Well done Padraig Boland and CB

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truth as i see it
All Star

Well done Padraig Boland and CB

Post by Truth as i see it »

Just wanted to post ay quick message to say well done to Padraig Boland and the CB for the work they are doing in obtaining land and money to develop training facilities for the county squads

Between this development and the open forum they have in my view addressed two of the major issues that needed to be looked at but weren't for a long long time.

The county board have come in for a lot of flack over the past number of years and some of it was deserved and some of it wasn't but on this occasion i have to say well done to Padraig for the work he and the board are putting in, progress is being made and we are finally on the right track (at least to my mind we are)

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Re: Well done Padraig Boland and CB

Post by substandard »

Credit where credit is due. Padraig Boland could be turning into Ed Woodward!! With the type of facilities he has spoken about, plus a high standard of coaching, surely an improvement in fortunes will come.
Patience and good planning are a must, and things like gear and other traditional bugbears will have to be part and parcel of this new scheme.
It's a start, a step in the right direction, and hopefully it will deliver a positive return on investment, and not become a white elephant if things don't run to budget...

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

This is great news and well done to the county board and chairman.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Truth as i see it
All Star

Just after reading Kevin Corrigan's piece in the tribune and while i disagree with his assertion that our current low standing is down to one or two bad groups of players coming through i totally agree with his point that the board can be a soft target at times.

Sometimes i think certain people on this site and maybe Offaly fans in general at times wouldn't be happy unless they have something to whinge about and the county board are the easy option

As i said previously Padraig Boland and the board are starting to get things moving (check out the interview with Padraig on the Midlands twitter site) and yet only three people are on this thread saying well done where as when things are going wrong people are lining up to give out and be the expert on what they are doing wrong and what they would do if they were on the board

Offaly fans need to realize that they can play more of a role that is more than just turning up at matches to watch the team, they need to support the board as much as the players in bad times as well as good after all, very few know who the chairman and the board were when the Hurlers and Footballers had success in the 80's and 90's but they played just as much of a part in our success then and with the work that the current board are starting to put in they will be just as responsible as the players if and hopefully when we start to see success again

As fans we should be looking to stick together and back our own not point the finger, we're supposed to be the faithful after all

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Of course the board are the easy target and while being far from perfect, you'll have a section of people blaming them for absolutely everything.
Having been involved in administration, I don't envy the flak a lot of them will get despite putting in a lot of graft.

That aside, this development is very welcome and a step in the right direction. Of course it won't be a magic bullet that fixes all things in Offaly. There needs to be a collective cultural change at all levels - players, coaches, supporters and administrators to lift Offaly out of the current malaise.
It is a sign of positive intent that might help push things on elsewhere.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In fairness i think people have very good reason to be annoyed at lack of progress in recent times..... we have been horrific, mainly down to poor preparation of teams. Times have moved on from the 80s and 90s and other counties are equipping their managements with proper support structures. this is where we have fallen down and the board is responsible for this. Obviously there are exceptions to what i am suggesting but generally, we havent supplied players with the appropriate scientific support at all levels in terms of

1 Analysis - have we engaged to the same level as other teams re statistics etc
2 Physiotherapy - Have we appropriate access for our players for scans when hurt to help diagnose injuries and aid rehab to keep them fit and avoid future injury through appropriate and sufficient physio support
3 Coaching - Have we good qualified modern thinking coaches that have knowledge to offer and enough of them involved at all levels?
4 Strength and Conditioning - Have we appropriate programmes in place?
5 Psychology - Have we adequate access to sport psychology services?
6 Gear - might seem trivial but this is one of the big bugbears of a lot of players - that they aren't treated as well as other counties in relation to gear and playing boots they are entitled to.
7 Nutrition - Food and Supplements - Are our players appropriately supported in this regard? I have heard horror stories in this regard in recent times!

Limerick underage hurlers and footballers have access to all of the above and as a result have made good strides in recent times doing very well especially in underage hurling! Most successful counties also have all of the above support structures in place for all their teams. Do we? and if we dont and other teams do, would our players feel neglected or annoyed - leading to frustration and eventually disengagement!!! If the county board can answer that they have all of these in place with qualified and respected people involved, only then can they say that they are doing their best. Anything else in my opinion is a load of hogwash and the reason why Offaly GAA is in the state it is in!!!
jimbob

Truth as i see it
All Star

jimbob17 wrote:In fairness i think people have very good reason to be annoyed at lack of progress in recent times..... we have been horrific, mainly down to poor preparation of teams. Times have moved on from the 80s and 90s and other counties are equipping their managements with proper support structures. this is where we have fallen down and the board is responsible for this. Obviously there are exceptions to what i am suggesting but generally, we havent supplied players with the appropriate scientific support at all levels in terms of

1 Analysis - have we engaged to the same level as other teams re statistics etc
2 Physiotherapy - Have we appropriate access for our players for scans when hurt to help diagnose injuries and aid rehab to keep them fit and avoid future injury through appropriate and sufficient physio support
3 Coaching - Have we good qualified modern thinking coaches that have knowledge to offer and enough of them involved at all levels?
4 Strength and Conditioning - Have we appropriate programmes in place?
5 Psychology - Have we adequate access to sport psychology services?
6 Gear - might seem trivial but this is one of the big bugbears of a lot of players - that they aren't treated as well as other counties in relation to gear and playing boots they are entitled to.
7 Nutrition - Food and Supplements - Are our players appropriately supported in this regard? I have heard horror stories in this regard in recent times!

Limerick underage hurlers and footballers have access to all of the above and as a result have made good strides in recent times doing very well especially in underage hurling! Most successful counties also have all of the above support structures in place for all their teams. Do we? and if we dont and other teams do, would our players feel neglected or annoyed - leading to frustration and eventually disengagement!!! If the county board can answer that they have all of these in place with qualified and respected people involved, only then can they say that they are doing their best. Anything else in my opinion is a load of hogwash and the reason why Offaly GAA is in the state it is in!!!
Ok granted i take your point and you're right, past board members are to blame and some of the criticism of those members is justified and i myself have been guilty of throwing flack the boards way but in this instance i think the board are genuinely trying and i think the fans should be just as quick to recognize that as they are to throw them on the bonfire and let me ask you this, if you were on the board and you were constantly getting slagged off for the hours that you put in for the county board on top of your regular job is that going to make you want to work any harder or feel the hours you put in is worth it?, is it going to entice future club delegates to want to get involved at county board level and initiate change for the better knowing that their efforts will be ridiculed no matter what they do? I know we all want better for the county and i'm not saying we shouldn't voice an opinion when something is done wrong but letting the county board know that the fans appreciate it when they do something right isn't going to cost people anything and at the very least it might just encourage the county board to continue on the good work that they are starting to do as i'm sure they like to be told well done just as much as the players do when they win a match

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Of course the county board have to take responsibility, especially when it comes to how county teams are prepared.
But they are elected and replaceable and certainly not an autocratic body.

There is also a responsibility on those involved at grassroots with the clubs for example. Don't expect everything to be pushed from the top downwards.
Is there a strong and widespread culture of excellence in how clubs run themselves and how players look after themselves?
A club being run to a supremely high level would be churning top drawer teams and players without much need of assistance from above.

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

Lets all get behind offaly gaa

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

the County Board will save a fortune into the future if they put together a proper training programme for aspiring managers, coaches and other support staff needed for teams.
eg statistics and using IT, basic management courses - organisational and people, proper coaching courses that have a specified skillset over 3/4 sessions, strength and conditioning, nutrition/sleep/recovery.
people want a well delivered course, that is informative, challenges them to go out and find out more and offers a little qualification at the end.
there is a Third Level college up the road in Athlone and it should be brought on board in terms of delivery, assessment and awarding.

Instead of having to fund these backroom functions on each panel, the talent will be available in the county for county teams, development teams and clubs.

This is what Dublin GAA have been doing for the past 6/7 years - training up people in a variety of areas.
only the best...

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

All rehashed stuff lads,

The bottom line is that I have seen loads of courses put on being poorly attended by club coaches. How can you deliver excellence at the top when clubs who are demanding it are all over the shop.
I have been to a good few underage matches and the standard is woeful by times, especially observing how club coaches behave on the line. Player decision making on the field tends to be poor, along with execution.