Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

Post by townman »

the k/k's first game this weekend again wexfords Shelmaliers in wexford park, have to say don't know much about them but been a wexford club in wexford park they will be hard beaten. and there is never a easy match let it be club or inter county level in wexford park and i find it a graveyard for offaly teams over the years let it be in hurling or football.

but you would think that k/k would have to much in the tank for Shelmaliers come sunday and with a clean bill of health and k/ks main players finding form in the county final they will be hell bend on getting another crack at the leinster at the least with some good teams left in leinster still i'd go for k/k
to win it by 5 to 8 points.

i was in at the kilkenny games last saturday evening Ballyhale look very good and they play a lovely brand of hurling Shefflian did ok scored 6 points, they had Mick Fennelly centre back Joey Holden fullback, young Brian Cody caught the eye and will be in with kilkenny seniors soon, TJ Reid and his brother, Colin Fennelly also hurl well, i think they will get out of kilkenny this year, i would be some game if they cross sticks with k/k later on this year.

onthefence
Intermediate
Club: intermediate

Re: Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

Post by onthefence »

best of luck to K/K on sunday I think it will be a tricky game for them.
The KK lads wont be familiar with Wexford Pk and home venue should be a help for Shelmaliers and from what I heard they are a very fit and physical team and should match the double KKs in this regard.
With bad weather on the way im expecting this game to be a dour contest with freetakers deciding it and maybe a goal for Currams.
Ill go for a KK win maybe 1 12 to 11

Chris
County player
Club: kk

Post by Chris »

Best of luck to the KK lads on Sunday......i believe there is some unfinished business from last year.....nothing will be easy on Sunday, but if ye hurl you will take some stopping.....ni neart go cur le cheile

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

wexford hurling is in good health , so sunday wont be easy .
kk know very little about the wexford champions and wexford park but i think they come through .
it wont be easy
best of luck to danny and the kk boy on sunday

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

getting a good irish breakfast into me before the drive to wexford park, weather looks good no rain
best of luck to Kilcormac-Killoughey today, god knows the hurling in the county needs a shot in the arm.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Best ofluck to kilcormac killoughey today. Wexford is a hard place to play but
The kilcormac killoughey hard working forwards can win this game
“Common sense is not so common.”

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

KK win after extra time

2-13-0-18

Goal in injury time to push it to extra time.

Must have been exciting at a minimum.

Congrats to KK!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Well done to kk. They kept plugging away. Lucky to get out of there with the win. Young kiely was the one forward who posed any real threat. Thought he was the difference as shelmalier did not have any real attacking threat either.

gormans goal was super. Himself and currams were very poor and kk will need a lot more from them.

massive room for improvement but a win is a win. Very well done.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good to get the win , never easy away to Wexford teams. Fair play to Kiely great point and great bottle to take the shot on. Room for improvement the next day , well done KK.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Watched it on TG4, having listened to the radio commentary and followed Twitter updates when radio were elsewhere.

So today we got to find out what happens when Kilcormac encounter a team who are as physically powerful as themselves. It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t freeflowing. Anything but. It resembled Ulster football at its worst. While they didn’t play well Kilcormac gave one of those ‘the team that wouldn’t die’ performances that you need to progress in Leinster. While K-K’s character can’t be doubted anyway, today was a character-building experience you can’t buy.

Shelmaliers showed Kilcormac no respect (naturally) and closed down the space in all sectors. The only one who seemed to find room was full-back Ger Healion.

Still, how mad that the only score in the entire second half of extra time was a wonderful piece of individual brilliance? Brilliantly executed. The lad also scored a mighty point on the run in the first half of normal time too.

When I saw during the week that a Kilkenny referee was appointed I thought Kilcormac would be better suited. Anything but! Seán Cleere refereed in the image of John Sexton. I never before saw a Kilkenny referee blow for ‘steps’ and Peter Healion seemed to be on the bare fourth step when blown. The Currams yellow card was only shown on the wide angle camera but not on the close-up camera so it’s very hard to tell what happened. It did seem the ball was loose. Possible the ‘aaagh’ from the Wexford player was the biggest influence here. The decision against Cillian Kiely when dragged down on his own ’65 about 5 minutes before half-time was amazing. And the television replay didn't solve the mystery but was Dan Currams 'done' immediately following his second-half goal attempt?

That said, KIlcormac were lucky to be awarded the free that led to James Gorman’s goal. I thought that should have been awarded to Shelmaliers. Yet another example of a team in arrears getting the break late in the game.

Brilliantly executed goal by James Gorman though. Mighty fetch, and manoeuvred himself well to get the shot away.

And Thomas Geraghty is back.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

what a scrap ,a brilliant goal by j gorman save the day and then young c kielys point deserved to win it , class point .
ref was as bad as i have ever seen kept the wexford team in the game .
kk showed a never say die of offaly teams of old , plugged away when everything was going wrong , kept fighting .
g healion p healion were incredible and c kiely had a great game , last point was class .
today was a wake up call , there are no easy games in lenster .
should focus the mind now for mullingar in two weeks time .
kk will look back at this one when there in a tight spot in the future and know these guys will die in their boots for each other
i never want to see cleer ref a match that kk play again because today kk had to beat the ref along with wexford champions .
up kk

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

The hallmark of any good team is to win when you are not playing well.....Shelmaliers put it up to KK big time.....they were physical, hungry, and kept going all day. ...it was a great catch from Goran for the goal, and Kiely s 4 points from play were superb......but for me Ger Healion was outstanding all day, as good a performance from a full back as I have seen for a long time.....it just seemed to me that we had towork that much harder to get a free, but the lads stuck with it and got the result.

Plenty of room for improvement, but thelads know that.....now llet's get ready to go in Mullingar in two weeks time.....oh, and the crowd from Offaly in Wexford Park was huge. ....

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

yes kk support was amazing ,i say kk supporter out number the home support.
it was a long trip at least mullingar is close to home in two weeks

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

its was like the good old days, An Offaly team pulling out at the stop in the last min and getting over the line. how many time in the past have we seen Great Offaly team play poorly and somehow get themselves out of jail.

Shelmaliers are what i expected from the wexford champions hard working and tough but if Kilcormac killoughey had taking their scored they could have made life easier for themselves.
Again Kilcormac Killoughey had the basic of the game correct. ever player on the pitch work them sock off.
Gorman Goal was outstanding and Kiely apart from the points, Fought and work like a man with 10 years of inter county experience. He points was excellent it funny that he missed his easiest scoring shot but that life and what a lads to come out in extra time and win the game for Kilcormac killoughey.
The Healion's were excellent and Kevin Gorgan was just as good.
They lots to work on Kilcormac Killoughey.
Anyone who think that Raharney will be easy is crazy. Its a real good Raharney team and they love the chance to take the Offaly champion.

S Cleere was the most inconsistent of ref and did his best to destroy the game. let hope we don't see him again.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Did anyone notice the KK supporter heckling the Shelmalire free taker at the end. He was out in the steps down near the pitch. It was hilarious stuff. Some of the Shelmalire subs and mentors were threatening him with hurls. Thought they were going to lace him with hurls.

Also the miss at the end was criminal for Shelmalire. Was talking to some Wexford people and they felt Shels had thrown it away but goes to show how harden this KK outfit are.