National Hurling League 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: National Hurling League 2015

Post by jimbob17 »

little bit unfair on that there Sam i'd say...... there was an awful lot more wrong last year than the fitness training id say......management disengaged a lot of players and belief would have been on the floor......id say the apparent lack of fitness was possibly as much to do with players lack ofoff field responsibility as the fitness training itself...... not sure if you are fully accurate on Dooley getting rid part either... Id get that checked out before posting on a public forum...... Quinn is a qualified sport science guy who has a fairly decent rep at what he does..... may not be a hurling coach but as a physical trainer, he would be one of the better and more qualified lads in the county...... either way, it looks as though he wont be part of next years hurling set-up......
jimbob

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

jimbob17
i for one thought it was great to get a guy with j quinn sport science qualification in last year but honestly i was shocked at how poor offaly fitness was .
yes there were lots of other problems but quinn was responsible for fitness surely he has to take some blame too .
i heard lads say club training was harder than training under j quinn .
maybe he is too nice ?
j dooley replaced quinn as fitness trainer while joe was manager .
quinn is well qualified but he didnt improve offaly hurlers fitness this year .
. it may have not been all j quinn fault ,maybe whelahan played guys that had not full recovered from injuries against j quinn advise .
its typical of offaly hurling no one is responsible when thing go wrong .
i look at it this way offaly hurlers were not fit enough last year .
someone didnt do there job correctly .
blame who u like .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Whelehan re-appointment could be happening tonight.
They no word if he has done anything to build bridges to the players he alienated last year.
Disappointed that after all Healy talk of positivity that the most negative manager we ever had, is to be re-appointed.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Offaly Hurling management for 2015. Brian Whelahan & Ger Coughlan and John Troy as selectors. Coaches are in place but need to be confirmed.

Only in Offaly!! Another year with the 3 amigos. Let see how many hurlers will be left in the county by the time this 3 lads are finished.
Its the stupidest idea ever and undermined the other work the county boards is trying to do.
Another lost year with the like of gardiner, Shortt, Kelleher, Sean Coughlan, Slevin, King, and other unlike to return.
with question marks over more hurlers that stayed on the panel but there very unhappy with the management team

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Was it ever in doubt that Brian wouldn't be reappointed? Of course it wasn't...sure the county board would have been in awe of Brian so if offaly hurlers are poor it must be the players fault because Brian's the greatest hurler this county has ever produced!!
This is a disgraceful decision & 1 that will push offaly hurling even further down!! Like surely someone would have done a quick review of the year & seen that things had only gotten worse under him & with a number of player fall outs it would have been a much more sensible option if they said thanks Brian, Ger & John but we're going to try a different approach this year!!
We'll be lucky to stay in Division 1B this year & we can forget the championship!!
Brian should have known he wasn't the man for the job & walked away...instead we get crap like he's too proud an offaly man to walk away...seriously no one would blame him...like he's not right for the job so there's no point having him there as he's taking us backwards & even he must see that!!
The Untouchable

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

firstly i want to say b whelahan was one of the greatest hurlers i have ever seen , his first touch was delightful .he would have been great on any team in any era.
his appointment last year was a set up in my opinion . the guy that had the job dropped out at the last minute and suddenly out of no where b whelahan come in to save the day .
he had no inter county experence , had failed badly with 3 or 4 club team and birr wouldnt appoint him as manager .
so 2014 should have been no surprise , he has form as a manager but its crap form .
if b whelahan cared about offaly hurling he would go away and learn how to be a manager at club level first and when he make it there , then he can set up .
p flannagan has learnt it trade the right way but whelahan like lots of great players think they dont need to earn their chance to manage a county team ,it should be handed to him .
the county board refused to talk to d owens last year when he clearly want the job , which sent out a message to club managers in offaly ,no matter what good work u do with ur club , the county board will show u no respect , we will ignore u .
stupid message to send out to good guys like f foard, j piltington , k martain, b dooley ,d owens k hogan .
look at tipperary they have reappointed e o shea and appointed their manager for 2016 to replace him .
great planning ,
offaly will probably pulling names out of a hat in feburary ot 2015 hoping someone can manage to get us out of division 2 or maybe they extend b whelahan term of another year while he is learning to be a good manager .

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I agree Sam. ....absolutely shocking decision to re - appoint the management team from 2014 for 2015.....iwonder has anyone from the County Board had the common sense to speak with a good cross section of the 2014 county panel to try and understand what the main issues were that resulted in so many of the players leaving the squad....i guess the answer is no!!! Itus not as if the county has 50-60 players that it can xcall on at any time...so why woukd the county board so stubbornlyrefuse to admit tthat there are obvious issues with the management style of the current inter county management team. There is a definition of madness which goes something like.....madness is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result. ....Unfortunately, I believe the result in 2015 will be something similar to 2014....and another opportunity to begin laying the foundations for the recovery of the inter county senior hurling team will have been lost. I have never heard any positive comments from current offaly hurling management....and what we need at this time is passion, motivation, and belief....not going to happen when you hear the utterances from the management team. An opportunity lost.....and a distinct lack of understanding of thd principles of running a successful team by both management and the executive team at county board level.....

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

chris i hope we both are proved completely wrong .
we need to find young hurlers with potental with kk in club action for a while hopefully .
who are the 15 young lads that showed potental this year .
c clancy
e nolan
e murphy
d king
s coughlan
d kelliher
p camon
a tracy
d king
c doughan
g connelly
s wynne
s quirke
s cleary
p murphy
that 15 guys off the top of my head with potental , all under 25
15 guys with potental but 10 or 11 of these guys may not hurl under b whelahan which would be a huge problem going forward . hopefully b whelahan can get all these guy back for 2015 ,we need everyone

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Agreed Sam.....I would love to be eating my words in July or August. ...I firmly believe, and no one will convince me otherwise, that there is a finecrop of hurlers Iin Offaly at the minute, just waiting to be led out of the darkness and intact the light....in the right environment and with a professional set up I think these guys can succeed....maybe not win an All Ireland, but be number 2 in Leinster.....i the problem is going to be getting thebest of them tto go training with the county....i reckon the number of disaffected players has probably grown significantly since last July......

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

it really bothers me that about 40 per cent of our potental county players walk last year . but what i can understand is that no one at club level, county board level or explayers bother to ask why did that happen .
i hope b whelahan learnt that offaly need all these guys and its his job to keep them hurling with the county .
most of the guys he lost last year are our only hope for the future .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

i see the waterford gaa fourm has it senior hurling panel up.

Goalkeepers: SOK, Iggy and Darren Duggan/ Seanie Barry

Backs : Tadhg Bourke, Barry Coughlan, Noel Connors, Kevin Moran, Steven Daniels, Philip Mahony, Shane Fives, Darragh Fives, Brick, Shane Mac, Shane Bennett, Tom Devine, Paudie Prendergast

Midfield : Shane O' Sullivan, Eddie Barrett, David O'Sullivan, Mark O'Brien

Forwards : Pauric Mahony, Brian O'Sullivan, Colin Dunford, Jamie Barron, Jake Dillon, Maurice Shanahan, Brian O'Halloran, Mikey Kearney Stephen Bennett, Gavin O'Brien, Ryan Donnelly, Aussie Gleeson, Cormac Curran, DJ Foran, Martin O'Neill,

With another 5 or 6 to be add.
So there full panel will be around 42 players

Clare squad as well. new addition in bold.
Domhnall O’Donovan (Clonlara), Colm Galvin (Clonlara),Nicky O’Connell (Clonlara), John Conlon (Clonlara), CATHAL O'CONNELL (Clonlara), Darach Honan (Clonlara),
Jack Browne (Ballyea), Paul Flanagan (Ballyea), GEAROID O'CONNELL (Ballyea), Tony Kelly (Ballyea), EOIN ENRIGHT (Kilmaley), MICHAEL O'MALLEY (Kilmaley),
Conor Cleary (Kilmaley), DAIRE KEANE (Kilmaley), Peter Duggan (Clooney/Quin), SHANE MCNAMARA (Clooney/Quin), Cillian Duggan (Clooney/Quin),Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge),Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge), Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge), Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg), David Reidy (Éire Óg), David O’Halloran (Éire Óg), Conor McGrath (Cratloe), Conor Ryan (Cratloe), Cian Dillon (Crusheen), Donal Tuohy (Crusheen),Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle), Stephen O’Halloran (Clarecastle), ANDREW FAHY (Whitegate), Brendan Bugler (Whitegate), Patrick Kelly (Inagh/Kilnamona), David McInerney (Tulla), Patrick O’Connor (Tubber), Patrick Donnellan (O'Callaghan's Mills),
DAVID CONRY (St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield), Colin Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus), Cathal Malone (Ennistymon), Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)

Limerick Squad:
Goalkeepers
Barry Hennessey, Aaron Murphy, Nicky Quaid

Full-Back Line
Mark Carmody, Michael Casey, Tom Condon, Alan Dempsey, Richie English, Richie McCarthy, Stephen Walsh

Half-Back Line
Diarmuid Byrnes, Seamus Hickey, Barry Lynch, Cathal McNamara, Wayne McNamara, Dan Morrissey, Barry O'Connell, Kevin O'Donnell, Nicky Quaid, Tom Ryan

Midfield
Paul Browne, Cathal King, Paudie O'Brien, Darragh O'Donovan, James Ryan

Half-Forward Line
Conor Allis, David Breen, David Dempsey, Kevin Downes, Robbie Egan, Mike Fitzgerald, Declan Hannon, Donal O'Grady, Gavin O'Mahony, David Reidy

Full-Forward Line
Adrian Breen, Dean Coleman, Shane Dowling, Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey, Graeme Mulcahy, Kevin O'Brien, Colin Ryan, Seanie Tobin

Boland was saying in his interview that he was happy to have Whelehan appointed early than last year. Yeah Whelehan was appointed on the 23 October 2013 and reappointed on the 30 October 2014. that earlier in our Chairman head.

Have Offaly lads been called in or are we going to wait until December. if they have who is on the panel??

on a side note Cork Teddy Mc Carthy was up for the u21 job but lost out cause his record at club level was good enough.
Strong rumours that Teddy McCarthy will be the new u21 hurling manager .....the man was a hero and an idol when playing ..those huge fetches magic.....but his record as a manager of teams is very bad ..I don't think hes cut out for it ....would not be a good appointment.
that what one cork fan said about it. If he was in Offaly he be our senior manager sure clubs mean nothing.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I am just wondering why the County Board in general, and Padraig Boland in particular, are so convinced that the current senior hurling management team are the guys for tthe job......is he in awe of some of the members of the management team based on their abilities as hurlers....there can be no other reason. I find it disturbing that the management team has been re - appointed without any attempt to understand the reason for the high number of last yyear's panel leaving and what the reasons for leaving ...and indeed, would they rejoin the panel. It's a bit like pulling the pin on a grenade and seeing how long it takes before it goes off....the only sure thing is it will go off and there will be casualties....but it won't be the guy who pulled the pin that gets damaged. I can just see the outcry around the county when tthe players who left llast year refuse to go gback in...they will be vilified and criticised. .....but they have made their thoughts clear last year and no one chose to engage them when there was an opportunity to make an effort to remedy the situation....its the typical Irish approach.....ah sure it will be grand!!!! Unfortunately, Mr Boland, it doesn't work like that!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

chris u correct but its done now lets hope that b whelahan learnt from last year .
he needs to keep lads playing because if he looses lads at the same pace as last year ,we have j troy g coughlan and sid playing along side rory b carroll k brady j bergin and c parlon.
great managers are able to make lads dream of what could happen.last year.

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

It was very interesting to see thec company Brian Whelehan was keeping in Wexford Park yesterday....and to be fair he was almost as enthusiastic in his support as the KK fans.....

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

chris
i glad to hear b whelahan was enjoying the kk match , whelahan has had a though year ,need to enjoy offaly hurling again
kk show a never say die attuide that is absent in offaly senior hurlers and something b whelahan wil need to create to make progress ,
a wexford man asked yesterday why g healion has not been full back for offaly for the last decade . he lacks pace i said ,his answer was that all he lacks and he does not look slow to me . his a real leader .
i dont think i ever saw g healion ever played a championship match at full back for offaly . guess his too old as slow now?
some warrior .pity really