Matt Connor The Greatest GAA Footballer of all time?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfaillian fear
Junior C

Matt Connor The Greatest GAA Footballer of all time?

Post by uibhfaillian fear »

Watching the Sunday Game there last night. In a conversation about the Kerry Galway match, Martin Mchugh said that Matt Connor was the greatest player he had seen in his time and reckons James O'Donoghue from Kerry may have the potential to match him.

I also saw an article in the Sunday Times yesterday where a journalist was referring to Offaly's 5 year incremental win in '82 as a possible inspiration for the Mayo side of today. What a pity that they aren't talking about fooballers or hurlers that much from Offaly today.

That aside, being objective could Matt Connor be described as the greatest GAA footballer? Who'd be the contenders for that accolade?

More importantly for Offaly, can past achievements in hurling and football inspire today's Offaly teams, or is it a millstone around their necks that they need to acknowledge and move on from?

Two questions here for a discussion I suppose.

townman
All Star

Re: Matt Connor The Greatest GAA Footballer of all time?

Post by townman »

Matt was a once in a life time, i haven't seen better and older than me from outside of offaly say the same. my first time to see matt in action was the 1980 leinster football final when he turn John O'Leary
upside down in the net with a great goal his point after over on the hogan stand was pure magic.

his goal again Ferbane in the county final was another, my father told me the two goals he got again ST.Joephs of laois in the leinster club final in croker were class. as Cril Farrell would say you can have your Sheedy's or Spillane's but their will be only one Matt (the the Trasher) Connor.

boomcha

Post by boomcha »

For me, Matt Connor is the greatest of all time.

He is the top scoring inter county Gaelic footballer of all time with 38 - 383 between league and championship. This statistic alone is enough for me, while keeping in mind that football is not all about scoring. Combine this with 3 All-Stars, 1 All Ireland, 3 Leinsters, 6 county championships, 2 Leinster clubs, his strength in the air, his sidestep, freetaking ability and how he conducted himself win or lose.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Unfortunately I was too young to remember seeing him in full flight. (I was at a few games but busy rolling down the hill in OCP at the time!)

However the esteem in which he is held by the greats from that Kerry team alone would say that they felt he was one of the greatest forwards the game ever produced. His scoring record, his balance, 2 accurate feet, freetaking, and ball winning ability were all top class.

The one thing for me is that I find it hard to say one particular player could be the best, but the one thing I would say is that he would be a player that would thrive in the even faster environment of the modern game.

As a natural footballer Matt was class, as was Tomas and Dara O Se, Sean Cavanagh, Padraig Joyce, The Gooch, Jack O'Shea. Ye can add to the list as you see fit. I'm sure he is happy to be ackknowledged for his ability but very hard to name the best ever footballer, for obvious reasons.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Regarding past achievements, if I was a player, I think I would be aware of the achievements but would see it as an inspiration than a hindrance or burden.

But lets face it, a 20 yr old coming onto the panel now, was 4 when Offaly last won an All Ireland in Hurling and 3 when we won Leinster Football. So I cant see how it can be a burden, except when some bollox decides to tell him he is wasting his time training with Offaly, their not a patch on past players!

No, current players suffer more with the low level of expectation that exists around our county teams and they along with our support can rectify that.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

true Ahlethimoutwithit, players today won't have to compare themselfs to what the Trasher connor done in his time, as i said he was once in a life time and i don't think we will see as good again, well not in my life time.