Rhode in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by Killeighman »

Lads i thought Rhode had a great year in Leinster but today was just a bridge to far and they were bullied and beaten by a team who didnt perform either. St Vincents will be a better team the next day they go out. Connolly took the Rhode players for a walk in the park today. He wasnt bothered in that game and we could see that. He played around eith the ball and went back when he needed to. He wasnt penetrating the defence like we always see from him. We saw true class today from the Vinnies without even playing to what they can do. They were only at 50% of what they can do.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

not been hard on them timber, but this trying to get Connolly sent off with the game over at half time
as for heads dropped i think when Mossy Quinn scored the goal Rhodes heads did drop, Vincents should have scored 3 more they just walk in at times, and most knew the game was up after 25 minutes
don't know where Rhode go from here as they will still win in offaly but they are years behind club teams in Dublin as seen today.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Do ye think Sullivan deserved to be sent off? I didnt see him do anything in the second incident. I thought it was all Connolly in the incident tbh. Maybe i missed something?

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Agreed killeighman. He was stirrin trouble all second half. And he raised his hand to young mcnamees head also. He seems to find trouble alot.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Hard luck to Rhode, not the way they would have liked to go out, only got bits and pieces of radio commentary as I was on the road (Gerry Russell, sounds like a nice fella, but the match is very much left to your imagination every time you hear "Ahhhch, a terrible ball in there!!!"), but I'm just wondering did anyone see the Sunday World article by Sean Mcgoldrick- very interesting to see the contrast in in championship structures and resources. The type of preparation, for example: MMA training as opposed to a summer of shuttle runs; by all accounts today, Connolly must have really embraced that, although he would have been with the county at the time. Tommy Gill describes how he (presumably only a couple of them) were able to go on a 3 week holiday to the middle east, where they could train away, as he said, 'with the sun on their backs'. Doubt too many Rhode lads could do that...
All the same, it's up to other clubs in Offaly to look at ways of improving themselves and make for a more competitive championship. The best in Offaly have the measure of the best in Meath, Kildare- at all levels and grades, Dublin are pulling ahead of the rest, so maybe-just maybe, if Offaly started 2015 with a little bit more positive self-image, some of the gaps, both real and imaginary, might get closed a little bit quicker.

mickey
Senior
Club: ferbane

Post by mickey »

Town man which town you from? Edenderry? Cause u seem very bitter since the match. Simple facts are conolly should have went after about 20 minutes only ref not brave enough so this shouldn't b an argument. He did it for whole match of course if the ref doesn't sort it you get frustrated and lash out.jeeus some people!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

townman wrote:didn't mind them been beaten as Vincents are a top side and were alot stronger than Rhode, but the carry on of the players, Anto suillvan made a run at Connolly at one stage and stop dead when he got to him then pushed him in the back as he walked away you wouldn't side girls in playschool at it.

also Niall Mac asking the ref whats in it with 5 minutes left and 10 points down he had a look of a player that didn't want to be out there and was as much as asking the ref to blow it up. this was as poor of display from Rhode in leinster they can't blame nerves as they have been there a good few times now.
As always, you're a great fella to put the boot into players after a defeat.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Hard luck to Rhode, they had a good run up to this and came unstuck. They needed a couple of breaks and a better start, which they didn't get.
The heavy conditions also exposed the lack of size and power they suffer. They are a summer team and I can't see this changing any time soon.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

what boot am i putting in, thats whats wrong in offaly we think getting the sh.t kick out of us is ok now, but sure they gave it everything, Rhode were brutal yesterday they should go to kilcorrmac-killoughey and bottle their fight and heart that they showed again the odds last sunday. Rhode just lay down yesterday after 10 minutes as i said they were again a very good team but Rhode didn't have the heart or bottle for it. and yes the O'Suillvans were the talk of the place running around trying to get Connolly sent off after Padraig got sent off lets not forget its not his first time to get the line in this club run nothing between the ears and the line should have knowing what was coming after his yellow card. lets call an ace a ace here Rhode were brutal yesterday with all the talk the whole week about them on the papers and radio and Vincents knew hit them early with scores and they will flop as is what happen

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Hard luck to Rhode, they had a good run up to this and came unstuck. They needed a couple of breaks and a better start, which they didn't get.
The heavy conditions also exposed the lack of size and power they suffer. They are a summer team and I can't see this changing any time soon.

summer team such a loan of tosh so Vincents are a good side because they are a winter team Rhode again fail to turn up in a final say it as it is BNMM.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Was at the match, 'Dingle' got his tactics all wrong, he played into Vincents hands, also how did Heavey and Niall Darby last the full match, they were totally destroyed and Byrne being subbed, could'nt understand that at all. Also Connolly is a tramp, he maybe the best footballer in Ireland and should have got player of the year but the ref was afraid to send him off, can't understand why O'Sullivan was given a second yellow, will have to watch the highlights. Vins were the better side but Rhode did not turn up (again in a final), did too much talking during the week, the talking should have been done on the pitch, 4 lost finals scoring 1-07, 1-07, 0-08 and now 0-06, can't win finals with that low scoring, on another matter why do Rhode persist with Darby taking frees, unless they are 20 yards out he has no chance.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And 10 minutes after you posted this he goes and proves the point for you. Class!
Bord na Mona man wrote:As always, you're a great fella to put the boot into players after a defeat.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'd say the irony will be lost on him, as it gave him another chance to dish out more abuse at players who had a bad day yesterday.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:And 10 minutes after you posted this he goes and proves the point for you. Class!
Bord na Mona man wrote:As always, you're a great fella to put the boot into players after a defeat.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

All-Ireland ref not impressed with Connolly
15 December 2014

Top hurling referee Brian Gavin described Diarmuid Connolly as a “bold pup” after he was involved in a number of flashpoints during yesterday’s Leinster club SFC final.

Gavin, who took charge of this year’s All-Ireland hurling final replay between Kilkenny and Tipperary, and is chairman of Offaly club Clara, made his controversial remark about the St. Vincent’s star on twitter.

Rhode captain Pauric Sullivan was sent off in the 39th minute after picking up a second yellow card following and incident involving Connolly. Thereafter, Sullivan’s brother Anton was involved in a running spat with the All Star forward whose temperament – which has often being questioned – was tested to the limit by the Offaly champions and, indeed, some of their supporters who were baying for him to be shown a red card.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

He should have got the line two times over. Great footballer but i thought he had sorted himself out some way over the year but obviously not