Offaly GAA is in Some State

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you for that, Anfearban

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Anfearban wrote:I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Anfearban » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 pm

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thank you for that, Anfearban

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Anfearban wrote:I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.


No problem POTH. Happy to share! I really hope Offaly GAA can make use of Mr. Butler. The article reads like an open invitation to me. A flavour in the clips below. If anyone reading this is involved in underage coaching...ring him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qa8R5_XFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6-y3isDNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj1dxeT1DMg
Anfearban
Junior A
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:20 am

Radio 3
Lone Shark wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Now, many supporters appreciate and value Radio3’s coverage of GAA. In fairness to them , they are (I think) the only radio station to cover three counties, there is a difficult balance to strike and I think they generally do it well. They also cover plenty of other sports, Junior soccer, Senior and provincial rugby, Mullingar dogs, Portlaoise basketball, local cricket, horse racing and much more.


They aren't the only radio station that attempts to cover that number of counties, but they are the only ones to do it properly. Ask anyone in Leitrim about Shannonside radio and you'll quickly be informed about how it's far from the norm for a radio station to be able so cover three territories properly.

It's to the immense credit of Will O'Callaghan that I knew the man for a good while before I knew where he was actually from - such was his depth of knowledge and interest in all three counties. Genuinely, we're blessed to have him.


On the general points raised, I note that we're in group three of the minor league, and that Kerry have dished out similarly big beatings to Wicklow and Meath - so I'm guessing that the next game might not be a foregone conclusion to the same extent. Also, Westmeath, Carlow, Wexford and Dublin are all taking part as well, but are in different groups. If we're in this group on account of seeding that's one thing, but it may just be the draw, which is hardly something that people can be blamed for.

The social media aspect is of course unforgivable. Even if Midlands 103's service was poor, it would be ill-advised to take shots at them, while to do so in the situation that existed simply defied belief. You'd like to think that both a public and private apology would be forthcoming, but there's no sign of the former anyway. This is all happening in an environment where the only promotion of our games is in the local media. The county board website has had two pieces of news up on it in the last ten days, while games like minors hurlers playing at home, the county under-21 football final, and a round of county under-21 hurling quarter finals all went without mention or preview.

As for the Paudie Butler comment, well that's just the latest in a long line of anecdotes that makes me despair.


Radio 3 is great for my purposes.

They bounce around to all the relevant games they can and the announcers are generally passionate, but clear. Hardly have any problem getting a feel for what is happening.

The guys that cover the games are clearly 'radio announcers' (meaning they comment on every turn of the screw). That is important for the radio listener.

I did not notice any outages during the game. I'm listening over the Internet and do not recall much buffering even. Was giving the screw gun a workout that day and did tune out (no pun intended) when they went away from the Limerick game.

If I email the station with a comment or a question they never fail to get back to me.

For those of us who have limited options for keeping up with the real time action, they provide an awesome service.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Kevin
All Star
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Kevin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:30 am

Anfearban wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thank you for that, Anfearban

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Anfearban wrote:I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.


No problem POTH. Happy to share! I really hope Offaly GAA can make use of Mr. Butler. The article reads like an open invitation to me. A flavour in the clips below. If anyone reading this is involved in underage coaching...ring him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2qa8R5_XFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6-y3isDNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj1dxeT1DMg


Anyone who ever deals with or plans to coach or work with children should have a look and listen to the first video (if not all of them). What Paudie states in the first one applies to just about any learning experience. Really good.

Thank you very much for posting Anfearban!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Kevin
All Star
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby azoffaly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Anfearban wrote:I have been at a few of Paudie Butlers coaching sessions and presentations. Anyone who doubts the man should go along to some of them. In Clare he has really inspired several of their full time coaches (check out Peter Casey on twitter for a flavour) going around the schools and clubs with the main emphasis on getting as many kids as possible playing, improving the coaching skills of club coaches and teachers and passing on the fundamentals of coaching so to keep both coaches and kids involved, enjoying their sport and doing the basics right. It may not win an Ireland today or tomorrow but it may well do in 10 years time. BTW I believe he coached 3 minor Tipp teams to Munsters. Could be wrong but he is a joy to listen too. He accepts that he has made every mistake there is to make in coaching but the man is on the right track about how sport should be coached and played and is evangelical in promoting it. IMHO Offaly should be begging the man to get involved.

That tallies with what a lot of people say. Paudie's training sessions are supposed to be very well run and players and coaches get a lot out of them. From what I've seen they have good drills which are very imaginative, fast paced and most of all enjoyable. His enthusiasm is huge and he really is a hurling evangelist.


Paudie Butler is an inspirational figure. All you have to do is talk to him, and you come away buzzing about hurling. He's coming to our club to do a session in ball wall techniques, and I've spoken to him a few times. His head is screwed on, and he really is, excuse the hyperbole, a 'hurling man'. By that I mean a man that wants everyone to enjoy the game, and wants everyone who plays it to be coached as well as possible to enhance their enjoyment of it.

Evangelist is the right word for him, and I find him a gentleman as well.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
azoffaly
All Star
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Tipperary

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby first_touch » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Is your club in Offaly, Azo?
first_touch
County player
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Toxicity234 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:22 am

I see croke park have taking over the o'connor park debt and the county board has redused the debt from 450,000 to 160,000.
It's great work from the county boards.

I would post the link from hogan stand but for some reason I can't
“Common sense is not so common.”
Toxicity234
All Star
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby azoffaly » Thu May 14, 2015 1:58 pm

first_touch wrote:Is your club in Offaly, Azo?


Sorry first touch, just saw this now! My club is Newport in Tipperary. My home club is Ferbane, but Paudie is coming to Newport.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
User avatar
azoffaly
All Star
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:02 pm
Location: Tipperary

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby The Biff » Thu May 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Toxicity234 wrote:I see croke park have taking over the o'connor park debt and the county board has redused the debt from 450,000 to 160,000.
It's great work from the county boards.

I would post the link from hogan stand but for some reason I can't

Most of the HoganStand info seems to have some from the Tullamore Tribune, and here is their full article.

http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/46325

Isn't it grand how they can put such a positive spin on owing such large amounts of money?
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.
User avatar
The Biff
All Star
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:23 pm
Location: Kildare (ex Daingean)

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby ah lethimoutwithit » Thu May 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Jayz good man Biff, not alone a negative Irishman, but nothing can top a negative Biffo!

Priceless!
ah lethimoutwithit
County player
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby manfromdelmonte » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:43 pm

under 16s beat Roscommon
only the best...
manfromdelmonte
All Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby ah lethimoutwithit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Result should surely be under a heading of its own?

Well done to the U16s on defeating Roscommon, Kildare were 2 pt winners previous week.
ah lethimoutwithit
County player
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby old yellar » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:04 pm

http://www.thescoops.ie/
This is a great service down here in carlow from 2 lads. They use the mixlr app to broadcast from the games off their phone. Its a free app and it just uses wifi/3g to broadcast. They are getting a grest listenership and its a fantastic service for the club scene. Its well worth someone trying it up there.
old yellar
All Star
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby Plain of the Herbs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Radio 3’s Will O’Callaghan has reported the following from tonight’s Coounty Board meeting via Twitter.

“Offaly GAA to restructure coaching and games development. Plan is for 4 part time coaches across county.”

“4 part time coaches believed to offer better impact/value than 2 full time coaches.”

“Padraig Boland admits club coaching in Offaly is ‘light-years’ behind. Players arriving at county panels underage lacking basic skills”

Leinster GAA have highlighted to Offaly their low levels of qualified coaches. ‘Need to get act together’ – Padraig Boland”

“Croke Park funding 67,500 euro of Offaly’s coaching budget, 50% of the cost.”


All of which begs the question – what does John Leahy do?
Is he up to the job?
Or is he not getting the support of the board who employ him and to whom (presumably) he reports?
Or perhaps is he not getting the support and cooperation of the grassroots whom he oversees?
His role, and his ability to carry out his job needs to be reviewed as part of the plan.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Postby kingscounty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:28 pm

4 fresh faces need to be put in place here I think , what results have we seen in underage to say that there is improvement in the last 15 years , couple of wins here and there but not one bit of silverware !
kingscounty
All Star
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Offaly GAA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests