National Hurling League 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: National Hurling League 2015

Post by sam88885a »

townman you correct is saying offaly havent competed at u 21 or minor level in over a decade but honestly if either u 21 or minors prepaired half as well as the clubs do, they would be much better . county players having to do extra training to make good club team say it all.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Does anyone know if Senior Management has been ratified or when this supposed to take place?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

relax kevin offaly wont be playing laois untill the new year . well pick a manager the week before . our lads are fit enough we dont want burnouit !!!!!!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

sam88885a wrote:relax kevin offaly wont be playing laois untill the new year . well pick a manager the week before . our lads are fit enough we dont want burnouit !!!!!!
Thanks for that Sam. I feel better now. :D

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

kevin
p boland said during the presentation of the 86 and 87 minors on sunday b whelahan the current offaly manager and j troy the current offaly selector .
that suggests that both are staying in the job for another year .
pity i was hoping d owens j dunne and f foard might take over .
guess i was dreaming

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hopefully management can get the best available players in the county to commit to the team this year.

It seems this is going to be a challenge given the number of players who walked last year.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Kevin wrote:Hopefully management can get the best available players in the county to commit to the team this year.

It seems this is going to be a challenge given the number of players who walked last year.
Players all wish to play for Offaly and all invited players will join the panel provided that : Physical training is of a High Standard and Supervised by a suitably qualified person (sports science degree), Skills training is of a High Standard, Players are not left waiting for travel expenses, Players are treated properly for injuries and medical expenses refunded within 10 days, Annual Gym Membership paid for players based outside Co Offaly and Gym Facilities arranged in Co Offaly for players residing in Offaly. Players will not join the County Panel unless their PE Training & Skills Training exceeds Senior Club Standard.

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

sharp eye
good post i agrre with u .
one think u forgot would stop players joining the county panel is if we have a manager whinging and always talk down offaly hurling and their hurlers . players need someone with hope and belief in the players and someone who players respect and a manager who respect his players.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Sharp eye,
All county players have free gym membership already. They are already looked after properly on all fronts. They do have their medical bills paid promptly providing they hand in the correct paperwork. So am not sure what you are getting at in your post.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

All players don't have gym membership paid. I was talking to a hurler recently who has played a good few years at this stage and he has NEVER had gym membership paid.
Another player last week told me he was still waiting on expenses!
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

Great post....and nothing unreasonable in your requests. Shocking, however, to see that issues like this have to be raised in this day and age.

your point Sam is also well made. ....but may well be a little more difficult to sort based on the track record of the current management team...... surely it is not unreasonable to expect management to outline to the players what they expect from them and, in turn, for the players to outline to management what they expect from them.....management, in my view, have a big job to do to earn the respect of the players after the many farces of last year....Most
Iinitiated by management

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

my big corcern is normally a manager does his best work in his first year , he may not get results but he has the foundation for his team .
b whelahan has left the team he took over from ollie baker in tatters .
i cant think of one think that b whelahan did to improve offaly hurling as a manager .
whelahan managed to loose the supporters after the laois game with his team selection.
he had lost the dressing room before march .
how can he change that now????
could he loose even more players this year??? from what i hear he will.
if he does or he doesnt get back most of the guys that walked, offaly be in division2 next year .
offaly hurling need to make a big call , try save offaly hurling or try save b whelahan

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Sharp Eye wrote:
Kevin wrote:Hopefully management can get the best available players in the county to commit to the team this year.

Players all wish to play for Offaly and all invited players will join the panel provided that : Physical training is of a High Standard and Supervised by a suitably qualified person (sports science degree), Skills training is of a High Standard, Players are not left waiting for travel expenses, Players are treated properly for injuries and medical expenses refunded within 10 days, Annual Gym Membership paid for players based outside Co Offaly and Gym Facilities arranged in Co Offaly for players residing in Offaly. Players will not join the County Panel unless their PE Training & Skills Training exceeds Senior Club Standard.
Fully agree and this is a big part of the problem.....It isnt that the players arent there..... The volume of players who left last year was scary for what might happen next year......If most of these feel aggrieved it is unlikely they will go back while I have heard there could be one or 2 more from last years panel that will be slow to go back in....... I too have heard of plyers being left waiting for expenses and medical cover which was disappointing to hear given the big push at resolving hurling in the county..... Recently heard that the new football boss Pat Flanagan is in the process of bringing in last years hurling fitness trainer Joe Quinn into the football set up - not fully sure if this is true but if this is the case then Whelehan will be recruiting a new trainer for the coming year........
jimbob

Chris
County player

Post by Chris »

I had not heard that Joe Quick was going with Pat Flanagan......but I did hear that he was definitely not going with the hurlers next year and that a new fitness guy was awaiting sanction by leinster council!!!!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

fitness was a huge issue last year with our hurlers and lads that came back to the club found it a lot harder than training for offaly .
rynagh clareen and kk lads claim that club training was much harder . joe dooley dropped j Quinn as fitness trainer when he was manager .

i thought it was strange that whelahan appointed him in the first place after he been dropped by j dooley a few years ago.
is p flannagan going to do the same and expect a different result?