GAA Central Funding

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

GAA Central Funding

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Just a quick note to draw attention to a long standing inequality that may about to be somewhat rectified.

In an era where Dublin GAA is financially self sustaining through their multitude of high earning sponsorship deals and generous gate receipts from the constant use of Croke Park (among other things), it is unbelieveable the extent to which their finances are still being helped by the GAA as outlined by the article below. Lest also not forget that there are clubs in Dublin with more 3G pitches than we as an entire county have (zero) and that if that wasn't enough, the GAA's new centre of excellence is being built in Blanchardstown. For use by 'all the country', one guess instead as to which county will effectively have a free monopoly on it.

Anywhere, here's hoping the imbalance is being addressed.

Article from Hoganstand.com:
'Dublin GAA to be hit in the pocket.

It looks like Dublin GAA is going to lose out financially under recommendations from the GAA's National Financial Management Committee.

A report in today's Irish Independent states that the Association plans to level the financial playing field across the country and there's a clear recommendation to "reduce the funding to Dublin over time in the interests of equalisation."

According to the paper Dublin's most recent coaching/games development grant was just over €1.5 million, equating to 25pc of the total budget for all 32 counties.

It was more than six times higher than second-placed Cork who received €224,000.

The recommendations comes as part of a wide-ranging review of central funding to counties, undertaken by the GAA's NFMC.

Other recommendations include: allocation of higher grants to smaller counties; abolishing the annual €400,000 hurley and helmet subsidy; adjusting the income share-out from the Allianz Leagues and providing an incentive for counties to market their 'home' games; formally identifying what constitutes a 'smaller' county for funding purposes and reviewing the charge for season tickets and their availability so as to protect league income.'

Toxicity234
All Star

Re: GAA Central Funding

Post by Toxicity234 »

I read this yesterday and have to say that its the most frustration thing in the GAA.
Working in Dublin and watching how much money that is in Dublin GAA is disappointing that were other county is not getting a better share.
And this isn't just Dublin Gaa brand but the Clubs around the city have huge income.

Players in Dublin squad have meals delivered to them in work. Offaly don't have the money for soup and sandwich.
“Common sense is not so common.”

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Can you back up them facts with figures Toxicity234?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

beirut wrote:Can you back up them facts with figures Toxicity234?
Which one?? the food been delivered i seen myself when a lad from the football panel was working in the same office as me.
If you ever had a night out in Ballyboden clubs house it great fun and the price of the pints won't break you.
I used to play indoor football in Good Council on davitt road their. 10 lads at 5 euro a pop and it was imposable to get a booking and even harder to get a seat for a pint in the bar afterwards.
And i've been to almost every hurling club ground in south Dublin.
But honestly I don't have the figures.
“Common sense is not so common.”

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Well AIG and the Dubs other sponsorship's are most likely paying for the din dins for these lads and that's fair enough. Carroll meats might send a shoulder of bacon and cabbage to our boys.

Well speaking for the club I'm involved in, the club house, bar astro pitch and flood lite pitches have been funded by fundraising down through the years. The floodlights are kept going by renting out the pitches to Universities and lads for 5 aside. The sliotars and ahem manager mileage expenses are paid for through race nights, tables quizzes, tesco bag packing etc. The Jerseys paid for by a local sponsor (back in 2007). We pay for physio ourselves, with a discount going to same fella.

Now the money from Croker and AIG money, this covers one full time coach for the Juvenile sections of the club U8-U18, Mon-Sun, matches and all, and rightly so.

So while I agree that Offaly and other counties need a better share of the dosh, I wouldn't put any faith in the Offaly Co Board to spend it on coaches, but rather pay off Tullamore.

I'm not sure how many full time coaches are in Offaly (two is it?), but if Offaly were to get extra dosh I'd rather it go to coaching the underage and managed by Croker!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Can verify that the Dublin players get their lunch if they cant get it themselves, its not a fry that they would be getting either but a balanced diet.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

I got this from an article in the Irish Examiner the other day about Dublin
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ ... 95548.html

"Every club is allocated €18,000 per annum by the board to ensure a Games Promotion Officer (GPO) is working to increase the number of children taking a hurley in their hand."

“The county board is paying half the wages of a GPO, the club the other half. The GPO works directly with the U8’s and U10’s and then coaches the other coaches who are overseeing the older teams. The GPO’s job is to also visit schools, get young lads to join their local club. The likes of Craobh Chiaráin and O’Toole’s would only have one GPO because that is all the board fund. Kilmacud Crokes and Ballyboden have four and five GPO’s because they can fund them themselves.”

Imagine if groups of 2/3 clubs in Offaly could come together and half-fund a full time coach to work in the schools and underage sections of the grouped clubs, with the other half of funding coming from the County Board via the Leinster GAA. There could be some serious work done.
That just shows the disparity in funding for counties outside of Dublin.
only the best...