

llkj, we'll have to agree to differ on this point- first up, congrats on the minor medal, they're not easy to win in either code. I think that most now are competitive in their grades and are well coached, or at least should be this day and age. If the school team is properly run, then the chances of a run to Leinster finals and beyond can be a huge experience for lads with their friends from both their own and neighbouring clubs, although I know exactly what you mean about lads just showing up for the day out. My argument is that the club and schools should be able to dovetail without clashes, and it's a pity from what you say that your own school experience wasn't great- if you were part of a well-run school outfit, surely it would have developed and progressed you and your clubmates as players; year on year each of the club, the school and the players would improve to the extent that ultimately the county teams would get there?
Once you get towards college level, you have a far greater degree of maturity and autonomy in negotiating your position with regards priorities, but unless parents intervene, that generally doesn't happen for the average teenager. The fixtures calendar is an onerous task, but if it's broken down very loosely, if we say colleges in early spring, most grades of leagues run from spring to early summer, club championship over the summer to conclude in autumn, that leaves schools over late autumn/winter. Now this is very loose, and doesn't account for dual players or county involvement, but from a school's perspective, it is immensely frustrating to try and train teams when, at this stage of the year, the club scene still isn't wrapped up, and players are under instruction from clubs not to play OR TRAIN with their school. I'm willing to bet that Kilcormac VS had a significant role to play in the development of this K/K team.
Again, apologies for going off track, and maybe this should be on another thread, but tis done now!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

lads i think we all know what ballyhale will bring to the table in the final. their team is full of county and ex and underage players who have wore the black and amber, their defence was there weak link the last few years and in early rounds this year, but Colm Bonnar put Joey Holden fullback, Mick Fennelly centre back and they haven't looked back since i seen them once this year, and the are a powerful side with 6 forwards who can score from 80 yards or more.

kilcormac-killoughey in my opinion are not hurling as well as 2012 or 2013, they look a tired team the last two days out, besides the county final where Rynaghs didn't turn up, in the semil final again Coolderry, who only hurl for the last 10minutes and were near catching them if Martin Corcorans shot was a foot lower they were gone. but in saying that its a sign of a good team who are not hurling well and still winning games, maybe sunday week it will click for them, the 6 backs are hurling well as a unit
young Kiely has come into his own in the leinster run but it would be a big asked looking for him to carry them over the line again Ballyhale.

Dan Currams seems to be out of form the last two game and his battle with Joey Holden and Mahons with Mick Fennelly will go a long way in seeing which way it will go, Ballyhale forwards are deadly Shefflian, Colin Fennelly, Cha, T J Reid, Mark Alyward was all top class players with young Brian Cody to come off the bench this lad is another one to watch out for over the next few years.

where i think k/k might come out on top is midfield where Kilmartin and Leonard should get the better of David Hoyne and Conor Walsh , but then again ballyhale could switch Cha or TJ Reid out there. Thomas Gerarthy will have to start as he can give Tom Coogan problems if he gets the right ball Peter is on a good solid corner back Alan Cuddily and would be on most other county teams and has hurl a bit with kilkenny under Cody, i see wher Alan Cummins came on last sunday he was hurt early in the year his not getting any younger but is still a handful. k/k will be big underdogs for this and it's likethey were 2 years ago again Thurles it will take a display like that to over turn Ballyhale
but the one thing we know about kilkenny teams they don't mind been favourites and always hurl on the big day let it be county club or underage.

it's hard to see k/k winning this as they are hurling one of the top sides ever in club hurling, and i think k/k's long time on the road is beginning to show, lets for forget their is a core of players with k/k who are there since 2007 losing a few county finals and semil's along the way. but their could beone last kick in this k/k team and if they hurl from 1 to 15 along with the bench they can do it
on another note i hope Danny Owens doesn't take as long to make a change in the final if need as he done the last day, as Ballyhale will be a different animal to Raharney and if they smell blood they will be ruthless.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

I heard Dan Currams had a flu on him the day of the semi final so it may explain a dip in his form for that day.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
i think kk did enough to get to the county final .
the 3 in a row was kk aim and they won that final in style .
leinster was all about getting to the final , away both days against ultra defensive teams and they got over the line both days.
d currams has had big games all the finals since 2012 and kk have never lost under d owens when d currams was on the field for the full game .
ballyhale will be completely different and may suit kk more ..
they wont put 3 guys on d currams
i think kk have tryed to manage their peak preformance this year more than 2012 .
in 2012 i think the peaked for the thurles game and were not as fresh in the all ireland final.

i always felt that ballyhale would be in the final and kk will have to bring their A game but this kk team are not like most offaly teams .
kk will battle to the end . this team has great spirit and self belief .
i think ballyhale will have to hurl really well to beat kk if kk hurl to their potental .
if kk can beat ballyhale even with their 5 players that have lots of allstars .
it would be really special for kk and for offaly hurling.
kk are underdogs so the have notting to lose .

i heard a former offaly player say in recent days kk only won 3 county titles in a row because offaly hurling is at such a low and that ballyhale will hammer kk . tj reid will beat them on his own .
that bullshite .
i hope that guy will get a surprise on the 7 of december.
i think he will

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

agree that is bullshit k/k are a fine team and would have won titles in the 80's and 90's
funny thing is i heard another ex county hurler say the same thing but that player had a chip on
his shoulder cause his club never won one god knows they got many a chance we could be talking
about the same man sam88885a :lol: :lol:

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman
we are not talking about the same guy because he has more than one county title but there are still those who begrudge kk success even after doing three in a row .
those guys will probably go to portlaoise to see ballyhale hurl .

hurlus
Junior C

Post by hurlus »

Thats what is wrong with Offaly Hurling, imagine a so call offaly person has to begrudge Kilcormac/Killougheys acheivement.
Kilcormac/Killoughey deserves everything they have won, they show heart and fight in all their games. It would be more in this ex-offaly players line, if he got over his jealousy and begrudgery,and supported Kilcormac Killoughey, the top team in Offaly at the minute. The team that is representing our county in a leinster final.Remarks like that are maddening and disgusting.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

this man has more than one county title to an all ireland as well.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

As in any knock out championship game, KK will have to turn up on the day and I have every confidence that they will. I think Ballyhale will come out and hurl them man for man and I don't think KK will be found wanting when it comes to preparation, energy, passion, and commitment. Granted Ballyhale have some of the finest hurlers playing the game at the minute, but I believe that KK can win this one if they hurl as they can. It will not be easy but if they hurl on the day it is possible. It is great that they go in as definite underdogs as this will relieve some of the pressure and expectation around the parish. There will be some great match ups and whoever comes out on top in most of these big match ups will win the game. Joey Holden and Dan Currams, Michael Fennelly and Conor Mahon, TJ Reid and Kevin GROGAN, Cha Fitzpatrick and Brian Leonard, Henry Shefflin and Ger Healion but the real key coukd be how the two KK corner backs perform. I think the KK forwards are more than a match for the Ballyhale backs, I think KK should edge the midfield battle, but the key will be how the KK backs handle the Ballyhale forwards.....and this will be all about preventing the quality ball coming into the Ballyhale forward line and the KK backs staying on top of their men. On other point of concern is the amount of times KK take the ball into contact and end up giving frees away....keep the ball moving and they can put the Ballyhale backs under pressure.