Intermediate Football Championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman
Senior

Intermediate Football Championship 2014

Post by offalyman »

After this weekends of results, Raheen are the first team to qualify for a semi final...after there very easy victory over Cappincur, Pauric Farrell has done a very good job sense taking over at the start of the year and with the addition of some very talented young players..coming through this could be at last Raheen's year.Cappincur will still progess to the knock out stages,but Declan Kelly's men will have to improve alot to turn the tables on Raheen.Shannonbridge are a very hard working determined team that dont give alot away,but there probably missing one or two forwards to go all the way..but they should make a quarter or even Semi-final. Shamrocks and Doon both drew with each other at the weekend and both look set to go through to te knockout stages aswell as Durrow from group A

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Re: Intermediate Football Championship 2014

Post by Buttons »

Yes it appears that Raheen and Shamrocks will top their groups and qualify for a semi final and thus go up to senior B next year. The quarter finals will be Doon/ Durrow on one half playing Cappincur/ Shannonbridge on the other side. Durrow/ Cappincur would be the stronger teams but line up wont be known until after the next round of games especially with Cappincur playing the bridge.

Kilclonfert could still qualify but would have to beat Shamrocks and hope Durrow beat Doon

honey badger
Junior B
Club: Offaly

Post by honey badger »

Durrow or shamrocks for me :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Am sure that Shamrocks goal now is to win the intermediate hurling, this might affect the football . Ballinamere will lose to Kil/Kil on saturday so all efforts will go into football then with Durrow. Raheen would be favourites overall for me with 50 50 Durrow and Shamrocks.

At start of year the goals for all teams in intermediate would be reach semi finals and qualify for senior B or risk playing in the third division for years.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

James Coughlan could win the championship for Doon, some performance agin the Bridge, although Bridge fitness was very questionable!

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Shamrocks are favorites to win this out for me pending they don't receive any injuries in the hurling final next weekend. Some of their players like NIgel Dunne, Karl Mollen, Daire Minnock, Paddy Kelly are key to both teams. They will face a tough task against Durrow in the semi final and I expect this local derby to be a crunch hitting affair. Shamrocks just seem to have a lot of talent up front with Nigel Dunne and Paddy Dunican especially.

Raheen will be favorites to beat Doon because they topped the group. I fancy Doon for this one. Doon have drawn with Shamrocks and beat Durrow and the Bridge in their last two games with ease. They are striking form at the right time and havin Coughlan back in flying form is just what they want. Raheen have played a competative match in weeks and losing their last group game will have to have an affect on them.

My bet is a Doon and Shamrocks final!!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Not much between the last 4. Shamrocks are probably favourites even though they were very lucky to scrape past Durrow already and again were very poor in drawing with Doon which could have went either way.

Obviously winning the hurling for Shamrocks is vital for them. Another year in intermediate hurling will be no benefit to them. They have to get back up to senior level and thats where players will learn and develop. Plus they may get some key players back next year which would be needed for them to survive in senior. With the new football system they have already qualified for senior B. Now that wil be along way off senior quality standard anyway but should at least be a competitive championship. Obviously any player involved will want to win the intermediate football but if they could only win one it has to be the hurling for their development. Getting back to the top flight in both codes has to be the aim for the club. But no question about it they will want to win both intermediate championships anyway and in reality should based on the standard Ive seen.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

So it's a Raheen and shamrocks final. Raheen couldn't have been more impressive Saturday 2-16 to 0-06 was the final score over Doon and they could have won by more only for some wasteful shooting..Shamrocks also won well in the other semi 3-14 to 2-07 over Durrow.. The best two sides are in the final I'm going for a Raheen win as I see them having to much firepower upfront.. Raheen by 3..

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

offalyman wrote:So it's a Raheen and shamrocks final. Raheen couldn't have been more impressive Saturday 2-16 to 0-06 was the final score over Doon and they could have won by more only for some wasteful shooting..Shamrocks also won well in the other semi 3-14 to 2-07 over Durrow.. The best two sides are in the final I'm going for a Raheen win as I see them having to much firepower upfront.. Raheen by 3..
Yes agree Raheen were very impressive at the weekend. They absolutely destroyed Doon and still could have won by more. Alot of people have been talking about this Raheen team as favourites all year and they seem to be living up to it.

I wont write off Shamrocks though. I think if they play as a team they can win it. The club has a bit of momentum going after winning the intermediate hurling which was vital. And next year in Senior B will be another important year and hopefully building a squad to get them back to the top grade. I fancy them to cause an upset and win it.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Timber how can you say for Shamrocks to cause an upset and win with them favorites all year.

Was very impressed with Raheen but I was also more disappointed with Doons performance. Their fitness and all round shape and play was that of junior standard and they will struggle in Senior B next year.
Raheen are very strong at 3,6,8 &9 with Padraig Bracken bossing the midfield. Reynolds and Rigney where excellent in the corner but their wing forward caught everyone's eye. His bursting speed caused havoc.

Shamrocks and Durrow was a much more competitive game for the first 40 mins with Shamrocks sealing the victory by 10 points. Missing their only county footballer through injury Shamrocks still looked very strong. Nigel Dunne was excellent and carried the can up front for much of the game. The game game changed with the introduction of David O Toole who split Durrow with his pace and ball carrying for the last 20 minutes and completely changed the game.

Final is fixed for Saturday 11th in OCP.. Fancy Shamrocks to narrowly win (3 points or less)

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

kaiserchief wrote:Timber how can you say for Shamrocks to cause an upset and win with them favorites all year.

Was very impressed with Raheen but I was also more disappointed with Doons performance. Their fitness and all round shape and play was that of junior standard and they will struggle in Senior B next year.
Raheen are very strong at 3,6,8 &9 with Padraig Bracken bossing the midfield. Reynolds and Rigney where excellent in the corner but their wing forward caught everyone's eye. His bursting speed caused havoc.

Shamrocks and Durrow was a much more competitive game for the first 40 mins with Shamrocks sealing the victory by 10 points. Missing their only county footballer through injury Shamrocks still looked very strong. Nigel Dunne was excellent and carried the can up front for much of the game. The game game changed with the introduction of David O Toole who split Durrow with his pace and ball carrying for the last 20 minutes and completely changed the game.

Final is fixed for Saturday 11th in OCP.. Fancy Shamrocks to narrowly win (3 points or less)
I would not have put Shamrocks as favourites all year. Lets be realistic and remember this is a completely different team from the team that was one of the better teams in senior football for a decade. Its very much a rebuilding process and this team has along way to go to get back where they were. They are still a bit off senior standard but they are working hard to get back there.

Shamrocks drew with Raheen over in Cappincur last year when they last met and Shamrocks were hanging on by a thread that night. Raheen have a nice number of players back that missed last year. They also struggled to pull off a draw against Doon recently who were slaughtered by Raheen in the semi. Raheen could of and should of really won by more also. They were massively impressive and chatting to a number of mates from other clubs, they see this as Raheen's championship.

I still think Shamrocks will give it a good crack and I think they will win it if they move the ball fast. I think they will have learnned from last years mistakes and alot of lads have a point to prove after a couple of very poor years. The momentum from winning the hurling could well play a big part too.

Good luck to the Shamrocks lads and hopefully they can get the win.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Raheen 0-12 Shamrocks 1-09

Raheen and shamrocks will have to do it all again next saturday(to be confirmed) as both teams served up a highly entertaining Indermediate Final today. Raheen came flying out of the blocks and were three points to no score up after 5 mins,Danny mcEvoy and Paddy Rigney (2),Shamrocks finally got on the scoreboard after 6 mins with a good point from Packie Walsh before Mcevoy responded with two more glorious points to leave it Raheen 0-05 to Shamrocks 0-01 after 12 mIns. Amazingly that would be Raheen's last score of the half and 2 points from Nigel Dunne (free) and one from Johnny o Toole would leave the scoreline 0-05-0-03 in Raheen's Favour at the break.
It was Shamrocks turn to start well in the beginning of the second half with two good Scott Delaney points and another from Patrick Dunican to put them ahead for the first time.Shamrocks now dominating midfield especally Minnock,attack after attack followed,Suddenly foul on Dunican in the square,Penality Shamrocks..... Dunne steps up...blasts it over the bar..Let off for Raheen,From the resulting Kick out Raheen win a free down the far end which Richie Reynolds converts to leave it ... 0-07-0-06 to shamrocks. The score of the game followed a beauty from Dunican 15 mins to go Shamrocks by 2..Raheen starting to look in a bit of trouble and stuggling for scores,Suddenly Declan Byrne springs to life...and starts to win ball again in Midfield, a soft free awarded point Raheen, one in it again quickly followed by a beauty from Mcevoy..Sides level 10mins to go.
Raheen now back on top all over the field points followed Rigney, and one from John Crombie
0-11-0-09 Raheen 5 mins on the clock.....Ben Ridgeway then gets a great pass from Brain Crombie and Ridgeway is straight through on goal.....Must be....NO.. bang off the crossbar rebounds back out to Crombie over the bar Raheen by 3 a minute to go.......Short kick out Shamrocks build from the back a great team move....there on the 45.. there on the 21..the ball ends up with Dunne his shot is deflected...straight into the arms of Scott Delaney....GOAL shamrocks....Draw Match...into stoppage time...Blow it up to be F..ked..someone shouts from crowd..Referee Davy Walsh has other ideas..we play on..Raheen win the kick out Byrne into Mcevoy, Foul...Free in to Raheen 25 yards out straight infront....Up steps Rigney.....he miss kicks it..... falls to Dylan Hyland his over head effort tails to the right and wide.....Game Over Draw Match....Bring on the Replay....

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Raheen well deserving Champions...