Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Kilcormac-Killoughey in Leinster - 2014

Post by ryot »

sam88885a

Sure how could the lads from the "Hurling Clubs" go, twas not in Birr !!!!!!!!

Well done to all who did travel,,,,,,,,,,,,

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

everyone that is an offaly hurling fan should support kk because there a real team , well prepaired , team work , full of spirit , and lots of leaders and no little skill either .
they have qualities as a team that our county team lack .
i think anyone that went to wexford park got to see a real battle but it was a long trip, tullamore is too far for some guys .
i expect even more hurling fans to go to mullingar when it so near .
if kk were to win and get to a leinster final , they will have no home games in leinster
raharney wont be easy ,the beat coolderry a few years ago and the want kk in mullingar .
i expect amother battle .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I watched the normal time of the Kilcormac v Shelmaliers match this evening. A few things -

The match must have broken the record for the number of rucks in a match. KIlcormac are evidently well drilled in rucking. They tend to use their feet alot in the ruck too.

Kilcormac got a very poor return from their own puckouts, which is very rare for them. The first half was well on before they won one at all. This probably led to the decision to go long with the second-half puckouts. Not that this move made any difference to the retain rate.

As a consequence, good forwards' ball rarely went into the Kilcormac full-forward line.

The frees awarded by Séamus Cleere were correctly awarded, with the possible exception of the last one, though it could be said that the challenge on the Shelmaliers player was side-on. And you couldn't complain when a referee penalises a ball-carrier who holds onto a tackler and spins the tackler around. The problem was the frees that weren't awarded. Like, how did Dan Currams and James Gorman become separated from their hurls close to goal early in the first half?

And I think Cillian Kiely's stroke is tidier than it has been in previous years.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Just wondering if Sam, Chris or anybody else were at the KK Ardrahan game? How did KK perform?

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I was at the Ardrahan game..... they hurled reasonably well against a very impressive Ardrahan team for whom Johnny Glynn and Iarla Tannion were very good....Glynn in particular was outstanding and dangerous every time he got the ball. However, while the Ardrahan lads were very much up for it, I did not think that physically the KK lads were able to compete having had two very tough training sessions on both the Wednesday night and the Friday night before the game. I wonder was it appropriate to have a game the day after such a tough training session. ....but I am sure Danny and the lads had their reason for wanting the match. On speaking to a couple of the Ardrahan lads at the game they were saying that thst was only their third match in 8 weeks as they were finding it very hard to find teams that will play them....the beat Kilmallock in a challenge match three weeks earlier....they are a huge team physically and will take some stopping

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Cheers chris. What was the score. Was there much in it?

ardrahan are big into their hurling over there. Where was glynn and tannion hurling and who picked them up?

kk will have to be up for it sunday. If they can match raharney for intensity I think they have more hurling in them.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I think Ardrahan won by 3-4 points......Glynn playe full fforward and centre forward in the second half.....he will be a handful for anyone....they tried to play everything through him ...Tannion played centre back.....a good match up between himself and conor mahon.....i think it will be tight on Sunday but agree KK should have too much hurling for them.....but like all hurling this time of the year....they will have to turn up on the day.

I think their experience will be a huge plus for them....only hope the KK Forwards play on Sunday. ...i imagine thd KK defence should be too good for them

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

expect a real battle tomorrow but i think kk wil come through by a few points . shelmalires game will stand to them .
expect a huge kk crowd and a lots of offaly support for other clubs . last year semi final will have kk on gaurd hopefully .
best of luck to the kk lads .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good win for Shamrocks today again carlow town won by 12 points got the weekend off to a winning start lets hope k/k keep it going on sunday.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Looking forward to tomorrow.
its going to be a hard going but if Kilcormac Killoughey turn up in the right frame of mind they should win.
Let hope Kilcormac killoughey Like shamrock today get up and running early. if they do it could make life easier for themselves.

Raharney are an excellent team and will be up for this game.
If the Kilcormac Killoughey put in the hard work they have build the last 3 years around they should be in the lenister final.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’m thinking Ardrahan can win the Galway county championship. Here’s the logic.

If Turloughmore are excluded and Beagh take their place, Ardrahan will face Beagh in a refixed quarter-final. If Turloughmore are reinstated, the Ardrahan v Turloughmore replay will proceed. Whoever progresses from that quarter-final will face Gort in a semi-final. Gort will be at a disadvantage, coming in stone cold and will face a team who had a recent championship match behind them.

And whoever progresses to the Final will have a similar advantage over Portumna. Moreso Ardrahan / Turloughmore or Beagh who will have two recent matches behind them. And Portumna were not playing well – scraped a group win over Athenry when defeat would have knocked them out, beat Craughwell in the semi-final on a day when Craughwell hit 19 wides. Craughwell were without Niall Healy too. And Portumna beat Ardrahan by just four points (1-17 to 1-13) when the sides met in the group stage in July.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I’m thinking Ardrahan can win the Galway county championship. Here’s the logic.

If Turloughmore are excluded and Beagh take their place, Ardrahan will face Beagh in a refixed quarter-final. If Turloughmore are reinstated, the Ardrahan v Turloughmore replay will proceed. Whoever progresses from that quarter-final will face Gort in a semi-final. Gort will be at a disadvantage, coming in stone cold and will face a team who had a recent championship match behind them.

And whoever progresses to the Final will have a similar advantage over Portumna. Moreso Ardrahan / Turloughmore or Beagh who will have two recent matches behind them. And Portumna were not playing well – scraped a group win over Athenry when defeat would have knocked them out, beat Craughwell in the semi-final on a day when Craughwell hit 19 wides. Craughwell were without Niall Healy too. And Portumna beat Ardrahan by just four points (1-17 to 1-13) when the sides met in the group stage in July.
I wouldn't disagree with that logic. I saw the Portumna vs Loughrea game myself, another one where Portumna dodged a bullet, and they were very lucky to scrape through. They aren't playing anything like as well as they have done in previous years and if Ardrahan are struggling to get challenge games, you can bet Portumna are too. They'll have a few knockaround games against county sides no doubt in the next month or so, but it's not the same thing at all.

For me the danger could be Turloughmore themselves. They aren't quite as good as some people in that club think they are, but they aren't bad either. Ardrahan would beat Beagh all right, but there would be very little to call between Ardrahan and Turloughmore if the latter are reinstated eventually.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

In mullingar. Big offaly crowd. Best of luck to kilcormac killoughey.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good luck KK ,

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Game delay for 10 mins due to the large crowd