Offaly GAA is in Some State

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly GAA is in Some State

Post by biffinbanner »

i listened to the inteview again and i think the point p boland was trying to make was that cody doesnt need to tolerate players who do step out of line..he has as good chomping at the bit to replace them.we got a small pool of players so we gotta indulge them a bit,no choice.i remember when offaly footballers were going well in 80/81/82 there were a few lads on the team and panel who often stepped outside the rules as set down.we couldnt afford to do without them then either.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Can people stop referencing the 80's/90's teams please. 20/30 years plus and lads are still talking about the 80's/90's and trying to make comparisons.

Also stop comparing Offaly to Kilkenny/Cork etc. It's complete nonsense.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offalys Future wrote:Can people stop referencing the 80's/90's teams please. 20/30 years plus and lads are still talking about the 80's/90's and trying to make comparisons.

But they were really great times, don't you agree?
The point is that some of our players need to decide if they want to put in the effort to become county players.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

SearingDrive wrote:
Offalys Future wrote:Can people stop referencing the 80's/90's teams please. 20/30 years plus and lads are still talking about the 80's/90's and trying to make comparisons.

But they were really great times, don't you agree?
The point is that some of our players need to decide if they want to put in the effort to become county players.
The past doesn't interest me.
Players will of course put in the required effort and commitment when the setup they are involved in is managed correctly.
At the moment this isn't the case so I would be very slow to criticise players. Offaly GAA needs reform and from what I have seen over the past few months that isn't going to happen. Unfortunately.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i think we have got an insight into the respect that the county manager hold the current offaly players .
that unfair to paint everyone with the same brush .
i think if two or three guys were a problem it would be normal but when 15 guys walk it looks as the manager may be the problem.
what bothers me is boland seems to be backing the manager 100% and blaming the players completely.
for years i heard the same about kilcormac killoughey the were unmanagable but since the current manager took over there has been no problems with all the same players full comitted .
maybe p boland should visit kk to see what changed ?
that is clear offaly need everyone full involved

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Any of the hurling gurus on this site at the open forum discussion on the future of hurling, wasn't it on last night?

Any feedback on how it went?

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

I wasn't at it but if you go to the Midlands Sport facebook page 2 players lambaste it. Apparently the presentation by Martin Fogarty on under age coaching was very good but it was poor apart from that. One of the slides in the improvement of Offaly hurling included ground hurling. Enough said.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Wasnt there but heard there were slides on ground hurling and back to how they did things in the 80s, ask KK and Tipp on ground hurling. No Q & A at the end either.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Couldn't make it so can't comment , but if we are still talking about ground hurling as a way forward we are already pissing again the wind . Was lone shark or BnM at it maybe some of the boys from here that were at it could enlighten us on how it went!

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Found this article that Fogarty and Dempsey to assist faithful.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=224128

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Buttons wrote:Found this article that Fogarty and Dempsey to assist faithful.

Just read that myself , two good men to have on board . Dempsey for me was and is key to the success Kilkenny have had over the past 14 years .

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I was.

It was excellent. Fogarty and Healy were class.
Talk about fitness (for a about 6 mins) Demspey going to do a course on it after the county final.
Talk about man management for about 30 mins.
Talk about positiveness for the the whole thing.
Talk about not doing to may drill in training.
Talk about how to build lads of all age skills.

Their was a Q&A at the end and it was a good one.
No fight just good questions.

I give more details when I'm not busy.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kingscounty wrote:
Buttons wrote:Found this article that Fogarty and Dempsey to assist faithful.

Just read that myself , two good men to have on board . Dempsey for me was and is key to the success Kilkenny have had over the past 14 years .
but sure Dempsey would have to give a hand isn't he half offaly anyway his mother was a Spain from Kilcormac :wink:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'll put up a more detailed post either later tonight or tomorrow when I have more time, but for the moment I'd have to say I was a bit more underwhelmed than Toxicity. The key thing for me was that it was sold as a forum regarding Offaly hurling generally, but was almost entirely devoted to coaching. Now I'm not saying for a minute that a forum on coaching wasn't worthwhile and more involvement will be needed of course, but a lot of people went there with a view to giving out about matters that weren't really up for discussion. If that was the plan, it should have been sold as such and you might have had an audience that was more into the theme than what was there.

Secondly, I'm all for positivity and looking forward rather than raking over the past time and again, but I think there was a bit too much focus on the "turn that frown upside down" spirit of the night and not enough on the actual nuts and bolts of what needs to be done, and how things are going to happen. I went in expecting Diarmuid Healy to present a plan, with key steps, a time line, and deliverable metrics. We got none of that, we got a lot of stuff which would be fine if it was being presented to coaches in a level one forum, but not for the setting it was in. I'm not saying we should have had big rows about problems, but the whole point of this exercise is to find solutions to issues, not to just pretend they don't exist.

I would also be sceptical of how much of the messages aired by Healy and Fogarty are really the truth of what happens in Kilkenny dressing rooms. In the interview myself and Will O'Callaghan had with Martin Fogarty afterwards (link below) I asked about a point in his speech where he made a big joke about how he was at a club meeting, and in item on the agenda was football. He said they drew a line through it, and that was it dealt with. He also referenced later in the presentation how someone dropped in some rugby balls into his school, and they were great, they used them for holding up books. I know it was playing to the audience to a degree and I know he was being light hearted, but the fact remains that six of our senior hurling clubs are full dual clubs and three of the others also field football teams at junior level. This is not Kilkenny and we need to work within those parameters, simply making a joke of it won't do.

His answer was that he was joking, but that as far as he was concerned a football match was more beneficial for lads than hurling training, since the best training is matches. Now I have real difficulty believing that a Kilkenny hurling manager would be delighted to see his players skip training to play a football match. Call me cynical, but there you go.

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/ma ... ling-forum
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I too was totally underwhelmed and I would say that a lot of people were more frustrated leaving than when they came in...... 2 men asked hard questions and they were glossed over! Will give more opinion later when I have more time!!
jimbob