Pat Spillane Offaly Football and All Ireland Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
alltheway
Intermediate

Pat Spillane Offaly Football and All Ireland Championship

Post by alltheway »

A Midlands 103 interview with Kerry legend Pat Spillane.

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/pa ... ore-motors

timber
All Star

Re: Pat Spillane Offaly Football and All Ireland Championshi

Post by timber »

Any update on potential candidiates for the county senior football management?

Talk of Flanagan but looks like he will be sticking with Sligo.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Once Pat got over the rehashing of '82, he comes across very well in this interview.

It was refreshing.

Thanks for posting alltheway.

Timber, I almost forgot about him. Pat Flanagan not only survived the madness that surrounded Westmeath a few years ago he then led them to Division 1. This magnitude of the accomplishment was muted as they decided to sack him after the championship. It was a startling achievement. Perhaps they did him a favor as it seems to have turned out pretty well for Sligo.

Despite his expectation setting comments that may have hit the Westmeath brass the wrong way his record speaks for itself. I would not know him at all, but his activities over the last few years seem to describe an extremely ambitious, highly motivated organized manager who doesn't acknowledge when odds are stacked against him.

He may be out of our reach today, but we'd be happy to have him some day I'd imagine.

A Westmeath/Offaly Championship game is always a big deal, but if Flanagan ever leads us against them it might be even more tasty.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

never like the bollix spillane, the year offaly 25th all ireland team team were brought out before the all ireland Brendan Lowry step out to wave to the crowd, Spillane said if Jimmy Deeinhan had to been playing in that final that lad their there as in Lowry wouldn't have scored them 3 points, he hadn't the manners to mention by his name. they can win 100 more all irelands but 1982 is the one they wanted and spillane will bring it to his grave his a bitter c..t.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

[quote="townman"]never like the bollix spillane, the year offaly 25th all ireland team team were brought out before the all ireland Brendan Lowry step out to wave to the crowd, Spillane said if Jimmy Deeinhan had to been playing in that final that lad their there as in Lowry wouldn't have scored them 3 points, he hadn't the manners to mention by his name. they can win 100 more all irelands but 1982 is the one they wanted and spillane will bring it to his grave his a bitter c..t.[/quot

i think you could give him a run for his money :D

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Ok, so Spillane is bitter over 82....I'm sure if you spoke to any player past or present who lost an all Ireland final they'd be bitter about it too, the 5 in a row would have been massive for them & for them to lose it like they did was hard to take...missing a penalty & then conceding a slightly dubious goal!!

The thing that I found interesting was that he acknowledged how average Kerry teams after won 3 more all Ireland's as a result of that defeat...shame the opposite happened in Offaly where we celebrated the all Ireland for the next 15 years before we got our act together again!!

His point about any team coming together like Donegal did & really boosting their standing in football is very relevant, as bad as we think we are today...if you got the right manager & players to be 100% dedicated for the year then there's no reason why we couldn't become a force once again & get back into the top 8 counties in ireland
The Untouchable

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Truth as i see it wrote:
townman wrote:never like the bollix spillane, the year offaly 25th all ireland team team were brought out before the all ireland Brendan Lowry step out to wave to the crowd, Spillane said if Jimmy Deeinhan had to been playing in that final that lad their there as in Lowry wouldn't have scored them 3 points, he hadn't the manners to mention by his name. they can win 100 more all irelands but 1982 is the one they wanted and spillane will bring it to his grave his a bitter c..t.[/quot

i think you could give him a run for his money :D

i have nothing to be bitter over Truth as i see it, lucky and old enough :) to see offaly's win in 1982,
as well as our 4 hurling all irelands, and my clubs 4 club all irelands and 7 leinster club titles. so to tell you the true it wouldn't bother me if they never won again i have seen my county and club win everything lucky enough, and to beat kerry in an football all ireland and kilkenny in a hurling all ireland sure what more can you asked for, now someone like your self that might not have seen all above could be a bit bitter :wink:

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Some of the more high profile members of the Kerry set up at that time are the most grudging of Offaly's 82 success

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Your a mine of information Turk

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Your a mine of information Turk

I like to be informed about things.