Rhode in Leinster - 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
User avatar
townman
All Star
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by townman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'd say the irony will be lost on him, as it gave him another chance to dish out more abuse at players who had a bad day yesterday.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:And 10 minutes after you posted this he goes and proves the point for you. Class!
Bord na Mona man wrote:As always, you're a great fella to put the boot into players after a defeat.
what abuse did i say about players i said as a team Rhode were a big let down and its another final that they did not turn up for, i'd say most Rhode people said the same walking out of navan yesterday.

all this shit about Connolly the big bad wolf. as for Brian Gavin calling him a pup on twitter he should know better from the outside we look like a bunch of whinning women take our beating.
even if Connolly didn't play yesterday Vincents still would have won well he didn't have to get in to top gear as he didn't have to. what offaly could do with a player like him.

fifitrixiebelle
All Star
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by fifitrixiebelle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 pm

summerindublin wrote:All-Ireland ref not impressed with Connolly
15 December 2014
Top hurling referee Brian Gavin described Diarmuid Connolly as a “bold pup” after he was involved in a number of flashpoints during yesterday’s Leinster club SFC final.
lord help me but dats funny. connolly is a pup but a lad dat swings a hurley head high & hits gavin on de nose (who was he aimin at?) has a jersey sent by de player proudly displayed on twitter by de same gavin. its da way brian tells dem for sure :mrgreen:

dosnt gavin know dat connolly has a kilkenny background? if he did hed be givin out bout dem nasty pups from rhode :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

u can bet townman knows dat....all over kilkenny konnolly like a rash :mrgreen:

User avatar
townman
All Star
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by townman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:46 pm

summerindublin wrote:Was at the match, 'Dingle' got his tactics all wrong, he played into Vincents hands, also how did Heavey and Niall Darby last the full match, they were totally destroyed and Byrne being subbed, could'nt understand that at all. Also Connolly is a tramp, he maybe the best footballer in Ireland and should have got player of the year but the ref was afraid to send him off, can't understand why O'Sullivan was given a second yellow, will have to watch the highlights. Vins were the better side but Rhode did not turn up (again in a final), did too much talking during the week, the talking should have been done on the pitch, 4 lost finals scoring 1-07, 1-07, 0-08 and now 0-06, can't win finals with that low scoring, on another matter why do Rhode persist with Darby taking frees, unless they are 20 yards out he has no chance.
agree i think there was to much talking during the week, Dingle saying Rhode have the best two forwards in the country in Niall Mac and Anto, yes good footballers but not the best in the country its seems to slip Dingles mind we are in division 4 in the league and we are not there for no reason.

as for Connolly a tramp its a bit hard on him don't know the chap myself. but i remember the late paudie o'Shea saying to be a good footballer you have to be half a tramp, there was a programme on TG4 Last week about the 70's and a clip where paudie upended a cork player with a punch straight into the face a lot worse than what Connolly done yesterday or anytime, but as for the game itself everyone in the country knows that if you stop Rhode scoring goals you beat them as the story shows with their points tally in the four finals,

the finger of blame lies with the Rhode team and sideline as why they didn't turn up again in the final not the ref or Dermot Connolly as an excuse why they didn't win.

User avatar
townman
All Star
Posts: 1710
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by townman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 pm

fifitrixiebelle wrote:
summerindublin wrote:All-Ireland ref not impressed with Connolly
15 December 2014
Top hurling referee Brian Gavin described Diarmuid Connolly as a “bold pup” after he was involved in a number of flashpoints during yesterday’s Leinster club SFC final.
lord help me but dats funny. connolly is a pup but a lad dat swings a hurley head high & hits gavin on de nose (who was he aimin at?) has a jersey sent by de player proudly displayed on twitter by de same gavin. its da way brian tells dem for sure :mrgreen:

dosnt gavin know dat connolly has a kilkenny background? if he did hed be givin out bout dem nasty pups from rhode :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

u can bet townman knows dat....all over kilkenny konnolly like a rash :mrgreen:
don't agree with you most times but you are dead right here don't know why Gavin is having a pop at Connolly, i'd say Padraig O'Suillvan has got the line as many times as Connolly has

Fargo Boyle
All Star
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: Kilkenny

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by Fargo Boyle » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Connollys father is from Clara in KK

Imagine if he had stayed in KK what damage Diarmuid would do with a hurl - could be alot of GBH cases

KeshaWantsTimber
Junior A
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 am

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by KeshaWantsTimber » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Fargo Boyle wrote:Connollys father is from Clara in KK

Imagine if he had stayed in KK what damage Diarmuid would do with a hurl - could be alot of GBH cases
Fargo, Connolly is actually a fine hurler and played in an U21 All Ireland final against Galway in 2007.

In fact here he is teaching the Offaly lads a thing or two in the Leinster final.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IAAWKjRa1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2klHjdaNHk

User avatar
bracknaghboy
All Star
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by bracknaghboy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Is there any chance we could discuss the actual game itself?
Dingle quite rightly pointed out the obvious during the week, that being that scoring 1-6 this time around wouldn't be enough to secure the Leinster title.
Then why on Sunday afternoon the team is set up in such a way that they managed to reach a mere 66% of that figure?
The tactic of withdrawing Anton & Pauric Sullivan, Glenn O'Connell and at times Niall Darby in the first half beggars belief. It left just McPadden (who in these conditions will struggle to win his own ball) and Niall McNamee who was not only marked by his own man but had another 3 Vincents defenders in front of him. Any ball Niall got to he was then surrounded and any ball that was broken from him was mopped up by the 3 spare defenders. Most long balls kicked in were into the waiting arms of the loose defenders. Oddly, despite having men pulled back into defense Rhode were opened up to the point that Vincents were walking straight through at times.

The bottom line is that pound for pound Vincents were always going to the better team. Therefore, allowing their defense to have a 5 on 2 numerical advantage is going to ensure that Rhode scores will be scarce. Its a surprise they managed a score at all in the opening 25 minutes.
Garrycastle had a cut at Vincents and exposed them defensively so Rhode had to try the same and that meant keeping Anton closeish to goal and maintaining shape on the half forward line.
The lack of scores and the Vincents goal rattled Rhode and the passes began to go woefully astray. Also midfield were well beaten so overall it was unlikely that Rhode would have won but I was very surprised with the way they set up and I feel Rode are a far better team that what was on offer yesterday.
The Sullivan/Connolly sideshow was due to Rhode frustration of how the whole affair was panning out and Connolly's ability to find himself in these argy bargy situations. The lads should be experienced enough to ensure they didn't get involved with him. If you are hit go down and as Kingscounty said earlier if you do get a red card then make it count!
No doubt Rhode will be back but their chances of landing a Leinster win look remote after that yesterday but hopefully this defeat will spur them on to get there at 5th time of asking.

first_touch
County player
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by first_touch » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Yesterday was embarrassing. What we saw over the first twenty-five minutes reflected all that is wrong with Offaly football over the last few years. No power, no fight, no cohesion. Complete lack of ability to win possession, either primary or secondary, around midfield. And, as Bracknaghboy so rightly pointed out, very negative tactics which totally backfired.

If managers insist on pulling players back then the emphasis has to be on crowding the man in possession and attacking with speed and lots of support play when you get the ball. Rhode did none of that. Most of the time the game resembled a training session (and a light one at that) for Vincents - such was the ease with which they moved the ball around and eased past Rhode so-called defenders. What's gone wrong with Offaly football that we can't put in a decent tackle or hard shoulder? The likes of Paddy McCormack and Eugene Mulligan must have been grimacing watching that rubbish yesterday. The one exception was Glen O'Connell. He tried his heart out, always showing for the ball, and was in hard luck to have to go off injured.

I don't always agree with townman but he is right - it was pitiful seeing the Sullivans getting involved in silly antics with Connolly. Connolly has a nasty streak and is not a likable character to say the least. But it is pointless getting drawn into 'handbags' with him.

timber
All Star
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:53 pm
Club: KK

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by timber » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 am

I think Bracknagh boy summed the game up pretty well. With the game plan Rhode adopted they had to be very economical with their possession. Unfortunately the basic passing let them down. I think 3 or 4 simple passes in first half went over lads heads and out over sideline. It was a killer to see after doing so well to break up a vincents attack. The fact that they had withdrawn 4 of the forwards deep meant that they had to work the ball out of defence to around the middle of the field and be accurate in kicking long. The kick passing was terrible. And midfield was controlled by Vincents which meant Rhode could not have a platform for the likes of Darby, Heavey and Byrne to play to their strenghts.
I hate seeing Anton so far out the field. Of course he burnt a few vincents players with pace out there but where was he going to realistically go. Beat one and two players and slip and have 5 on top of him in a flash. Hes a player who should be close to goal winning frees and being dangerous.

Pauric Sullivans first Yellow was so costly and should have been avoided. Obviously he got badly shafted for the second yellow but does anybody think vincents didnt know that and target it.
The dublin "star" was up to no good from late in the first half when he got turned over on a possession and was not happy about it. He threw a open palm slap at young McNamee's head. He was swinging elbows all day which will naturally upset players. How he stayed on the field with his behaviour was a disgrace. But having said that the Sullivans's got sucked into it and were getting more wound up as the game went on. I thought Pauric had kept his head pretty well and his second yellow was a joke. anton had no need to go near it after that.

boomcha
County player
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by boomcha » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 am

timber wrote:I think Bracknagh boy summed the game up pretty well. With the game plan Rhode adopted they had to be very economical with their possession. Unfortunately the basic passing let them down. I think 3 or 4 simple passes in first half went over lads heads and out over sideline. It was a killer to see after doing so well to break up a vincents attack. The fact that they had withdrawn 4 of the forwards deep meant that they had to work the ball out of defence to around the middle of the field and be accurate in kicking long. The kick passing was terrible. And midfield was controlled by Vincents which meant Rhode could not have a platform for the likes of Darby, Heavey and Byrne to play to their strenghts.
I hate seeing Anton so far out the field. Of course he burnt a few vincents players with pace out there but where was he going to realistically go. Beat one and two players and slip and have 5 on top of him in a flash. Hes a player who should be close to goal winning frees and being dangerous.

Pauric Sullivans first Yellow was so costly and should have been avoided. Obviously he got badly shafted for the second yellow but does anybody think vincents didnt know that and target it.
The dublin "star" was up to no good from late in the first half when he got turned over on a possession and was not happy about it. He threw a open palm slap at young McNamee's head. He was swinging elbows all day which will naturally upset players. How he stayed on the field with his behaviour was a disgrace. But having said that the Sullivans's got sucked into it and were getting more wound up as the game went on. I thought Pauric had kept his head pretty well and his second yellow was a joke. anton had no need to go near it after that.
Timber, You hit the nail on the head. Actually, the last couple of posts have summed the whole game up well. Yeah, Connolly was "playing close to the edge" but unlike watching KK, I was embarrassed to be from Offaly on Sunday.I wonder did ANY Rhode player have more than 50% passing success rate with the foot?

Chris
County player
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:04 pm
Club: kk

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by Chris » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:40 am

I think the last few posts sun it up well......and despite the positive talk coming out of Rhode jin the lead up to the game, I think it was obvious from the tactical set up that they were in awe of Vincents.....on another point, I thought the referee was very poor......now I am not blaming the referee for Rhode ' s defeat, but there is a worrying new trend developing in the game (and Vincents were particularly guilty of it) in the players in possession going into a tackle are blatantly leading with the elbow and not once was this pulled up by the referee. I also think it is easy to criticise Rhode for their non - performance but they have beaten everything else put in front of them this year.

True Red
All Star
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by True Red » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Hard Luck to Rhode - Vincents were the better team and at a different level. Ref wasnt great, tactics etc could have been adjusted but Vincents are a serious team and I doubt they will be stopped from here on in.

In fairness to Rhode, they had a great run this year, beating the Louth, Meath and Kildare champions along the way to the final and that in itself is no mean feat.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

llkj
All Star
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 am

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by llkj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:07 pm

True Red wrote: In fairness to Rhode, they had a great run this year, beating the Louth, Meath and Kildare champions along the way to the final and that in itself is no mean feat.
Couldn't agree more. They are the only club in Offaly that would have been able to put together such a run in Leinster. Some of the other clubs might have been able to win one match, but definitely not 3 games against that opposition.

After the game, I was thinking that such is the quality of Dublin clubs that there really could be a 'rest of Leinster' championship that all the other teams play for and then meet the Dublin club in an All-Ireland 1/4 final type match. Not going to happen I know, but at least it would give something tangible to a team like Rhode who won 3 provincial games. Much like the way the British champions automatically play a provincial winner.

allstar2010
All Star
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by allstar2010 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 pm

True Red wrote:Hard Luck to Rhode - Vincents were the better team and at a different level. Ref wasnt great, tactics etc could have been adjusted but Vincents are a serious team and I doubt they will be stopped from here on in.

In fairness to Rhode, they had a great run this year, beating the Louth, Meath and Kildare champions along the way to the final and that in itself is no mean feat.
Here here, you'd swear Offaly were contesting Leinster finals on a regular basis the way some lads are criticising Rhode. Great achievement to get so far considering the mess we're in at inter county level, if only a few other clubs could step up to the mark like Rhode have in previous champaigns. Well done on getting that far, another great year and they can hold their heads high. Beating the champs of Louth, Meath and Kildare is not a bad run at all.

We shouldn't be running down a side that's flying the flag for the county. The club scene isn't too bad in the county in either code if we can have two teams contesting senior Leinster finals.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Rhode in Leinster - 2014

Post by Plain of the Herbs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Just to put a context on this, no Offaly club has won three successive games in this competition (without needing replays) since Ferbane in 1986. Rhode entered at the quarter-final stage when they reached their three previous finals.
True Red wrote:In fairness to Rhode, they had a great run this year, beating the Louth, Meath and Kildare champions along the way to the final and that in itself is no mean feat.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Post Reply