Clara v Durrow Junior B football S/F shambles

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Clara v Durrow Junior B football S/F shambles

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

Any word on this game? I couldn't make it but what I'm hearing is Clara won by a point but Anderson had scored it wrong and he had Durrow up by a point. How can this happen?

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Re: Clara v Durrow Junior B football S/F shambles

The word in Clara is there was definitely a mistake here and even one of Andersons umpires had Clara up by one. Surely Durrow should have had the decency to hold their hands up if its a genuine mistake. From what I'm hearing a few Durrow players thought the whole thing was hilarious while a Clara team full of minors were distraught. I have a feeling there would be uproar if this happened the other way round but that's for another day.

blinkers
Junior A

Post by blinkers »

By all accounts I have heard clara won by a point and and as far as I am aware the durrow officials agreed but the ref didn't agree. How in this day an age can a ref not keep the score that's one of the basics of refereeing. I have a feeling match will either be replayed or Clara awarded the game.

hawksforever
Junior B
Club: clara

Post by hawksforever »

lets be honest here we all make mistakes and try to rectify , but in this case nobody could get through to this man. simple fact was clara won by a point,
have durrow offered a replay , should they contact the co board and inform them that a mistake was made and what i heard last night is the result was quickly posted by a co board member who is from durrow.
but this also shows how easy it is for a ref to make an error when recording a score .
come on durrow do what is right and offer a replay to this very young clara team

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

As I stated previously I could not attend this game so I am only going off second hand information but the general consensus from everyone I've spoken to is that all parties involved acknowledged a one point victory for Clara except the referee. This result cannot be allowed to stand. Also how can we justify playing a semi final in any grade without a score board in operation. This would at least give a neutral adjudication.

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Wasn't at the match yesterday, but Clara had no business bringing their protest to the junior football match quarter-final in O Connor Park today. Ballycommon were out on the pitch for the 1pm start, but Clara did not appear until 1.17pm, as they were making a protest over yesterday's result. Very bad sportsmanship and disrespectful to Ballycommon. They were not responsible or involved yesterday, but had to wait 25 minutes in the rain for the match to start. Result was never in doubt in this match,but sportsmanship not on show from Clara. Very petty behaviour from them.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Obviously I wasn't in attendance, but this is one of those situations that's very clear cut by the rules - the referee's report is final and if Tommy Anderson says that Durrow won by one, then Durrow won by one. The only way that can be overturned is by an unbroken, unedited recording of the game.

I wasn't talking to any officials of Durrow GAA club either so this is entirely hearsay, but I'm not sure either that Durrow are in agreement with Clara's version of events. I've been told otherwise, but again, that's not from any official sources, either on the county board or within Durrow GAA.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Lone Shark I'm sure that will be Durrows official line but I'm well advised by players that were on the field at full time that the Durrow players were aware Clara had won by a point. It wasnt a huge scoring game. Players would be kept up to date of the score from the line, especially in a knockout game.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Abercrombie Fitch wrote:Lone Shark I'm sure that will be Durrows official line but I'm well advised by players that were on the field at full time that the Durrow players were aware Clara had won by a point. It wasnt a huge scoring game. Players would be kept up to date of the score from the line, especially in a knockout game.
That's as may be, but I'm sure you're well aware that it's about as relevant as Johnny Buckley having a word in Lee Keegan's ear to say that he thought the red card last Sunday was harsh too.

I'm not really sure what Clara expect to happen out of this. Even if we take it that their version of events is correct, there is lots and lots of precedent for this is in the GAA and unless either (a) the referee changes the score for his report, (b) there is video footage of the full game, or (c) the losing team offers to replay/concede and the county board accepts, then there is nowhere for this to go - it's no different to a dodgy penalty or a contentious sideline ball that turned out to be the difference between the sides.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

So at the final whistle was the losing team celebrating as if they had won. While the winners had heads down as they started walking off. When were the teams informed of the 'score' of the game? Are we talking about a 2 point swing in a low a oring game? Hope nobody got hurt.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

only in offaly would you see it :oops:

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

townman wrote:only in offaly would you see it :oops:
Pipe down Kilkenny man :D

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Sure didn't the same thing happen a few years ago with Drumcullen Vs Lusmagh. Drumcullen Won the 1st round game by a point but the ref had it as a draw. at the end of the league stage Lusmagh avoid relegation and Drumcullen were relegated because of the ref mistake.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I remember it well, Tox. Drumcullen won that match by a point but the referee missed a Drums point somewhere along the line, to the astonishment of everyone present. Lusmagh were the victims of a similar miscalculation around about 2000 when they thought they drew with K-K in Rath but found out during the match that one of their first-half points hadn’t been recorded.

It’s probably happened to most clubs somewhere along the line. And not just in our county either. I wonder too if it happens more often than we know about – it only becomes an issue when it affects who wins and loses at the end of the game.

It probably happens most referees over the course of their refereeing careers. It can easily happen too – referee gets distracted immediately following a score (perhaps there’s a small melee as the flag is raised, the referee move to deal with the outbreak and then restarts play and forget to mark his scorecard. In the Durrow v Clara incident I can only assume the referee credited the point to the wrong team.

There’s a simple way around this. The referee should ask an umpire at each end to keep the score. The referee will generally have brought the umpires with him – he might have to make 10 phone calls to acquire four umpires but he can surely trust two of the four to keep the score in case of a catastrophe. Of course, getting some referees to bring umpires with them (instead of them depending on the host club and diverting lads who are stewarding, collecting money or parking cars) to matches would be an achievement.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Durrow have offered Clara a replay according to Kevin Corrigan. In the County Boards hands now. Fair play to Durrow GAA. Wonder will Tommy Anderson ref it :D